Young people

A space for people aged 12-25 to discuss life. If you’re over 25, please be mindful that this is a space for younger people to connect.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

romantic_thi3f Eeep! When study is overwhelming! - Tips, ideas and coping strategies
  • replies: 51

Hi! Just thought I’d make a post with some tips for study. I know this is something we can all struggle with. These are all suggestions so feel free to take them or leave them! Hope they help! If you only remember one thing, let it be this: You are i... View more

Hi! Just thought I’d make a post with some tips for study. I know this is something we can all struggle with. These are all suggestions so feel free to take them or leave them! Hope they help! If you only remember one thing, let it be this: You are important. Your grades don’t define you. (support) Studying can feel isolating but know you’re not alone! Reach out – and find or make friends that can support you along the way. If you’re having trouble finding some friends, join some local communities or clubs! They have lots at Uni’s and even stuff like open days are great ways to meet new people and find out what’s happening. Study groups can also be a great way to meet people and stay motivated. Also remind yourself why you’re doing this; inspirational wallpapers or quotes can be super inspiring. Remember the saying about the oxygen mask? If you can’t take care of yourself first studying will be harder. You are important. You know the drill - water, food, exercise, sleep. Try to stay calm. Stuff that might be able to help include mindfulness, breathing exercises, colouring in, going for walks, journaling, listening to music… If you’re struggling – reach out. See a therapist. Talk to your student counsellor. If you need help, don’t be afraid to ask for it. Also lots of Universities and TAFE offer disability services – which includes conditions like Depression and Anxiety. (study) Find the right study space for you. Maybe that’s in your room, or a coffee shop, or the library. Some people find that noise helps; other people not so much. If you like particular kinds of noise, you can find ‘coffee shop’ noise or ‘rain sounds’ to help concentrate. Make a plan. It helps to do it often so it becomes a habit. Anytime you get a due date, write it down. Maybe you could use a diary, planner, bullet journal or an app. I find the 30/30 App helpful - study for a bit and then break for a bit. You can also get add-on’s for your computer to block sites like Facebook if you find them too distracting. Find out what study technique works for you. Do you like cue cards? Mind maps? Colour coding? Does highlighting stuff help you remember? Charts, maps, diagrams? Recorded lectures? Goals! These are so important – not just writing down deadlines but rewarding yourself for meeting them. Even making smaller goals like ‘read two pages from a textbook’ can help. Break it down into bite size pieces, and don’t forget to reward yourself after!

Sophie_M NEW TO THIS FORUM? Please read this first
  • replies: 0

The Young People space is a sub-forum within the wider Beyond Blue forum community. 1. Its purpose is to provide members aged 25 and under a space to discuss anxiety, depression and other related life issues. If you are aged over 25, please be mindfu... View more

The Young People space is a sub-forum within the wider Beyond Blue forum community. 1. Its purpose is to provide members aged 25 and under a space to discuss anxiety, depression and other related life issues. If you are aged over 25, please be mindful that this forum is a space for younger people to connect and provide peer support for each other. 2. Content from this sub-forum is displayed on both the beyondblue and youthbeyondblue websites. 3. Please bear in mind that some members find content relating to suicide and/or self-harm distressing or triggering. If you would like to post on these topics, please do so in our Suicidal Thoughts and Self Harm section. Please see also our guidelines for making posts on this topic. Posts made here in the Young People sub-forum containing content relating to suicide and/or self-harm will be moved. 4. These forums are moderated, so your posts may not appear straightaway. Information on how our system works can be found here. Being familiar with our community rules can help ensure that your posts appear online as quickly as possible. 5. This is a peer support community, and to get the best out of being here we recommend that you 'give support to receive support'. More on how that works here.

All discussions

Tanzania Should I report it as bullying?
  • replies: 1

Hi I'm having this situation at work with one of the surpviors. They do not treat me like everyone else and humilates me in front of people. When i see them my blood boils. I get angry sometimes I'm called to go to work and I don't want to go because... View more

Hi I'm having this situation at work with one of the surpviors. They do not treat me like everyone else and humilates me in front of people. When i see them my blood boils. I get angry sometimes I'm called to go to work and I don't want to go because of them.. Should I report ? I'm too scared

Lostflutterby I just need to vent... I think
  • replies: 11

Hi, I'm a 23 y.o mum and for all of my life my dad has been a heavy smoker and drinker, it's been taking it toll on his health and last week we found out he had a silent heart attack( didn't get any symptoms)... Anyway, the doctor has ordered him to ... View more

Hi, I'm a 23 y.o mum and for all of my life my dad has been a heavy smoker and drinker, it's been taking it toll on his health and last week we found out he had a silent heart attack( didn't get any symptoms)... Anyway, the doctor has ordered him to stop drinking, smoking, driving and working and he also has limited the liquid intake for the next four weeks. My mum told me this morning that dad has completely ignored the advice of the doctor and drove down the street this morning to buy a bottle of wine, smokes and the paper. When they confronted him he laughed it off as "it's not far to drive" and when they took the smokes and alcohol off him he hopped in the car and went and bought more. i don't know what to say or think. He keeps making excuses as to why it's ok. I'm going to see him tomorrow and ask him how he would feel if he hit another car, if he had another attack while driving... And what if that car was me and my little girl and he killed us both, how would he live with that... But he will just find more excuses. I'm so angry and upset with him and I don't know what to say or do. I get he has an addiction and I didn't expect him to totally quit smoking and drinking instantly... But they driving has really annoyed me. Sorry, I don't know why I've posted I'm just upset.

kaitlym chronic anxiety and paranoia (imagining things) .. I don't know how to get help

So this is my first time posting anything so please forgive me for anything I say wrong. But I've been suffering from chronic depression, PTSD from being abused and chronic anxiety. When I was younger I used to have nightmares, and I'd believe "ghost... View more

So this is my first time posting anything so please forgive me for anything I say wrong. But I've been suffering from chronic depression, PTSD from being abused and chronic anxiety. When I was younger I used to have nightmares, and I'd believe "ghost" or "spirits" would torture me, then I grew up and never really thought about it. I've started getting real help for my mental health with depression/ptsd/anxiety but due to financial stress I can no longer afford to see my psychologist. Lately I've been suffering from insomnia during the night, I'll sleep for 1 hour in the morning (daylight), so this is driving me crazy because I'm being tortured by my childhood "ghosts" I have never been so afraid. I have constant paranoia of hearing things and imagining someone breaking in and doing something horrifying. I see things in the dark. I don't know what's happening to me but I'm scared and I don't know how to ask for help because I know I sound crazy, I know there is absolutely nothing there but I can't convince my mind otherwise. I'm genuinely scared for my life when it's happening. Please help!

hufflepuffle Friendship anxiety.
  • replies: 2

So I've always seen myself as a good, nice person, as have many others. But some recent events have made me feel like I am becoming a bad person. Late last year, I found out a 'friend' of mine had been lying to my face about multiple things. She catf... View more

So I've always seen myself as a good, nice person, as have many others. But some recent events have made me feel like I am becoming a bad person. Late last year, I found out a 'friend' of mine had been lying to my face about multiple things. She catfished my other friend for over a year, she talked about me behind my back, and she outed me to some people I wasn't comfortable with. All while pretending to be my friend. I realised this, but the next day she was sleeping over at my house, so I pretended to be friends with her, while being really upset and talking about her behind her back. Eventually, I stopped talking to her, and originally, I felt really good about it. After not talking to her, I received some threatening messages from her, saying nasty things like I was fake, etc... So I cried. A lot. Because it hurt to have someone I was so previously close with say all those things about me. I felt so bad about myself, and I really wasn't sure who was in the wrong. I did a lot of petty things, however, like smile at her condescendingly when she was glaring at her, using not-so-nice nicknames (rospo - it means toad in Italian) and just straight up didn't talk to her. Two months later, I still freak out whenever I see her and have trouble saying her name. My friends are telling me to let it go but it's really not that easy. She hurt me a lot and I don't know whether my anxiety is justified by what she did, or if I'm letting her to get to me too much. Theres still a part of my that wants to be her friend, and I know I shouldn't. I feel like a really bad person for just leaving her to fend for herself, but at the same time I feel like she deserves it, and then I feel bad for not feeling bad. Can anyone help me? Just let me know whether my actions and feeling are justified? Whether I'm becoming bad? Thanks guys.

wilsonbilson sad and lonely

Mums sick dont know how to cope... Only have 19yr old brother. Crying constantly for hours

Mums sick dont know how to cope... Only have 19yr old brother. Crying constantly for hours

justwanttobehappy123 SO ALONE AND LONELY

I need help asap please! 18yo girl with depression & anxiety. My family has gone to Japan for 2 weeks without me (my choice) so I am home alone. My boyfriend was supposed to stay with me every night because I am too scared to sleep alone. BUT the tim... View more

I need help asap please! 18yo girl with depression & anxiety. My family has gone to Japan for 2 weeks without me (my choice) so I am home alone. My boyfriend was supposed to stay with me every night because I am too scared to sleep alone. BUT the time my family happened to go away just happened to be the time when he and his dad go to Sydney for this car race thing, which we didn't figure out until a few months ago (nothing anyone could do). I struggle with being alone as I find when I'm alone I let my anxieties in. It's been a week and my bf and I were together 24/7, until he left last night. I was absolutely fine the whole week (even proud of how happy I was). I slept at a friends house but I was up from 2-5:30am crying because I felt lonely. My mum and my boyfriend are the people I talk about my anxiety too and I am close to them. Yesterday my mum made a comment about how I was looking fat in the face on FaceTime and it upset me. Today I have been home alone and I have been crying all day. I feel so isolated and alone right now. I just had a panic attack and I couldn't control it myself so I messaged my boyfriend which I didn't want to do and he helped calm me down. But now I feel super guilty. I didn't want to message him because he is away having a good time, enjoying his time away from me and my anxiety, and I imagine when I messaged about my panic attack that he was drinking with his dad/'the boys' and rolled his eyes thinking 'oh here we go'. I understand that, bc my anxiety can get annoying but I also get upset that he gets annoyed at my anxiety (which he does and he has told me truthfully that he does but it's because he doesn't understand and he is trying to understand). After I told my bf I was having a panic attack he didn't reply for 10mins, I feel like such a burden/annoyance to him rn. I can't talk to my mum because she is most likely stressed in Japan because she gets that way about overseas holidays, and I know if I tell her I'm upset she will worry about me and it will ruin her trip. So now I feel like I have no one to talk to. I have one friend I feel like I can talk to about anxiety but she is at a concert. I can't talk about it with my other friends unfortunately. My cousin is coming over for a sleepover after work at 9pm but until then I am scared I will have another panic attack I can't control as I feel so alone, isolated and lonely. I don't want to have to ruin my boyfriend or my mum's trip so I need help on what to do please! THX

Catalyst Completely lost and deflated

Hello, I made a post ages ago talking about how I felt numb and all, and well, it has gotten much worse since then. Everyday I wake up feeling extremely numb, feeling no excitement to see friends, go to school or anything. Voices in my head torment m... View more

Hello, I made a post ages ago talking about how I felt numb and all, and well, it has gotten much worse since then. Everyday I wake up feeling extremely numb, feeling no excitement to see friends, go to school or anything. Voices in my head torment me with horrible thoughts to do with these numb feelings like "you don't like your friends anymore, you are so lonely". I get these constantly and it kills me. I feel so apathetic about life too now. I just started year 12 this year and I couldn't care about my results or anything to do with school or future life. I recently told my parents I'd rather sit home and not do anything with my life, because that's how I feel. They got extremely mad at me, and I feel no support from them whatsoever. They never ask how I am, they don't listen to me when I try to tell them how I feel. They did organize for me to see a psychologist and I have been seeing them for a few months but it's not helping. I feel like I've gotten all the help I can get yet nothings working. They said I'm heading towards anti-depressants, which I'm even more worried about. I feel so disconnected from everyone. I don't want to and I never have but I do, and I don't know what to do about it. I'm scared of losing people in my life, simply because of these numb feelings and voices trying to put a reason as to why I'm feeling this way. I don't enjoy life at all anymore, I feel like I'm just an empty shell, feeling nothing and just doing things because I have to. I don't care about anything or anyone anymore. Not many people ask how I am, probably because I am good at putting on a mask. I feel so unsupported and hated by my family, there was already so much conflict within the family and now it's just worse. I'm used to just locking myself in my room and doing nothing, but enjoying getting away from it. I have the desire to reconnect with some people, but the voices and the numb feelings make me doubt myself and doubt everything in my life. One minute I feel like I'm certain I like my friends and I want to spend time with them and next moment I feel like I don't want to see them ever again. I'm just putting my feelings down here, I don't know, there is no order to it. I'm just so lost and upset but so empty

AnonimFey Centrelink and Mental Health

Hello, Recently I have made the decision to move out of home, due to work commitments, uni and also heavily due to my anxiety and depression. I applied for a Youth Allowance at Centrelink only to be rejected due to being classed as dependant and my p... View more

Hello, Recently I have made the decision to move out of home, due to work commitments, uni and also heavily due to my anxiety and depression. I applied for a Youth Allowance at Centrelink only to be rejected due to being classed as dependant and my parents earn too much. I am 20 years old, have a part time job and study full time. I pay for everything on my own and don't get money from my parents. I am desperate with needing to move out of my home, as conflict in the house makes it difficult to be here most days. I'm now in a stump and don't know where to go from here. I earn money from my job but its not enough to move out on, and I need to take my animals with me and can't do share housing or rent a tiny unit. Any advice on this issue would be really appreciated, I am at a loss as to what to do. (Also I am not in a domestically violent home, just mental)

laniipops I can't go back to school.
  • replies: 4

Hi, I'm new to this forum, I'm new to posting things like this on the internet, but I need some advice. Let me give you some background first. I'm 16 years old and when I was in Year 8 I was diagnosed with suicidal depression and and anxiety. I went ... View more

Hi, I'm new to this forum, I'm new to posting things like this on the internet, but I need some advice. Let me give you some background first. I'm 16 years old and when I was in Year 8 I was diagnosed with suicidal depression and and anxiety. I went to a therapist and 6 months later I had stopped needing to go to sessions, all was good, well as good as it could really get. Late last year though old and new feelings started to return. I went back to therapy and was told I had severe depression and anxiety, and to be honest I was kind of expecting it. But although I went to therapy it kept getting worse, my grades fell, my friendship group fell apart and I found myself with no friends and so I started to not engage with anyone at school and I also started to miss a lot of days at school because I couldn't will myself to get out of the bed anymore. The summer holidays came and went, and for me they were surprisingly even harder then going to school, I struggled to keep on the mask that I was so good at putting on. Now it's today my first day back at school in Year 11, but I couldn't do it, I couldn't even get out of bed this morning. I had a complete freakout, I tried so hard to get out of bed but I felt paralysed, I just couldn't move. I'm still in bed now, I feel like I'm drowning with someone continuously pushing my head under. I can't move forwards or back, I'm stuck in limbo. But now for the real question, this time I've spent trying to make plans because its what I do. I've come up with two options, I either work really hard with my therapist to try and get to school everyday or I do distance education. I don't what to do and was hoping you could all give some suggestions. Thanks for reading.

Mikimouse Emotionally Numb or just strong?

Hello! This is my first thread on here so I'll give you some background info first then get into the main problem. I have generalised anxiety disorder and suffer from panic attacks. I've been in therapy for a year now and my panic attacks rarely occu... View more

Hello! This is my first thread on here so I'll give you some background info first then get into the main problem. I have generalised anxiety disorder and suffer from panic attacks. I've been in therapy for a year now and my panic attacks rarely occur anymore. About 3 years ago I had my heart absolutely destroyed by my best friend. I didn't know that one human could feel so much pain. I was in shambles for 2 and a half years, always sad, constantly anxious, having panic attacks every week.... it was bad. Last year I really started to realise that my situation was unhealthy so I started therapy and started learning how to cope. It's been a year and I don't feel any pain caused from my best friend... but I also don't feel any negative emotions either. I don't get sad, I don't cry anymore, I don't feel guilt or fear. I feel anger but only slightly. I can feel happiness and all the positive emotions but not the negative ones. I'm not sure why this is. I think it may be my bodies way to deal with stress around school, (I'm a high school student) but even after exams it takes me months to get slightly normal again, then in a weeks time I'm emotionally unavailable again (also the fact that I feel kinda empty inside when I get like this) . It's starting to put a strain on my relationships because I'm second guessing everything and everyone. Please help.