Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

KayStin34 Alone
  • replies: 2

I have lately been through some pretty traumatic stuff and i have not been myself, all my parents see is an ungrateful spoilt child who gets everything she wants so im apparently not entitled to feel emotion. With this in mind, i feel disconnected fr... View more

I have lately been through some pretty traumatic stuff and i have not been myself, all my parents see is an ungrateful spoilt child who gets everything she wants so im apparently not entitled to feel emotion. With this in mind, i feel disconnected from my life as though im here physically but not mentally and its scaring the crap out of me. Why do i feel completely and utterly alone all the time? or why do i feel so disconnected from the world?

Pysis Back again
  • replies: 9

So last year I had depression really bad and used these forums for support when I needed it and they really helped. I wanted and probably should of continued to post on the forums but life got to busy and I couldn’t find the time. Anyway I feel like ... View more

So last year I had depression really bad and used these forums for support when I needed it and they really helped. I wanted and probably should of continued to post on the forums but life got to busy and I couldn’t find the time. Anyway I feel like I’m depressed again and I don’t know what to do. I have a beautiful girlfriend, gorgeous puppy and good friends but I am working a job that is distroying me. I work at a camel dairy and was pretty much made assistant manager after a month of being there. I enjoy trianing and working with the camels but the hours aren’t great and I feel the camels aren’t getting the right care they need it the training that they need. My girlfriend works there as well and really doesn’t enjoy it either. Things are slowly getting worse with the camels and seeing them in pain and stressed is slowly killing me inside. I feel like I should be happy as my bosses are nice they just don’t really know what they are doing and I have an alright life at home. Becuase of the hours I’m working I don’t have time for my animals at home or any of my hobby’s or study and when I am home all I want to do is sleep. I’ve been offered a few jobs now and want to take them I just have no idea how to go about it and quit. I feel like I’m slipping mentally more and more everyday and I don’t want to get back to where I was last year, I don’t know what to do anymore.

Lizbon Chameleon/ Butterfly

People say these magic words.. It's not her fault she was "depressed" and I didn't know what I was doing... I know that I was doing things to feel alive. I know that I was having massive highs and lows. I just didn't show anyone. Seen but not heard. ... View more

People say these magic words.. It's not her fault she was "depressed" and I didn't know what I was doing... I know that I was doing things to feel alive. I know that I was having massive highs and lows. I just didn't show anyone. Seen but not heard. Smile but be unhappy. Laugh without knowing why. cry because I'm happy. LOL get that one.. freakin crazy! Argue to distract. Hide to feel safe. Don't talk to family. Have no friend only acquaintances. Love without feeling. I'm trying to stay positive now. and trying to find the right Dr to treat me. I've seen a few now and I find myself just telling them what they want to hear. I don't know why I do it. I've lied for so many years I can't be open to anyone. My husband has also turned around and said quit a few time, I don't know who you are, he thought he know me but now he feels he never did. But the bad thing is he has realized that i know him better than he thought. I play with peoples heads. Give them what they want to hear and I change my personality to suit every occasion. I scare myself with how good I'm at manipulating situations, I'm the chameleon. But also can be a social butterfly. What I need to do is STOP! Stop being someone, everyone else wants me to be and be myself. Problem... Who it that! And when I start thinking me, I hate myself. I do stupid things to remind myself that I'm worthless. That's what I will always be a disappointment, a waste of space. Hurtful to the ones I love the most. WOW the list goes on and on.. I'm ashamed of my past, and I'm never going to forgive myself for what I've done. How can one heal, if they know the person standing in the mirror is everything you despise in a person. How can one stay in the life they have, knowing that they will be trapped in a mind of a hateful person.

LilKiwiBoi Not Myself Anymore
  • replies: 1

So, at the start of Janurary 2018 I started feeling terrible. I got a massive brain fog, couldn't concentrate and at sometimes felt like I couldn't see. The range of things I've felt from Janurary to now is almost uncountable. Its effecting my job as... View more

So, at the start of Janurary 2018 I started feeling terrible. I got a massive brain fog, couldn't concentrate and at sometimes felt like I couldn't see. The range of things I've felt from Janurary to now is almost uncountable. Its effecting my job as I can't go to work without having a panic attack. In march all the brain fog and lightheadness went away. I finally started feeling normal again. In fact even now I feel normal. However I have this overall Numb feeling. Its not like my skins numb or my minds numb, It just feels down to the core that I'm Numb. Like my soul is numb or gone. I just feel empty. When ever I notice this my anxiety skyrockets and sends me straight into a panic attack. (Even writing this is spinning me into a panic attack) The numb never settles or goes away. Is this depression or am I dying? If I'm in my room alone I notice the numbness fairly often and feel uptight, however when I go to work (I work in a pub) as soon as the counter starts getting full I find myself going completely numb from my head to my toes and start falling into things in order to grab onto reality. I often end up sitting outside then getting sent home early due to my inability to work. The panic attacks end pretty quickly (A minute tops per attack) however I go into insane panic drive and throw myself around i.e running to the bathroom to suck water out of the tap or falling into things. I've been prescribed meds however I'm too scared to take the pills. I get panicky thinking about taking them. This numbness is overall ruining my quality of life, I don't feel like I'm here. I'm just kind of walking through life watching. I'm not suicidal however I am very worried about my wellbeing incase this isn't depression. I've been to several doctors all my results have come back fine. No history of family diease. My hands tremble from time to time if I'm feeling real anxious (Which is all the time) and it causes me to panic more about what if I'm dying. I'm coming here in order to try to find some common ground. because when I google this numb feeling or try to tell someone about it they all reroute it back to "Oh is it like emotional numbness?" But Its not emotional numbness, well I don't think anyway. I just feel like my body isn't my own and I panic as soon as I notice it. Should I start taking the medication? I've been to a therapist and it didn't help. I've always been very anxious but I've never felt like this. This is literally ruining my life.

Kegstar101 Dealing with being alone

I am recently single from a long term relationship and want to know if their is anyway to deal with this lonely feeling and actual enjoy being single? I don't believe that i will ever get in another relationship again as i have no confidence and can ... View more

I am recently single from a long term relationship and want to know if their is anyway to deal with this lonely feeling and actual enjoy being single? I don't believe that i will ever get in another relationship again as i have no confidence and can not speak to females. So with that in mind, are there any methods in dealing with loneliness and not wanting a relationship so bad? Because that is all i want and it is the main cause of my depression! Thanks

BeyondBen First time posting, long time depression.
  • replies: 4

Hey, I'm Ben. I'm not really sure what brought me to signing up an account here today, but I know that posting anything personal on FB, Instagram or any other social media is viewed as attention seeking so I avoid doing that. What I really need is ju... View more

Hey, I'm Ben. I'm not really sure what brought me to signing up an account here today, but I know that posting anything personal on FB, Instagram or any other social media is viewed as attention seeking so I avoid doing that. What I really need is just somewhere to get my thoughts out without having to pay for an anonymous blog site that no one will see anyway. Depressive thoughts aren't exactly a niche topic that people would pay to read I wouldn't think. Anyway, I'm 38. I have a stable job in the public service and 2 excellent cats that are the reason I look forward to going home to. Way better than being alone. It hasn't always been like that, back in 2010 I realised a dream of becoming a business owner and barely 3 years later that dream failed. I made excuses as to why. Bad timing, wrong business, wrong area, but all it really was in the end was my ego thinking I could just "make it work" because that's how I always did things. Just start and figure it out along the way. I'm still paying off the $100k debt, struggled for a year or so with some on and off again labouring work before getting my PS job back mid 2014 but I'm back on track financially. I had become used to being on my own for the last 20 years after a succession of failed attempts at finding someone special because I ended up just being a place warmer until they found someone better. That's not an exaggeration either. Every. Single. Time someone better came along for them. So told myself I'm better off alone, which I feel is true. I swore I'd never let anyone get close to me again but towards the end of 2016 someone came into my life and was relentless in her friendship building. We became fast friends and recently met Australia Day long weekend. I swore I wouldn't fall for her but we had been talking daily for over a year and I begged myself to keep seeing her as a friend. Though on more than one occasion we would say that we are pretty perfect for each other. We match and just clicked. it was inevitable to feel like this... She had become very quiet after about 2 months ago after meeting her, I put it down to her work load after taking herself back to Uni. Then last night I found out that someone new came into her life and I have become unnecessary. That was the reason why I barely hear from her at all, at best I get a few words in a reply. I always find out the hard way instead of just being told about it I'm over this. Soon I'll be 40 and alone. This is my life and thanks for reading.

gracebelle13 depressed and not sure what to do
  • replies: 1

lately i have been very depressed. this is my 3rd depression relapse, though i dont feel comfortable going to see a psychologist, hence why i am posting this. its not me refusing to help myself; im just too scared to truly open up. my friends, family... View more

lately i have been very depressed. this is my 3rd depression relapse, though i dont feel comfortable going to see a psychologist, hence why i am posting this. its not me refusing to help myself; im just too scared to truly open up. my friends, family and teachers have noticed a change in me and they keep asking me if im okay, to which i just tell them that im fine, even if i am visibly and quite obviously not. this is because my best friend gets angry when i cry and will start ignoring me and talking to other people. i dont want my friends to think my depression is me seeking attention, and i feel as though they really dont care and i am burdening them with my issues. i also dont want to upset my mum, as when i had my first depressive episode it seemed to take a toll on her, and i dont want her to suffer because of me. due to all of this i suffer in silence. i have absolutely no motivation to do anything. i have stayed in my bed for almost 2 weeks and i havent showered or changed my clothes for 5 days. i have school work and other things i know i need to do but the motivation is absolutely not there. i dont really like to talk about my problems and when people bring them up i just joke about it and then say im okay and you dont need to worry about it, but im really not okay. im not sure what to do at this point.

Andy71 Difference hypermaina or just happy

Hi there just wondering if in the last 3-4 or even longer if my high and positive live style is just part of a bipolar high . I lived depression free till about 43 then depression slowly crept in firstly not to bad but in the last year and a half I h... View more

Hi there just wondering if in the last 3-4 or even longer if my high and positive live style is just part of a bipolar high . I lived depression free till about 43 then depression slowly crept in firstly not to bad but in the last year and a half I had two mayor breakdown allways combined with a relationship breakup after depression kicked in - just wanna describe before I met those two woman I was really feeling great . I just describe what I been doing healthy eating surfing a priority( getting up early and using the day ) learning a instrument meeting new people good sexdrive took my bike to the desert ( when i ride my bike I don’t concentrate on any negative as I think it attracts the accident going bymyself on holiday and being adventurous buying nice things Working on my car getting into bed and can’t wait to start a new day - doing little projects living in the now not thinking about the future to much at work offshore I take day by day and don’t concentrate on the day I leave make the best out even if the work is crap i do Talk a lot , allways have - but not rapid just enjoyed the beautiful ocean and the hobby I do in under and on it being busy so there is no time for thinking when I start a relationship Iam always full on , think very much all possible into the future to quick - then depression comes and I get needy and the over sure i wasn’t like that all the the time but a lot and always before I meet anyone as that strong personality is attractive. Anyway now Iam worried my highs are unatural ? But I always kind of lived that way not thinking to much of the future and enjoying live , Now i worried that that is all just a part of bipolar bipolar????? Confused as I always been like that just without the depression part ...... that s just active since the last 3 years and I think I know what caused it (( working fifo , loneliness, not connected with peoples, no friends, no family, daughter growing up , isolation, midlife crises , no purpose , not being needed) so are my positive feelings normal or just a up ??? Confused a lot

Missberri How do you build a support network
  • replies: 5

Hi hope you're all doing well! I moved to a new place about 6 months ago and I feel as if I'm starting to sink. I feel like I'm losing myself and I just don't have anyone around who I can talk to. I feel completely hopeless and I don't why I just can... View more

Hi hope you're all doing well! I moved to a new place about 6 months ago and I feel as if I'm starting to sink. I feel like I'm losing myself and I just don't have anyone around who I can talk to. I feel completely hopeless and I don't why I just can't cope with these things like other people do and just move forward with my life. I was living with my parents before I moved here but I'm getting used to not having them around - this has made me feel more alone than ever and it's an awful feeling. I was just wondering, does anyone know any ideas to meet people around you especially when you're feeling so horrible? I feel like I'm not the life of the party right now and I don't even know if I can speak to people anymore and have a normal conversation! I was so hopeful when I moved up here that things would be better but it's been so awful as I've just been so stuck in my head and almost scared of what's out there.. If anyone can provide some advice that would be so great!

Jacq333 Diagnosis made me feel worse
  • replies: 4

I got diagnosed with depression and the diagnosis has made me feel worse. Any suggestions how i can get this out my head?

I got diagnosed with depression and the diagnosis has made me feel worse. Any suggestions how i can get this out my head?