Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

Colorcraft I worry that something bad will happen all the time
  • replies: 8

Hi, I don't know we're to start, I think I have been suffering depression and anxiety for many years. I just don't feel happy at all. I worry to much about everything. I even worry about things that have not happend or just my mind thinkingthoughts o... View more

Hi, I don't know we're to start, I think I have been suffering depression and anxiety for many years. I just don't feel happy at all. I worry to much about everything. I even worry about things that have not happend or just my mind thinkingthoughts of what could happen and then worry about it. My mind makes up stuff all the time such as thinking people are judging me and then I start worrying about that. I'm a mum of two, have a partner and career which I love. I have big trust issues with my partner which I can not get rid of. My extended family well we're do I stray lets just say I worry about that as well. I worry people don't like me, I worry that something bad will happend all the time. That's me on the inside. On the outside everyone sees me as care free easy going. The strong one. No body in the entire world knows how hard it is for me to live each day. I'm so tired I just want to feel happy, I just want to feel free of my thoughts. I have never been on medication or counseling. I don't have time. I wish I can just curl up and go away but I can't I have to live for everyone who depends on me. I hope this forum will help me get things out overtime, as I'm very secretive about how I feel inside

Bec2014 Anxiety: a surprise
  • replies: 1

Hi All, Reading through these forums has been a very enlightening experience - the support that's out there and the incredible work Beyond Blue do to connect these support networks is to be commended. It compelled me to feel comfortable enough to sha... View more

Hi All, Reading through these forums has been a very enlightening experience - the support that's out there and the incredible work Beyond Blue do to connect these support networks is to be commended. It compelled me to feel comfortable enough to share my story. I was only very recently diagnosed with anxiety, an illness that, up until the diagnosis, I didn't fully understand. I was certainly one of those people who dismissed anxiety as something that can instantly be cured with a good diet, exercise, and a smile. I am surprised by how ignorant I was. One year ago I packed up life in Sydney with my fiancee and headed overseas. On paper, life is great: earning decent money in a job in the travel industry, travelling around Europe and the Middle East often and looking forward to planning a wedding. So why am I not happy? The panic attacks truly made themselves known about six months ago. I work with a very trying team of men who, whether intentionally or not, make me feel excluded and inadequate which, in turn, has meant that I have become recluse and unwilling to 'grow a pair' and speak up. My shyness and slight social anxiety that I was trying to overcome became more pronounced and there are days when I simply cannot get out of bed. The most bizarre thing is that I am aware that this behaviour is silly. I am aware that I am capable at my job and far more if I allowed myself to be more confident. I am aware I have a fabulous support network of friends and family, and my situation is a lot better than many others. I am aware that my friends are constantly reminding me that I am "living the dream." But I am surprised by how much anxiety changes this perception in my head. I am surprised by how long it took me to work up the courage to admit that my constant state of sadness, dissatisfaction and panic attacks were something serious and to see a doctor about it. I am surprised that I was diagnosed and given medication to regulate and lift my mood. I am surprised by how long it is taking me to go back to actually see a therapist to discuss ways to 'treat' me in more detail. I doubt I am alone in my thoughts, so I ask: what immediate 'self-help' exercises you undertake to manage your anxiety and lift your confidence on a day-to-day basis? How did you feel after your first session with a professional? Any advice you have would be helpful. Thank you, Bec

Ldog Does this sound like a panic attack to you?
  • replies: 3

Hello everyone I've been wondering if I've been having panic attacks or not for years, and I think here would be the best place to find out. These are my symptoms: Faster heartbeat, trembling, feeling like I'm being smothered, feelings of unreality/d... View more

Hello everyone I've been wondering if I've been having panic attacks or not for years, and I think here would be the best place to find out. These are my symptoms: Faster heartbeat, trembling, feeling like I'm being smothered, feelings of unreality/de-realization/depersonalization, sometimes I get a really strong feeling like I'm going to vomit (not nausea, it might be panic), déjà vu, not being able to talk normally (if I'm talking, I might trail off) and sometimes after I get a really bad headache, or I get REALLY tired. I was diagnosed with focal epilepsy about 3-4 years ago, but I don't believe it. The doctor I saw and the neurologist I thought were hopeless. I feel like no-one's listening to me. I was at the neurologist for seriously 2 minutes, and after my EEG says I have focal epilepsy, the doctor still insists it's absence seizures (._.) I do have generalised anxiety, so it makes MUCH more sense for it to be panic attacks, and I have experienced strong panic that has led to one of these...panic seizures? I'm sick of worrying about this! I had a panic seizure while I was with my psychologist, and she agrees with me that I'm not unconcious (the neurologist says I have complex partial seizures, which I don't agree with...and neither does the psychologist, since she witnessed it) I don't know if it's just me not hearing what I want to hear, because I can't drive. I REALLY want to drive, and I think I'd be fine driving. It's happened in a car before and I knew where I was; I could see a white car drive past. Anyways, if anyone has had any first hand experience with either partial seizures or panic attacks, information would be much appreciated Thank you! Did I mention I want to be a truck driver?

Get_better Feeling helpless not sure if this is normal and if I'll get better
  • replies: 5

Hello everyone I'm new here and I think it's time I get help,, I suffer severe anxiety and panic so the doctors tell me,, First symptoms was every now and again now I'm having it everyday! I've talked to a doctor they say to get on drugs but thinking... View more

Hello everyone I'm new here and I think it's time I get help,, I suffer severe anxiety and panic so the doctors tell me,, First symptoms was every now and again now I'm having it everyday! I've talked to a doctor they say to get on drugs but thinking about taking drugs makes me feel worse! I get very hard to breathe, tight in the throat chest and head,, nausea, chest pain, week in the legs, dizzy all the time, my vision is wierd, my head is starting to twitch sometimes, I'm very moody , I feel nervouse ,, I get pins and needles,, I feel like I'm dying or have something very wrong with me that the doctors can't find, I get head aches, my brain feels really wierd like all different sensations tingly being one and tightening being another (if that makes sense),, I feel like fainting ,, restless,, irritated,, snappy,,, tired all the time,, Sorry for the long list but there's so much feelings and emotions and I feel like its not normal. I tried diazapen once n threw them in the bin cause the thought of taking medication made me feel even more nervouse and worse ,, I honestly feel like I'm dying or ive got something seriously wrong with me. Is this normal and do medication help or make you feel worse,, please help ,, I just wana feel normal ,,

AusHam romantic relationships + being too forwards
  • replies: 2

Over the past couple of years, I've tried to pursue members of the opposite sex for romance, however each time I try, I end up being too direct or forwards in my approach (Im a guy). Because my quite direct approach, not only have I lost potential pa... View more

Over the past couple of years, I've tried to pursue members of the opposite sex for romance, however each time I try, I end up being too direct or forwards in my approach (Im a guy). Because my quite direct approach, not only have I lost potential partners, but on ocassions I have lost friendships altogether. Recently, I found out I was born left handed and have a habit of letting my emotions cloud my rational judgement on things I am interested in (e.g. if there is something I want to really buy, I wouldn't care about the price of the object). Has anyone else experienced the same things and feelings as me? If so, is there any easy way to deal with it?

MalcolmJD Music Performance Anxiety

Hello, I realize my problem is very minor compared to some, however, I am bothered by it. I have been a musician for many years playing the bass guitar. I have recently begun studying classical guitar formally, which means exams. I have sat two so fa... View more

Hello, I realize my problem is very minor compared to some, however, I am bothered by it. I have been a musician for many years playing the bass guitar. I have recently begun studying classical guitar formally, which means exams. I have sat two so far, and both times have been anxious to the point where it affects my performance. I know I can do much better and I know there is no logical reason for the anxiety (nervous yes, that can be channelled into positive energy, anxious no, that leads to tension). I have thought of trying to get beta-blockers, but that is a chemical solution (there were enough drugs in my band days!). I wonder if meditation might help, or cognitive behaviour therapy. I am interested to know if anyone else has experienced this problem, and their remedies. Regards, Malcolm

Avara Anxiety is killing me

It took a lot of guts to post something, I lead a somewhat successful life now, but I can't stop worrying. I've worked my way up career-wise but as soon as I'm home, "reality" sinks in...all I can focus on is an irrational thought pattern of "worst c... View more

It took a lot of guts to post something, I lead a somewhat successful life now, but I can't stop worrying. I've worked my way up career-wise but as soon as I'm home, "reality" sinks in...all I can focus on is an irrational thought pattern of "worst case scenario" where my child gets taken away, or I feel like I will go to court because I'm a few days late paying my phone bill. These scenarios just keep playing over and over in my head, progressively getting worse until I feel like my only way out is tokill myself to spare my family the shame of having a failure. None of it makes sense as I'm very happy and in the zone whilst I am at work. Everone there thinks I'm great. But as soon as I leave I feel like the worst person in the world and deserve to rot in prison. It's like I'm a fraud even though I'm not. Every conclusion points to me ending my life. As though ending it all will be the only thing that fixes all that is wrong. The dr said that because I am able to hold a good job, means that he isn't worried. The only reason I am still breathing is because I have a child. I just can't stop focusing on this immense, overpowering feeling of dread. It causes me to vomit. It causes me to do nothing but lay in bed all weekend. It causes me to wish that I was never born. It is like I have to be an actor in my own life just to survive. beyondblue's clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.

lightofday How did I get here?
  • replies: 29

Hi all Please bear with me if this is not well stated or there are gaps in detail - I am not a regular forum contributor on any site, and this is my first post here. I just wanted to reach out because you all seem very caring and supportive, and I am... View more

Hi all Please bear with me if this is not well stated or there are gaps in detail - I am not a regular forum contributor on any site, and this is my first post here. I just wanted to reach out because you all seem very caring and supportive, and I am struggling to cope at the moment. I will struggle to open up, because it's been so long since I have done so successfully. I have sought professional help but felt no connection or understanding from the person I saw - perhaps that is in part because I found it all too confronting. I'm a 37 year old who lives in complete isolation. Besides some small talk with people who pretend to care, and my lovely family who struggle to understand, I am completely, fully, on my own. I have no job. I gave it up after many years (more than a decade) - the last few of which were spent in a team which made me feel more and more worthless each day with constant put downs. I developed severe insomnia a year and a half ago, which is still destroying me (2.5 hours sleep last night). I also developed very bad drinking habits - this is the first day of a self imposed booze break so I'm feeling very raw with nothing to numb the feelings I'm having. I live alone. Well, I live with my dog who is amazing and deserves someone happier than me to care for her. I'm losing more friends each day because I simply cannot respond to people when I'm in this state, and if I do they just back away quietly because they don't know what to say. I feel like I need to rebuild my life piece by piece as I feel like a major disappointment to myself and my family. I am dying to get another job but am having trouble believing in myself so can't even fathom selling myself in an interview at this stage. I just feel monumental pressure because everybody wants to know whether I've found a job, and when I say not yet I'm perceiving their reactions as pity, disdain, disgust and the like. I need to rebuild some self esteem and lose the extreme social anxiety (and likely general anxiety) which seems to have taken over my life. My first step is to try to stop drowning in booze to numb the pain. My second is to post here. I hope I don't appear to be greedy or self centred, complaining when I haven't experienced any real, genuine trauma in my life, compared to a lot of people in the world, but I'm just putting my hand up because I truly do need some advice and support. This was painful to write. Not used to feeling raw instead of numb.

Little_Rascal paranoia?
  • replies: 9

So just becoming more awater of my reactions ... sent two texts to my partner, saying i love you, and only get xx back, if he has the time to reply surely he has the time to say i love you back. I feel on hold untillt I hear from him now. I have fina... View more

So just becoming more awater of my reactions ... sent two texts to my partner, saying i love you, and only get xx back, if he has the time to reply surely he has the time to say i love you back. I feel on hold untillt I hear from him now. I have finally had 2 good night's sleep and now im edgey and paranoid I know he's at work, and now I don't want to drive all the way to work if he has an issue with me just to have a fight and then drive all the way home

ALL Questioning...
  • replies: 18

Hi, I’m just wondering, does anyone with anxiety ever questioned whether they actually have it or not? is this a part of it? I have been diagnosed with it but I just can’t seem to come to terms with it, and I keep questioning if I am forcing myself t... View more

Hi, I’m just wondering, does anyone with anxiety ever questioned whether they actually have it or not? is this a part of it? I have been diagnosed with it but I just can’t seem to come to terms with it, and I keep questioning if I am forcing myself to be this way, or I could control it or the professionals were wrong. I tried to reason with myself that everyone’s experience is different and if I could have stopped I would have, but it’s hard. Sometimes I can feel myself loading more anxiety on, like it’s addictive in some way. This just makes the questioning worse! I assume the questioning is a part of anxiety???