FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety & Partner

Becca8123
Community Member

Hi,

Sufferer of Anxiety and was wondering if there are other people out there who have partners that don't understand your anxiety and are not very supportive.

Feel like my Anxiety is just a massive burden on him.

4 Replies 4

Isabella_
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi there Becca,

You're not alone. I have social anxiety, and meeting my partners family is a god awful fear of mine. I try to explain it, but he usually tries to reassure me that they'll like me, it's not a big deal, what's the worst that could happen, etc.

His intentions are good, but I think anxiety is complicated for people to understand because it goes beyond reason, so it may appear as stubborn-ness on our part. We may know that realistically we aren't in danger, but our bodies and minds don't.

I'm sorry to hear that you feel that your partner isn't supportive and that your anxiety is a burden on him. What are some of the things that have happened to made you feel this way?

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Becca,

I'm sorry about your challenge, but unfortunately it's not unusual.

Not all parents have similar views with their kids, not all parents are good listeners and supporters. Would you like to share your story here? I believe some of us may have similar experience and/or may give you some advice.

Warmly,

Mark

Hi Isabella,

Mainly anxiety over the kids although I do tend to have social anxiety every now and then. He was brought up in a hard environment and has that hard mentality that I'm being stupid and I just have to get on with it. Hey I would love to just get on with it and not worry all the time!

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Becca8123,

Wellcome to our forums!

Im sorry that you suffer with anxiety and your partner doesn’t understand.

We can only hope that our loved ones try to support us with no judgment.

I personally understand anxiety I suffered with severe anxiety OCD and have now recovered thanks to the professional help I received.

Please know that we are here as a community to support you, please feel free to chat to us anytime.