Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Raffaela Just Diagnosed
  • replies: 2

I can't believe it. I contracted chicken pox as an adult and recently had a bad (bad, as in, just like chicken pox) bout of shingles. Afterwards I couldn't walk - so back on the walking stick again after being so active, fit and healthy from a fibrom... View more

I can't believe it. I contracted chicken pox as an adult and recently had a bad (bad, as in, just like chicken pox) bout of shingles. Afterwards I couldn't walk - so back on the walking stick again after being so active, fit and healthy from a fibromyalgia diagnosis in 2007. I worked so hard to get my life back after fibro - and now, this is something else again. I can testify that these conditions present completely differently - but is there anybody out there who has both, like me? I can't believe it.

EnchiladaPlatter Hello all - new user here

Hello everyone! I feel very happy to have found this site and to have briefly read some of the posts so far. I hope to post here to share my experiences and help other people with what I've learned along my journey so far. I have much experience with... View more

Hello everyone! I feel very happy to have found this site and to have briefly read some of the posts so far. I hope to post here to share my experiences and help other people with what I've learned along my journey so far. I have much experience with growing up in a dysfunctional family, my mother trying to force me on medication as a teenager, depersonalization, anxiety, depression, HPPD, and more. I think I can heal myself and benefit some people by posting my thoughts on other people's stories. I'll start with a short introduction which I will probably update later. Right now I'm a man in my 30s who has moved very far from home and completely broken contact with my parents for the first time in my life (for an extended period). I have had many nightmares, panic attacks, tightness in my whole body, and disassociation very intensely these first few months (especially with Christmas coming up). One of my mother's go-to patterns of abuse is when she is jealous/upset/or feeling like I might abandon her she'll call me when we're both alone and tear into me like a monster. She will attack every wound, use tears and shouting, try to inflict maximum guilt, and jump from topic to topic when I try to calmly defend myself. It sounds crazy, but she sounds possessed by a demon. Then like clockwork she runs to my dad (whom she completely controls) like a wounded victim and gets him to come after me. Deep down he knows she is putting on a show. Even after I can finally convince him that its all lies he immediately shifts to "well what do you want me to do? your mother loves you so much and you want to hold onto this forever". If we could just once and for all address this pattern of abuse I would be so happy to move on. Instead I resent him for never standing up for me and basically using me as a shield because if she's mad at me he doesn't have to deal with it. A year prior to this last episode my mother and I went to therapy where she admitted to doing this for the first time and also admitted to some lies that she kept up for over a decade. Lies that she tried so hard to gaslight me on even though they happened right in front of me. So I know she is aware of what she's doing. I told her that all of these times I've wanted to break contact with her, but didn't because I was trying to make things right. I said if she goes back to it I will break contact next time. I warned them many times, but I left and they will never acknowledge or apologize for a single thing

Lizred I am new to this site, I am really hoping it will be a big help.

Good morning! I am new here but I have read through some posts and really connected with some of them and I have gone to post a few times but never followed through. My main goal is connecting with others around me who are going through the same thin... View more

Good morning! I am new here but I have read through some posts and really connected with some of them and I have gone to post a few times but never followed through. My main goal is connecting with others around me who are going through the same things, my doctor thought finding a forum or a group I could chat with would help with my recovery. So here is a little something about myself -I am married to a pretty amazing man, we have been together for 8 yrs and married 7 yrs, I had 6 children when we met and had 2 children together. I myself have gotten back into studying graphic design and half way through that. I am a stay at home mum at this point and hoping I can get back into some type of job next year after I finish my studies. A few months ago I was diagnosed with BD1 (Bipolar Disorder 1) Rapid cycling, PTSD and some tendencies of other things. I have heard about Bipolar and PTSD before as I had been told a few time over the years that I should see someone for it and be treated for it but I had always ignored this information, now I look back I realise this was stupid of me to ignore but here I am. Growing up I never thought that I was the problem, I always thought it was everyone else, I was higher then life and wanted to enjoy everything all at once and everyone wanted to hold me down, there were the rare times I was so low that I really struggled to be involved with life, there were other times I could not explain why I did things or wanted to do things. I always put it back down to the way I grew up and because life was not easy. I had a bad childhood and up bringing so I just assumed my behaviour, changes and feeling were a product of a stressful situations. Anyway here I am things got so out of control the last 2yrs and I was forced to get help. I am now on medication that is working for me though I struggle every day with taking it and understanding the changes. I struggle with the lack of energy that is a major change to my system. There is much more I have to learn and struggle through, I feel like just to stay normal I have to stay sedated. I don't know its a lot of changes to adapt too and I am hoping that with this site and having other that hopefully understand what I am going through will help me with some answers or ways to get through everyday life. I have so many questions and things to say but all in good time I suppose.

Trsrv Hey I'm new too

So seen as though I dont have a girl as a friend I feel the need to be here. I have 3 children. Eldest a teen has Aspergers. My middle a tween is nurotypical then desided to have a baby with my new partner so shes 15months and since she was 2weeks iv... View more

So seen as though I dont have a girl as a friend I feel the need to be here. I have 3 children. Eldest a teen has Aspergers. My middle a tween is nurotypical then desided to have a baby with my new partner so shes 15months and since she was 2weeks ive been having panic attacks. Now im on meds. I just want a friend who I can talk to and just whinge too. But i dont.

boomashoom Hello Everyone
  • replies: 4

Hi. I am a guy who has suffered from depression for most of my adult life. I had a 'bout' of severe anxiety when younger also, however I managed to overcome the panic attacks and learnt how to self manage. I have always felt in control of my depressi... View more

Hi. I am a guy who has suffered from depression for most of my adult life. I had a 'bout' of severe anxiety when younger also, however I managed to overcome the panic attacks and learnt how to self manage. I have always felt in control of my depression and anxiety since then, however recently I have been sanctioned for a breach of my work conditions and feel that I may lose my job as a result. This would be devastating to me as I am a single man in his 50s who has a degree only in the field I work in and I have a large mortgage and many other expenses. Losing my job in the current climate would most likely lead to my losing everything I have. I feel like I need to reach out and seek some support because the past week or so has been extremely distressing for me. I have not had a panic attack, however I feel as though I have come close on a few occasions. I have spoken to my doctor and he has given me some medication which I will only take when I really need it, however I constantly have that gnawing ache in the pit of my stomach and find it hard to see a positive future. Thankfully, I have a wonderful woman in my life who is trying to be supportive, however I feel this is also difficult for her as she has some problems of her own and we have only been together for a relatively short time. Talking with her helps but it's not always the best thing to do given she has her own problems which she also sees as being difficult to manage. So, whilst trying to stay buoyant, I find myself posting here for support and to try to settle myself down. I thank all those who have read this far and look forward to being a part of this community.

kiga283 hello

hi there. i'm new here and i dont really know my way around the site. my sister and i have both had our stuggles with anxiety and more recently, depression. Im here to get advice, give advice and learn more about mental health in this community

hi there. i'm new here and i dont really know my way around the site. my sister and i have both had our stuggles with anxiety and more recently, depression. Im here to get advice, give advice and learn more about mental health in this community

Jellyfish_02 Too much stress, don’t know what to do
  • replies: 3

I am reaching out as I just can’t get out of a rut and I don’t know what to do. I am happily married with 2 lovely children. 18 months ago we moved interstate for my work as we wanted a change. The kids have adjusted well and are happy. My husband ha... View more

I am reaching out as I just can’t get out of a rut and I don’t know what to do. I am happily married with 2 lovely children. 18 months ago we moved interstate for my work as we wanted a change. The kids have adjusted well and are happy. My husband has not been able to find a full time job, has struggled to make new friends and now has depression. My job pays reasonably well but is very stressful and requires me to travel a lot which I don’t really enjoy as I miss my kids and find it too exhausting. This has also meant that I haven’t made many new friends yet either. Then six months ago I had a cancer scare. Fortunately they were able to cut it all out so I am considered ‘no evidence of disease ‘ so I guess I should feel grateful it was not worse. But I now have a massive scar, have lost some movement and have chronic pain. Because of the 1 in 3 chance of recurrence, I signed on a clinical trial of drugs that means that I have to travel interstate every month. So more travel on top of my travel for work. After a long, stressful year I am just exhausted and a bit of a mess. I cry a lot and wish I could be stronger. I wish I had a better quality of life. Today I saw my shrink and she commented that I had made no progress since she started seeing me and I think I agree. She suggested that I need to reassess my priorities and make some changes. I know that I am miserable but I don’t know what to do. I am frustrated with my hubby because he hasn’t found work because I could drop back my hours or maybe quit if he had a job. I have decided to take some time off to spend with the kids and hubby, hopefully I will get some rest and try to have a bit of fun too. I would like to quit my stressful job but don’t feel like I can because we will go into debt and I don’t want to go backwards. I know some people talk about epiphanies when they get cancer but I am shit scared about it coming back and can’t seem to crawl out of this hole. Any advice?

Ange64 Newbie
  • replies: 1

Hello I Have been suffering from Anxiety for quite some years now, thing came to ahead when after 8 years in my Job management decided I was "ready to go" so with a bit of a push I left and a little better for it, however whilst I thought that it was... View more

Hello I Have been suffering from Anxiety for quite some years now, thing came to ahead when after 8 years in my Job management decided I was "ready to go" so with a bit of a push I left and a little better for it, however whilst I thought that it was the job causing the anxiety I am now finding that it comes and goes regularly for no apparant reason. I struggle to understand why someone who appears to have everything, has anything to complain about or feel sad about but here I am? I am not sure if anyone else has this feeling that if you shop or buy things you will feel better? thanks in advance

I_need_a_name So overwhelmed

Hi, I'm overwhelmed all the time. I work 50+ hours a week and own part of the business I work for. It's a busy, high stress environment with 20+ employees and my office often feels like an airport with a million people flying in and out all day. My h... View more

Hi, I'm overwhelmed all the time. I work 50+ hours a week and own part of the business I work for. It's a busy, high stress environment with 20+ employees and my office often feels like an airport with a million people flying in and out all day. My husband also works similar hours in a management role. We have a 3 year old. We both have hoarding tendencies, mine are worse. I feel like every minute of every day, the purpose of my life is to do chores/work for someone else. I have been trying to exercise more regularly to see if that will help with my mental health. After about 6 months of exercising 4-6 times a week I've seen no change in my physical state which is deflating, it's fractionally helped my mental health. I read all the articles etc about overwhelm and how to overcome it and I do all the things. I get up early, I make lists, I manage my time, I prioritise. I feel like i know how to do this thing called life, on paper, but still it always feels like I'm just treading water and barely surviving. Before we had our daughter we would renovate our house. Every weekend would be spent progressively making our lives better. Now, the house is falling apart around us and we barely have time to mow the lawn or throw the washing on. Our gutters desperately need replacing, the house is full of dust. We have entire rooms that we can't use because we've put stuff in there to "deal with later" but later never comes. Our garage is overflowing with junk, we literally have pathways through some of the rooms in our house. I used to be a very creative person, I sew, I make cards, I do all sorts of crafty things but I no longer get the time. I have an entire craft room, which i know I'm very lucky to have, but presently it's full of half done projects, stuff everywhere, looks like a bomb has hit it. Every weekend is spent with one of us keeping our daughter occupied (and that's hard, she's not easily occupied) while the other does chores. I wake up, I exercise, I go to work for 11hours, I cook dinner, clean up, bath kid, story, 20mins of TV or book and then go to bed. Every day. I have very little joy, and I feel like it's not because I'm depressed, it's because I don't even have time to do the bare minimum for my work and my family, let alone make progress on the clutter or have any sort of alone/happy time for myself. I'm exhausted and feel like I'm barely keeping my head above water. I would love to have someone to call when i feel like this but I don't. : (

kalevsspinach Some advice

Hi, I am a single 28 year old male . I need some advice with moving forward. I don't like counsellors, its like talking to family and friends, I feel completely detached and sometimes they make it worse. I haven't been diagnosed with anything. I am a... View more

Hi, I am a single 28 year old male . I need some advice with moving forward. I don't like counsellors, its like talking to family and friends, I feel completely detached and sometimes they make it worse. I haven't been diagnosed with anything. I am a lonely person. I have tried to be less lonely but it doesn't happen. I have distant friends who I hear from but never hang out with. When we do there is very little connection. It's me. I struggle to start any more chats and I can't keep talking about my issues. No one wants to hear it. I don't have any self respect. I have cancer and I couldn't care less. I have no self worth or identity. I want someone to find value in me. That won't never going to happen. I probably do have value but I'm blind to it. I work as a professional but I come home and feel empty. Its not a permanent job and that's out of choice. Yep I have choice in the matter. I don't sacrifice my life for work. I also have no life. I have tried the lonely way of life, doing things for myself and with myself and it was (or I am) dull. I tried committing to a job or way of life, and it bores me. I just find myself turning to vices ( I have no real vices at the moment but I can see why people want to soothe/dull the significant suffering). I've tried travelling for months on end and I get bored. Sometimes, I feel I am just waiting for death. Every time I try to be alive it cycles around to this same feeling I have posting here. Emptiness. I am giving up. Just going home every day, a vague hope that something would consume me. Nothing positive and nothing negative. Just is. Yet it tends to sway to this mood. It strikes me odd that I wanted so much as a child with so much hope, ambition and resilience that now I can't move past anything. I would blame society but I just can't be bothered. It's me. I try to rekindle that hope in an activity. It fizzles out. I'm always stuck. The same cycle. Does anyone have any steps (small incremental steps) to helping me gain some direction, self-discipline, self-respect and self-worth? Breaking a cycle (step-by-step)? How do I find that direction in life? Just small slow steps, even small tasks or activities, to get better at this. Advice to see a counsellor would be ineffective - I have tried that avenue and didn't find it helpful. I just want to listen and be open to your advice on small incremental steps (and life advice). I have no expectation and cannot be disappointed by your response. Thanks for reading.