Young people

A space for people aged 12-25 to discuss life. If you’re over 25, please be mindful that this is a space for younger people to connect.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

romantic_thi3f Eeep! When study is overwhelming! - Tips, ideas and coping strategies
  • replies: 51

Hi! Just thought I’d make a post with some tips for study. I know this is something we can all struggle with. These are all suggestions so feel free to take them or leave them! Hope they help! If you only remember one thing, let it be this: You are i... View more

Hi! Just thought I’d make a post with some tips for study. I know this is something we can all struggle with. These are all suggestions so feel free to take them or leave them! Hope they help! If you only remember one thing, let it be this: You are important. Your grades don’t define you. (support) Studying can feel isolating but know you’re not alone! Reach out – and find or make friends that can support you along the way. If you’re having trouble finding some friends, join some local communities or clubs! They have lots at Uni’s and even stuff like open days are great ways to meet new people and find out what’s happening. Study groups can also be a great way to meet people and stay motivated. Also remind yourself why you’re doing this; inspirational wallpapers or quotes can be super inspiring. Remember the saying about the oxygen mask? If you can’t take care of yourself first studying will be harder. You are important. You know the drill - water, food, exercise, sleep. Try to stay calm. Stuff that might be able to help include mindfulness, breathing exercises, colouring in, going for walks, journaling, listening to music… If you’re struggling – reach out. See a therapist. Talk to your student counsellor. If you need help, don’t be afraid to ask for it. Also lots of Universities and TAFE offer disability services – which includes conditions like Depression and Anxiety. (study) Find the right study space for you. Maybe that’s in your room, or a coffee shop, or the library. Some people find that noise helps; other people not so much. If you like particular kinds of noise, you can find ‘coffee shop’ noise or ‘rain sounds’ to help concentrate. Make a plan. It helps to do it often so it becomes a habit. Anytime you get a due date, write it down. Maybe you could use a diary, planner, bullet journal or an app. I find the 30/30 App helpful - study for a bit and then break for a bit. You can also get add-on’s for your computer to block sites like Facebook if you find them too distracting. Find out what study technique works for you. Do you like cue cards? Mind maps? Colour coding? Does highlighting stuff help you remember? Charts, maps, diagrams? Recorded lectures? Goals! These are so important – not just writing down deadlines but rewarding yourself for meeting them. Even making smaller goals like ‘read two pages from a textbook’ can help. Break it down into bite size pieces, and don’t forget to reward yourself after!

Sophie_M NEW TO THIS FORUM? Please read this first
  • replies: 0

The Young People space is a sub-forum within the wider Beyond Blue forum community. 1. Its purpose is to provide members aged 25 and under a space to discuss anxiety, depression and other related life issues. If you are aged over 25, please be mindfu... View more

The Young People space is a sub-forum within the wider Beyond Blue forum community. 1. Its purpose is to provide members aged 25 and under a space to discuss anxiety, depression and other related life issues. If you are aged over 25, please be mindful that this forum is a space for younger people to connect and provide peer support for each other. 2. Content from this sub-forum is displayed on both the beyondblue and youthbeyondblue websites. 3. Please bear in mind that some members find content relating to suicide and/or self-harm distressing or triggering. If you would like to post on these topics, please do so in our Suicidal Thoughts and Self Harm section. Please see also our guidelines for making posts on this topic. Posts made here in the Young People sub-forum containing content relating to suicide and/or self-harm will be moved. 4. These forums are moderated, so your posts may not appear straightaway. Information on how our system works can be found here. Being familiar with our community rules can help ensure that your posts appear online as quickly as possible. 5. This is a peer support community, and to get the best out of being here we recommend that you 'give support to receive support'. More on how that works here.

All discussions

claire_b Experiencing severe anxiety at university and am in a rut; advice is appreciated!
  • replies: 3

I have had a very long running, precarious relationship with completing my university degree. In fact, at the age of 22, when most of my friends have graduated and are pursuing their careers, I find myself still in the first year of a degree that I a... View more

I have had a very long running, precarious relationship with completing my university degree. In fact, at the age of 22, when most of my friends have graduated and are pursuing their careers, I find myself still in the first year of a degree that I am unsure about. Some background: I have always really struggled with studying during highschool. Even though I have been described as highly intelligent by many of my peers and teachers, I have never seemed to be able to sit down and focus for long enough to get anything productive done, or with any kind of consistency. When it comes to knuckling down and organising myself to study, it appears that my mind becomes a mess! I will sit down to study and get distracted by a minor detail, and before I realise it, hours will have passed without me having completed anything productive. Despite this, I managed to graduate with good grades. I started a bachelor's degree in architecture, which I absolutely loved. However, in the second semester of university, when I was 19, my mother passed away due to cancer. This is when everything started to fall apart. It seemed to me that the very foundations of my life had collapsed. All of a sudden, it appeared that I was alone to navigate the world. Nothing made sense anymore; it was as if I'd woken up one day living in a different universe. A universe that was unsafe, unpredictable and dangerous. I deferred uni for a year, after which I entered an abusive relationship that left me emotionally damaged for years. It also fragmented my relationship with my family, who were severely against my boyfriend. After this relationship ended, I started experiencing severe bouts of depression and anxiety which have only started to subside recently, four years later. Although I tried to pursue my architecture course, the place was too much of a strong reminder of previous events and ultimately, I ended up dropping out. Last year, I started to pursue a law degree at a different university, but really struggled. My father had just left the country, leaving us to financially support ourselves. I had no parents left; emotionally, it hit me really hard. As a result I have failed many units over the years and have lost a lot of confidence. Whenever I sit down to study now, I am faced with severe anxiety and thoughts that I am an incompetent, useless failure. I am currently seeing a therapist, however would really appreciate advice from anyone who may have had similar experiences.

Zoster Why do I feel so empty?
  • replies: 2

I mean, my life is going fine. I'm in my last year of school, got some cool friends... but why do I feel so empty? I wake up in the morning and I'm still tired, I can't focus on more than one thing or I muck things up, just the thought of talking abo... View more

I mean, my life is going fine. I'm in my last year of school, got some cool friends... but why do I feel so empty? I wake up in the morning and I'm still tired, I can't focus on more than one thing or I muck things up, just the thought of talking about my problems to my mum makes me feel sick. I was brought up in the country and where I lived, to talk about your feelings was seen as a weakness, which is why I can't do it today. I lived there for 5 years so I suppose it's been moulded into my head hasn't it? I just don't know what to do... I've heard about this site but... I really don't see how it can help. But oh well.... I'll give this a go I guess.

Bodey294 Anxiety in cars
  • replies: 5

Hi there BB community forum, just checking in to see if anyone relates to vehicular driving anxiety. I will tell you about my experience with vehicles. Since I was probably about 6 years old I have had random fluctuations of panic when driving in a v... View more

Hi there BB community forum, just checking in to see if anyone relates to vehicular driving anxiety. I will tell you about my experience with vehicles. Since I was probably about 6 years old I have had random fluctuations of panic when driving in a vehicle. My heart will race and I will start to feel extremely dizzy. I cannot bare it. It happens when I feel trapped and have no other possible way out. My thoughts for example might be like this when traveling on the free way in mums car: "there's a car behind us, that means we have to keep going no matter what, what if I wanted to stop, I couldn't if I wanted to, we have to remain at this speed or accelerate, that our ONLY option at this point in time" then I will feel very dizzy and try to hold onto something. This dizziness will last for a few seconds but the anxiety might last for a few minutes. It is worse when sitting in the front seat so sometimes I will hop into the back seat to avoid it. Another example happened a few months ago where I was on the center bit of the tram with a full carriage. As it was moving my thoughts of entrapment had started and my heart rate increased so I got off and walked the rest of the way (2 blocks from my destination) rather than to endure a panic. If anyone has had a similar experience or feels this way too please tell me your experience and how do you try to deal with it? Thank you

MaxRyan What do I do

Hi, this is my first time writing on this so I’m not to sure how this works but here I go. My life has been spiraling out of control for about 2 years now, I’m now 18. My father died a week before my 17th birthday and I haven’t really spoken about it... View more

Hi, this is my first time writing on this so I’m not to sure how this works but here I go. My life has been spiraling out of control for about 2 years now, I’m now 18. My father died a week before my 17th birthday and I haven’t really spoken about it to anyone, I just feel like they don’t need to hear about it so I bury it inside me. I’ve always had a handfew of friends but when my dad died it’s like only 3 of them were really there for me but I’ve pushed them away, so I feel like I have no one. I have a girlfriend, but I had an incident where I was highly intoxicated and was taken advantage of that was about a year ago I still haven’t told her because I feel like I need her to support me, but I don’t think I can handle the guilt of not telling her what happened. ive always been an quiet person but when these two things have happened I just feel like apart of me is broken. I can’t remember the last time I was truely happy, i just put on a fake smile and pretend I’m alright but deep down I just don’t know what to do

Katiecakes96 I need help to grieve

Last November my baby brother passed away suddenly. He had been sick and sent home from the emergency room. Mum and dad were told he was a little blocked up and they gave him a nasal spray. A few short hours later he died at home in front of his twin... View more

Last November my baby brother passed away suddenly. He had been sick and sent home from the emergency room. Mum and dad were told he was a little blocked up and they gave him a nasal spray. A few short hours later he died at home in front of his twin sister. Mum and dad tried to revive him and the ambos and everyone did their best but weren't able to save him. This brought a whole new level of sadness and depression upon myself and my family. No one should ever go through this. Now I struggle everyday and my boyfriend has been great but I keep pushing him away and I just don't know how to let him in. He just sits on his computer game every day after work until he goes to sleep. I'm feeling more lonely everyday and I don't know how to cope. Sleeping is so difficult and going to work is difficult I just don't know how to life anymore. I feel trapped, I feel like I don't belong anywhere. I feel incredibly sad all the time. I'm afraid of losing everyone again. I don't know how to talk about how I feel and I just wish I could let my boyfriend into my head and how I'm feeling without pushing him away. I feel as though he's going to leave me because of how I am.

Bella_bee Metaphorical frying pan
  • replies: 5

Hi, I’m new. I graduated last year and I turn 18 in two weeks. I’m not going to uni until next year since I wasn’t up to snuff physically to get into the Air Force. I work everyday at the local grocery store, and I was bullied in high school. I only ... View more

Hi, I’m new. I graduated last year and I turn 18 in two weeks. I’m not going to uni until next year since I wasn’t up to snuff physically to get into the Air Force. I work everyday at the local grocery store, and I was bullied in high school. I only have one close friend and they are out of town. I’m lonely, I cut off all ties with everybody, and I’m supposed to be somebody by now. I feel like this is what it’s going to be like forever, and that terrifies me. I tried to date someone and I try to talk to people because I’m very out going, but I’m terrified because my last relationship and close friendships ended up being abusive. I don’t want to go to a dark place again, but I feel like my life is stagnant while everyone leaves me behind. I expected more for myself, not sitting alone every night. I don’t know where to go from here.. I’m tired of being sad and scared all the time. Is it normal to feel like this? What can I do to fix this and mature?

Chromatic My whole family hates me...
  • replies: 6

Just like the title says, my family hates me, and I have no idea why. I'm 12 and I'm in year 7. For as long as I can remember, my mum has hated me. My sister is super smart and she skipped grade 1 and got heaps of scholarships and everything. I'm con... View more

Just like the title says, my family hates me, and I have no idea why. I'm 12 and I'm in year 7. For as long as I can remember, my mum has hated me. My sister is super smart and she skipped grade 1 and got heaps of scholarships and everything. I'm constantly in my sister's shadow and she is constantly reminding me of this. Whenever people come over, all they can talk about is how great my sister is, and it's like I don't even exist! I get good grades as well, but I know that my sister will always be better. I know this, but my mum thinks that every kid is supposed to get straight A's. She thinks that I'm really dumb! My younger brother is in grade 1 and he's getting average grades, but my mum doesn't care. I don't get it! What am I doing wrong. My mum is always yelling for every single little thing, and she thinks that I'm the one causing it! She constantly tells my brother that I'm a horrible sister. The only times I've ever really felt good with my family around was when we go to Brisbane(I live in Melbourne btw) to visit my mum's family. My grandparents and cousins live there and it's super fun since I rarely ever see my mum when we're there. But most times it's only for one week during the school holidays. I've lived in 4 different houses in my lifetime and have been to 6 different schools. I moved to Brisbane for two years and it was probably the best 2 years of my life. My mum has always pushed me to get good grades and when I do get good grades she just tells me to try harder. Like I'm not already trying my hardest! I hate it living with my family and I plan on moving to America and changing my name to cut all ties with my family when I'm older. But that's ages away and it's so hard everyday living with my family. I have this idea to move to Brisbane to stay with my grandparents, who actually love me, and leave my family behind at the end of the year, but my mum probably won't even let me. I have heaps of friends who live there, but I've lost contact with them and none of my school friends have even been to my house because of my mum. I'm just a normal girl with friends, but my family hates me! I don't know if I should ask to move to Brisbane or just wait till I can move out. Please help me!

Artistlover Is it even possible to get a job with anxiety.

I'm 17 and I live with severe anxiety disorder. And I had never had a job and I don't think I'm capable to get myself a job because I feel like I don't function like a normal human being but just someone that is always nervous all the time. I can nev... View more

I'm 17 and I live with severe anxiety disorder. And I had never had a job and I don't think I'm capable to get myself a job because I feel like I don't function like a normal human being but just someone that is always nervous all the time. I can never make eye contact with people, my hands get shaky when I try to do a physical task, I sweat easily from tasks that I should have no problem with. And personally, the biggest problem for me is my memory. I used to be someone would be the best at memorizing things. Now..it's just humiliating to talk about it. Can't spell basic words, can't remember simple tasks to do or what someone had said to me, I have trouble trying to say a sentence and stutter alot. One of my family members tried to take me on as an apprentice for their business and they were quick to give me up after I kept making so many mistakes. I just don't see how anyone would hire someone like me and honestly I wouldn't either if I was someone else.

J28 Anxiety and nausea

Hey it’s my first time posting on something like this - I’m 19 and have been struggling with increasingly severe anxiety and depression since I was about 11 or 12. My anxiety manifests itself mostly in the form of extreme nausea - I can’t even count ... View more

Hey it’s my first time posting on something like this - I’m 19 and have been struggling with increasingly severe anxiety and depression since I was about 11 or 12. My anxiety manifests itself mostly in the form of extreme nausea - I can’t even count the amount of times I’ve vomited because of my anxiety. It’s quite rare that I experience the typical symptoms of anxiety and panic without the nausea, but when I do, I’m pretty good at getting myself through it okay, but the nausea just makes it so incredibly hard to fight through and to not focus on my unhealthy thoughts. As I’ve grown older, it seems that there are more and more things which make me anxious, and it’s becoming more and more necessary for me to do things like get a job and use public transport - two things which are currently nearly impossible for me. Highschool was horrible and involved me leaving the classroom to go vomit in the toilet at least every day, and I barely made it through year 12 exams. Now I’m in uni, and I’ve moved out of home, but I don’t even go into uni most of the time because I’m terrified of public transport due to the amount of times I’ve vomited on buses or trains. I want to get my licence so bad but I’m way too worried about my nausea distracting me during my test or making me vomit. I need a job desperately - I’m relying on Centrelink’s youth allowance right now and I’ve tried applying for countless jobs. The few who called me back were either too far to walk, meaning I’d have to take public transport, which scared me away from the job, or they basically said I needed a licence and car to be hired. I’ve done so much research on anxiety and coping mechanisms - I’m a psych student myself, but I’ve never found anything that specifically addresses or helps with severe nausea like I have. I’ve tried antidepressants with no results, and it’s getting to the point where I can’t even go to a counselling because I have no way to get there or be calm in an anxiety/nausea inducing scenario. I’m so exhausted and I’m really just wondering whether there is anyone who has a similar experience, and if they’ve found some way of managing the nausea? I’m willing to try any medication or therapy or anything at this point - I’m so sick of vomiting all the time thanks in advance, Jake

Cannie What help would you want?
  • replies: 1

Hi everyone, I'll try and keep this as short and sweet as possible. My boyfriend (BF) lives on campus at uni and I stay with him about 2-4 nights a week. One of his main reasons for moving on campus was to make friends. We both originally shared a fr... View more

Hi everyone, I'll try and keep this as short and sweet as possible. My boyfriend (BF) lives on campus at uni and I stay with him about 2-4 nights a week. One of his main reasons for moving on campus was to make friends. We both originally shared a friend group, but had a falling out which means it very rare that we hang out with people outside of us two. While I am totally ok with this and have very little desire to make new friends, BF is the opposite. He misses having a more friends and has always liked the idea of having lots of friends. So because of this, living on campus seemed like a really good fit for him as there are always heaps of uni events and "hall activities" going on. At the start of his first semester there he went to almost all of the orientation events, but being mid year not many people went so he didn't meet anyone there. In the following weeks he also went to a fair few hall activities but after each time he came back disappointed about not hitting it off with anyone. As time went on he also became more and more annoyed with the people at the events and eventually just stopped going to anything non essential. During this time he would get quite depressed about not being able to meet people and would be really harsh on him self. This year starts another semester on campus for him and despite uni not being officially back yet, already he is getting a bit depressed about not going to the hall activities. I think he's gotten to the stage where he's too afraid that he'll fail again. Naturally he isn't a super out going person and as much as I hate to admit, at first glance he can seem a little standoffish despite being an incredibly caring and interesting guy. I would hate for this to be another disappointing year for him so I have come for the advice of all you lovely people as to what you would want me to do if you were in his situation? Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!