Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

King_A Another noob
  • replies: 2

Hey all, I'm a 42 year old dude who's been living with Depression & Anxiety since my teens. This last week I've been dealing with insomnia that's progressively snowballed into a pretty unpleasant episode of the above. The main antagonist for my sleep... View more

Hey all, I'm a 42 year old dude who's been living with Depression & Anxiety since my teens. This last week I've been dealing with insomnia that's progressively snowballed into a pretty unpleasant episode of the above. The main antagonist for my sleep problems is alcohol, specifically wine, I've known this for a long time, and keep telling myself that I'm going to stop drinking as frequently, but of course don't. So I've decided to reach out a little bit, and stop bottling it up (pun intended). Anyway, hello!

Mavis1989 Newly discharged from hospital
  • replies: 7

Hi I’m a 31 year old female and (non biological) mother of 1 baby daughter with a female partner of 5 years. I’ve been reading the forums for months now as I battled my worst ever MDD relapse (although they all seem pretty awful when they are happeni... View more

Hi I’m a 31 year old female and (non biological) mother of 1 baby daughter with a female partner of 5 years. I’ve been reading the forums for months now as I battled my worst ever MDD relapse (although they all seem pretty awful when they are happening) I thought it was time to introduce myself. I got discharged from hospital 2 days ago and I’m really struggling now that I’m back in reality while I do feel better than before my 2 week hospital admission, my mood is still low and I feel close to tears a lot of the time. I feel overwhelmed with the mundane tasks of daily life and dread going back to work (as a nurse) and feeling so exposed as everyone knows where I have been for the last 2 weeks and most people know I have been struggling for the last 3 months. Do anyone relate to this? How can I move forward with my life when I don’t feel that much better? Not constantly thinking of suicide at least but that doesn’t mean I feel ok any tips on life after hospital are much appreciated.

kellyd Hi from a newbie!

Hi, My name is Kelly and I'm new to the Blue Voices group and the forums. I'm not sure about the best way to introduce myself here, so I hope I'm posting in the right place! At the end of last year, I resigned from a fairly senior corporate career to... View more

Hi, My name is Kelly and I'm new to the Blue Voices group and the forums. I'm not sure about the best way to introduce myself here, so I hope I'm posting in the right place! At the end of last year, I resigned from a fairly senior corporate career to study counselling and social work and finally pursue something I've thought about for a long time. I have lived with anxiety and fairly complex PTSD for over 10 years now and I hope the empathy I've gained over time and my genuine hope to help people learn long-term life skills to help themselves will help me be successful in my new chosen path. I'm here as a part of these forums to be invovled in discussions, volunteer for opportunities where possible and provide support. Kelly

Lolaa Newbie
  • replies: 3

Hi, My name is Lolaa I have a diagnosis of bipolar 2 and I am on a real downer atm. Its been a full on few weeks and I guess I am wanting to connect with people that get it. So sick of people not understanding my mental illness.I look forward to chat... View more

Hi, My name is Lolaa I have a diagnosis of bipolar 2 and I am on a real downer atm. Its been a full on few weeks and I guess I am wanting to connect with people that get it. So sick of people not understanding my mental illness.I look forward to chatting

Ray612 Helping my partner with his Bi-Polar Disorder
  • replies: 3

Hi New to this and a little nervous. My partner has diagnosed bi polar, anxiety and OCD. He had a pretty severe mood episode over the last few days and it is the first he has had while we have been together. I am doing my best not to blame myself, or... View more

Hi New to this and a little nervous. My partner has diagnosed bi polar, anxiety and OCD. He had a pretty severe mood episode over the last few days and it is the first he has had while we have been together. I am doing my best not to blame myself, or take it personally but it is hard. I know that his Dr is doing a new assessment as this episode was particularly bad (he was having suicidal thoughts). I just wonder what other partners of people with mental health issues do to help with feelings of helplessness or blame and how best I can support him through this. Thanks R

Sophie_M Monthly Forums Update: Reflecting back on March
  • replies: 0

Hi Everyone, Thank you for continuing the conversation within the Online Forums. We acknowledge that March may have brought several challenges, changes, and hardships to many and understand that reaching out on the forums may be the first step for pe... View more

Hi Everyone, Thank you for continuing the conversation within the Online Forums. We acknowledge that March may have brought several challenges, changes, and hardships to many and understand that reaching out on the forums may be the first step for people wishing to seek help, recover, and stay well. It’s important to remember that you do not need to be in crisis to reach out for support. In addition to writing on the forums or accessing the Beyond Blue Support Service you may also find the following support options to be helpful: Coronavirus Mental Wellbeing Support Service (CMWSS) – The CMWSS is available 24/7 and is operated by trained counsellors to assist with any concerns about your wellbeing in relation to COVID-19. This service is offered by phone at 1800 512 348 and via online chat: https://cmwssonline.beyondblue.org.au/#/chat/start NewAccess is a free and confidential mental health coaching program for anyone feeling stressed or overwhelmed about everyday life issues, such as work, study, relationships, health or loneliness. This program support Australians from 12 years old and is available in parts of ACT, NSW, QLD, and VIC. To see if New Access is available in your area, visit our webpage here: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/newaccess/where-are-your-access-coaches-located Community Voices: What are people talking about? Challenges at uni Lately I just have been feeling very overwhelmed and stressed with uni. I feel like I am just so behind and that I can't catch up on work. Assignments are also piling up so much that I don't even want to look at them. When I do I feel like I am going to have a panic attack. I have got extensions on some but honestly, I don't feel much better. – AUSLOVESLONDONGAL (Read more here) I moved states to attend uni to focus on my dream goal of doing art as a living. I moved into a sharehouse/boarding house almost and we live our own lives with little interaction. I sleep through the days, skipping uni classes and have racked up a heavy amount of work to catch up on. I've missed one deadline - my first assignment. I don't know what to do. I don't have any motivation to do anything - Toughavocado33 (Read more here) I’m current at uni and I just feel like everyone is so much far ahead than me and I just don’t think I have a purpose anymore I’m always ghe joke and always tend to fall behind I don’t know how to make it stop. I just want to leave everything and be by myself nothing makes me happy anymore and coming home is like a chore - Liz22063 (Read more here) Depression and loneliness For such a long time, I've had insufferable feelings of loneliness to the point where I feel depressed. I'm hesitant to use the word without a formal diagnosis, but my feelings and thoughts are very much in line with what a depressed individual would have. – Leyland (Read more here) Currently 6 weeks pregnant, through ivf and sperm donor, but now it's starting to hit me how alone I am. After a visit to the hospital due to cramps and bleeding, I messaged my best friend who said she'd be there for me, then fell asleep. I don't have any other friends, my family don't know I'm pregnant because theyve always told me I'd be a bad mother and shouldn't be a parent. I have noone on my life. Noone to share things with. – Starletbunny (Read more here) I recently spent 3 weeks in treatment for depression, anxiety and disordered eating and am now back home and am 'in recovery'. I have had a few relapses since being home (mostly around eating/food) and am generally finding recovery pretty hard. Every day is a struggle and while there are moments of joy, most days I feel sad and lonely. – girlonsafari (Read more here) Strategies for staying well Looking for help and ideas on how to get the best out of mindfulness and meditation. My pycologist gave me some mindfulness apps with exercises to help with my stress but I cannot get the hang of them and breathe in all the wrong places. Same with meditation I went along to a couple of groups followed the instructions but just could not get the hang of it. Is there any special techniques that people would like to share. – contrarymary (Read more here) Do you have a happy place? A place where you can exhale, and feel okay, if just for a moment? Is it your backyard, or a shed you work in? Is it at the gym? Do u breathe a sigh of relief when you close the door to your therapists office, knowing you can talk about ur life without inhibition? - Sleepy21 (Read more here) As sufferers we must find ways to make life for us and our family and friends more joyful and to do that one of those processes is to lower your stress and anxiety by balancing your workload on projects and avoiding tiredness by getting lots of sleep. - white knight (Read more here) Valued Contributor Award Our Valued Contributor for the month of March is Matchy69! Matchy69 has been nominated for always approaching others in a welcoming and nonjudgmental manner. Matchy69 is also known for regularly checking in on others on the forums, ensuring community members feel comfortable, safe, and valued. Thank you Matchy69! To read more about what a Valued Contributor is and how you can nominate a fellow community member, please refer to our thread Nominate a Valued Contributor here: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support New/Updated BB Resources The 'COVID- normal' section of the Beyond Blue Coronavirus Mental Wellbeing Support Service has recently added the following new content: Managing anxiety about having the COVID-19 vaccine Adjusting to work in COVID-normal times The following articles have also been updated under the Financial and mental wellbeing section: Ways to promote a positive mindset if you lost your job during the COVID-19 pandemic Looking after yourself through unemployment The link between financial wellbeing and mental health Financial counselling explained (and how it can help) Living with financial stress – Michelle’s story Financial hardship and mental health: messages of support from the community

Josasem Helpless and New
  • replies: 5

Hi Everyone, Im new to this forum. Im going through a major change in life. And I can’t seem to shake the feeling of hopelessness.

Hi Everyone, Im new to this forum. Im going through a major change in life. And I can’t seem to shake the feeling of hopelessness.

Ultimate_Worrier Hi, I'm the Ultimate Worrier

Just introducing myself. 43 year old man and have suffered my whole like from Generalised Anxiety Disorder. I don't have any great issue in my life to attribute this to. (I suppose it wouldn't be a disorder if I did.) No abuse as a child. No addictio... View more

Just introducing myself. 43 year old man and have suffered my whole like from Generalised Anxiety Disorder. I don't have any great issue in my life to attribute this to. (I suppose it wouldn't be a disorder if I did.) No abuse as a child. No addiction problems. Financially secure, good job, and in a loving relationship with two kids. Perfect health. And yet once every six months to a year, I will have a bad episode of anxiety. Impending doom. Tight chest. Obsessive thoughts. The awful sense that this time it will never go away, or that I'll go crazy. It's like a tedious re-run that I have to sit through every year. I'm on standard SSRI medication, and have been for twenty years. I occasionally see a counsellor, which always helps. When I'm not having bad episodes, I oscillate between feeling positive, and just on edge. Travel, especially airplanes bothers me, and I'll be stressed for at least a week beforehand if I have to give a presentation. But otherwise, I am often in good spirits. A lot of people are very surprised to hear about my issues when I tell them. As far as I can tell my annual/semi-annual episodes are triggered by some combination of physical tiredness and mental stress. Over-doing exercise, colds, hay-fever, lack of sleep, plus work deadlines, family issues, kids being kids and sometimes variation in medication. Some combination usually triggers me. Then I'll go through a cycle that usually follows: - initial sense of being over-whelmed - tight chest, cortisol burning through my arms and legs, trouble getting a full breath - the "I'm going crazy" thoughts - I'll end up in an asylum, I'll do something really dangerous (I hasten to add I've learnt to recognise these thoughts in particular as irrational fears; they are not impulses, and I've never come close to acting on them) - then a few days of feeling like I'm about to have a panic attack, or I'm about to snap, along with just not being able to put the thoughts out of my head. On top of that, there's a sense of altered consciousness. A feeling that this is the real reality - life is awful - and I will never go back to the other reality. - Finally, a lot of walking and talking and after a few weeks I start to feel better. Will be a few months before I truly get back to normal. I wanted to join BB to try and share a bit of my story, and also to give some hope to young people in particular. Despite all the above, I am a good news story. I've mostly had a normal life. Thanks for being here,

jays1989 Hi Everybody
  • replies: 1

Hi everybody, I'm new here, like really new here ( just signed up ). So I'm pretty overwhelmed at the moment because for the last month I've enrolled into uni and I've been doing quite well but the only problem I seem to have is finding that right ba... View more

Hi everybody, I'm new here, like really new here ( just signed up ). So I'm pretty overwhelmed at the moment because for the last month I've enrolled into uni and I've been doing quite well but the only problem I seem to have is finding that right balance where study life and everyday life can meet in the middle because most of my days are filled with studying and assessments and proof reading and... and now I'm rambling argh stop it. Sorry about that I just got a bit ahead of myself there. So yeah I have anxiety and depression and I tend to overthink everything to the point where I feel ill... not really sure how to get around all of that because I try to stay out of my head as much as possible and before i realize it I'm worse off than where I started.