Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

Ellmo How does one find their purpose in life?
  • replies: 1

Of course you can't tell me the answer to my purpose, per se, but how am I supposed to figure it out for myself? I've soul searched and cannot come up with a point. What's the point to my life?I'm not suicidal, I don't want to die until I'm an old la... View more

Of course you can't tell me the answer to my purpose, per se, but how am I supposed to figure it out for myself? I've soul searched and cannot come up with a point. What's the point to my life?I'm not suicidal, I don't want to die until I'm an old lady, yet I have still found myself writing out who I want my belongings to go to when I pass, and hurting myself, as if it will be next week! I am confused at why I keep feeling so down. It hits like a Mac truck.I feel stuck in a job that I have lost passion for, but that everyone tells me I'd be stupid to leave as I'm about to clock up long service leave, and they have an amazing mat.leave policy for when my husband and I decide to start a family (in the next few years) which makes me feel stuck. It's not the job I want to do, but the job opportunities are next to none for a woman my age in my town.I'm studying a general uni course (Bach Arts) part-time (reg. job 4 days a week) because I don' t know what else to do/what I'm passionate about, but I want a degree with the hopes it'll get me a better job. My grades are starting to slip. I've let myself go the past 6 or so months and the weight is creeping on. I've gone from an active, 3-4x a week at the gym, kinda girl who this time last year triumphantly ran her first 10 kms (after forever declaring I'm 'not a runner'), to coming home from work, sleeping and watching TV and basically not moving at all every single night.My sleeping pattern is all over the shop. I won't go to bed until quite late then wake up early, but force myself to sleep as long as I can because I can't bear to face my closet thinking of what I can wear today that won't make me look pregnant (even though I'm not, but everyone is harassing us about it and my weight gain has people whispering), and wondering how I can structure my day so that I can speak to as little people as possible, because the effort of pretending I'm 'normal' is so hard.I'm just confused. I have great friends, supportive family, wonderful beautiful loving husband, great job with perks (despite feeling 'over it'), and I'm an ungrateful, lazy, whingeing , who can't be happy with my lot- then I feel guilty and shameful that I'm feeling yuk about my life. I'm thankful for this safe place to unpack my mind from time to time, even if it is non-sensical and makes me appear to be a vain, silly person. These feelings have intensified since my mother-in-law passed 3 mths ago.beyondblue's clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.

Joya The good days
  • replies: 2

You know the ironic thing about depression? It's the really happy days that follow. .. I feel wonderful today, hopeful even. But what about the people that I hurt when I couldn't pick up the phone to talk to them? What about the customers that won't ... View more

You know the ironic thing about depression? It's the really happy days that follow. .. I feel wonderful today, hopeful even. But what about the people that I hurt when I couldn't pick up the phone to talk to them? What about the customers that won't come back because I was in such a hopeless state that I couldn't give them the service that they deserved. Those are the thoughts that remain in my mind in the aftermath of depression. I feel like a fraud, because I know that it'll return and the cycle will start all over again. It's so baffling. ...

Mack_ Not sure where to turn
  • replies: 6

I have had severe depression for 14years or so, in the past year I have been diagnosed with severe anxiety and am struggling to come to terms with it. It goes through phases where I can "normalize" myself but other times I crumble over the silliest a... View more

I have had severe depression for 14years or so, in the past year I have been diagnosed with severe anxiety and am struggling to come to terms with it. It goes through phases where I can "normalize" myself but other times I crumble over the silliest and smallest of things. in the 14 years I'vesuffered; I've gone through bulimia, anorexia, self- harm and OCD. I still sometimes struggle with SH, and that is when I know things are getting bad again. i work in quite a stressful environment, and really have to stop myself from getting angry or crying at work. I just feel so angry and worthless. I don't know if I should attempt to change jobs to something less stressful where every decision is on me (this thought creates anxiety attacks thinking of change..) or do I just reduce my hours? If I reduce my hours I then worry about the financial stress of doing so?! im torn with what to do, today is particularly bad. I'm stressed, tired, angry, dissociated. I struggle to pay for psychological help, and am currently medicated. Apologies if this makes no sense, venting and hoping it will for someone and they can guide me. In some way or another? Thanks in advance. beyondblue's clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.

bluestar make my thoughts stop......please
  • replies: 3

I've had depression since i was 16 i'm now 36. i've had enough. i'm on anti depressants and seeing a great counsellor who trys so hard to help me and i just mess it up. I'm just so over it. i'm sick of feeling good not needed the drugs and help and t... View more

I've had depression since i was 16 i'm now 36. i've had enough. i'm on anti depressants and seeing a great counsellor who trys so hard to help me and i just mess it up. I'm just so over it. i'm sick of feeling good not needed the drugs and help and than bang it hits and i want to give up. how much can a person take?? why cant i do and keep up with what my counsellor tells me it's like i'm scared of being happy actually i dont know what happy is and i dont feel like i deserve it. all my friends have their awesome realtionships and kids and i've got me and my mind in my room alone. i want to like myself and than maybe i might find a guy that likes me but it's sooooo hard. Being younger was so much easier no boyfriends, no kids just your friends and fun times. beyondblue’s clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.

guest146 Is this regular depression?

Hi BeyondBlue, After reading some of the threads here, I decided to post and seek feedback. I have been diagnosed with bipolar for a decade, but after reading the forums, I am beginning to think I show much stronger signs of depression. I am always "... View more

Hi BeyondBlue, After reading some of the threads here, I decided to post and seek feedback. I have been diagnosed with bipolar for a decade, but after reading the forums, I am beginning to think I show much stronger signs of depression. I am always "coming down". It has taken over my weekends, my job, I struggle to maintain friends because sooner or later they get distant, and I've scared off so many people with my behavior and tendency to be inconsistent, negative and destructive. I am anxious and self conscious alot of the time. I have very few hobbies outside of work because I'm depressed enough not to be able to get into activities, and I have trouble navigating basic directions, functions, get lost easily etc. I have sought professional help and medication without any luck so far, and I have suicidal thoughts on a weekly basis.This is a hard and dysfunctional existence beyondblue’s clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.

Grey1 Don't Tell Anyone
  • replies: 5

I have read many threads and I took these and my GP and pyschologists advise about telling people about my depression. However, when I told friends they gave out an uneasy laugh and stooped the conversation and the ultimate let down was my company th... View more

I have read many threads and I took these and my GP and pyschologists advise about telling people about my depression. However, when I told friends they gave out an uneasy laugh and stooped the conversation and the ultimate let down was my company that caused my depression won't let me come back to work and offered me a small some to walk away. This has added to my depression and put me right back to where I was 2 months ago. So my advise is to only share with like for like people as others are still in the dark about depression.

beyondhelp Tears in the Office
  • replies: 1

Well I'm new to this site after watching some mental health shows this week on tv and seeing some very familiar signs.I experienced some heavy fog today at the office so I decided to search online and found a depression check list. Well this certainl... View more

Well I'm new to this site after watching some mental health shows this week on tv and seeing some very familiar signs.I experienced some heavy fog today at the office so I decided to search online and found a depression check list. Well this certainly rang home, the sadness, being withdrawn, numb, feeling unwanted, the little things set me off, feeling of being judged. The tears just come from no where with no motivation to want to work. I feel if I feel off the earth no body would even know or care. For years I have felt like this and never knew any different. I'm not one for self diagnosis but depression really seems to fit. It can't remember the last time I felt happy and laughed. I certainly don't believe I have anything worthy to offer and my life has run its course . beyondblue's clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636. Normal 0 false false false EN-AU X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

TinyJanet feeling fragile

Hey everyone, I hope this finds you well.I just wanted to write to SOMEONE because feeling depressed makes me feel as if I'm alone and can't talk to the people around me. It's so weird because I feel like I'm isolating myself, but I cant seem to help... View more

Hey everyone, I hope this finds you well.I just wanted to write to SOMEONE because feeling depressed makes me feel as if I'm alone and can't talk to the people around me. It's so weird because I feel like I'm isolating myself, but I cant seem to help it? Anyway, I just wanted to write and complain - hope that's okay. I just wanted to write that Ifeel brittle and broken and that I'm taking everything to heart. I had a disagreement with a best friend of 8 years a week ago and I can't get past it. It was something straight forward and if I was 'well', I would have shrugged it off and marked it down to a miscommunication...but this time, I keep going over and over and OVER it in my head and every time, makes me feel worse and worse. Physically, I feel sick to my very stomach. I don't understand it, but that disagreement has me crying all day, not sleeping at night and yesterday - even contemplating suicide because it hurt me that much. I honestly feel like I'm going crazy. I tried to talk to a friend (someone who knows us both) to get a wise opinion on it, but that friend just had a go at me and I took that to heart, too. I feel even worse having sought out help. Am I going crazy? I dont know how to get past this. I struggled getting out of bed this morning because I was awake all night going over every negative word my 2 friends had said to me. I don't understand why it's affecting me so much and along with depression, I have now developed a fear of hearing anything else from friends that might hurt so I have stopped talking to anyone. I can't live like this beyondblue's clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.

hyde just my thoughts on paper

There's just some darkness inside that I cannot reveal... Because they tear me apart with their ugly truths that lay concealed. Iv known this darkness all of my existence and even I have never gained peace from their pecistance. So you see I have no ... View more

There's just some darkness inside that I cannot reveal... Because they tear me apart with their ugly truths that lay concealed. Iv known this darkness all of my existence and even I have never gained peace from their pecistance. So you see I have no choice but to withold from you.. because I fear that what this darkness says is true. There's so much I wish I could say and have you chase this lifetimes darkness away... I don't just not say because I'm fearful.. I don't just not tell because I love you. But to protect both the lover and the loved.. I withhold the powers within this silence and place you happily above!

Guest_9466 What do you think of Mental As on ABC?

Hello, Not sure where to post this, so moderator, you are welcome to move this thread to another appropriate slot? Has anyone seen the Mental As screened by ABC TV. I am not sure if I am happy with the way those with mental health issues were portray... View more

Hello, Not sure where to post this, so moderator, you are welcome to move this thread to another appropriate slot? Has anyone seen the Mental As screened by ABC TV. I am not sure if I am happy with the way those with mental health issues were portrayed. Yes, perhaps they want to cover a whole spectrum but why don't the powers to be, includes people who suffer from depression but can still function daily at home and in the workplace.? It is true that I may not be as productive but I was still able to work and contribute to the family income. I didn't claim any disability allowance or any social security benefit. Seeing the program makes me ashamed to let people know that I suffered from depression. It is no wonder that there is a stigma attached to depression / mental health issues.