Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

AndyL Where to from here?
  • replies: 7

I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety around 6 years ago, which I have been managing with varying degrees of success and failure over the years; throw in the stress of a work environment that makes me feel worthless, and that I can’t get out of... View more

I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety around 6 years ago, which I have been managing with varying degrees of success and failure over the years; throw in the stress of a work environment that makes me feel worthless, and that I can’t get out of at the moment, I’m spiralling again. I’m generally not embarrassed about talking about my illness, in fact some may think I overshare, but my mind is so foggy that even the simplest of thoughts is difficult to explain. It’s becoming unbearable. I’m a loving husband to a supportive and brilliant wife and dad to 2 beautiful children, but my confidence and self esteem which has never been high, is waning terribly.

BabySteps My life became Increasingly worthless
  • replies: 1

Growing Up I resented my father since I was 8 year's old Than I went to high school and from 12 to 18 I was a painful poeser and a loner and bullied socially and physically for 6 year's Than I was bullied for an extra 5 year's, when I tried to re kin... View more

Growing Up I resented my father since I was 8 year's old Than I went to high school and from 12 to 18 I was a painful poeser and a loner and bullied socially and physically for 6 year's Than I was bullied for an extra 5 year's, when I tried to re kindle two of those broken friendship's with one more long hall with them I was alway's meek all the time. ALWAY's In too many way's I had a narcissistic father, He was selfish, arrogant, vicariously or plainly controlling, dyslexic, rude, Jealous and He was a dead beat absent bill paying father, He would also gas light my mis diagnosis and call me disabled, retarted, sick, or needing to be hospitalised or take medication. He would manipulate my centrelink disability pension as a allowance, rather than a government benefit, He was financial mild black mail. My father never could be corrected or regurgitate order only other people's be told fact's or fiction. He would also perceive or believe my value's, virtue's or political retrospective has to be with His agreement or Australia's Than my mother was vague, She was arrogant and vicariously liking Her own approaches to situation's, She would be emotionally abusive and say I am a child or Immature, and She wouldn't on every occassion hear my feeling's, or regard my wisdom Come later, I became mis diagnosed, when after high school I lost myself for a few year's and gave up and became destructively Infatuated with a online foriegn girl, It lead me to a mis diagnosis of schizoprehnia when I was In a suicidal fixated personality, the sad thing Is, It's lead me to cope pre diabetie's type-2 and have my gallbladder removed, I was bullied now at 26 to be enforced to voluntary admit myself In hospital for one month, It's affected my driving with occupational therapist assessment's and medical yearly review's x2 I was alway's a misfit, wanting meaning and purpose and Individuality, over Just the next tolerant or shit Job, I never was a dumb person to see the only value as money, even If money up hold's to the diversity of quality a life can be lead through I wanted to pursue creative Interest since as young as 14, and now at 26, I never could have the esteem, because I don't like living with my Dad, and I have a Immensity of Issue's, and I am behind by 10 year's with my life I never had my driving, I never had conventional direction, I never had net work, I had a clueless mother, and a selfish to Himself dead living father figure

Ramblify People who don’t seem to get better -Why?
  • replies: 24

Hi, I have lived experience with depression and anxiety. I consider myself lucky that I received good help from health professionals. I knew from a young age (16/17) that I didn’t want to be like my parents; and I wanted more from life. Recently, I’v... View more

Hi, I have lived experience with depression and anxiety. I consider myself lucky that I received good help from health professionals. I knew from a young age (16/17) that I didn’t want to be like my parents; and I wanted more from life. Recently, I’ve done a basic course in Individual Support (Disability); and have been working with people with disabilities and more recently, people with mental health disabilities. What I see a lot of is people who aren’t able, or just don’t want to, engage in their goals. Most have very bad living conditions - mostly dirt and hoarding. Basically they buy things and don’t clean, or have any organisation system. I also have lived experiences with these issues. The difference I think??? Is I was able to ask for help and if I didn’t get the right help or person I could look elsewhere. Im just rather perplexed at what happens to people to get in the states’ I’ve been witnessing? Have they given up on life? It seems like they don’t want to get better. Are they medication resistant? They don’t seem to like any doctors, Psychologists or Psychiatrists - they think they’re old dinosaurs and they find them pretty much useless. I have certainly had a few experiences like this myself, but I just found someone else. I guess I am lucky I have openess as a trait? mother people I have know who have had eg: a diagnosis of anti social personality disorder, and once they got the diagnosis they pretty much decided they were f&$@ed and nothing could be done; and stayed in their bedroom in their parents house for 20 years. I can’t totally relate to fear of failure (or success), low self esteem, low self worth, being and feeing overwhelmed and paralysed, procrastinating. But I guess I am (by nature??) somewhat resilient. I just wanted to get feedback about the notion of people who have mental illness who can’t be helped (usually because of their mental illness). How do people become stuck? Is it a lack of insight? And personality traits!? Are they just a lot sicker than anyone ever knew… I’m struggling to comprehend. thnaks

Rupes79 Antidepressants
  • replies: 5

Hi All, As a last resort I’ve gone back into my antidepressant which has helped in the past but unfortunately sometimes the side effects become overwhelming. I’m pleased to report that this time the effects are quite minimal and I have noticed a chan... View more

Hi All, As a last resort I’ve gone back into my antidepressant which has helped in the past but unfortunately sometimes the side effects become overwhelming. I’m pleased to report that this time the effects are quite minimal and I have noticed a change in mood. For the first time in months I don’t feel depressed but strangely I don’t feel myself either. What I mean is that the depression and low mood has lifted but I don’t necessarily feel a happy person. I’m just not a depressed person. I definitely see this as a net positive but was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences? Thanks

Guest_1584 Christmas, if your alone and might need to talk.
  • replies: 29

l can't find a thread to suit a Christmas alone and all those feelings involved so l'll try this and if others out there are in the same position , your welcome to come in and talk. Myself , it's crazy really that l even am alone and have been all we... View more

l can't find a thread to suit a Christmas alone and all those feelings involved so l'll try this and if others out there are in the same position , your welcome to come in and talk. Myself , it's crazy really that l even am alone and have been all week and will be all wkend too. l do have a few people in my life . Daughter, but she hasn't been well and will probably just stop home at her mums. A bother 20mins away, but he'll be down the city with his gf, a part time this yr anyway gf myself but she's been stuck up in Sydney most of the yr on legal matters and when not it's been Covid. We planned me going up but she doesn't have her own place, hotel prices this time of yr and Covid everywhere right now well. A huge family down in the city 3hrs away, hardly see them anyway but still, with Covid there right now too no ones having anyone over. One way or another , alone for Christmas again, all wk actually and all wkend too. Since divorce 9yrs ago pretty well all of them have been alone , some with my daughter but l've always felt guilty anyway bc l don't have anyone else over to make it a bit more fun and Christmasy for her. Can't belive l'm alone , yet again. There'll be so many people out there alone though, l know , it's very sad for the ones that might giva damn . Same old same old to l know , this stuff always hits many many people at Christmas time. Such a shame when even if your not into it , we'd all like a bit of joy if nothing else and most of us some company at least. l've even considered a going along to a salvos Christmas lunch or something except l don't need the lunch so that wouldn't be fair buttttt. Feel free to to talk about your situation here if you like and as much as you like. My best. rx

SweetChariot Feeling ashamed and stressed. I seem to always make the wrong decisions and I can't ever be happy
  • replies: 3

I recently was in a role which I hated for years and decided to give myself an ultimatum to quit and find a new role or to begin a masters program or further study in an area I would enjoy more in January. I wanted to allow myself this happiness of c... View more

I recently was in a role which I hated for years and decided to give myself an ultimatum to quit and find a new role or to begin a masters program or further study in an area I would enjoy more in January. I wanted to allow myself this happiness of change and to force myself to do something different but I feel I haven't been able to enjoy anything. I have enough savings to not worry about working for months and I have found a new role but I have been very stressed and upset due to the long HR and background check process. Although I received the role confirmation in the first week of November , it seems I wont be able to start until earliest mid January and I fear if they have another security check delay, until February. I find myself very stressed out as people ask me what I am doing in my time now and when I will start the role but in all honesty I do not know and feel as though I don't want to speak to anyone or be around people. I feel also stressed and sad as I was offered another role which I rejected for this position that I would have already started in November but I had hoped the role I am now waiting for would be better. I feel sad that I am waiting for so long and feel people must be judging me and thinking poorly of me for not just staying longer in the job I originally had until my clearances were complete as I left that role in October. I feel also quite lost and unsure of myself. I want to try and do the right thing and be a good person. I thought I would give myself a break and be proud of making his change but I just feel awful and sad and unable to enjoy it because of the uncertainty and delays in the background process. I also fear what if this new role isn't actually any better and maybe it is just me that can't seem to find my place or find satisfaction in what I am doing. I feel I don't have anything to look forward to or be proud of and feel as though if this role doesn't work out, (whenever I do start) that I may fall apart. I don't know what else to try and am losing the strength to keep hoping. I wish I was a better person and made better decisions and just feel so upset and uncertain of whether things will turn out better for me in the near future. I wish I had something good for myself that I could be proud of. I feel like I am failing and I want to be better.

Eventually Self destruction or self sabotage
  • replies: 4

For as long as I can remember I self sabotage myself whenever I begin to be happy. I have just resigned from a job I love with amazing people going back to a job full of stress and mind games i Fail at every friendship I try to make I don’t know what... View more

For as long as I can remember I self sabotage myself whenever I begin to be happy. I have just resigned from a job I love with amazing people going back to a job full of stress and mind games i Fail at every friendship I try to make I don’t know what I am doing wrong. Feeling soo lonely and disconnected from the world. don’t know what to do anymore. my daughter is such a strong independent world who I am soo proud of but how can I be a positive influence when I am failing at every part of life not sure what point when feeling like this anymore

mcc Bipolar, Depression and Anxiety
  • replies: 4

Hi, I am 24 years old and have suffered from Depression and Anxiety for a very long time but have fairly recently been diagnosed with Bipolar. I am very low and would be lying if I didn't occasionally have very bad and dark thoughts. I am 100% safe a... View more

Hi, I am 24 years old and have suffered from Depression and Anxiety for a very long time but have fairly recently been diagnosed with Bipolar. I am very low and would be lying if I didn't occasionally have very bad and dark thoughts. I am 100% safe and would never action the thoughts but the idea of it is common in my head. I was on the up and everything was improving and recently relapsed (not sure if that is the correct word). I have a lot of feeling nothing and has seen a lot of good things in my life come to an end. I have started drinking with my mates again and I feel absolutely on top of the world at the time but I regret drinking so much for days afterwards. I am scared and just embarrassed of myself. I am at home today just having panic attacks and just absolutely hate myself. I see a doctor and counsellor weekly and I just do not know what to do because nothing seems to be working. Any tips or anything at all would be appreciated.

bonavitae Hope I post in the right forum!
  • replies: 15

Hey everyone, I am not sure if it's the right forum, but here it goes. I don't have a lot of people I can talk to about anything. Feel empty, lost, don't know what to do anymore, like I don't know who I really am anymore and don't know where to start... View more

Hey everyone, I am not sure if it's the right forum, but here it goes. I don't have a lot of people I can talk to about anything. Feel empty, lost, don't know what to do anymore, like I don't know who I really am anymore and don't know where to start looking or even where to start to a degree but I guess here is a good start. For the last 5years or so, everything has just be steadily "declining". Jumped from job to job in Sydney, either didn't suit, got fed up with management and finally terminated because I didnt follow the "sales steps" and had a more down to earth and easy going style (which received good feedback from my clients and meeting targets). So after I was fired in late 2018, just before Covid, I had to move in with family back out in the Central West and it's been eating away at me. Since being back had another few other things happen and it feels like I just can't get anything right, and probably never will. As an example; I had gotten a job and was working full-time, with clients ringing head office and posting some pretty good reviews and feedback, but it didn't work out there either and that was about 12mths ago. Within a few weeks of moving back in with family, my epilepsy started playing up again after 4yrs seizure free and unmedicated. The family members I moved in with irritate the absolute (Little Brother who owns the house, his new gf who moved in a few mths ago after dating for about 3-5mths and aged mother), irritate **** out of me with everything! To add to it, I have no privacy with both my brother walking into my bedroom at anytime for a smoke and his gf occasionally following him (yes, both whilst I am in there laying down relaxing, sleeping or not in there). I am probably being nasty because mum is in alot of pain and her health's not exactly great, but her constant moaning and groaning gets to me, amongst a few other things. She also feels the need to narrate the things she is doing or going to do, such as "I am going to have a shower and lay down" and everytime I have to hold myself back from saying, "I don't care. If you want to have a shower and lay down than do it, I dont need to know." So I am probably being nasty there. Anyway long story short, I just don't know anymore. I fall asleep some nights with tears in my eyes wondering and wanting to just disappear, not dead just alone. Any advice on where to start?

bonavitae Hope I posted in the right forum!
  • replies: 2

I don't really know what to write or where to start. The last 3-5yrs have been a steady downfall and have been feeling empty, lost, no motivation (for a while) and noone to really talk to. In 2018 had to move from sydney back to the Central West afte... View more

I don't really know what to write or where to start. The last 3-5yrs have been a steady downfall and have been feeling empty, lost, no motivation (for a while) and noone to really talk to. In 2018 had to move from sydney back to the Central West after issues with work and moved in with family, little brother owns the house and aged mum, and his gf (who moved in about 4-5mths ago after 3mths of dating) live there too, but I generally keep to myself, even eating dinner in my room. Since moving back in 2018, it feels like everything is on a steady downfall and not getting any better. I am epileptic and had lived for 4yrs unmedicated seizure free, and as soon as I move back to the Central West after Sydney, my epilepsy starts and I am back on medication again. The last job I had about 10mths ago, I was terminated after a client's mother abused me and I defended myself, every other clients had nothing but good feedback but only takes one I guess. Had a seizure driving after work and lost my licence for 12mths. The time comes for me to get a letter from my neurologist to have my licence unsuspended after 12mths seizure free medicated, the new neurologist refused to do telehealth or zoom etc and she deemed my emotional upset and distress as intimidating and aggressive, and now refuses to see me which means I have to drive to drive about 200km to see one or pay hundreds to see a private one if the do zoom. Mum has chronic pain and other health issues that she has been dealing with for a long time, but her constant moaning and groaning all the time gets to me and irritates the **** out of me, it's the same thing everyday over and over and over. What makes it worse is she narrates nearly everything she does to you and things like "Bona, I am going to have a shower and lay down for an hr" and it takes a lot not to snap at her and say "I don't care! If you wanna shower and lay down just do it, I don't need to know!" I have little to no privacy living in my brother's house at all. Little Brother will just walk in to my room to have a smoke, no knock, nothing just walks in has a smoke and leaves (5-6 times a day), and in some cases his gf will come into my room as well following him. It happens whether I am in there or not, with his gf even going in my room when I am in the lounge room just to pick up my cat off my bed. Even coming into my room to pat the cat laying on my chest on my bed, by herself. Everything has felt off and not quite right for a solid 12mths.