Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Peter8901 18 year old feeling like I'm in the pits of despair
  • replies: 2

Hello, My name is Peter, the reason why I'm here is because I feel like im at the last thread of the rope. Most days I feel depressed, barely able to find motivation to get out of bed and I have a severe case of Misanthropy. I feel consumed by hatred... View more

Hello, My name is Peter, the reason why I'm here is because I feel like im at the last thread of the rope. Most days I feel depressed, barely able to find motivation to get out of bed and I have a severe case of Misanthropy. I feel consumed by hatred for humanity. I despise most humans I see them as greedy, self serving, corrupt, unreliable lot. I think their grotesque. I rarely leave the house, most times lately I leave the house once a week since I graduated highschool. I don't know what to do anymore. I am very religious and God does give me comfort and praying is one of the only times I get a sense of peace. I also tend to overthink everything and I feel physically anxious when I do so.

Holly18 Anxiety?
  • replies: 1

I am 17 years old in year 12. All my life I've been quite a shy kid, I'm very introverted as well. For a couple years now though, since around year 9 (2016) I have had these feelings that I'm unsure of as to call them anxiety or not. I often feel as ... View more

I am 17 years old in year 12. All my life I've been quite a shy kid, I'm very introverted as well. For a couple years now though, since around year 9 (2016) I have had these feelings that I'm unsure of as to call them anxiety or not. I often feel as though people are judging me or making fun of me. Whether I am at school, a shopping centre, a restaurant or even work, I feel like people are watching me and I seem to be on guard at all times in public. I also worry about a lot of things, most things even if they are weeks away e.g. a family BBQ. I worry a lot about being on time to things like work, school and social events. For example just the other week I slept through my alarm and when I woke up and realised I burst into my parents room freaking out about being late to school and when they tried to tell me it didn't matter and I'd get there on time and my peers wouldn't judge me if I was late, I became a bit irritable and a bit snappy. I later felt embarrassed about the way I had reacted (I did arrive on time to school). Before I have a conversation with someone I will often rehearse what I am going to say and after conversations I sometimes dwell on what I have said and what the person I was talking to probably thought of my comment. I often worry about going into shops such as when I have to go to get dinner by myself from a takeaway shop or something, I'm not 100% sure what it is that worries me about this but I try my best to avoid having to do it. Sometimes before social events such as dinners or sleepovers or parties I get stomach pains and feel sick. I don't think I've ever had a panic attack and I don't suffer from depression and have never ever had any suicidal thoughts. I don't know if this is me overreacting, but I'm sick of working about people judging me even though I know they most likely aren't.

LaurenKMJ Newbie

Hi, I'm Lauren. I'm 56, single, live outside of Perth. I'm stressed, anxious, depressed, nervous most of the time, though I appear to be confident. I work in retail, and am a support worker. Sometimes I have clients with serious mental illness, which... View more

Hi, I'm Lauren. I'm 56, single, live outside of Perth. I'm stressed, anxious, depressed, nervous most of the time, though I appear to be confident. I work in retail, and am a support worker. Sometimes I have clients with serious mental illness, which makes me feel like a fraud, but I'm pretty good at working on other people's issues. Anyway.....that's me.

Schmetterlingen Beginning the mental health journey

Hi, I am Lisa. I am a 40 something year old mum of Ms 12 and Mr 15. We have begun our Mental health journey with My15 with sincere gratitude to his school and those he confides in. As a mum I'm finding loads of help in many forms for the patient, but... View more

Hi, I am Lisa. I am a 40 something year old mum of Ms 12 and Mr 15. We have begun our Mental health journey with My15 with sincere gratitude to his school and those he confides in. As a mum I'm finding loads of help in many forms for the patient, but very little for the parent/guardian. We have our first meeting with CAMHS next Tuesday so I'm hopeful that will give me some guidance, but in the meantime i struggle to start a conversation with him. Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself, I will peruse the threads for tips for us. Thank you for making this platform easily accessible.

Holly_the_cat_1989 Just signed up

Hello everyone, Im 29, male and just moved to Melbourne. My best friend is really struggling with multiple setbacks and I want to do everything I can to be there for her, so hopefully I can get a few ideas and go from there. Warm regards, JB

Hello everyone, Im 29, male and just moved to Melbourne. My best friend is really struggling with multiple setbacks and I want to do everything I can to be there for her, so hopefully I can get a few ideas and go from there. Warm regards, JB

Mavis96 Newbie

Hi i can’t talk to anyone about some things so this is a way to help myself. I am stuck right now and feel pretty bad. Can’t sleep, and feel like I’m a bad person and I am constantly stuffing up.

Hi i can’t talk to anyone about some things so this is a way to help myself. I am stuck right now and feel pretty bad. Can’t sleep, and feel like I’m a bad person and I am constantly stuffing up.

Magpie_Mia Struggling with anxiety and depression

Hi everyone. I am a woman with adult children currently struggling with anxiety and depression. I feel very unsure of myself and my ability to cope with the situation I currently find myself in. I have had these conditions before, and was able to get... View more

Hi everyone. I am a woman with adult children currently struggling with anxiety and depression. I feel very unsure of myself and my ability to cope with the situation I currently find myself in. I have had these conditions before, and was able to get better but this time around am only on medication prescribed by my gp. In the past I have been under the care of a psychiatrist and psychologist but have moved to the country and these options are not available to me here. Does anyone know of any strategies I could use to help me stop catastrophising and worrying about the future. I am not sleeping well either, and find this very draining. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

banana3305 hi I guess

So I'm 14 and living in a combined family with my dad, stepmum and her kids. I'm physically larger than them (they're all underweight) and I feel isolated and like nobody in that house really cares. I'm called offensive words when I stuff up and I'm ... View more

So I'm 14 and living in a combined family with my dad, stepmum and her kids. I'm physically larger than them (they're all underweight) and I feel isolated and like nobody in that house really cares. I'm called offensive words when I stuff up and I'm treated differently to my stepsiblings. My dad says he's teaching me to function, but I'm always doing something wrong and I just feel like such a failure all the time. I only moved into this environment two years ago and I'm finding it very hard to adjust. My dad constantly tells me he's "done" with me and my behaviour, even though I always try to be respectful and polite, and it came to a climax on Monday when he told me to pack my bags. I'm safe at the moment, and living with an old family friend, but I have to go back at the end of this week due to my schooling. I'm trying to be the perfect child that they want but it's difficult, especially with the inconsistencies in treatment between my stepsiblings and I. I've gone along with whatever they've said for over two years now, but recently, as they tighten the restraints because of perceived "disrespect" eg, I forget to lock a door, take too long cleaning, don't clean something properly, I'm finding it harder and harder to meekly obey, and I admit I've lost my temper a few times recently, which doesn't help my case. I'm lost as to how to proceed and any advice is welcome and greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Zahvia Just new and here to say hi and ask a few qs ☺

Hey I'm Z (Atleast thats what people call me when they cant say my name ) I grew up in a very religious setting and being gay this wasnt the easiest for me, ive lost alot of family and friends and recently went through a "breakup" ( we are still very... View more

Hey I'm Z (Atleast thats what people call me when they cant say my name ) I grew up in a very religious setting and being gay this wasnt the easiest for me, ive lost alot of family and friends and recently went through a "breakup" ( we are still very close we just have to find ourselves first) anyways ive been extremely lonely but im finally out of that really dark space but i just want to know how yall keep yourselves busy/ entertained (on a low budget tho cause i own an anxious cat who pees everywhere and costs me a bunch) I kinda just lurk in these forums cause im too scared to post but i really want to improve myself

abbi2106 I just want out

Hello, my name is Abbi. I’m 17 years old and I have finally reached a point where I don’t want to deal with life anymore. I have struggled with mental health issues a bit in the past but I was able to overcome them and put it behind me. However, this... View more

Hello, my name is Abbi. I’m 17 years old and I have finally reached a point where I don’t want to deal with life anymore. I have struggled with mental health issues a bit in the past but I was able to overcome them and put it behind me. However, this year has been incredibly difficult with keeping the dark thoughts at bay. I am unable to sleep without a constant noise playing (like a fan) as I find it distracts my mind. I struggle to get out of bed in the morning. I can’t focus in school. For all I my life I have been governed by my parents as I am under 18. I hate not being able to have control over my own life and have decisions made for me. I am not trying to be rebellious or anything like that, I just simply want to be in charge of my own life. Something that I love to do is drive. It is the only time when I feel in control. Unfortunately, my parents don’t understand just how much it means to me and will take away the opportunity when it just happens to be at the time I need it most. It is incredibly difficult for me to sit in the car with my sister driving, especially because she is a new driver and is very irresponsible and speeds all the time. Yet that is what I am forced to do and I don’t have any input whatsoever. Everybody thinks I’m okay because I put on a happy facade and smile through the pain. I don’t want to tell anyone about what I’m dealing with for fear they won’t take me seriously. Anyway, I’m sorry for this vent but I just needed to tell someone...even if it’s only on a website