Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

Backpacker1991xo Need some advise? Will I be like this forever?
  • replies: 4

Hi All, I'm new to this forum, and looking for some advise as I'm a backpacker who's a million miles away from my friends and family and really struggling to deal with what I believe to be my first experience of anxiety? Unfortunately whilst out with... View more

Hi All, I'm new to this forum, and looking for some advise as I'm a backpacker who's a million miles away from my friends and family and really struggling to deal with what I believe to be my first experience of anxiety? Unfortunately whilst out with my boyfriend some weeks ago, I was spiked with something that I originally thought had stayed in my system for a full week, however after various visits to the hospital they couldn't find anything wrong with me so I did some research and it seems the ordeal I went through has triggered anxiety? The first week I felt completely disconnected, the only way I can describe it is that I felt like I was stuck in some sort of trip you would get on a drug? Everything looked right to me, but didn't feel right? It's so hard to explain? I also had no appetite the first week, and whatever I did eat I through back up. I could however stomach fluids and drank lots of water. I had tingles in my head and hands? I also experienced sleep paralysis for the first time. Week two things started to look up and I started to feel a bit more normal after I had done some research and found that a lot of my symptoms related to Anxiety however things seem to be going in a downwards spiral again? I'm starting to feel disconnected again, my eyesight seems strange, blury and flashy? I can't sleep and when I do fall to sleep I have horrendous dreams and struggle to stay asleep? Does anyone have similar symptoms? Any advise would be so appretiated! Thanks x

Danni1301 Time to make the step
  • replies: 3

Hi Everyone, I think anxiety is something I have struggled with for years but just didn't really realise until lately it has started to consume my life. I am 24, I don't really have too many things to worry about in my life, yet everything seems like... View more

Hi Everyone, I think anxiety is something I have struggled with for years but just didn't really realise until lately it has started to consume my life. I am 24, I don't really have too many things to worry about in my life, yet everything seems like such a big deal. My ex made me believe he was the one for me, then went on to cheat, lie and leave me while I was on a studying trip in America. Now having entered into a new relationship, im finding all these insecurities and worries creeping in, making it very hard to love fully. And as most people know, sometimes I don't even know what's wrong, so it's very hard to explain to my boyfriend what is going through my head, and when I do try to explain, the situation frustrates him. People who do not suffer from anxiety, don't understand, and that in itself is driving me crazy because we are the absolute perfect couple until I start to feel uneasy and he can't give me that reassurance that everything is going to be ok that I need. And it's so unfair on him for me to expect that from him, to be left cleaning up the mess left by my ex. I lost my hair from stress, and now I have alopecia. Everytime I feel slightly stressed out, i lose a new patch of hair. I lost about 30kg, initially the healthy way, but then went on to lose more than I should have, usually by almost starving myself. The guilt of eating bad food was debilitating. And while now I have put on 5kg since then, I am starting to feel those thoughts creep back in. I don't know what advice to give my boyfriend in helping me get through this. He wants me to talk to him, but when I do i feel like he gets frustrated or doesn't understand. And I don't know what to do to get this terrible feeling out of my gut so I can focus on my new job and just be able to focus on anything except that overwhelming fear that something is going to happen.

lightofday Hi all
  • replies: 2

Hi guys and girls..... well it's been an interesting time for me of late. I just wanted to come and say thanks to you all for being there to listen and offer advice. You're all so very giving of your time and empathy, and such good people.I finally p... View more

Hi guys and girls..... well it's been an interesting time for me of late. I just wanted to come and say thanks to you all for being there to listen and offer advice. You're all so very giving of your time and empathy, and such good people.I finally plucked up the courage to meet with another counsellor... and it was a very good first meeting. I'm very hopeful I will be able to make good progress with this person, and I feel so relieved that I found them. It nearly killed me going, I was in such a state when I arrived, but it was all so very worth it.Things look very promising - I'm still a bit cautious, but feeling very positive about what we can achieve. To the person who offered the tip of printing out what you write on here if you have trouble when feeling under pressure trying to articulate it (might have been AGrace?) - thank you!! It was so beneficial, helped them understand it all straight away, and saved me a lot of grief trying to spit it all out. Best tip ever and I'd now also recommend it to anybody in the same situation and headspace. I also stumbled across an exceptional resource by chance one day (and thank god I did). It's a website which is a massive database of all different types of therapists, with a very comprehensive profile on each of them. It's almost like a resume for each - past work history, life history, philosophies, treatment styles used, cost, transport to location, hours, etc etc. You can make a shortlist of all of the therapists you are considering dealing with, save it, and start from there. It was so unbelievably helpful to me and I cannot believe it's not more widely known, recommended or publicised. Again, thank you all so much.

gnull so I'm hosting a grt together for the first time on my own

Hi everyone I've been suffering with anxiety and depression for most of my life and for some reason I got it into my head to have a smash bros party in just over a week (smash bros is a video game, for the uninitiated) I'm told I need to socialize mo... View more

Hi everyone I've been suffering with anxiety and depression for most of my life and for some reason I got it into my head to have a smash bros party in just over a week (smash bros is a video game, for the uninitiated) I'm told I need to socialize more, but whenever I do I just feel more isolated. It's like I feel more alone the more people are around me. I hope it goes well at anyway. I've also arranged a dnd day for wed (think complicated board game) but I'm worried I won't be able to explain the rules well enough to the new players.

Phebs Anxiety controls my life
  • replies: 1

I feel like my anxiety gets in the way of my everyday life. Like I still go to school and just getting off the bus sends me into a panic attack. I feel like none of my friends understand and push me to do things so that it helps me get over this anxi... View more

I feel like my anxiety gets in the way of my everyday life. Like I still go to school and just getting off the bus sends me into a panic attack. I feel like none of my friends understand and push me to do things so that it helps me get over this anxiety but to be honest it just makes it worse. Things such as talking in a group of people, just walking around near people and simply just sitting in class makes me so nevous and afraid. My family doesnt understand and just tells me to basically get over it. I would love to get over it but I feel like this is going to stick with me forever. Im even to afraid to go and see someone about it to get help. I really dont know what to do.

dougall what am I doing
  • replies: 77

I do not know how to use this site and was looking for someone just to chat with. I suffer from anxiety and have been suicidal quite a few times over the past 2years. I have a husband who left because he did not want to know and kept saying get over ... View more

I do not know how to use this site and was looking for someone just to chat with. I suffer from anxiety and have been suicidal quite a few times over the past 2years. I have a husband who left because he did not want to know and kept saying get over it already. Have a son who copes by hiding in his room playing games. Have no family all abroad. Find myself trying to push myself out of the quick sand and occasionally slipping under. Made a promise to son so have not gone as far as I have wanted to. Had counseling for 12 months. just don't know where or what to do as anxiety stops me from talking to total strangers. Very lonely and confused as to what is expected of me.

simmobc First 'proper' panic attack
  • replies: 2

Hi All, Beautiful day in Adelaide! I had my first proper panic attack today on the bus, an awful experience. I was unlucky enough to not get a seat in a bus which was otherwise quite full. Not sure what brought it on, I was a bit anxious before I got... View more

Hi All, Beautiful day in Adelaide! I had my first proper panic attack today on the bus, an awful experience. I was unlucky enough to not get a seat in a bus which was otherwise quite full. Not sure what brought it on, I was a bit anxious before I got on the bus (not sure why) but I could just feel the feel the panic coming on to the extent that it felt as though my heart was about to jump out of my skin and my breathing was out of control. I felt as though all eyes were on me, they weren't obviously. Anyway, I got off at the next stop and walked the rest of the way to work. Its amazing, as soon as I got off the bus, the panic basically vanished and I was back in control - just goes to show that panic attacks are all mental. I didn't have my earphones today, music is normally my distraction and comfort. I must say, when I say first 'proper' panic attack, it is the first one where I have felt the need to escape. But in any case - bring it on brain, I look forward to riding the next one out and defeating you! Have a great day.

October14 new to the site. need to reach out

Hi everyone. I am new to this site and this is the first time I have ever reached out to an online community. I've been battling on and off with depression and anxiety for years. Today brings me here as I am having panic anxiety attacks again. I have... View more

Hi everyone. I am new to this site and this is the first time I have ever reached out to an online community. I've been battling on and off with depression and anxiety for years. Today brings me here as I am having panic anxiety attacks again. I have been off medication since finding out I am pregnant. It's been ok but the last couple of weeks I have had anxiety attacks which leave me stressed out for days until I bounce back from it. In the last 24 hours, I've been thinking about too many things to the point of overthinking things. I am so worried that I am driving my self even more crazy and trying to reassure myself that I am good person and not everyone has to like me. Up to now I don't even know if my thread makes any sense. I am at work at the moment and struggling to concentrate. Thank you for taking the time to read this. xx

loth57 Going backwards
  • replies: 1

Just want to relate/ask advice on my predicament and see if anyone else out there can offer ideas. Had to take 10 months off work due to anxiety and depression that, like many others, I didn't think was my problem. Did all the psychologist, counselli... View more

Just want to relate/ask advice on my predicament and see if anyone else out there can offer ideas. Had to take 10 months off work due to anxiety and depression that, like many others, I didn't think was my problem. Did all the psychologist, counselling sessions that did help, but got back to work and found work colleagues OK at first, but soon not accepting that I was struggling. Now drifting back to those sleepness nights, worries about how to fit everything in at work, panic about things I didn't have time to do and all the worry that goes with it. Approaches to Managers fall on 'deaf ears' with the usual "can't set a precedent by giving you special treatment" (didn't ask for that, but seems a convenient way out for them to not face having to help) Just wondering whether anyone else has faced this and can offer anything on what they did to cope/manage etc?

Stormgrl101 Feeling awful :( help
  • replies: 4

Today has been such a bad day and i feel awful. Not sure I caught a bug or of if it's the anxiety. Am lying in bed tossing and turning. I can't keep still. I just want to cry, I should eat dinner but my stomach feels queasy. Have a psychologist visit... View more

Today has been such a bad day and i feel awful. Not sure I caught a bug or of if it's the anxiety. Am lying in bed tossing and turning. I can't keep still. I just want to cry, I should eat dinner but my stomach feels queasy. Have a psychologist visit tomorrow. Feels like it's been so long since the last one. I'm trying to distract my mind but I am at boyfriends house spending the night and I don't know what to do to calm down. Trying to concentrate on breathing but it's not working. Wanted to have a nap but can't relax enough. I think it's going to be a long night grrrr. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for reading