Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

Maree17 Help? Advice? Anything?
  • replies: 1

I'll summarise: • Suffering from depression for a few years now • Managed with antidepressants • Feeling numb, libido non-existent, questioning if the drugs are causing me to lack real joy also? • Constantly tired • Failed all units at UNI, dropped o... View more

I'll summarise: • Suffering from depression for a few years now • Managed with antidepressants • Feeling numb, libido non-existent, questioning if the drugs are causing me to lack real joy also? • Constantly tired • Failed all units at UNI, dropped out as of this mid-year break - feel as though constant tiredness and lack of motivation is the main cause for this. • Went off antidepressants cold-turkey about a month ago • Withdrawal symptoms such as fatigue, dizziness, hypersomnia, vivid dreams, low mood, foggy head, etc. • Sick of waiting for withdrawal symptoms to go away (I know it's not a good idea to quit cold-turkey and without medical advice - did it anyway cause I'm sick of feeling less-than-average). • Took antidepressants again for the first time in a month, tonight. Cant deal with the never-ending need for sleep, dizziness and brain so foggy sometimes I cant even formulate a single sentence. • Cant talk to loved ones about this because I know what I SHOULD be doing and what they would say/feel (and I dont want to burden them or make them feel like I'm a mess and cant look after myself). I just want to be normal and have normal emotions and be able to handle everyday things like UNI and work and the stuff that everyone else seems to get though, even though it can be a slog. I just want to feel like I can do normal things and be a functioning member of society. I dont know what to do. Exercise, meditate, seek help, spend time with friends, eat a good diet. I know that's what I'm SUPPOSED to do. I just dont have the energy or the willpower.

Transitory Online resources
  • replies: 5

Hi, I'm dealing with a lot at the moment, but I don't know how to put it all down concisely. I've followed the basic steps, booked in with my GP, been referred by the online chat here. But all I really want is somewhere online to talk to someone, via... View more

Hi, I'm dealing with a lot at the moment, but I don't know how to put it all down concisely. I've followed the basic steps, booked in with my GP, been referred by the online chat here. But all I really want is somewhere online to talk to someone, via text preferably. Is that a thing? Beyond being given FAQ , information and referrals, I mean. Just to try to articulate what's going on. No one in my personal life is available, and I'm really struggling to deal with things. Betterhelp looks like a total scam, but that's the kinda thing I'm looking for.

Jaymore Some days are good but most are bad
  • replies: 3

It's getting increasingly harder to keep pushing through the pain I feel everyday. I have struggled with depression for 8 years and it feels like I'm just getting worse. My biggest problem is not being able to believe that people care about. I'm bles... View more

It's getting increasingly harder to keep pushing through the pain I feel everyday. I have struggled with depression for 8 years and it feels like I'm just getting worse. My biggest problem is not being able to believe that people care about. I'm blessed to have so many good people around me who tell me they love me a lot. Somewhere deep down within me I know that's true. But most of the time I just can't see it. As a result I just have a sense of loneliness all the time. I am scared to reach out because I feel like I'm a massive burden to the people that would support me. I know many people feel like this so I am wondering for some ways others use to reject this feeling of worthlessness and inadequacy.

Binga007 Don’t want to look like I’m seeking attention
  • replies: 2

Hey I’ve just recently joined the group after looking for some advice. I’m a male that for the past 3-4 years I’ve been suffering from depression. When I’m down I’m really down and get stuck in rut which I can’t get out of for sometimes days and week... View more

Hey I’ve just recently joined the group after looking for some advice. I’m a male that for the past 3-4 years I’ve been suffering from depression. When I’m down I’m really down and get stuck in rut which I can’t get out of for sometimes days and weeks on end. In the past, months have gone by when I wouldn’t eat or sleep or leave my room, but I thought I had finally got through this. Recently, I have started to experience some of these things again. Some days are really good, but some days are the worst I’ve ever been. My moods are never stable and I can feel myself taking it out on my girlfriend to the point where she gets really upset because I’m just so down. I feel like if I told her what I’m going through it might help her to understand a bit and make me feel a little better. But I feel like if I go out and tell her, I don’t want her to think that I’m making excuses or wanting sympathy or attention. I never really show my emotions so I struggle to speak about it. I’ve never spoken to anyone about this, as I don’t want people feeing sorry for me. Has anyone had similar feelings? How have they gone about opening up?

Jacko13 New here

Hi 1st post. Just found this while googling for answers. Im in my early 30's and diagnosed with serve anxeity and depression. Im married, with kids and quite successful. i currently get professional help from my gp and psychologist. lately i just fee... View more

Hi 1st post. Just found this while googling for answers. Im in my early 30's and diagnosed with serve anxeity and depression. Im married, with kids and quite successful. i currently get professional help from my gp and psychologist. lately i just feel empty and withdrawn. I feel so alone and feel like im going crazy. I dont feel i can talk to my family...when i say talk i mean the heavy stuff that is really on my mind. i wouldnt say im suicidal but some days i dont want to be here. Its quite hard to explain. I want to be here and wouldnt hurt myself, i just dont want to feel empty anymore. I guess if i could run away i probably would. I find it quite difficult to talk to people about how i really feel and what i am really going through. i guess i figured maybe i would find people who possibly feel the same so i dont quite feel alone anymore. im starting to struggle and with being a mum wife and working full time the pressure is on not to breakdown or fall apart. Its hard really hard. I have been trying to work on myself for years now and i guess right now i feel like i have fallen right back to rock bottom with no way up. I am trying to recover the best i can but its hard when you feel alone. i can see the toll it takes on my family and that breaks my heart. i am looking forward to being apart of the online forum. I may not post alot but i feel maybe just reaching out and hearing other peoples posts i might not feel so alone in my battle. Thank you Jacko

Lolue Stuck in a Rut

Unfortunately 2019 so far has gone very well, I got dumped by bf via text after dating 6 months i dont mind that it ended as the relationship wasnt working but it was hard being dumped via text, my sister then broke up with her boyfriend and shes bee... View more

Unfortunately 2019 so far has gone very well, I got dumped by bf via text after dating 6 months i dont mind that it ended as the relationship wasnt working but it was hard being dumped via text, my sister then broke up with her boyfriend and shes been struggling with her depression, my dad just lost his job on friday as his employer cany afford to pay everyone unfortunately my dad had only been working there for 6 weeks so it was last in first out case so he will need to go back onto centrelink. My mum doesent work and does not want to work so this means that i am the only one in my household working again. Ive noticed over the past weeks that my depression has gotten bad again i feel stuck in a rut, useless, teary and ive been missing an ex boyfriend from 2 years ago (a break up that was horrible and i didnt handle well). I plan on calling my doctor on monday to schedule a appointment to go back on antidepressents as i feel like im struggling against the current. I do see a pyschologist and she gets back from a holiday on monday, and i go to a yoga class once a week so that im not just stuck in thd routine of go to work, go home repeat. But i just wish the things get bit better and toget through this depression and lonliness.

CeeDee2018 Depression perimenopause feeling hopeless

Hi everyone. I thought I would join Beyond Blue because Im really struggling at the moment and don't have any support networks around me. I'm 49yo single female, going through peri-menopause, my partner and I broke up 3 months ago because I was reall... View more

Hi everyone. I thought I would join Beyond Blue because Im really struggling at the moment and don't have any support networks around me. I'm 49yo single female, going through peri-menopause, my partner and I broke up 3 months ago because I was really struggling with symptoms of anxiety and was having difficulty making long-term commitment decisions with him, so I panicked and left him, I'm still struggling with that stupid decision because I did love him and he was the most wonderful man I've ever known, we were inseparable so being alone again is a real shock.. particularly at this age. I've struggled with a drug addiction for the last 5yrs, I initially started smoking 20yrs ago, self medicating for insomnia and over the past few years I've desperately been trying to give up but failing every time, it's made me completely antisocial but I just felt happier being away from people, but now I've realised how much it has affected my life, I don't want to smoke anymore, I don't want this solitary life, but I'm lonely so it night it stops me from going crazy with boredom at night, so I'm really struggling with the vicious cycle. I don't know how to get myself back to being social and meeting people. I'm very young at heart, never got married or had kids and I'm still renting (for which at my age I'm constantly being judged for) I find it difficult to make friends in my age group because I feel like I don't have anything in common with any of them and everybody already has their social groups. I'm seeing a psychologist, but I'm just really lonely, I'm not on medication because it's not really clinical depression, it's more situational due to loneliness, lifestyle factors (and hormonal) Today It's a beautiful sunny day outside and I'm lying on my bed crying wishing I had someone to go and hang out with, I really don't know how to make friends at this age, it's so difficult.

uplift123 I dont see my life getting better despite how hard I try

I'm new to this all so I am not quite sure what to say but any advice is welcome and I'm appreciative of it, I felt unhappy and alone for most of my life since my teenage years but lately it has been much worse. I feel like there is no hope, I'm exha... View more

I'm new to this all so I am not quite sure what to say but any advice is welcome and I'm appreciative of it, I felt unhappy and alone for most of my life since my teenage years but lately it has been much worse. I feel like there is no hope, I'm exhausted all the time, alone, sad and I don't have a positive outlook on life despite my best efforts. A bit about me, I'm 21 year old and I'm almost done with university, I am the type of person to try very hard in all things I do. I get excellent grades and will hopefully have a good career in engineering, I work out and get lots of exercise but I am disappointing in my love life. I have never had a girlfriend before and have been told multiple times I'm not relationship material and that I'm not good looking, once by a girl who I had become friends with by helping her with the course work and I asked her out only to be rejected and made to feel inadequate because of my face. The thing is that I am quite slim and have a fit physique, but I just have a ugly face and I'm not good enough for a relationship. I just get the feeling that those around me get the happy ending, my first found a guy she wants to be with, my friends are in happy multi-year relationships. I just want to feel accepted for who I am, someone to care about me and not overlook me for someone else, and someone to care and love me. I know that being in relationships doesn't automatically make you happy, however the feeling of not being good enough is horrible and I strongly believe is impacting me. I'm afraid to see what my life would be in 5 years time, alone, miserable and trying not to be bitter. I don't blame or hold anger towards the girls who rejected me or overlook me, I can only blame myself. I cant turn to my family because my mother is insistent that I am incredibly good looking and every time she says that It really hurts knowing your mother is either lying to you are unable to see you for who you really are. Hence I'm here asking for advice.

David Depressed Again

I recently found myself becoming depressed and dissatisfied with my job. I was also dissatisfied with my home life. It then led to me having a sick day, then a 2nd day, then a whole week off. After that i decided to have a 2nd week off. (Not sure if ... View more

I recently found myself becoming depressed and dissatisfied with my job. I was also dissatisfied with my home life. It then led to me having a sick day, then a 2nd day, then a whole week off. After that i decided to have a 2nd week off. (Not sure if I was just lazy or I really needed it). As I was casually employed the employer decided to let me go as they needed someone reliable. I was sorry about losing the job but felt i wasn't totally happy with it anyway. Before i started taking the time off I was just going through the motions at work, I would look at the clock all the time and just go through the motions. At the moment I am home but I have this restless feeling inside, yet when I try to get things done it takes me ages. I guess you could say I am bored at the moment.

wolfspirt556 can i get some advice on my depression

its my first time posting. i am looking for some advice to help me deal with my depression. i have been in depression for 6 years now and it gets worse every day. its that bad i have no reason to live. my parents hate me, none of my family loves me, ... View more

its my first time posting. i am looking for some advice to help me deal with my depression. i have been in depression for 6 years now and it gets worse every day. its that bad i have no reason to live. my parents hate me, none of my family loves me, i have no Friends i am always alone. can i get some advice plz.