Treatments, health professionals and therapies

Information on a range of different areas, including managing relationships with GPs and psychologists, and finding the right services for you.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

All discussions

Catlady Support groups.
  • replies: 4

Hi everyone. This is my second time on the BB forums. I think perhaps I might stay a bit longer this time. I suffer from depression, generalised anxiety and panic disorder and have seen about 4 different psychologists since I was around 21. It was ma... View more

Hi everyone. This is my second time on the BB forums. I think perhaps I might stay a bit longer this time. I suffer from depression, generalised anxiety and panic disorder and have seen about 4 different psychologists since I was around 21. It was mainly as the result of untreated bullying from a young age. My learned hopelessness and low self esteem have unfortunately persisted for such a long time untreated that I feel that they have become a part of my makeup. As a result, all treatments including medication don't seem to have made any changes. I am only 26 years old with a degree in psychology and have nothing to show for it. Although I am now back studying a masters in a different field, I am not coping with anything and feel that I might have to drop out. I have just moved to NSW a few months ago and don't have much of a support network. Or at least the support network I do have over here don't seem to understand. They say that my self esteem issues are a thing of the past and that I just have to "move on". I have stopped talking to them about it and have become more and more socially isolated because I don't think they want to hear any more. I fear it's only a matter of time before I lose my boyfriend. He is supportive for the most part but also quite critical of me and doesn't seem to understand why I can't get my stuff together. I now feel it was a mistake to move to NSW and feel totally trapped. What support groups are out there to help me? I need something to help me because all the standard methods haven't worked. I emailed a suicide helpline last week because I was feeling overwhelmed but all they could give me was, "we hope you're ok." I just don't know what else I can do. Thanks for listening.

nikkimee SSRI side effects.
  • replies: 3

I have started taking an SSRI a few nights ago and I have had non stop nausea ever since. I know that it will go away as my body is getting used to it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to minimize the nausea? This is also the first mental heal... View more

I have started taking an SSRI a few nights ago and I have had non stop nausea ever since. I know that it will go away as my body is getting used to it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to minimize the nausea? This is also the first mental health medication that I have ever taken so it is all new to me. Thanks Nikki

Lauren1990 Doctor & Psychologist didn't help
  • replies: 8

I believe I have suffered from depression and anxiety for most of my life, some stages have been worse then others, and lately I have been going through a really bad patch. I felt like it was putting a lot of pressure on my fiance and that was the la... View more

I believe I have suffered from depression and anxiety for most of my life, some stages have been worse then others, and lately I have been going through a really bad patch. I felt like it was putting a lot of pressure on my fiance and that was the last straw. Recently I went to my local GP to seek help, he straight away told me that medication wouldnt help me without even asking any questions, at first I wasnt overly worried about his comment as I am unsure if I want to try medication due to the fear of becoming dependant on them. He gave me a referal for 6 visits to a psychologist whom only worked during the week so I had to take time off of work to go see her, he told me to have 2 sessions with her and then come back. I went to two sessions with the psychologist, she was lovely but quite un helpful. The first session she just listened to all my problems/stories nodding and agreeing like "oh yes that really would have been awful" but not giving any advice, I felt like it was a big waste of time because talking to my friends gives me more satisfaction. She told me to make a vision board and write my problems on a piece of paper and put it under my pillow. The second session we spent doing her techniques for dealing with my thoughts, one was to name 5 then 4 then 3 and so on things I could see, feel, smell and hear around the room, another was to picture myself standing near a river and writing my problems on leaves and floating them down the stream. I am a very logical person and I just felt like an idiot doing this, we didnt even get through an hour session. I am hesitant to go back to the same doctor or even a different one in fear of the same thing happening again. I felt like he almost didnt believe me that I was depressed or thought I was only there to get medication and now I have been very put off of the whole seeking help idea. I feel as though I was doing a better job by myself talking to my friends but I know that this can only go so far and wont help me improve past where I have been before, which unfortunately is still depressed. I was wondering if anybody has any advice or has gone through a similar problem?

Genimo Just started an SSRI
  • replies: 5

Hi everyonei am on an SSRI and I have never taken any medication before for my depression. My depression was leading to self harm so I have started an anti depressant. It's been a week since I started & immediately within hours of first starting I no... View more

Hi everyonei am on an SSRI and I have never taken any medication before for my depression. My depression was leading to self harm so I have started an anti depressant. It's been a week since I started & immediately within hours of first starting I noticed myself no longer crying, and my anxiety just stopped- just like that- it's just a calm emotionless thought- free state now. I am feeling not happy, not sad, just nothing, just emotionless, and in a zombie like nothing state. I can't "really" smile brightly and I need to consciously tell myself to "smile". Has as anyone been on SSRI anti depressants, for how long, and did you notice any weight gain and other side effects.. Thanks

CrashCoyote Trying to find willpower.
  • replies: 12

My PTSD has been the gift that keeps on giving. It gave me obesity from not having the mental attitude to exercise. It gave me alcoholism to self medicate the pain and have some brief periods of being numb. Now I am fifty and tired of being a slave t... View more

My PTSD has been the gift that keeps on giving. It gave me obesity from not having the mental attitude to exercise. It gave me alcoholism to self medicate the pain and have some brief periods of being numb. Now I am fifty and tired of being a slave to the disease and the symptoms. Now obesity helps me cop out whenever I start regular exercise and get joint or back pain from it. Alcohol abstinence seems like a no brainer, but I still drink. Maybe not every day but at least a few days a week. I desperately want to stop comfort eating. I definitely want to stop drinking ANY alcohol at all. I'd love to find the joy in exercise that so many people seem to get. I know I have to make the changes, I've tried and failed many times before. Where can I find the will to make the good decisions? Why is it so hard? Any tips? Please?

Lihv How to start the conversation with a GP
  • replies: 6

Hi, I'm kind of new here, well not that new its just the first time i have posted anything. I was wondering how your first conversation with your GP started relating to depression etc.? I am horribly shy at the best of times and struggle to talk to p... View more

Hi, I'm kind of new here, well not that new its just the first time i have posted anything. I was wondering how your first conversation with your GP started relating to depression etc.? I am horribly shy at the best of times and struggle to talk to people I don't know let alone ask for help with anything. My line manager at work has been pushing for me to see someone for ages as I am as she puts it "30 seconds from tears" all the time. I'm not a huge fan of doctors because every time I have been sick with the flu etc. I've been pretty much been told to suck it up even though I work in an environment handling food. So the thought of going and asking for help because I am so unhappy is terrifying. I cant help but feel they will just tell me to suck it up again. I have looked on this site for a GP that is in my area but there is none. If anyone could give me some ideas as to how to start the conversation with a GP it would be great. Sorry for rambling. Lihv

Le_Chat_Noir Depression support groups
  • replies: 3

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I was just wondering, does anyone know of any depression support groups in the Melbourne area? There seem to be plenty of online forums and one-on-one therapists, but no support groups, wh... View more

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I was just wondering, does anyone know of any depression support groups in the Melbourne area? There seem to be plenty of online forums and one-on-one therapists, but no support groups, which surprises me. I figure that depression is an isolating experience and it would be helpful to share the experience in a supportive group environment where you interact with people on a more personable level. Thanks!!

Algor Help needed to find treatment.
  • replies: 1

HiI am joined this forum as I have no idea what to do or where to go. I am also a new to the country and do not know/understand the system with regards to mental health. Without going into to much detail, I have been depressed for a number of years a... View more

HiI am joined this forum as I have no idea what to do or where to go. I am also a new to the country and do not know/understand the system with regards to mental health. Without going into to much detail, I have been depressed for a number of years and attempted suicide once before. I recently lost my job and am feeling very desperate and have major anxiety. I have been able to afford treatment up until 3 months ago but now can't afford my treatment anymore. My doctor will not see me anymore as I can't pay the out of pocket expenses. This make me feel even more anxious and desperate. What can I do to get rrid of this anxiousness and despair. Please help! Thanks for your time. Algor beyondblue’s clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636. Normal 0 false false false EN-AU X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

BecomingAThriver Medicated, eat right, sleep enough, see psych, exercise - still low! Options?
  • replies: 6

Hi all, I know we can't 'will' ourselves well, or I'd already be well. I know it's an illness and that it's something I suffer from but at this point, I just want to know what other things I can do to improve my mood? I currently take an antidepressa... View more

Hi all, I know we can't 'will' ourselves well, or I'd already be well. I know it's an illness and that it's something I suffer from but at this point, I just want to know what other things I can do to improve my mood? I currently take an antidepressant, I eat very healthily,take an Omega 3 and magnesium supplement, exercise vigorously regularly, see a psychologist every couple of weeks and sleep as best I can (considering I am suffering major anxiety and depression that's hit and miss). I'm being kind to myself as best I can and trying to recognise that tomorrow will hopefully/likely be a new and better day. But today, SUX. I'm not sure if anyone has any other ideas for what I can do? Figured that if I don't ask, I won't know. My life is in disarray at the moment (not opinion, possible understatement) and I know it's depression telling me that it's not going to get better, but I need help. I feel like I'm out of options (depression specifically tells me I am). My friends keep asking if there's anything they can do, but there's not. They listen and are supportive. I don't know what else they could do, I can't even help them feel less helpless. I'm exhausted and spiralling... need advice from others who know what I'm going through and some options, cause I'm out of ideas

Chris_B NewAccess: a new beyondblue service supporting you to tackle day-to-day pressures
  • replies: 4

NewAccess is a new beyondblue program that is a free and confidential service to support you to tackle day-to-day pressures. A specially trained and experienced Access Coach supports you in setting practical goals to get you back on track. The progra... View more

NewAccess is a new beyondblue program that is a free and confidential service to support you to tackle day-to-day pressures. A specially trained and experienced Access Coach supports you in setting practical goals to get you back on track. The program includes up to six free sessions. These can take place over the phone or face-to-face.This service could be right for you if any of the following life events are causing you to feel sad, moody, angry or unable to concentrate or sleep:• Work stress or uncertainty• Change in living arrangements• ‘New parent’ worries• Family and relationship problems• Death, loss or illness of a loved one• Health concerns or uncertainty• Long-term isolation or loneliness• Financial worries or instabilityThe service is available to residents in the Medicare Local areas of Canberra, North Coast NSW and Central Adelaide and Hills. It is easy to access the program: you can make an appointment by calling the NewAccess team directly or by sending an email. Click here to find out more and book an appointment now.