Staying well

Support each other to stay well, from mindfulness, sleep, diet and exercise to reducing drug and alcohol use and coping with difficult emotions.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Just Sara A Bouquet for Pearls - share your appreciation for other members
  • replies: 715

Every now and then, members share a beautiful Pearl of Wisdom. How often do you think to yourself; "OMG that's great! I wish everyone could see this." Presenting someone with a bunch of flowers is a generous way of acknowledging their insightful word... View more

Every now and then, members share a beautiful Pearl of Wisdom. How often do you think to yourself; "OMG that's great! I wish everyone could see this." Presenting someone with a bunch of flowers is a generous way of acknowledging their insightful words. I hope this thread stays active through members giving out praise regularly to people they feel deserving, and therefore keep generosity of spirit alive within the pages of BeyondBlue Forum. My bunch of Red Roses (my choice) goes to Wishful for the following sentence; 'Personally, I see no reason to be praised in me, but I'm learning that seeing through the eyes of others can be more accurate!!' I so hear you Wishful. Just beautiful... Try to keep your leading comments short to focus on 'their' words. Choose specific flowers (or a gift if you like) to present to them. Sign off respectfully and sincerely. I hope this takes off... Spreading the love...Sara

All discussions

joey emotional resolutions
  • replies: 4

My new years resolution always used to be 'to be better'. That was when I was unwell. It was a terrible resolution because although the sentiment was good it wasn't really something I could control and I always failed. I guess maybe when I finally di... View more

My new years resolution always used to be 'to be better'. That was when I was unwell. It was a terrible resolution because although the sentiment was good it wasn't really something I could control and I always failed. I guess maybe when I finally did get better I achieved it but even that year failed a few times along the way. So what have I learnt...??? Apparently nothing! This year my resolution was to be happy. Again great sentiment but really - what is that as a resolution. I think the concept of a new years resolution is wrong. We are to vague. And will always fail. We should be setting new years goals. Such as - Each week I will do at least one activity that if for myself and I enjoy doing. I will take the time to do this and to do it mindfully. - I will go on three trips with family and friends (or alone) so I have some memories or experiences for 2014. Even if the trips are not good at least I will of seen something, done something or learnt something. - I will enrol in at least one self education course because completing a course is good for my self esteem. Etc. etc. Soo... it's only 11am do you think it's too late to redo my resolutions. What did others resolve?

amamas QUITTING SMOKING - TAKE 2
  • replies: 11

Hey guys Thank you all so much for all your support last time (4 & 3/4) days. This time I'm hoping I'm a bit better prepared. I've got a list of things I can try when my pain feels too intense and I've registered with Quitline, which seems like a gre... View more

Hey guys Thank you all so much for all your support last time (4 & 3/4) days. This time I'm hoping I'm a bit better prepared. I've got a list of things I can try when my pain feels too intense and I've registered with Quitline, which seems like a great site for anyone out there interested in attempting this with me. I maybe crazy posting again for a while but hopefully this time I can at the very least go longer than last time. Cheers, Amamas

chociloni financial counselling?
  • replies: 3

I put a question mark after the topic as Im not sure if thats the service Im actually after. I know a guy who has bipolar, who had an episode and put $15 grand on his credit card during it. He told me there was some organisation that helped him waver... View more

I put a question mark after the topic as Im not sure if thats the service Im actually after. I know a guy who has bipolar, who had an episode and put $15 grand on his credit card during it. He told me there was some organisation that helped him waver the total debt on his cc, because he had a diagnosed mental illness. I dont have bipolar, but I have diagnosed dysthymic depression and an anxiety disorder, and I was wondering if there'd be something like this financial service that could help me. I have a $10,000 credit card debt, and Im not in a situation at the moment to be making repayments. It would be of great help if there was something that could take down my debt to a more manageable amount. Even though Ive been struggling with depression and anxiety for over 20 years, it often seems the system views depression and anxiety as 'not bad enough,' and there is more help for psychotic disorders. If anyone could offer any advice, thatd be great, thankyou:)

Suzbj I'm starting a new thread of hope! This is a collaborative thread for ideas of how to make 2014 count! 2014 be better than 2013!
  • replies: 19

I will begin this forum with a pledge to find at least three things every day to be grateful for. For me it may be the sunbirds in my yard, the fact I have a roof over my head that is pleasant and cheap, the fact that I have had the privilege to meet... View more

I will begin this forum with a pledge to find at least three things every day to be grateful for. For me it may be the sunbirds in my yard, the fact I have a roof over my head that is pleasant and cheap, the fact that I have had the privilege to meet all of you on this forum. That is my three for today as an example. What else will work to make 2014 count and better than 2013? Cheers and lots of love, Suz xx

Guest7765 smoking-depression-karate
  • replies: 3

Hello well I really want to quit smoking because every time Im at karate I always cough my guts up even hours later but my problem is ciggies help with depression and boredom so how on earth do you not smoke and feel good and relaxed its been like 7 ... View more

Hello well I really want to quit smoking because every time Im at karate I always cough my guts up even hours later but my problem is ciggies help with depression and boredom so how on earth do you not smoke and feel good and relaxed its been like 7 years since i wasn't a smoker and i forgot how it felt

amamas Daily challenge
  • replies: 4

Hey guys I've got a xmas present for you. I've recently signed up with this site and I'm finding it BRILLIANT!!! challenge.meyouhealth.com It's awesome as they email you a challenge every day, you click on the site when you've completed your challeng... View more

Hey guys I've got a xmas present for you. I've recently signed up with this site and I'm finding it BRILLIANT!!! challenge.meyouhealth.com It's awesome as they email you a challenge every day, you click on the site when you've completed your challenge. Please go and check it out - it is honestly amazing!! I find with my depression etc I get caught in negative thinking and crap. With this site I feel a sense of achievement every morning. Plus I get to connect and celebrate with others in a safe way. MERRY XMAS!!!

amamas Ideas for Xmas on my own
  • replies: 23

So the big day one week away. My psych is in my head plan, plan, plan. So, I've been looking at what I want to do on this very triggering day. I want to be by myself. I want to listen to xmas carols by candlelight on xmas eve. Wake up xmas morning ha... View more

So the big day one week away. My psych is in my head plan, plan, plan. So, I've been looking at what I want to do on this very triggering day. I want to be by myself. I want to listen to xmas carols by candlelight on xmas eve. Wake up xmas morning have a yummy breakfast with the mandatory delicious coffee (from Stomp for any Brissie coffee lovers), watch a DVD, read a book, do some painting, snack on a well presented very tasty cheese platter and just chill out hanging with myself all day. Does this sound crazy to any readers? To me it sounds marvellous. I know there is the chance that my mood may drop to -1000 but it will probably go there anyway if I do the norm and hang with family. I've discussed this with my psych and advice seems to be balance, time with family and self. I don't know, am I deluding myself into believing I can have a pretty good day hanging with me? I feel like being around people makes my anxiety and depression so much worse so why not on xmas day give myself the gift of being with me, myself and I? Any advice, ideas, thoughts much appreciated! Thanks guys Cheers Amamas

vip A beautiful saying to help everyone over xmas time
  • replies: 8

Hi everyone I hopped onto the suicide prevention website and this is there saying that thought it might be beautiful to share it all with everyone on this forum. If you feel like your ship is sinking, it might be time to throw out the stuff thats bri... View more

Hi everyone I hopped onto the suicide prevention website and this is there saying that thought it might be beautiful to share it all with everyone on this forum. If you feel like your ship is sinking, it might be time to throw out the stuff thats bringing you down. Let go,of what is bringing you down and surround yourself with what brings out the best in you... This saying is so true anyway a nice one to put on the fridge and read daily. Take care everyone xx

Suzbj I need to stop using alcohol as a crutch
  • replies: 8

Can someone please help me get off alcohol as a crutch. I went to AA for a while a few years back, but being a small town, there was pressure to run meetings and put-downs of people (even though they were over one year sober) for getting involved in ... View more

Can someone please help me get off alcohol as a crutch. I went to AA for a while a few years back, but being a small town, there was pressure to run meetings and put-downs of people (even though they were over one year sober) for getting involved in positive things like the arts that meant they couldn't come to particular meetings because they had obligations to the arts. I don't want to live my life stuck in some room, hearing the same stories repeated over and over and over again, and being sentenced to not being allowed to do something positive in my life that is important to me if it is on the same night as an AA meeting - which is the gist of the requirements here. It is like a prison sentence. "You have no right to life. Your life now belongs in this room." To me it is like punishment and it shouldn't be that way. But that is how it is here and why so many people don't stay there. I will certainly never go back. But I do need help. Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction? I started this drinking thing at the age of 40. Cheers

Jo3 Staying well today
  • replies: 6

Hi everyone, I've written some pretty traumatic and distressing posts (under depression) over the past week. It's brought me right down into that deep dark tangled web. But today is another day, I am home from work for next 2 days, so my plan to stay... View more

Hi everyone, I've written some pretty traumatic and distressing posts (under depression) over the past week. It's brought me right down into that deep dark tangled web. But today is another day, I am home from work for next 2 days, so my plan to staying well will be: 1. taking dog for walk down the beach 2. going for a skin mole check (necessary) 3. catching up with a friend for coffee 4. swim down the beach this afternoon 5. just sit and listen to relaxation music on my phone Sometimes I need to just sit and do nothing. Even though my house is messy, adult kids everywhere, chores to do - I REALLY DON'T CARE. I don't care if hubby comes home and says - oh shoes here, shoes there, shoes everywhere!! I REALLY DON'T CARE. Today and tomorrow is going to be my time. Time for me to do whatever and if the family crack it - well bad luck. Hope everyone can have a staying well plan and enjoy your day. Take care everyone Jo