Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

Setsail001 The cycle starts again
  • replies: 6

Hi all I’m so glad I found this place. Already reading through other’s comments and posts I feel not so alone. I hope it makes others feel this way too. ive struggled with depression and anxiety for over 10 yearsnow and it is a cycle. Once I think I’... View more

Hi all I’m so glad I found this place. Already reading through other’s comments and posts I feel not so alone. I hope it makes others feel this way too. ive struggled with depression and anxiety for over 10 yearsnow and it is a cycle. Once I think I’m through it, it starts again. Today is one of those days I can’t get out of bed which makes me feel guilty and pathetic (not saying that anyone here who can’t get out of bed are those things) and like I’ve taken a step or three backwards. I just can’t see a happy future for myself and feel like it is always going to come back. I have a full time job, a good partner though I’ve been questioning whether it feels right being with him anymore (don’t know if that’s the depression talking) and see a psych once a month or so. I’m a bit hopeless at the moment.. any support or advice would be great, thank you

vc21 im done
  • replies: 2

im not happy anymore. I know that for sure. but I dot talk about it to my mother because she never listens. she never does anything anymore, we used to be so close and now we can't be further apart. it has gotten to the point where I have learnt to s... View more

im not happy anymore. I know that for sure. but I dot talk about it to my mother because she never listens. she never does anything anymore, we used to be so close and now we can't be further apart. it has gotten to the point where I have learnt to say goodnight to myself because no one else will. I hate talking about my sadness because I hate sympathy. I have learnt to cope without attention to my feelings and so when someone asks me its so foreign and I don't like it. my soul hovers around this fake happy girl when she is at school to make it seem like im okay and nobody would notice but then when I am isolated with my thoughts the real me comes out.my hate for attention Maes it hard for me to speak out about my pain and see help because I don't like the foreign feeling. I have no love in my life and its slowly cutting me off. I feel so alone and im one.

future_ Please help me I am so sad all the time, I can not find anything to do after work to pick me up

I don't want to get out of bed anymore, I have to to go to work so I survive to keep a rented roof over my head. I have a 15 year old daughter how wants nothing to do with me anymore she has found her family in the internet, youtube or talking with f... View more

I don't want to get out of bed anymore, I have to to go to work so I survive to keep a rented roof over my head. I have a 15 year old daughter how wants nothing to do with me anymore she has found her family in the internet, youtube or talking with friends over facetime, skype. we argue every time i turn the internet off or ask her to sit with me and watch some telly. I am so sad about renting and want to just run. I am so ugly no one wants to date me at 50 years old, my neighbours hide from me, it's cold and my heart is broken

svetln No motivation to do uni work
  • replies: 1

Hello. I've been struggling with depression for a bit more than three years now. Recently I've hit a pretty low point in my life, and I found that my motivation to be productive with uni work has become almost none. I can manage to get myself out of ... View more

Hello. I've been struggling with depression for a bit more than three years now. Recently I've hit a pretty low point in my life, and I found that my motivation to be productive with uni work has become almost none. I can manage to get myself out of bed and go about my life, while it may not be all that exciting, it's something. I will be seeing a psychologist within the next week to manage this, but before then I can't exactly ask them for advice. While I was at school, towards the end of the year I noticed that my motivation to do work was becoming less and less. This became an issue because of exams, but I managed to do enough to not struggle through them. Now I'm at uni, and I find that I can see the same problem arising, although this time I've practically lost all motivation to do my work. I love the course I'm doing with all my heart, but I just can't seem to get myself to be productive about the work anymore. At home when I go to do my work, I find I just sit at my desk doing something other than what I'm supposed to be doing. Same goes for being in my lectures and studio session, I always seem to avoid the work, or not go in altogether. Sure, I've never loved doing school or school work, but I certainly know how important it all is, and I was never afraid to study that bit longer then the recommended time. Now that uni is more mature and stricter about deadlines, I'm unsure as what to do, particularly with the end of the semester coming up I can't get the date extended. This reason also makes me hesitant to speak to my lecturers, as not much can really be done. I was wondering if there could be any motivation tips/techniques that would be useful in my circumstances. Or is there anything else that could be recommended? Thanks

el000927 I think I need help but I don't know what to do
  • replies: 5

Hey, So for a while now I've been feeling pretty worthless. I live a pretty active life but I can't do any work (school work), am waking up tired, not sleeping enough, eating poorly, and there is also stuff going on with my friends at school, which m... View more

Hey, So for a while now I've been feeling pretty worthless. I live a pretty active life but I can't do any work (school work), am waking up tired, not sleeping enough, eating poorly, and there is also stuff going on with my friends at school, which makes me really irritable and depressed etc. My main issue is that I think I need help but I'm too scared. I don't want to talk to my parents about it, and I've talked to one of my close friends but I think I need more help. Can I book a GP appointment if I am under 18? If I want to see a psych I have to go to the GP first in oder for medicare I think. Even still, I'm scared to talk to someone I don't know. I think I'll break down crying straight away and not be able to talk. Any advice? Thanks

Knicks13 Unsure of feelings
  • replies: 3

I guess I’m just wanting to write down how I’m feeling/have felt for the last few months as it seems unusual. I have a great job, wife, kid, house and yet lately overall I’ve been feeling bummed out. On paper it looks like I’ve ticked all the boxes a... View more

I guess I’m just wanting to write down how I’m feeling/have felt for the last few months as it seems unusual. I have a great job, wife, kid, house and yet lately overall I’ve been feeling bummed out. On paper it looks like I’ve ticked all the boxes and shouldn’t have anything to be sad or unhappy about as there are many people who would see my life as great yet I still feel crappy. I’m not a talker of my feelings as such and I think the anonymity here is helpful. i have plenty of support but I really find it difficult to broach the subject to people that know me. Further, I then don’t want to be treated with kit gloves as a result. I get plenty of exercise and remain motivated, eat well and generally do all the things I’ve read that say “this is what you should do to be happier and healthier” yet again I still feel unhappy ultimately, I think I feel guilty that I have everything most people want out of life yet I’m not happy with my life... just wondering if anyone else has felt this way and in a similar scenario and what they’ve done to combat he negative feelings

louies Early pregnancy depression
  • replies: 4

Hi there. I am a 36 year old woman who is 7 weeks pregnant and struggling with a low mood. I have previously had anxiety and depression and I am on a safe medication to controlle it through my pregnancy. But unfortunately at this stage its not doing ... View more

Hi there. I am a 36 year old woman who is 7 weeks pregnant and struggling with a low mood. I have previously had anxiety and depression and I am on a safe medication to controlle it through my pregnancy. But unfortunately at this stage its not doing much for me. I'm struggling right now with hormones and feeling I'll and it reminds me of being in one of my depression states as the symtoms are the same. At some points it makes me have my growing baby and I feel guilty for that. Just won't to know if any one ells has experienced this and does it pass as the pregnancy progresses. Please help.

Open_for_joy More than a 'senior's moment' - Being hit from out of the blue

I am turning 66 in a week and have had a terrible 5 weeks where I have been hit by a sudden and unexpected bout of depression and anxiety for the first time in my life!! This has been very disabling and I have been struck by the severity of it and co... View more

I am turning 66 in a week and have had a terrible 5 weeks where I have been hit by a sudden and unexpected bout of depression and anxiety for the first time in my life!! This has been very disabling and I have been struck by the severity of it and confused about what I need to do about it. The strength of my reaction seems out of proportion to a recent crisis in the family but it seems to have raised a lot of issues that I just keep ruminating over. I am waking at 3am and spending hours dwelling on various issues. I have been feeling very flat and have no energy. But the most dramatic thing is how anxious I feel!! I have always been a bit shy at parties etc but this is very different - I am restless and agitated, and feel a little sick in the stomach and chest a lot of the time. The main reason I am making this post is the surprise I have felt with the suddenness of this situation and incredible powerlessness I feel in dealing with it. I have been quite happy to talk to my partner and close friends but there is a real issue about how much to keep talking about it and how much to "take control back" by trying to be positive etc Wondering if other people - particularly in my age group - have any similar experience or insights Best wishes to all Open for joy

jigglypuff99 Gave my all and still became a recluse..
  • replies: 4

I was broken from a young age.. my toxic parents didn't help me develop certain skills... but that was ok, I tried my best with no support, I worked my fingers to the bone in factories not knowing what my future held. I eventually got out the factory... View more

I was broken from a young age.. my toxic parents didn't help me develop certain skills... but that was ok, I tried my best with no support, I worked my fingers to the bone in factories not knowing what my future held. I eventually got out the factory and still work on my career on a daily basis.And try to get ahead. But an overwhelming depression and lack of energy for life coupled with bad choices bad friends and toxic family has left me alone sitting on the couch every minute I am not at work. Fat. And isolated beyond the ability to pull myself out of a hole. Without the energy to light up a room I have now found I am even struggling at work now.. working in male dominated industries you need to be aggressive or you will not survive. My fear is I am a train heading in the direction of a family-less , lonely , broken down body and empty life type town for which I tried my best to avoid. And this train is an express

Allan533 How to know if I'm over-burdening people
  • replies: 15

So I had a really, really bad time lately. And despite me really, honestly trying to minimise the support I asked for from my friend, apparently it was too much, and she said that she couldn't be there for me at that point, and that I'd been "over-us... View more

So I had a really, really bad time lately. And despite me really, honestly trying to minimise the support I asked for from my friend, apparently it was too much, and she said that she couldn't be there for me at that point, and that I'd been "over-using" her (not her words). And while obviously that hurt me a lot, I can concede that it's her right to do so: if she doesn't feel that she can help for whatever reason, it's absolutely OK for her to pull back. She has to take care of herself. But now I'm unsure how much I can ask people for support. My other two main supports are good friends, but one of them has anxiety issues, and the other has depression, and I don't want to cause extra stress on them, and clearly I can't tell if I'm going overboard. So the last few weeks I've been trying to handle things myself without asking for support, but frankly I'm not doing well. And over the last couple of days, while I haven't fallen back to where I was before, it's been a definite downward trend, despite my honest best efforts. In addition, this whole situation has led me to thinking that maybe my thoughts aren't entirely off-base. That I am a burden on the people around me, and I should pull away from them for their own good. I know that's not healthy, but... well, it's hard not to reach that conclusion, isn't it? I do have the occasional good day, and I try to take advantage of them as best I can. But it just seems like all that does is slow the descent. And I've seen where that descent goes. I don't want to go there, but I can't see a way to divert the track.