Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

elegantDownfall I don't feel wanted in this world
  • replies: 2

Hi Beyond Blue Forums, I've been feeling rather down and very much unwanted by the people in my life. I feel like I'm always second-rate, used and will never ever be good enough for anyone. My friends and family are all very talented, high achievers ... View more

Hi Beyond Blue Forums, I've been feeling rather down and very much unwanted by the people in my life. I feel like I'm always second-rate, used and will never ever be good enough for anyone. My friends and family are all very talented, high achievers and aim for good careers and a solid future. Me on the other hand, I'm always supporting my friends dreams, encouraging them to take chances and feeling happy for them. I try my best to work hard and do well, hoping that one day I'll be able to shine and stand next to them. But I realised, no matter how much I try, how much time and effort I put in- I'll never be good enough for anything, I'll never be able to succeed and I'm just not going to have a future. My parents at home are supportive of me, but they don't see the whole picture. They kind of feel that if I'm well fed and have a roof over my head, then I'll be happy. I'm also limited to how much emotion I can show in my household. Since my family has always been very large and happy - with no one ever having a history of mental/emotional issues, they don't really understand how to deal with someone been upset or going through a phase of emotional breakdowns. Overall I just don't feel very wanted. I feel that my friends kind of have me there just for the support. They'll use me once and then kind of throw me away. I'm always second-rate in everything, I'll never stand out and I kind of accepted that I will never be special to anyone. I always feel isolated from this world, tired and really just want to give up.

ScarlettR Does heat cause mental illness?

As it's well known, Australia has intense heatwaves. In recent years, the summers had gotten hotter (global warming?) and the Bureau of Meteorology said that heatwaves could cause mental illness. I agree with this. Any thoughts?

As it's well known, Australia has intense heatwaves. In recent years, the summers had gotten hotter (global warming?) and the Bureau of Meteorology said that heatwaves could cause mental illness. I agree with this. Any thoughts?

white knight Mood changers
  • replies: 5

It is understandable that those with mental illness are more moody. An extreme of this is bipolar. Moods are an inherent part of day to day life...such is why mood stabilizer medication is usually prescribed. Along with such medication, bipolar or no... View more

It is understandable that those with mental illness are more moody. An extreme of this is bipolar. Moods are an inherent part of day to day life...such is why mood stabilizer medication is usually prescribed. Along with such medication, bipolar or not, we should seek a bundle of remedies to approach our illness. Just like relaxation is good for anxiety and therapy good for BPD sufferers, a multi pronged approach is the best way. With moods we can add these ideas to our arsenal. We have several body sensors that can trigger good feelings and alter our mood. Hearing. How many of you have a change in mood when you turn the music on? Make sure you select the up tempo happy music though or your mood can plummet as mine did recently when a sad song from the 1970's reminded me of my dash to the bush escaping society. Eyes. Look up. See the blue sky. Today a neighbor told me he saw 13 wedgetailed eagles in the sky at one time. Wow! Clouds, wow! Look at nature. Adore the animals in the sanctuary. Observe. Skin. How many of us welcome a hug? Just someone touching us. Words aren't always needed. Argh...someone is here, that's good, that's peaceful...I'm not alone.... Taste. A mint. A simple lolly can distract your mind that's in a bad place. I love cooking, different tastes. It's turned into a hobby that changes my mood. careful not to bake cakes....they flop = bad mood. Instead I cook thins easily done like donuts, vegetable pies and Anzac biscuits. It also gets positive reaction from family taste testers. That boost confidence. Smell. Ever got out of a car at the top of a mountain or in a forest and taken a deep breath? Argh...that's so nice. What about picking roses from your garden and placing them in a vase in eyeshot of your seating position in the lounge? You instantly smile as you sit down. A mood stimulator!! With the mind we should feed it. Give it what it wants. What is clear is that just remaining stagnant saying to yourself "I'm in a bad mood" is not allowing for any stimulation and we don't believe we can be stimulated because of our mindset. Bad moods are like automatic negative irritations that we think are not controllable, not unlike depressive states. We can usually do something about it. Remember the senses and the apology to the person on the receiving end of our mood. It might not be your fault but it certainly isn't theirs. Tony WK

Coadie I’m broken

I need help, I loved her and she’s hurting, I’m hurting. She said she needs time to heal, she said I can’t help but that’s all I want to do. I just want to help her, I can’t even help myself

I need help, I loved her and she’s hurting, I’m hurting. She said she needs time to heal, she said I can’t help but that’s all I want to do. I just want to help her, I can’t even help myself

jax_in_my_heart Bipolar 2 - suspect medication is slowing me down and I hate that
  • replies: 1

I was diagnosed with Bipolar 2 about 18 months ago, and it took a good 12 months for me to adjust to this and try to take my medication regularly. My biggest problem is that I feel I’ve lost part of what made me ‘me’. I used to be able to a thousand ... View more

I was diagnosed with Bipolar 2 about 18 months ago, and it took a good 12 months for me to adjust to this and try to take my medication regularly. My biggest problem is that I feel I’ve lost part of what made me ‘me’. I used to be able to a thousand different things, I worked full-time and had several very busy volunteer jobs, and studied, and I always crammed it in. Now I find that I’m not really interested when I get home from work. I still go out all the time, work full-time, see friends, etc, but I just don’t go at the frantic pace I used to. And I really miss that, because it gave me so much joy and fulfillment. I can’t work out if this is because the pills make me slow down and more ‘normal’ speed, or if it’s due to my relationship break-up six months ago, or maybe I’m just getting older (I’m 35). Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Meowface Only feel safe at home
  • replies: 5

I’ve always been a homebody but have felt my depression and anxiety get worse in recent months. At the moment I really only feel safe and comfortable when I’m at home - I’m very anxious to get home when I’m out and even have left work conferences ear... View more

I’ve always been a homebody but have felt my depression and anxiety get worse in recent months. At the moment I really only feel safe and comfortable when I’m at home - I’m very anxious to get home when I’m out and even have left work conferences early in a fluster to get Home. I’m often tired because of my meds but this is really getting in the way of my life - especially being able to stay and focus at work. Any tips for coping with being out??

Yosh Depression and the Extrovert
  • replies: 3

Hello community. I've had this question on my mind for a long time and if anyone can shed some light, I could do with some help. I'm 24 and looking to start my career - which ironically is in counselling. When I look back at everything I've managed t... View more

Hello community. I've had this question on my mind for a long time and if anyone can shed some light, I could do with some help. I'm 24 and looking to start my career - which ironically is in counselling. When I look back at everything I've managed to do and accomplish, I have a whole list of amazing moments. I have a great support network and I genuinely love meeting new people and socializing. Everyone around me knows me for my positive energy and humor. But what they don't know is that I spend a lot of time hating myself, feeling anxious and worried and, at least for the last month, crying alone. My depression is getting worse because I'm thinking I won't make it. When I'm in my lowest low I hate myself and I feel powerless. Every time I do something, I do it wrong. I've realised that I social with others as a mean to pretend that everything's fine but it's just fake. The people around me aren't actually friends and I have no one to turn too. I've never felt more alone and yet I find myself being the typical extrovert. I'm tired of putting up with front. Has anyone else felt like this? Is it somewhat okay to go against the typical symptoms of depression as an extrovert?

apricotandcreams Just before all the bad feelings kick in, I feel insanely happy, why?
  • replies: 1

In the last year or so, I have started to experience depression. It isn't too severe, only lasting a few days at a time before my head clears and I am back to my regular self. What I have figured out is a pattern is starting to emerge though. In the ... View more

In the last year or so, I have started to experience depression. It isn't too severe, only lasting a few days at a time before my head clears and I am back to my regular self. What I have figured out is a pattern is starting to emerge though. In the days preceding my mental health taking a turn for the worse, I am very happy, energetic, productive and ready to do anything that is going to use up the energy I have. Then, sometimes in the space just a couple of hours, I will become lifeless. I'll be tired, unable to think, super distracted and most of all numb - all the things you'd expect from depression. If anyone out there has tips on ways to smooth the transition from going form super high to crashing lows I would appreciate it. Or even for when I am in that state, tips for dealing with the numbness that would also be appreciated! Cheers fam

AnxSam Unemployed- Feeling Depressed
  • replies: 3

Hi All, Just recently (last month) I lost my job after only being there 7 months. This wasn't my fault but a company restructures and I, unfortunately, was one of the ones that had to go. Its been 6 weeks and all I've done is focus all my time and en... View more

Hi All, Just recently (last month) I lost my job after only being there 7 months. This wasn't my fault but a company restructures and I, unfortunately, was one of the ones that had to go. Its been 6 weeks and all I've done is focus all my time and energy on trying to find another job. I've been unsuccessful multiple times and find that I'm not getting far in my search. I'm getting severely anxious and depressed in the process because i think as time goes on my chances of being hired are going to drop. I have signed up to multiple agencies and have had no luck with them also. I'm exhausted and feel like I cannot do anything until I find something so I don't end up in a downward spiral that I cant get myself out of. FEELING STRESSED, CANNOT SLEEP AND REALLY WORRIED ABOUT MY FUTURE.