Staying well

Support each other to stay well, from mindfulness, sleep, diet and exercise to reducing drug and alcohol use and coping with difficult emotions.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Just Sara A Bouquet for Pearls - share your appreciation for other members
  • replies: 715

Every now and then, members share a beautiful Pearl of Wisdom. How often do you think to yourself; "OMG that's great! I wish everyone could see this." Presenting someone with a bunch of flowers is a generous way of acknowledging their insightful word... View more

Every now and then, members share a beautiful Pearl of Wisdom. How often do you think to yourself; "OMG that's great! I wish everyone could see this." Presenting someone with a bunch of flowers is a generous way of acknowledging their insightful words. I hope this thread stays active through members giving out praise regularly to people they feel deserving, and therefore keep generosity of spirit alive within the pages of BeyondBlue Forum. My bunch of Red Roses (my choice) goes to Wishful for the following sentence; 'Personally, I see no reason to be praised in me, but I'm learning that seeing through the eyes of others can be more accurate!!' I so hear you Wishful. Just beautiful... Try to keep your leading comments short to focus on 'their' words. Choose specific flowers (or a gift if you like) to present to them. Sign off respectfully and sincerely. I hope this takes off... Spreading the love...Sara

All discussions

KJ Disclosing your illness to Employers
  • replies: 7

Hello my name is Kerri and this is my first post on the site. I would like to ask if people disclose their illness to their employer or a prospective employer? I was diagnosed with PTSD and Depression just over 10 months ago and did not work for that... View more

Hello my name is Kerri and this is my first post on the site. I would like to ask if people disclose their illness to their employer or a prospective employer? I was diagnosed with PTSD and Depression just over 10 months ago and did not work for that period of time. I have worked all my life and to suddenly have to try and explain why there is a gap on my résumé feels wrong not to tell the truth but am worried about employers reactions. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. KJ

lucy66 How did you find unique ways of coping DURING depression? -A young woman's personal narrative
  • replies: 0

As a Media/ Communications student, I have always been told to write about 'what I know'. Sadly for me, that has been depression but I'd like to know how others found unique ways of getting through daily tasks and surviving depression. I wrote this P... View more

As a Media/ Communications student, I have always been told to write about 'what I know'. Sadly for me, that has been depression but I'd like to know how others found unique ways of getting through daily tasks and surviving depression. I wrote this Personal Narrative for a journalism class , however, I hope that others can find similarities and reassurance within it... A Sleepless Prison Experiencing true, euphoric joy for the first time in years, I feel like a prisoner. Ignoring the shred of razor wire, deafening howl of alarms and searchlights harsh glare I make my escape into the ‘real’ world. A world where my senses are awakened and my mind indulges guiltlessly in the joy of living. Leaving behind my jailer, I revel in the smell of dusty horses and leather, the silken softness of cats fur and dew-soaked mornings spent wrapped in a blanket on the veranda, gazing out over the farm with steaming coffee warming my fingertips. I live my life as a fugitive, trading in a new currency of smiles and rationality I am rewarded two-fold by the lit up gaze and benevolent grins I receive in return. All the while I remain wary of my captor, lurking in my minds shadows, waiting for me to slip and fall. My jailor, the one that has pursued me, the one that has haunted me has a name, yet no body, a motive but no soul. My tormentor is depression. Some people think that depression numbs the mind, makes the rhythm of life flow in slow motion, but my life became punctuated by constant thought. Although I didn’t wear an orange jumpsuit, my mind was a cell and I occupied my time there marking my faults like chalk strokes on the wall and peering through the bars. I attempted to read the consciousness of others and procure what they thought of me. How they judged. Constantly seeking the purpose in everything, I found value in nothing. Unless something was a means to an end, I found it pointless –fun was the first thing to go, overtaken by a lethargic desire to simply ‘exist’ in a world that was no longer mine but devoid of control. Like breaking stones in the prison yard, everyday tasks chiseled away at my resolve and even minor criticisms shattered my will like a sledgehammer. Sleep became an elusive prize, a battle won only by exhaustion. Each toss and turn made morning an occasion greeted by relief followed shortly after by the realization of another day ahead. I awoke like a dog, exited by the return of his owner, only to watch him walk away. I remember climbing out my bedroom window night after night, tip-toeing my way down the path through a maze of pots and rogue tree limbs and hazily pushing my weary body through the wires of the back fence. A low whinny acknowledged my presence as I slid in my headphones and shuffled into position on my horses broad back. Falling off was nothing compared to the pain of being trapped in my razor-wired mind so there I sat, the repetitive pulse of the music drowning out my thoughts with only the moon to gaze down on us. He became my sole confidante, never judging, never telling, only bobbing his head occasionally to pick at the grass or shaking his mane as if to shake me out of my turmoil. Climbing back into bed, the seconds turned to hours, the fluorescent glow of my alarm clock mocking me as each minute flicked by as a rearrangement of green bars on blackened screen. Such had become my life –minutes past marking out tasks endured and taking precedence over joys to come. I trudged on, trapped in the dreary monotony of daily life. An empty shell, sucked dry of the colour and vibrancy it once contained only to be replaced by the harsh purple shadows beneath my eyes and grey cloud looming overhead. Coffee became as valuable to me as liquid gold, a faithful mainstay allowing me to function just well enough to divert suspicion that all was not well in my world. I had become a master of falsified emotions, going through the motions of social niceties. In a caffeinated daze, I would nod when prompted, mutter hurried responses to queries and on occasion, force my lips into a submissive smile. My eyes gave me away. No amount of concealer or coats of mascara could erase the shadows beneath them or weary glaze, even so, meeting the gaze of another proved my most difficult obstacle. I felt like a nocturnal creature, emerging against my will from the safety of darkness to a place where every glance was a threat and the sunlight blinded me with its painful whiteness. Feigned enthusiasm and an overt eagerness to please became my weapons of choice against these perceived threats. I may have been the only inmate in the enclosure of my mind, yet everyone and everything, my jailor warned me, were out to kill. Superior to me in intelligence, looks and vivacity, my friends and family became to me like a panel of judges. They sat condemning my faults as the jurors watched on, my teachers, peers and neighbors amongst them. Like acid burning away at my skin, the pain of scrutiny, real or perceived, became a burden too heavy for my aching limbs to support. Exhausted, I finally submitted to the probing questions of a doctor, tears tumbling down my cheeks where constant streams had formed well-worn furrows, their salty warmth a strange comfort. Medicated, my world seemed suddenly calm. My pain was numbed and my captor anesthetised but not destroyed. I started going to the gym, setting free my body on the treadmill with my irrational fears behind me as motivation –setting free my mind –albeit temporarily. Eventually, I ridded my self of the tablets that had obscured my view of the world, smothering me like a protective mother, too afraid to let her child experience the world’s pains, yet preventing them from experiencing it at all. I started to talk. As if learning to speak again –to connect with another on a level that transcended the weather, homework or superficiality –topics I had once deemed safe. I called friends for enjoyment, to share in dreams, desires, daily highlights in place of the cold drone of complaints and mental ailments. Most important of all, I evicted my captor from his post in my consciousness, changing the locks, one walk, one heartfelt discussion and one act of self-belief at a time. Sunshine is no longer a taunting contrast to the darkness that once shrouded my outlook, its warm rays permeate my skin, imparting their uplifting vigor as they radiate to my core.

dudewheresmypaddle How has BPD impacted on your life and what have you found helpful?
  • replies: 2

I was diagnosed in 2010 after a short stay in a Psychiatrist Unit at a major hospital. After being diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder, my life up until that point all started to make sense. I have always been impulsive, irrational, iratic... View more

I was diagnosed in 2010 after a short stay in a Psychiatrist Unit at a major hospital. After being diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder, my life up until that point all started to make sense. I have always been impulsive, irrational, iratic, had black or white thinking, ended friendships on a whim and basically run my life with my emotions. Sound familiar, well let me tell you it hasn't been a picnic conducting a life emotionally-fuelled but I find it impossible to change because I don't know any other way to behave. I am currently in counselling and have had 6 sessions and not even scratched the surface. I haven't even had the opportunity to discuss my MI because there was a whole heap of other issues I need to discuss first. I just feel that because I have been behaving for most of my life with a BPD mind and behaviour that I will never be able to learn any other way. I would appreciate any other assertive feedback that you might have that might help me learn another way to think and behave so I don't feel like a walking time bomb.

10_05 Is depression like alcoholism? Is it something that can be cured or is it something that needs to be 'managed carefully' for life?

Hi - I am brand new on the forum and I think have joined simply to pour my thoughts out without someone crying when I tell them what has happened. My brother attempted suicide 3 days ago. He has been in a coma for 2 days. Yesterday he came out of the... View more

Hi - I am brand new on the forum and I think have joined simply to pour my thoughts out without someone crying when I tell them what has happened. My brother attempted suicide 3 days ago. He has been in a coma for 2 days. Yesterday he came out of the coma very confused with no recollection of that actual incident. Physically he is strong and he will recover but I am so so scared for his mental health. At present the hospital had him under 24 hour surviellance but he just keeps pleading to go home. At times his pleading changes to anger toward his family. At other times he is his jokey and jovial self. I know it is still early times and I am reminding myself that in some ways this is the best outcome we could have hoped for. He is physically ok, he now has unlimited support available to him and he can't hurt himself. I want him to feel worthy again, I want him to recognise all the things he has to live for. I want to get him out of hospital too so we can go and hang out at the beach or go motor bike riding, I want him to want to be there for his young children . . . . . But I am so so so scared that he will try again once he is allowed to leave. I am scared that nothing has changed externally and all those struggles are still there. My brother is a very proud person and I know he has been struggling but any offers of help are bluntly refused. My mum has said we can not blame ourselves for not seeing the signs but we did know. We all knew and we failed to provide the support that he needed. When it happened, my brother had his partner and family over. Apparently the evening was 'going well'. No one anticipated him leaving the table and not returning. If this is how easily life can slip through our hands . . . . I want to be there for him, but an event like this has a way of bringing up your own demons. The knock on effect to family dynamics is devastating and there is a lot of blame, anger and frustration. I know this is a minor challenge in the scheme of things and my brothers wellbeing is the most important thing right now. I know there is no quick fix. I realise this will be a long road for all of us and especially for my brother but will there ever be a point that this will become just a bad memory? Will we ever be able to relax and not over analyse every single word that we do or do not say to him or around him???? How do we help when we appear to have failed so dismally so far????

edwinaawilson One of those weeks..
  • replies: 3

Always seems to come out of nowhere right, how you can be coping amazingly and feeling great and then you wake up one morning and realise "aw great it's one of those days.."

Always seems to come out of nowhere right, how you can be coping amazingly and feeling great and then you wake up one morning and realise "aw great it's one of those days.."

matt Benifits of exercise
  • replies: 6

Im getting a lot of conflicting info on research of exercise. Just wondering has anyone had any positive experiences with it. Thanks

Im getting a lot of conflicting info on research of exercise. Just wondering has anyone had any positive experiences with it. Thanks

whitedove89 Please read my new online blog - a young persons view on mental health/mental illness
  • replies: 3

Hi All, I am a 24 year old woman and I've recently began writing about my personal experiences with mental health/mental illness. I'm hoping my blog reaches those who need it most, whether you or someone you know is suicidal, I urge you to read my bl... View more

Hi All, I am a 24 year old woman and I've recently began writing about my personal experiences with mental health/mental illness. I'm hoping my blog reaches those who need it most, whether you or someone you know is suicidal, I urge you to read my blog. I'm by no means an expert but I offer what I know, have learnt and still learning. I will answer any questions and respond to any feedback. Thank you for your time. Here's the link : http://whitedove89.wordpress.com

Dennis38 How do you control the highs?

To day started out good, woke up, which is always a plus in my book, got to spend a little time with my wife before she went to work, had a good walk with the dog, was generally speaking in a good mood. Had lunch, watched a good movie, and now I am s... View more

To day started out good, woke up, which is always a plus in my book, got to spend a little time with my wife before she went to work, had a good walk with the dog, was generally speaking in a good mood. Had lunch, watched a good movie, and now I am sinking fast into a depression, I know how to fix this "little" issue and I will, its a simple matter of taking the dog for another walk and more than likely despite the physical pain the brain will kick itself back into a good mood. Of late this has been an on going thing, up one minute, could be a few hours, then down in the dumps the second minute, hell yesterday I went from happy to sad to pissed off to super happy again, all with in a half hour then back to what ever my normal is, I prefer to think of it as in the middle ground. Normally I can control the mood swings, they are part of my life, heck I can almost predict them, and some days I can stop them simply by avoiding my triggers, but the last week or so I have had no warnings, in some odd way I can handle the down swing better then the upswing. Part of this I think is because of the stat class I am taking for my MBA that has me a little stressed out, wont admit that to the wife who says I am stressing out, I just can't admit to a woman that she is right, goes against the grain and she might get a big head, only room in this house for one ego and mine is big enough! And of course the no work thing is driving me a little nuts, and have the inlaws coming over for the weekend they are going to a monster truck rally and saddling the wife with our great niece who is only 2, and I say saddle my wife because she is the one that will be looking out for the munchkin! AH joy the upswing is happening as I write this long post simply because a good song came on so now I will be super high pretty damn soon, I think the main reasons I hate the highs is that I can stop how fast or how high I climb, then of course there is the screaming crash and burn after the super high. So a question for anyone that can answer it or have any ideas, how do you control the highs? The lows I know about, took a while but I can keep myself from getting too low, the highs though I have no clue how to stop and they scare me, and I think it scares the wife because when I am high I am laughing to the point of crying over the littlest thing, and I can't stop until the brain kicks my legs out from under me then I crash and man that crash is physicaly and mentally hard! Any ways going to go walk the dog in hopes it will kick the brain back into neutral or at least get myself moving forward! Wish you all the best in fighting the beast and remember there are people out there that can help if you are willing to put your hand out!

Pixie15 Your experiences of group participation.
  • replies: 5

Hi to all who have been kind enough to read this post, I am coming to the end of current therapy and am looking for other options of support. One of the options I am considering is joining a support group. I have been fairly socially isolated for a l... View more

Hi to all who have been kind enough to read this post, I am coming to the end of current therapy and am looking for other options of support. One of the options I am considering is joining a support group. I have been fairly socially isolated for a lot of years and because of various experiences have trouble trusting people and I am fighting off the impulse of going it alone again. The decision is mine but I get the impression that the psychologist may think a group would be a good idea. If anyone wants to share their experiences of group participation, the good, the bad and the cautionary, I would be very grateful. Thanks, Chris.

Pixie15 I need to say thank you.
  • replies: 2

Hi, I can not remember why I first signed in to the online forums earlier this year. It is not something I would usually do. I am very glad I did though. I have received so much help. From being able to share some of my own experience and from readin... View more

Hi, I can not remember why I first signed in to the online forums earlier this year. It is not something I would usually do. I am very glad I did though. I have received so much help. From being able to share some of my own experience and from reading a lot of your stories and responses. I think this helped me to stay committed to seeking help and continuing with therapy when it was challenging. I have mentally moved from being on auto pilot waiting to die to really wanting to live. I have new goals, new dreams and hope for the future. I am happy.