Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

Blurry Need reassurance the clouds will pass
  • replies: 5

For those, if any, who have had fuzzy cloudy brain 24/7 does it ever leave? Since my first symptoms of anxiety I have had this brain fog, I feel as though I'm drunk every minute of the day. I was made redundant from a job I loved 6 months ago. Since ... View more

For those, if any, who have had fuzzy cloudy brain 24/7 does it ever leave? Since my first symptoms of anxiety I have had this brain fog, I feel as though I'm drunk every minute of the day. I was made redundant from a job I loved 6 months ago. Since then I had trouble finding work and had money worries. 2 months ago I went for a job interview and threw up before I left the house as I was so nervous, very out of the ordinary for me. I got the job, but 2 days later I woke with heart palpitations, nausea and dizziness. At first I thought it was a deficiency or virus but after many tests everything has come back clear. As these symptoms continued I worked on and off, some days were managable and I could get through work. But I have had the last 2 weeks off as I'm too sick to even drive most days. A week ago I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression (The depression I believe this is a result of being sick the last two months). I started on meds and feel overall I am improving. I have my appetite back and feel I am coping better day to day. But the one thing that has stuck around is the brain fog. Every minute of every day it is there. I feel like my mind races most of the day, but even when relaxed it doesn't ease. I am quite active and feel it's stopping me from getting out. I can't even read a book as I don't have the concentration. Is there anyone who has experienced this and does it ever clear?

themadchatter Psychiatric watch
  • replies: 1

I didn't know which thread to post this on exactly, so I thought I'd post it under the anxiety topic. Just questions I need answering. How does one go about committing themselves for a short amount of time under psychiatric watch and what kinds of th... View more

I didn't know which thread to post this on exactly, so I thought I'd post it under the anxiety topic. Just questions I need answering. How does one go about committing themselves for a short amount of time under psychiatric watch and what kinds of things can a person be dealing with in order to commit themselves?

Gamermum13 New and Anxious
  • replies: 3

Hi everyone, I've turned to these forums today because I feel like my anxiety is at a tipping point and I am drowning under its waves. I've suffered from it most of my life (I'm in my late forties), I'm on medication, I've seen psychologists..but it'... View more

Hi everyone, I've turned to these forums today because I feel like my anxiety is at a tipping point and I am drowning under its waves. I've suffered from it most of my life (I'm in my late forties), I'm on medication, I've seen psychologists..but it's still there, like a tsunami waiting to engulf me on a daily basis. No one at work knows I suffer, as I wear an extrovert's mask which, in itself, is exhausting. I was just wondering if anyone else feels like they're being constantly punished for something because bad things seem to happen on a daily basis? Even when I dare to feel content or happy, it never lasts long and now i'm just too scared to feel thhat way because I know I will be punished for it. Might be the Catholic upbringing I had..I don't know. All I know is today, I wish I could curl up in a corner and avoid the world. I'm sick of pretending to be strong and that I can cope, because I can't and I don't want to. Apologies for the bleak post..probably not the best intro.. Regards, GM13

DesperateForChange Does anyone else struggle with making decisions?
  • replies: 7

Hi everyone, I'm not sure what I hope to achieve by posting this thread. Maybe the reassurance that I'm not the only one going through this? I seem to be incapable of making decisions, no matter how minor they are. I am often paralyzed by a wave of a... View more

Hi everyone, I'm not sure what I hope to achieve by posting this thread. Maybe the reassurance that I'm not the only one going through this? I seem to be incapable of making decisions, no matter how minor they are. I am often paralyzed by a wave of anxiety and fear. I still experience anxiety when I look at a menu, am in a food court, at the supermarket or have to choose whether to buy a Nook, Kindle or just a tablet for reading my books. What's going on here? I just want to be a functioning adult who is capable of coping with the daily challenges that life throws your way and which most people can take in their stride. My life has effectively ground to a halt because I am avoiding situations where I have to make choices. It's unsustainable but I am at a loss over how to change - the fear always wins out. I want to find a psychologist who can help me, but ironically the fear of choosing the 'wrong' psychologist has thwarted my efforts. I've done at least 40 hours of researching psychologists in the past week and am still no closer to deciding. What's going on? What is wrong with me? I feel like something must be defective or malfunctioning in my brain. Is this indecisiveness and procrastination something that most anxious people suffer? Could it be a phobia of making the wrong choices (if that even exists!) Is it OCD? I have read that people with OCD struggle with decision making. However, whilst I can obsess and obsess about my choices, I don't identify with the intrusions or compulsions associated with OCD. Is it a dependent personality disorder? If you can relate to anything that I'm saying, please post. I could use the support. Thank you.

loooodle Not coping

Hi, First time posting in the forums here. I'm really struggling.. I'm suffering from crippling anxiety which is affecting my ability to function. I can't sleep, I'm barely eating and I just don't want to keep feeling like this. I've been diagnosed w... View more

Hi, First time posting in the forums here. I'm really struggling.. I'm suffering from crippling anxiety which is affecting my ability to function. I can't sleep, I'm barely eating and I just don't want to keep feeling like this. I've been diagnosed with anxiety and depression but I've had it for so long that I don't remember what anything else feels like. I've started anti-anxiety and antidepressants earlier this week but circumstances in my life are taking a real toll on me and I'm not coping. My husband and I have a business, which is rapidly going under. We've had a terrible 12-18 months with multiple issues taking its toll on us and I've finally come to breaking point. The business has run out of money, we can't pay ourselves a wage and I'm steadily coming to terms with the fact we are going to lose everything. It's 4:30am and I've been awake since 1am thinking about everything, trying desperately to get some sleep but it never comes, I start to relax and then my body wakes up again and it all starts again. I'm currently writing a list of everything I need to get organised to move out of our rental and back with my parents. I'm sorry if this is a rambling post, I just needed to get it out of me somewhere...

BrokenHearted88 Anxiety and my astrology addiction
  • replies: 3

I struggle with diagnosed GAD which I currently treat with regular psychology sessions and meditation as I wish to avoid taking medications where possible. I was on medication for many years and I felt like I was using it as a band-aid and not truly ... View more

I struggle with diagnosed GAD which I currently treat with regular psychology sessions and meditation as I wish to avoid taking medications where possible. I was on medication for many years and I felt like I was using it as a band-aid and not truly dealing with the issues that caused my anxiety. My anxiety is very high at the moment. I recently experienced a traumatic event and have been on high alert ever since. Many years ago I used to treat my alcohol with substance abuse, both alcohol and drugs, and I have also been known to become quite addicted to eating. Generally speaking, I am very healthy at the moment. I don’t drink much or take any drugs, have a healthy diet & exercise/meditate regularly. But I have recently realized that I have developed an addiction to astrology. I know this may sound silly to some people and not like something you can become addicted to but it has reached a point where it is not only taking over most of my life but also controlling the way I think and act. I use horoscopes, tarot readings, angel card reading & yes/no Q&A apps to decide how I feel, what I should do and what other people must be feeling about me. I am using these in an obsessive way and it is further fueled by my increasing anxiety. I have recently starting seeing someone new and I am trying to hide my anxiety from him so I don’t scare him away and because of that it is spilling out in other ways. This is the first person I have really liked and really want to try a relationship with since I broke up with my ex a year ago and although it is early days I feel like my anxiety will send him running for the hills. Who wants to deal with an anxious obsessive partner right? I use astrology every day. Many times a day. It distracts me from work and I feel embarrassed about it like it’s a dirty little secret I’m hiding. Which probably fuels my anxiety further. I have always been interested in astrology and I have noticed I turn to it during periods of high stress and anxiety to help get me through making the tough decisions and it’s almost like I have someone there telling me I am making the right decisions, because I don’t trust my own feelings. I am not sure what question I am trying to ask here. I suppose has anyone else turned to astrology to help manage their anxious thoughts and how have others stopped in the past? Have you just stopped and it was that easy or does it take time like any other addiction? Thank you in advance for your support

Goldenlight Anxiety in Nurses
  • replies: 8

Hello! Are there any nurses out there who suffer anxiety and if so, what do u find helpful for you? Also have you been successful in overcoming anxiety and continued to work as a nurse?

Hello! Are there any nurses out there who suffer anxiety and if so, what do u find helpful for you? Also have you been successful in overcoming anxiety and continued to work as a nurse?

JulesD Feeling anxious at work
  • replies: 9

I have been doing really well for the past 2 or 3 months. A woman at work has now decided she will ignore me and make it very obvious i do not exist to her. Its making me feel bad, anxious, im not sleeping again and i dont know what to do. I already ... View more

I have been doing really well for the past 2 or 3 months. A woman at work has now decided she will ignore me and make it very obvious i do not exist to her. Its making me feel bad, anxious, im not sleeping again and i dont know what to do. I already spoke to HR twice, i feel like im a whinger. I can feel miself started to spiral down and my days feel sad while im at work. I cant go backwards what can i do

Ukgirl Health Anxiety

I have had GAD. For many years now ,but now it's more health anxiety , At the moment I am having health anxiety over my teeth , Went to dentist because I found a bump on my lower molars and was. Told all ok it was evidently a retromolar pad but I wan... View more

I have had GAD. For many years now ,but now it's more health anxiety , At the moment I am having health anxiety over my teeth , Went to dentist because I found a bump on my lower molars and was. Told all ok it was evidently a retromolar pad but I wanted X-ray done. Which still showed nothing , then I got another opinion from another dentist who said all ok but I can't help feeling it's something worse and I am just freaking out over it Just keep checking all the time , making myself more worried , I hate this anxiety anyone else have similar problems ,that can share please

meatloaf Can't stop crying
  • replies: 1

Just a rant to get it out...I literally cannot stop crying anything starts me off ....probably the pressure of workcover and constantly being sent to IME's ....feels like it will never end....hopefully tomorrow will be better

Just a rant to get it out...I literally cannot stop crying anything starts me off ....probably the pressure of workcover and constantly being sent to IME's ....feels like it will never end....hopefully tomorrow will be better