Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

Emjay6509 I'm new here, & not sure what to do about my anxiety..
  • replies: 1

Hi, I am new to BB and to be honest was quite nervous to post anything on this website but I am hoping to talk to some people who might understand what I have been feeling. I am a 23 year old female and have been reasonably healthy for most of my lif... View more

Hi, I am new to BB and to be honest was quite nervous to post anything on this website but I am hoping to talk to some people who might understand what I have been feeling. I am a 23 year old female and have been reasonably healthy for most of my life. I never really struggled with anxiety when I was younger although I have always been a "worrier" and "perfectionist" which I just accepted as me being me. I was however involved in a car accident about 5 years ago and my health has taken a bit of a dive since, as I developed chronic reflux and have been on tablets since. But even after the accident I never had any issues with anxiety. About a year ago I started getting more frequent anxiety attacks - at first I dismissed it as stress and just hoped that it would go away when things settled down for me but instead they just got worse and worse. These attacks come on at random times, I will be feeling fine & out of nowhere my heart starts racing, I start shaking, feeling nauseous, dizzy and have even experienced vertigo a couple of times. I had these attacks on and off for about 6 months straight but they went away for a month or two. But they have just recently come back & it is starting to take its toll on me. I haven't been sleeping properly - I wake up in the middle of the night with an attack and it can take hours for it to settle down. They can come on while I'm driving, and the anxious feeling just consumes me and I feel trapped and sick and feeling sick just makes the anxiety worse. Because I have experienced these attacks whilst I'm driving, it makes me not want to go out. I have been to my GP who suggested I go on medication but I would really like to avoid that as I don't like tablets being the solution for everything & I don't want to become reliant on them. I have been feeling like I am under so much pressure lately, and all I want to do is just curl up and cry. I just feel like whenever things start to get better, something else comes up that makes everything a mess again. I just don't know who to turn to, and I apologise for the essay I have just written, but I really appreciate it if you did read the whole thing & hope that someone might be able to relate to all of this.

MissyA chasing my tail
  • replies: 4

Hi I am a newbie. I have been suffering from headaches and nausea on and off for 3 months. The headaches and nausea has caused me extreme anxiety to the point of not being able to function and look after my family. I have been seeing a physiologist a... View more

Hi I am a newbie. I have been suffering from headaches and nausea on and off for 3 months. The headaches and nausea has caused me extreme anxiety to the point of not being able to function and look after my family. I have been seeing a physiologist and have just recently been put on medication. I just dont know where I am at and in such a rut.I feel so guilty not being the mum I should be.

Pixie15 Don't just do something. Sit there.

Hi, I have trouble doing nothing. When my anxiety sets in I can become particularly active although the activity I choose is not necessarily well thought out or productive. I am coming off a period of necessary high activity due to dealing with my pa... View more

Hi, I have trouble doing nothing. When my anxiety sets in I can become particularly active although the activity I choose is not necessarily well thought out or productive. I am coming off a period of necessary high activity due to dealing with my partner having an accident. During this time I have managed to do everything necessary and hold things together but have let my own self care go. This has been a feature of my life. Although I do not really know how I would do anything differently. If something needs to be done it needs to be done. I am just wondering if anyone else can relate to this. Christine.

tulpa Go to tafe feel anxious, stay home get depressed.
  • replies: 8

hi, I had to study for five hours to day which may not sound like much to most people but I broke down crying in class it was an online module so I just turned the microphone off, I've cried every day for nearly 2 weeks now except tuesday for some re... View more

hi, I had to study for five hours to day which may not sound like much to most people but I broke down crying in class it was an online module so I just turned the microphone off, I've cried every day for nearly 2 weeks now except tuesday for some reason feeling ok that day. Whenever I try to do something with my education or work it makes me feel anxious and cry uncontrollably whenever I stay home and do nothing I feel guilty and depressed. I'm 29 now and feel like i shouldn't be at home not doing anything all day but this course is becoming too much for me despite everyone there being friendly and the work itself being easy. I'm also worried I'll start crying in class one day.

reggie11 This is my first step...

Well this is hard, and embarrassing, but if I don't do something soon I fear that I will have lost everybody in the world that I love. I have only just discovered this forum and have been very touched by the stories and amazing support provided by ma... View more

Well this is hard, and embarrassing, but if I don't do something soon I fear that I will have lost everybody in the world that I love. I have only just discovered this forum and have been very touched by the stories and amazing support provided by many wonderful people so I'm hoping that by writing this and putting it out there that I too can start to move forward from my mental illness. I'm a 52 yo female with a self diagnosed extreme anxiety disorder. I am not currently receiving any medical treatment for this but do acknowledge that I must see a gp asap. On reflection I believe that I have suffered from this disorder in some form most of my life and have had a few short stints on anti-depressant medication over the past 10 years but didn't really feel any relief from them. I don't have a regular gp in this city and the thought now of finding one and actually getting to an appointment terrifies me. You see I have become almost completely debilitated by my illness. I have successfully, over the past five years or so, lost all my friends and many relatives. One of my sons will not have anything to do with me and has denied me access to my beautiful twin baby grand-daughters. Another son has schizophrenia and has put me through a harrowing 10 yrs or so but thankfully he is stable atm and has just recently left home and moved into his own accommodation with the help of mental health services. I am extremely worried now about my 30 yo daughter that lives with me as I am starting to see signs that she is developing an illness due to my 'madness'. Last night she told me that she had been advised to 'just leave me' so I expect that this will occur in the coming weeks. I see hatred in her eyes every time she looks at me. I have another daughter not at home who is supportive of me, and who will I know, help me on the road to recovery. What is my 'madness'? Well I just can't do anything. I can't answer the phone, or the door. I can't look for a job because it causes me too much anxiety. I really struggle these days to leave the house, anxious that someone will see me. I can no longer manage my life and it is crumbling down around me very quickly. I have no income atm and I am too anxious about that to go to social security. I will lose my home very soon if I don't get help. I'm sick of spending my days crying and shaking and I owe it to my family to try to recover and reinstate 'normality' in our lives.

Wolf Stressing.Depressed.
  • replies: 2

Hi, I guess this is my first posting and Im not sure how I go about this. I had a breakdown a couple of years back and since then Ive not been myself. I used to be easy going and now Im getting better but Im in a relationship and its at the place whe... View more

Hi, I guess this is my first posting and Im not sure how I go about this. I had a breakdown a couple of years back and since then Ive not been myself. I used to be easy going and now Im getting better but Im in a relationship and its at the place where Ive been anxious a lot and snapping at people in my new family. Not yet married but she has 3 kids and I have 2 of my own who live with their mother. Seems when ever the ex is causing problems I get worse. Ive gotten so bad I yell a lot. I never touch them but the yelling causes issues with my partner being in the middle. Im seeing a counsellor but Im not sure if thats helping or not. Mental health recently suggested I see a psychologist through a group they recommend or do referrals to and Ive had my medication doubled to try to help. My issue right now is when I get anxious I tend to hide away using my phone or iPad as a crutch. I don't know how to stop using it and it can be at any time. A family event shopping or even dealing with at times not being able to leave the house. Its causing issues now too. Yet its the one thing I find I can escape the stress with. Nobody in the family seems to understand the stress and anxiety Ive been going through or how I feel. My partner says she's been there but she doesn't seem to understand how Im feeling when it happens. Hell I don't even understand it at times. I just get emotional and in tears all of a sudden and I don't know what to do about it. I want to retreat to calm down sometimes but I never seem to be able to be left alone to deal with things going on in my head and I need help. I can't keep dumping my problems on my friends all the time. And I worry I will never find the right person to get help from. I don't know where to go or who to be able to just let everything out to and I don't want to lose my partner and her kids who I love so much as my own. Can anyone help me with advice. I really need a place or something to let my concerns out and destress. I don't want to bottle things and I can't right now talk to my partner or her family. And my family. You can forget me turning to them for understanding. They have no clue how I feel or where to begin.

E123 Severe Anxiety after a night out drinking alcohol

Hey guys I'm having a lot of trouble with anxiety after a weekend of binge drinking. I know I shouldn't have done it but I have and now I'm finding it really hard to cope. I keep thinking that everyone hates me, I have no friends, over thinking every... View more

Hey guys I'm having a lot of trouble with anxiety after a weekend of binge drinking. I know I shouldn't have done it but I have and now I'm finding it really hard to cope. I keep thinking that everyone hates me, I have no friends, over thinking everything and my partner isn't talking to me which is making things so much worse. Someone please help me get through this tough time. My mind is killing me.

tulpa Adults with imaginary friends/worlds?
  • replies: 5

I've been suffering anxiety and depression a long time, have had several trips to the psych ward. This is going to sound a little weird but I've always been a heavy daydreamer, imagining fantasy worlds and far off planets recently I looked into it it... View more

I've been suffering anxiety and depression a long time, have had several trips to the psych ward. This is going to sound a little weird but I've always been a heavy daydreamer, imagining fantasy worlds and far off planets recently I looked into it it could be called a paracosm or even maladaptive daydreaming, at any rate I read further and something called a tulpa can be created which is a fancy way of saying imaginary friend I'm thinking of going for it I only have 1 or 2 friends in the real world. I just hope this won't cause me to shut off further. Haven't told my doctor about this one either.

alifelivedalone Hi! Trying to sort my life out

Hi everybody, I'm a 27 year old girl who was diagnosed with anxiety and mild depression a year ago, after it got so bad I was just desperate for it to stop so I finally went to the doctor, I've not being prescribed any meds and if I'm being honest I ... View more

Hi everybody, I'm a 27 year old girl who was diagnosed with anxiety and mild depression a year ago, after it got so bad I was just desperate for it to stop so I finally went to the doctor, I've not being prescribed any meds and if I'm being honest I don't think I've gotten much better either. I've been seeing my therapist as recommended but I feel the same as I always did. I'm from a rural background so I've just worked on the farm and never really had any outside friends or activities, but my dad died 7 years ago and although me and my mum tried to keep the farm going we just couldn't do all the work, so late last year we sold. Now I'm friendless, boyfriend-less, hobby-less and educational-less and not very happy as you can imagine I want more from my life. I've travelled a bit with my mum and I'd love to continue but I'm too sacred to go alone. I dropped out of school in year 8 due to bulling and, what I thought at the time, a reliable future in agriculture. I'm now trying to go back to school, which as I'm sure you can imagine is a huge deal, I started last week in a year 12 program but I'm concerned with my lack of education I'll fail. I feel sick and shaky before every class and I have weird nightmares over it too. I've never even written an essay and my math is pretty bad and I have no idea about note taking! I don't want to fail.....I tend to want to quit before then which means I never get anywhere! My ultimate goal is University but at the moment I just feel like maybe it's too late for all that? I don't know. Anyway I'm hoping I can find some kindred sprints and support on this board Vanessa

askignquestions My story and need suggestions
  • replies: 11

I'm new to Australia. I moved here from the US in October to do my PhD. I've had social anxiety forever (selective mutism as a kid and just anxiety forever) but it was under control. I had a month of meds when I got here, but there were issues gettin... View more

I'm new to Australia. I moved here from the US in October to do my PhD. I've had social anxiety forever (selective mutism as a kid and just anxiety forever) but it was under control. I had a month of meds when I got here, but there were issues getting a doctors appointment and ran out of meds. So my anxiety went through the roof and it started getting hard to even think- my mind would just go blank and I would sit at my desk for hours. A professor helped me find Community Mental Health and take a month off work. My anxiety went down and I went back to work. I could feel my anxiety rising again, first to panic attacks then to going blank and not being able to read. And thats where I am now. I see the doctor weekly and we are playing with meds to prevent going blank while at the same time making it possible to interact with people. But I dont know. The Acute Care Team is calling me a few times a week, so I have them to talk to, but I feel so alone. My friends don't know anything, only a couple supervisors know a bit. I just dont know what to do. Lately its been real hard at night- I want to disappear. I dont want the day to come and I dont want to even fall asleep. When I walk past a mirror all I can think is how big I am. I just feel so messed up. I dont even know what to call any of this. I just need friends and I dont know how to make them with my anxiety. I retreat into myself all day. But when I do that I start to have conversations in my head, playing out different scenarios. My mind never stops, unless I go blank. And when that happens it gets hard to talk or move sometimes. I dont know what to do. One doctor suggested moving back home, but I want to do my PhD. But if I can't think or read anymore, how can I? beyondblue's clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636