Young people

A space for people aged 12-25 to discuss life. If you’re over 25, please be mindful that this is a space for younger people to connect.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

romantic_thi3f Eeep! When study is overwhelming! - Tips, ideas and coping strategies
  • replies: 51

Hi! Just thought I’d make a post with some tips for study. I know this is something we can all struggle with. These are all suggestions so feel free to take them or leave them! Hope they help! If you only remember one thing, let it be this: You are i... View more

Hi! Just thought I’d make a post with some tips for study. I know this is something we can all struggle with. These are all suggestions so feel free to take them or leave them! Hope they help! If you only remember one thing, let it be this: You are important. Your grades don’t define you. (support) Studying can feel isolating but know you’re not alone! Reach out – and find or make friends that can support you along the way. If you’re having trouble finding some friends, join some local communities or clubs! They have lots at Uni’s and even stuff like open days are great ways to meet new people and find out what’s happening. Study groups can also be a great way to meet people and stay motivated. Also remind yourself why you’re doing this; inspirational wallpapers or quotes can be super inspiring. Remember the saying about the oxygen mask? If you can’t take care of yourself first studying will be harder. You are important. You know the drill - water, food, exercise, sleep. Try to stay calm. Stuff that might be able to help include mindfulness, breathing exercises, colouring in, going for walks, journaling, listening to music… If you’re struggling – reach out. See a therapist. Talk to your student counsellor. If you need help, don’t be afraid to ask for it. Also lots of Universities and TAFE offer disability services – which includes conditions like Depression and Anxiety. (study) Find the right study space for you. Maybe that’s in your room, or a coffee shop, or the library. Some people find that noise helps; other people not so much. If you like particular kinds of noise, you can find ‘coffee shop’ noise or ‘rain sounds’ to help concentrate. Make a plan. It helps to do it often so it becomes a habit. Anytime you get a due date, write it down. Maybe you could use a diary, planner, bullet journal or an app. I find the 30/30 App helpful - study for a bit and then break for a bit. You can also get add-on’s for your computer to block sites like Facebook if you find them too distracting. Find out what study technique works for you. Do you like cue cards? Mind maps? Colour coding? Does highlighting stuff help you remember? Charts, maps, diagrams? Recorded lectures? Goals! These are so important – not just writing down deadlines but rewarding yourself for meeting them. Even making smaller goals like ‘read two pages from a textbook’ can help. Break it down into bite size pieces, and don’t forget to reward yourself after!

Sophie_M NEW TO THIS FORUM? Please read this first
  • replies: 0

The Young People space is a sub-forum within the wider Beyond Blue forum community. 1. Its purpose is to provide members aged 25 and under a space to discuss anxiety, depression and other related life issues. If you are aged over 25, please be mindfu... View more

The Young People space is a sub-forum within the wider Beyond Blue forum community. 1. Its purpose is to provide members aged 25 and under a space to discuss anxiety, depression and other related life issues. If you are aged over 25, please be mindful that this forum is a space for younger people to connect and provide peer support for each other. 2. Content from this sub-forum is displayed on both the beyondblue and youthbeyondblue websites. 3. Please bear in mind that some members find content relating to suicide and/or self-harm distressing or triggering. If you would like to post on these topics, please do so in our Suicidal Thoughts and Self Harm section. Please see also our guidelines for making posts on this topic. Posts made here in the Young People sub-forum containing content relating to suicide and/or self-harm will be moved. 4. These forums are moderated, so your posts may not appear straightaway. Information on how our system works can be found here. Being familiar with our community rules can help ensure that your posts appear online as quickly as possible. 5. This is a peer support community, and to get the best out of being here we recommend that you 'give support to receive support'. More on how that works here.

All discussions

CooperPatton I need help
  • replies: 4

Things wrong with me: Constantly negative thinking Constantly thinking about the past Constantly comparing myself to others Starting to really hate my appearance in basically every way possible Poor Memory Poor Focus Basically zero gratitude. Extreme... View more

Things wrong with me: Constantly negative thinking Constantly thinking about the past Constantly comparing myself to others Starting to really hate my appearance in basically every way possible Poor Memory Poor Focus Basically zero gratitude. Extremely low confidence "Every one is staring at me" feeling when I'm at the shops If somebody asks me what's the matter and I decide to explain, I start crying to the point I can't explain what's wrong. I always have something to worry about, if I fix one issue and stop worrying about it another issue will pop up and I'm feeling awful about that until I eventually get over it, then the cycle repeats. I never laugh even when I know something is funny. I smile at best I can't have a conversation with someone without focusing properly, making eye contact etc. As much as I want to I can't even watch TV to distract myself, I end up zoning out thinking about the past and future, comparing myself to people on the TV. The list literally goes on. I'm turning 21 in a couple of months, people in my family are all doing great things and here I am. ^^^^^^ If you have any questions or advice, please don't hesitate. I've been trying to improve myself for so long and I'm starting to lose hope. Thank you for reading x When I do find myself in a positive head space I

The_Dark_Nugget My girlfriend broke up with me because of her parents.
  • replies: 3

Hi Everyone This is my first thread so here goes. I ment the most amazing girl ever and I instantly fell in love with her, and she felt the same but her parents didn't want her to have a boyfriend so we had to keep it a secret. It went well for weeks... View more

Hi Everyone This is my first thread so here goes. I ment the most amazing girl ever and I instantly fell in love with her, and she felt the same but her parents didn't want her to have a boyfriend so we had to keep it a secret. It went well for weeks but somehow her parents found out and she had to break up with me. I feel like she cares way to much about what other people think because she didn't even hesitate to break up. Am I wrong for thinking this? Her sisters and her friends keep hassling me about it. And its getting harder it go to school because I have to see her everyday. Thanks for listening. tdn

Oblivious1303 Dealing with self hatred
  • replies: 2

Hey guys, I just need a bit of support if, that's all good. Recently I've been going through a bit of self hatred, and a couple of days ago, my ex broke things off with me and now I'm stuck in a rut. I hate how I deal with things when I get emotional... View more

Hey guys, I just need a bit of support if, that's all good. Recently I've been going through a bit of self hatred, and a couple of days ago, my ex broke things off with me and now I'm stuck in a rut. I hate how I deal with things when I get emotional or upset, because I manage to take it out on the people I care about. And that's why she broke things off with me. That was the last thing I wanted, I hate what I've done and now it's gone to complete sh*t. I can't fix it, she wants nothing to do with me anymore but I want to keep trying to fix things. I don't know how to cope with this. I hate myself so much right now, I just don't know what to do.

Perryson Dude where's my head?
  • replies: 6

Hi guys first time using these online forums, so bear with me. ill start off with my background and where my life's at now... about 7 years ago I finally broke, split up with my partner in which I thought was a serious relationship, wasn't enjoying w... View more

Hi guys first time using these online forums, so bear with me. ill start off with my background and where my life's at now... about 7 years ago I finally broke, split up with my partner in which I thought was a serious relationship, wasn't enjoying work, wasn't enjoying where I lived, just wasn't enjoying life as a 23yr old should. I had a load of debt and not much to show for it. I drank, turned to party drugs. I was tired and 'had enough'. every choice I made felt like a downward spiral at incredible pace...i remember breaking down in front of my mum...my poor mother, I felt like I was making her feel guilty for seeing me in my low. It was the best thing that could have happened at that time. Like a weight had lifted and I had someone to help me. i saw a doctor, I can't remember what his diagnosis was because I was so nervous, embarrassed, all the emotions. I got medication for it which I took for a week but made me feel like a zombie.. since then I've felt good. in the last 2 years I've been happily married and moved states to be with my wife's family, were building our first home and expecting our first baby. im unsure if it's stresses of a house and baby at once or if it's my brain. I'm not on a high point or a low point, it's more lacking in excitement or pleasure. Simple things like buying myself a $50 item I talk myself out of as I can't see reward in it and it's feeling like it's most things. I don't really have any male friends in my new town and even my good mates from home seem distant. Sorry if it makes no sense, but thought I'd connect with others so it doesn't build up in my head. Any pointers would be appreciated. Many thanks

CusCus Stuck in a deep rut of isolation
  • replies: 4

This is my first time ever visiting this website after considering it for a long time. I just felt like I needed to get this off my chest but at the same time don't feel too comfortable bringing it up with my family members. As the title suggests, at... View more

This is my first time ever visiting this website after considering it for a long time. I just felt like I needed to get this off my chest but at the same time don't feel too comfortable bringing it up with my family members. As the title suggests, at the moment I feel as if I am stuck in the social aspect of my life. I'm now going into my second year of university and realised I made no new friends that kept in touch from first year. As of late, I find it more and more difficult to make friends which I feel is related to my history of friendships. Way back in primary school, I had a really tight group of friends (a squad haha) that would always meet up at class and every weekend and holidays. However, going into middle school, a huge amount of new students entered our year, and so our group sort of split up. While everyone seemed to find their own group of friends, I was the only one who was caught in the middle and couldn't quite fit in to a single group. All the way through to Year 11, people told me I seemed so charismatic and confident, but in reality I was crying on the inside. I didn't have a best friend and anyone to confide in. In Year 12, I met someone who was overwhelmingly optimistic. He would always talk to me and skype call me to just talk about life. We had a great time that year, but as the year went by, I found myself replying to his facebook messages later and later. I think I was scared of losing contact with him after highschool. Sure enough, over the Summer holidays, we just lost contact. We got into different universities but I tried messaging him a few times to arrange a meet-up. He'd always reply with things like "Yeah we totally need to catch up!" and sound really excited. But when the meet-up time comes, he says he's busy. I haven't really talked to many people during my time in Uni. I've only really talked to two others who went to the same high school as me. However, even with them, I feel so alone because when we meet up for lunch, they're just chatting with each other while I sit there listening. Also, they tend to arrange meet-ups without me so I feel so excluded and hurt. I just feel like my past friendships and sudden snuffs of friendships have heavily impacted on my ability to make new friends. I just feel so scared that every friend I make in the future will act the same way and just cut off all ties with me. I'm sorry if this seemed really messy, but I would really appreciate any help I can get.

ineedsupportandspace guidance and help guys and girls
  • replies: 1

Hi my name is Harry whatever is happening rightnow for my future self my non negotionables are sleep, healthy organic plant based food , and a water filter to remove fluroide from our water, i have absolutley $3 and am a swirling greyish cloudy sun, ... View more

Hi my name is Harry whatever is happening rightnow for my future self my non negotionables are sleep, healthy organic plant based food , and a water filter to remove fluroide from our water, i have absolutley $3 and am a swirling greyish cloudy sun, how Can i get some money to buy organic fruit and vegtable to eat during these times to maintain my health, my parents have money but buy so much silly food instead, how can I earn money to maintain my health, for my future self, I think I can write and articulate my thoughts to a good standard, naturally will happen when alone for this long... anyone know where I can get paid to write about or for someone, hm an biography on someone maybe

Teenageanxietyguy Health anxiety 17 male........ desperate

So , just like that a panic attack from literally just a day of being really stressed out about something so small had changed my life . 9-10 months fee I like with health anxiety and every day I could swear will be my last . I cannot help but think ... View more

So , just like that a panic attack from literally just a day of being really stressed out about something so small had changed my life . 9-10 months fee I like with health anxiety and every day I could swear will be my last . I cannot help but think I will have a heart attack from this shortness of breath or mild chest pain , or that I have meningitis or I'm going to faint . LIFE IS SO HARD . I'm healthy, I train I'm fit I try having a good education but why are these thoughts lingering . I feel so alone ? This is extremely petrifying and I can't live with every minute not being able to simply just breate. and of course the derealisation hits and I feel numb at times all of my relationships fall , because of this , social life falls because of this work and school life falling . I just find it so difficult . To deal and I just need to reach out

Skippydundee Am i the only one
  • replies: 3

Hi all this is my first time one something like this and part of me feels stupid for even doing it because 70% of the time i dont feel i have any issues. Other than me being my own issue. but the other 30% of the time and that number is increasing i ... View more

Hi all this is my first time one something like this and part of me feels stupid for even doing it because 70% of the time i dont feel i have any issues. Other than me being my own issue. but the other 30% of the time and that number is increasing i feel like im in a forever deeping hole that the walls are caving in. Im 26 years old. Originally from the uk been im oz 4 years. Moved from nsw to qld.3 months ago. Partially because i think running from myself will work stupidly. But i am driving myself insain. And yet im sure many peoples view would be geezzz whats your problem. Which is why i havnt been to see anyone because they will probably tell me there is nothing wrong and im wasting everyone's time. I do not know how to be happy or content. I live in a great country. In a nice.area.on the sunshine coast. Some peoples dream. I dont like what i do for work. Im a sales manager for motor company. Which runs veru different to my old employer. But its all i know how to do. And i dont know what else i would want to do. I sit at my desk driving myself insain looking for an answer i dont have. Thinking to myself it would all just be easier to end it and no longer have hate my own existence. The responsibilities of life all just mount up. Bills rent costs of living. I just want to run away from reality but know it solves nothing. I dont know how to change it. How to be happy. Im angry frustrated and driving myself crazy. What do i do. How do i get outof my way and find happiness in life which isny just fake or a bandage trying to cover-up. I know i have problems but will everyone just think im stupid and brush it off like nothing. But for me i feel everyday i am drowing and see no reason to continue for another day of mental hell and my thoughts driving me mad. am i the only one to feel like this Sorry for wasting everyones time

Raisaga I feel like something bad will happen soon and it makes me tired and stressed.

I have this feeling that something bad will happen soon, but I have no idea why. I get this feeling once or twice a year, and when it happens, I just want to get the feeling to go away. Nothing bad actually happens, but I'm afraid it may also be a si... View more

I have this feeling that something bad will happen soon, but I have no idea why. I get this feeling once or twice a year, and when it happens, I just want to get the feeling to go away. Nothing bad actually happens, but I'm afraid it may also be a sign of something else going on that I'm not aware of. It's really putting me down this time, so I feel like it will just get worse the longer I wait. Can someone please tell me what might be going on? I want to try prevent these feelings from ever happening. Thanks in advance.

azaleahey Depression, anxiety, weight, family, moving

Hi, new member here and have been struggling with depression & anxiety for over 5 years now.. I’m only 20. I don’t really know how to put this in all words but basically I’m so tired of feeling alone, angry, nervous and worthless just about everyday.... View more

Hi, new member here and have been struggling with depression & anxiety for over 5 years now.. I’m only 20. I don’t really know how to put this in all words but basically I’m so tired of feeling alone, angry, nervous and worthless just about everyday. I’ll start getting so worked up and make myself so angry and upset that I just can’t help but cry, which I then get frustrated with myself for feeling this way over something so silly or nothing at all, which turns into me crying harder and digging my nails into my skin. I live with one of my sisters, her fiancé and two year old son, and I know it’s making my depression so much worse. This house involves arguments everyday between my sister and her partner and a toddler abusing the hell out of me everyday. I’m currently unemployed because I just moved back here again (I’ve moved around so much) and that’s definitely not helping. I’m so scared to tell her that I can’t live here but she got so mad and upset at me the last time I moved away from her. I’ve struggled with my weight for years, I was always a skinny child but in grade 4 or 5 I started to put on weight after we moved states. I then moved different states again in 2009 (grade7), which I then lost the weight. In grade 10 I started to put it back on, that started when I found out we were moving to another town 5/6 hours away and haven’t been able to drop it since. I’m sorry this is long and there is so much more to get out, such my headaches I get everyday, my anger issued mum. My family who are barely altogether at once, that when we are, all there is are arguments, some that have nearly turned to physical violence. I will also tell you that I don’t have any friends, ever since leaving that town in 2013, for some reason can never stay in contact or make a effort anytime i had moved new schools, maybe it’s because I’m so used to moving there was no point. There’s no doubt more but this is too long now. I’m sorry but I just need help before I hit breaking point even more.