FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Difference hypermaina or just happy

Andy71
Community Member

Hi there

just wondering if in the last 3-4 or even longer if my high and positive live style is just part of a bipolar high .

I lived depression free till about 43 then depression slowly crept in firstly not to bad but in the last year and a half I had two mayor breakdown allways combined with a relationship breakup after depression kicked in -

just wanna describe before I met those two woman I was really feeling great . I just describe what I been doing

healthy eating

surfing a priority( getting up early and using the day )

learning a instrument

meeting new people

good sexdrive

took my bike to the desert (

when i ride my bike I don’t concentrate on any negative as I think it attracts the accident

going bymyself on holiday and being adventurous

buying nice things

Working on my car

getting into bed and can’t wait to start a new day -

doing little projects

living in the now not thinking about the future to much

at work offshore I take day by day and don’t concentrate on the day I leave

make the best out even if the work is crap

i do Talk a lot , allways have - but not rapid

just enjoyed the beautiful ocean and the hobby I do in under and on it

being busy so there is no time for thinking

when I start a relationship Iam always full on , think very much all possible into the future to quick - then depression comes and I get needy and the over

sure i wasn’t like that all the the time but a lot and always before I meet anyone as that strong personality is attractive.

Anyway now Iam worried my highs are unatural ? But I always kind of lived that way not thinking to much of the future and enjoying live ,

Now i worried that that is all just a part of bipolar bipolar????? Confused as I always been like that just without the depression part ...... that s just active since the last 3 years and I think I know what caused it (( working fifo , loneliness, not connected with peoples, no friends, no family, daughter growing up , isolation, midlife crises , no purpose , not being needed)

so are my positive feelings normal or just a up ??? Confused

a lot

2 Replies 2

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hello Andy71

Wow, it sounds like you have had a really hard time of it over the past year or more. So good you've made your way to Beyond Blue (BB) forums. Welcome! You'll find people hear are friendly, caring, supportive and respect privacy. We aren't counsellors or therapists, but we are willing to share our experiences of mental health.

You certainly sound like you're very active and maintain a healthy lifestyle. These are all good for helping with depression. I'm not so familiar with bipolar, though I do know that people experience, highs and lows, as well as some outgoing behaviours. You may be best to do a google search -

Bipolar - Beyond Blue

Depression - Beyond Blue

From my own experience, I too have highs, doing and achieving lots of things (new hobbies, new volunteer work, new house projects, etc). Then I can't move for a couple of days after my strenuous activities. I've never been diagnosed with bipolar and to be honest, i don't think I have it.

I would go to my GP and ask the question - give them examples as you have above. See if they can shed some light on how you're feeling.

Overall, you seem to be doing fine and possibly okay. But, I'd check it out.

Hope the above helps.

Kind regards

PamelaR

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Andy

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for your detailed question.

I am not a doctor . I have been diagnosed with bipolar for over 40 years.

The thing about bipolar highs is that they are often out of character with one's personality. The behaviour can be so extreme that it affects your ability to function.

Everyone has mood swings but it is when they are so exaggerated that they start interfering with your every day life. I would spend so much money when high that I went into debt and it was stuff I didn't want or use, I would change courses at uni at a whim, be so impulsive I would hurt people- something I would never do that when not high, I would have no inhibitions so my behaviour was outrageous and dangerous mainly to myself.

As Pamela says it would be a good idea to have a chat to the doctor. You could even show your doctor the list you wrote about your highs.

I think many people go full on at the start of a relationship.

For me, I did not think there was anything wrong when high only when depressed.

Other people could see the changes but I did not have any insight and I was in denial for many years.

It is about behaviours as well about how those behaviours affect one's ability to live one's life.

I am no expert as I said, I just have my lived experience.

I have a question for you , What makes you worried that your highs maybe part of bipolar? Has someone mentioned this to you, or is it something you worry about?

Feel free to post when you want. Thanks for sharing your post.

Quirky

Everyone experiences bipolar highs differently.