Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

buddy1610 20+ years of Anxiety and Depression
  • replies: 2

Hi everyone,I’ve been on antidepressants for over 20 years for anxiety and depression tried several different ones and doses. My current dose is working but I still have small amount of anxiety and depression. I would just like some feedback from any... View more

Hi everyone,I’ve been on antidepressants for over 20 years for anxiety and depression tried several different ones and doses. My current dose is working but I still have small amount of anxiety and depression. I would just like some feedback from anyone in a similar situation? Your feedback will help so much thank you

Viormoon life crisis?
  • replies: 3

I feel like life was so much easier during Covid or in the hospital earlier this year, selfish enough to say while there are people living in distress and hopelessness. It was because I didn't have to adhere any expectations and was able to dive into... View more

I feel like life was so much easier during Covid or in the hospital earlier this year, selfish enough to say while there are people living in distress and hopelessness. It was because I didn't have to adhere any expectations and was able to dive into my favourite hobbies. I realised the consequences. During Highschool back around 2015 was when I was in year 10. I thought It was normal to feel depressed, to self-harm. It's not okay no matter how you look at it. But i didn't realise that fully a few years later, that I should've asked for professional help. School's have support systems that I didn't know could help me at the time because I thought I had to carry it myself. My closest friend at the time telling saw the cuts and supported me whenever she can. Anyway, never thought to be diagnoses back then. After highschool, I started studying at tafe since I thought Uni seemed to overwhelming from the first day. Was that an act due to anxiety? But I had nightmares involving going to highschool and was relieved I was finally free (occurred during the start of 2020). Recently I've taken on 3 casual jobs and attended 1 volunteer day. Thoughts race in my head everyday resulting to extreme thoughts of: why am i even working? money doesn't seem satisfying anymore. i want a purpose in life. what are my goals even? is there even a place in this world that my career choices align with what i want to do instead being controlled by fear? Did I take on 3 jobs because I feared societal expectations as others I've encountered have part-time jobs, not working in fast food. Currently i am enrolled in cert iv in vet nursing as well but i dread it everyday. everytime i bring myself to study it. I don't think its because i find it difficult to learn, but cause im disinterested in the content. It makes me question if I should change my career pathway. Yet everyone seems to say its good to be disciplined to complete it so there's a backup option. During my term 1 break last 2 weeks, I've been studying about mental health instead of vet nurse. procrastination much? Talked to my careers counsellor. said to be a teacher which was interesting. Anyways, today i quit one of the jobs. Will try and bring myself to contact my gp to see a psychologist. but then again do i need to see one comes to mind, or am i just burnt out? do i have a mental illness or am i just overreacting. Is this what everyone experience or just me? is this black and white thinking? What is wrong with me?

BELLAXX79 Always nervous wants to help

Hello all I would love to help anyone and everyone I have anxiety depression and schizophrenia affective

Hello all I would love to help anyone and everyone I have anxiety depression and schizophrenia affective

Chunty Kitty Cat
  • replies: 9

Hello, I'm new to this. I look forward to hear from you all Happy Easter and have a lovely day

Hello, I'm new to this. I look forward to hear from you all Happy Easter and have a lovely day

Craig_R Hi everyone

I have recently been diagnosed with flexural psoriasis with this comes severe itching irritation and is non stop. I do not sleep at night much get irritated easily and cry for no apparent reason. I put up a brave face at work but at home its a differ... View more

I have recently been diagnosed with flexural psoriasis with this comes severe itching irritation and is non stop. I do not sleep at night much get irritated easily and cry for no apparent reason. I put up a brave face at work but at home its a different. I love love my partner she is so supportive but sometimes i feel thats not enough

tld123 Hello. I am new.
  • replies: 16

I came here as I am finding it hard to cope with a lot of things happening in my life right now. I am usually the strong one who HAS to keep everything together but I am broken.

I came here as I am finding it hard to cope with a lot of things happening in my life right now. I am usually the strong one who HAS to keep everything together but I am broken.

lemongrassturtle Am I in trouble?
  • replies: 1

Hello everyone. I just signed up and thought i'd give this a go. I'm really not good at talking to people but things are progressing and I think I need some help. I'm 20 years old and my father passed away in 2016 when I was 15. I now live in a house... View more

Hello everyone. I just signed up and thought i'd give this a go. I'm really not good at talking to people but things are progressing and I think I need some help. I'm 20 years old and my father passed away in 2016 when I was 15. I now live in a household with two sisters and my mum, and my grandmother stays with us a lot for support. I miss my dad so much, he helped me so much. I guess I find it really difficult to live at home, being the only boy I feel a little secluded from the rest of my family. We still get along, but I feel like an outlier. My sisters do things together that I don't necessarily want to do and my mum does her own thing. I see my friends often and that is when I am most happy. When I am at home however I don't always feel happy, and often I feel quite depressed. I don't want to talk about this with my family and the only reason i'm on here is due to anonymity. Lately it seems to be getting picked up by my mum though, she says she doesn't talk to me much and that i'm always so closed with my answers, like I don't want to talk to her or that i don't care about her. I love my mum and everything she does for me, but I guess i don't show it. This is something I want to work on. I want to work on my relationship with my family and not be the outlier. I don't know how to though. But also, theres so many small things that go on in my life that cause me to be upset and I think they all build up and make me sad and that causes me to be isolated from my family, I just want to deal with everything myself and not get anyone involved. On new years 2021 I got quite drunk and talked with a close friend and opened up about some of my issues, which I have never done with anyone before. We would still occasionally talk about it but then I told her I think everything's fine because I don't want to talk about it with anyone, but things are not fine and honestly just get worse. I just don't know what to do now? I don't want to see a counsellor or doctor and I don't want to talk to anyone and I keep saying to myself I'll figure things out, but for the last 5 years (since my father passed) I just haven't felt happy all the time. I really enjoyed having another male in the house who would always support me. So, I don't know if I have a problem or not or what to do. I honestly just don't know whats going on but I'm sad more than I'm happy and this has been happening for 5 years but really bad in the last 2 years. Life is just sucking for me.

ChrisBr Health crisis
  • replies: 6

Hi all Im new here and not good at talking about my stuff. I am a breast cancer survivor of 10 years and for past 8 weeks have been experiencing major fatigue. This has sent me into a downward spiral of depression and anxiety. I can't sleep or eat an... View more

Hi all Im new here and not good at talking about my stuff. I am a breast cancer survivor of 10 years and for past 8 weeks have been experiencing major fatigue. This has sent me into a downward spiral of depression and anxiety. I can't sleep or eat and have become withdrawn. Dr has diagnosed virus but I don't think that's right. Petrified I have breast cancer recurrence. I am having anxiety attacks at 3am and very sleep deprived which doesn't help at all. My friends can see a big difference in me and are worried. I know talk therapy helps ease emotional pain so thought I'd give this a go

softiejordy Hello there!
  • replies: 4

hello everybody! i've decided to sign up here since i don't really have a proper outlet to ask for advice on anything, and this site seems especially helpful. my name is jordyn, and my pronouns are they/them. i like to answer questions about LGBTQ+ a... View more

hello everybody! i've decided to sign up here since i don't really have a proper outlet to ask for advice on anything, and this site seems especially helpful. my name is jordyn, and my pronouns are they/them. i like to answer questions about LGBTQ+ and things relating to that topic! other than that i like to play piano, sometimes write about my favorite characters, and make friends! it's wonderful to meet you all

Guest_05 Giving and Receiving Support with Difficult Days
  • replies: 37

Hello--- like many here on the beyond blue forums, I too am among the millions who suffer from mental health. So just saying Hello.

Hello--- like many here on the beyond blue forums, I too am among the millions who suffer from mental health. So just saying Hello.