Treatments, health professionals and therapies

Information on a range of different areas, including managing relationships with GPs and psychologists, and finding the right services for you.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

All discussions

Silverlining reducing dosage - I m worried
  • replies: 3

My husband has been battling for a little while now. Has plenty of downs not so many ups. Very recently he has decided to make a real effort to reduce his drinking which he's done pretty well with considering the amount he was drinking. The problem w... View more

My husband has been battling for a little while now. Has plenty of downs not so many ups. Very recently he has decided to make a real effort to reduce his drinking which he's done pretty well with considering the amount he was drinking. The problem we're facing now is he has decided to drop his medication dosage and I have really noticed the change and some of the old stuff recurring. I've asked him to discuss it with his doctor and not just drop it without having a consult but he's determined to lower it. We have always discussed things as a team and he has been really open with me but this is something I'm just not having any success with. I really don't know what to do. Should I see his doctor and discuss what's happening and maybe get some clues off him? I really am worried. I don't want us getting back to the old days and its heading that way.

L835 GP changed meds, WHY!!!
  • replies: 5

My partner has battled with depression all her life. We are in our 40's and have been together, off ad on! for 5 years. We have a 3 year old daughter. Every 8 months or so we split up for 2 weeks or so, Of course it is my fault, but she asks me to co... View more

My partner has battled with depression all her life. We are in our 40's and have been together, off ad on! for 5 years. We have a 3 year old daughter. Every 8 months or so we split up for 2 weeks or so, Of course it is my fault, but she asks me to come home. I'm used to it, and try to understand and ride it out. Earlier this year we discovered Matthew Johnston's books, and it was like a light being switched on for her, suddenly it all made sense, and things were really good. In fact so good that in March she asked me to marry her! Then, for no apparent reason, her GP changed the anti depressant she was on. Now, the engagement is off (because I made a passing remark about her 17 year old daughter's boyfriend smoking cannabis) She couldn't even be bothered to tell me, just took the ring off and let me notice. Every time we are in company she says 'oh he's nearly 50, time I got a younger model' the first 5 times were funny, now.... So tonight she's visiting the neighbours, who work in the women's centre, so it will be 'you're not bullying me into a relationship' and 'I have the right to end this relationship' when she comes home, no doubt with reinforcements, as the house is in her name, and she has found every excuse under the sun to stop me paying off part of the mortgage and becoming a joint owner. So, I would just like to thank the Doctor, for the effect the change in prescription is going to have on my daughter, for making me homeless, and most of all for upholding patient confidentiality and refusing to discuss things with me! Not sure what I expect anyone to say, just needed to say it! Rant over! Richard

elle73 Side effects of Noradrenaline-Serotonin Specific Antidepressants

Just wondering if anyone has experience taking Noradrenaline-Serotonin Specific Antidepressants? I've been on this medication for 2 weeks now and am feeling better already however I have huge concerns with one of it's side effects - weight gain. Curr... View more

Just wondering if anyone has experience taking Noradrenaline-Serotonin Specific Antidepressants? I've been on this medication for 2 weeks now and am feeling better already however I have huge concerns with one of it's side effects - weight gain. Currently I'm not overweight and have a BMI of 22. I don't exercise on a regular basis but am prepared to increase physical activity to minimise any increased weight associated with this medication. I guess my cause for concern is my age. Being forty it's easier to put weight on and harder to lose it. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

BeeGee SSRI fuzziness?

I hesitate to ask this question because I know that the right answer is "it's different for everyone"... but I'd like to hear others' experiences. I've just started my first SSRI and I'm on day 6. I started on half dose for the first two days and had... View more

I hesitate to ask this question because I know that the right answer is "it's different for everyone"... but I'd like to hear others' experiences. I've just started my first SSRI and I'm on day 6. I started on half dose for the first two days and had some mild nausea, but by day 3 that was fine. Since day 4 (full dose) I've had some significant mental "fuzziness" - hard to concentrate, difficult to process what I'm reading, feeling like information is not sticking in my head. Has anyone else also experienced this, and if so how long did it take for it to settle down? I'm trying to study for exams next week and thinking I may need to drop back to half dose until exams are over so I can think straight, but if it's likely to settle in a day or two I might persevere. I'm not at any risk without meds so a dose reduction would be no problem.

EmmaP First Therapy Session Today- What to Expect??

Hi Everyone, I have my first therapy session today with the psychologist after being on antidepressants for a week now. I'm quite anxious and not sure what to expect. I am a planner to an OCD extent and am after some idea of maybe how it will go or w... View more

Hi Everyone, I have my first therapy session today with the psychologist after being on antidepressants for a week now. I'm quite anxious and not sure what to expect. I am a planner to an OCD extent and am after some idea of maybe how it will go or what I should go with prepared in my mind or on paper. My GP faxed them my dot point list of what I wrote of how I have been feeling/experiencing of late. Should I prepare anything else? I have heard that the first appointment can be very draining and emotional, but I'm worried because I have to go back to work afterwards as I wasn't able to get the day off Any wisdom/knowledge/experiences you can share with me would be fantastic!

MrsCam counselling session by video link - my experience
  • replies: 4

Had my first video link counselling session today. Feel really good about how it went... felt really comfortable with her which is great. She has suggested that maybe my hubby would like to come along with me one time, or have a session without me so... View more

Had my first video link counselling session today. Feel really good about how it went... felt really comfortable with her which is great. She has suggested that maybe my hubby would like to come along with me one time, or have a session without me so he can talk about how he feels and how my depression impacts on him and on our marriage. Have mentioned this to him tonite and he is not completely opposed to the idea so that is great....hope everyone has had a good day

Starz Dr says to give it a few weeks
  • replies: 2

I'm on a new SNRI (3rd AD we are trying to get rid of side effects), well it's not even that new anymore. I started it 3 weeks ago on a small dose, and the Dr just upped my dose a week ago as I was sliding rapidly backwards. I know it's only been a w... View more

I'm on a new SNRI (3rd AD we are trying to get rid of side effects), well it's not even that new anymore. I started it 3 weeks ago on a small dose, and the Dr just upped my dose a week ago as I was sliding rapidly backwards. I know it's only been a week but it's still getting worse not better. Should I go back early or try to tough it out? I'm normally good with Dr instructions but with the first 2 AD's we tried I had really good results quickly and it feels horrid to be like this again after feeling so good for a month.

Starz If AD's work for me - do they always work or will there still be fluctuations
  • replies: 6

I'm taking AD's and they have been working for me. Does that mean they'll always work for me or will I have times where things go haywire again. I know my mood etc won't be awesome all the time, natural fluctuations based on what's going on in my lif... View more

I'm taking AD's and they have been working for me. Does that mean they'll always work for me or will I have times where things go haywire again. I know my mood etc won't be awesome all the time, natural fluctuations based on what's going on in my life will happen. But will the baseline stay stable? Thanks for any advice

alone63 Down, Down and feeling Down....
  • replies: 2

I've just finished a my tablets and now I'm thinking is it worth getting another lot.... Their anti-depressions, but are they working ??, I feel that they aren't working, as I feel that I'm as low today as I was at the start of my breakdown.. I also ... View more

I've just finished a my tablets and now I'm thinking is it worth getting another lot.... Their anti-depressions, but are they working ??, I feel that they aren't working, as I feel that I'm as low today as I was at the start of my breakdown.. I also feel that I have no control in my life and that others are running it, which is not what I want.... This doesn't feel like a life but an existence, I not going to but up with it, I'm not worth the hassle... Their people around me that are trying to buck my spirit, but as you all know depressives are very good at hiding their true feelings.... My psychiatrist left the practice she worked at with out at word to her patients, this as knocked me quite a bit, it say's to me if she's not bothered then why should I ........

smiffy Medication
  • replies: 1

Hi, my doctor has recommended that i start taking antidepressant tablets for depression. This will be the first time ive taken medication for depression and i am a bit apprehensive about it....actually ive been starring at the packet for about a week... View more

Hi, my doctor has recommended that i start taking antidepressant tablets for depression. This will be the first time ive taken medication for depression and i am a bit apprehensive about it....actually ive been starring at the packet for about a week so far! I normally opt for the natural approach but my doctor feels that i need a bit more this time and i do agree.Our lives (my hubby and i) has recently been changed due to a serious accident that has happened to my husband. The accident was 9 months ago and i stayed strong for so long but recently have found it difficult to deal with. It has changed our lives considerably. I would love to hear from anyone who has been taking antidepressant medication and if it has worked and if there has been any side affects from it? Many thanks