Treatments, health professionals and therapies

Information on a range of different areas, including managing relationships with GPs and psychologists, and finding the right services for you.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

All discussions

Suzbj Finding a Doctor
  • replies: 3

Find a good Doctor. I have had some bad experiences with doctors over the years and have had a few wonderful doctors that have been long term. My last wonderful doctor left the area about three months ago and I have seen three doctors since, leaving ... View more

Find a good Doctor. I have had some bad experiences with doctors over the years and have had a few wonderful doctors that have been long term. My last wonderful doctor left the area about three months ago and I have seen three doctors since, leaving in tears. While it is recommended to see your GP re depression and/or mental health. Here is what I have to say about that. Be careful. A doctor is not automatically going to be informed, understanding or empathetic to something that isn’t a ‘physical’ illness. So pick your GP carefully. If you are put down, belittled or humiliated, understand it is their lack of knowledge, understanding and education – it is not a fault of yours. Depression is real and it does have biological foundations just like any other illness. I also have Type 2 diabetes and have never been put down for that. I drove home today crying my eyes out from the utter humiliation of this last third doctor I checked out today. I needed to shake off that humiliation and emailed web chat on Beyond Blue which was sensational and really made me buck up and dust myself off. The point is this: Doctors aren’t Gods. They are people. They too have their lived experiences. They too have their weaknesses and strengths. Being a doctor doesn’t necessarily mean having the expertise or training to be empathetic, understanding or resourceful. So if you don’t have a good experience with your doctor,find another doctor, try, try again until you find someone you gel with and trust and is on the same page. But whatever you do, don’t blame yourself or see yourself as ‘less than’. I’m getting pretty good at not caring what people think. I truly mostly don’t care what people think these days. I think... “That’s THEIR problem. And they are entitled to their opinion. But it has nothing to do with me and I am not taking it on board.” I was disappointed with myself today because “I took the doctor’s personal opinion on board.” “Why did I do that?” I asked myself, crying all the way home. “Because somehow I feel vulnerable when I go to a doctor.” I forgot, they are just people too. I’m still searching for a doctor and I will find the right one for me eventually. Cheers Suz xx

Donkion Not sure how to cope or how to fix this...
  • replies: 2

So, I just started getting strong anxiety about a year or so ago. I started having panic attacks to the extent where I'd have to go to hospital because no one really knew what was going on (including me for that matter). Finally we started realising ... View more

So, I just started getting strong anxiety about a year or so ago. I started having panic attacks to the extent where I'd have to go to hospital because no one really knew what was going on (including me for that matter). Finally we started realising it was anxiety/panic attacks. I wish I could say why I get them or why it started, but it just kind of happens randomly. When it happens I get strong tremors, prolonged vision, I can't breath, chest pains and everything goes numb... That's when the depression pops in, when everything is so painful that I just can't feel anything physically because the mental pain is so strong. At the moment I'm on medication for it. I can't say it's completely stopped everything, but it's definitely stopped the anxiety attacks from happening for no reason and I am very open to trying new ways to stop the anxiety as it is getting a lot worse. I'm trying super hard to get this problem sorted, I guess I'm lucky in a way that I have such a stubborn personality... I have a headspace counselling appointment booked in for January (They were booked out until then!), I have a doctors appointment in two weeks and he will be organising counselling when I go to that appointment. I am also aware of the online support groups/chats and always turn to them for help when I need it (Which is why I'm here i guess). My problem at the moment is, I don't know what to do in the mean time... I'm having more and more anxiety attacks and just feeling anxious about nothing i guess. But i seem to just get it all the time. I know I'm a strong person, but it's all getting too much... It's so hard to wait for help. I'm not getting any sleep, my eating habits are either too much or nothing (simply because I'm comfort eating or thinking too much to eat) and I', too exhausted to do anything. I'm lucky I have a stress-free job and I love my job at that, but I can't seem to do everyday life things and sleep is practically impossible... I don't know what to do in the meantime to help myself get over these small problems. Especially the sleep... and I'm ranting again... i get like that sometimes Any help would be appriciated as this is all new to me... I'm in a terribley good mood at the moment (which is always when i tend to seek help), but I know soon I probably won't be, but reading about your personal experiences and help will make me feel a bit better

tempburger Should it matter whether you see a [M]ale or Female psychologist?
  • replies: 1

I'm just assuming I would connect better with a male counsellor, but I am open to being talked out of it. It almost makes me wish I could have two. I guess you just go with what makes you feel more comfortable?

I'm just assuming I would connect better with a male counsellor, but I am open to being talked out of it. It almost makes me wish I could have two. I guess you just go with what makes you feel more comfortable?

IHI Sincere help

First time I saw a doctor he said that I had Manic Depression. He put me on antidepressants,told me to take that for 2 years but to go back & see him after 6 months. After 6 months I took myself off the tablets as I hated them. Never went back to see... View more

First time I saw a doctor he said that I had Manic Depression. He put me on antidepressants,told me to take that for 2 years but to go back & see him after 6 months. After 6 months I took myself off the tablets as I hated them. Never went back to see the doctor. I decided that he didn't care & he just gave me drugs to make me go away. Many years later I went to see another doctor as I had gotten worse over time & needed help. This time I had reoccuring depression due to a long distance relationship. No mention of the Manic Depression the other doctor talked about years beforehand. Again I was prescribed drugs, different ones this time, but only for 6 months told me to go back after 1 month. I thought 'this is a bit better'. The tablets were much better than the other ones too. Had some friend trouble in the mean time & she told me about Mental Health Plans. Went back to see the doctor to ask him about it. Honestly he didn't seem happy that I asked him about it at all. He seemed very reluctant to give me a referal.I don't know how to find someone who actually wants to help me. I've been dragging out getting help for years because I feel like the only help I'm going to get is drugs. I don't want to take antidepressants for the rest of my life. I want to get better on my own. But how my life is at the moment I've realised that I can't do it on my own. But when I seek help I find someone who just doesn't care.Please help me find someone who can assist me to get better. I want to find out what is wrong with me & make up a plan

r_pratt94 Seeking Treatment

Hi everyone, I have just had the biggest panic/anxiety attack I've had and I've also been suffering with depression for years... I think it's finally time to do something about it. I'm absolutely terrified of going to see someone about it. I have onl... View more

Hi everyone, I have just had the biggest panic/anxiety attack I've had and I've also been suffering with depression for years... I think it's finally time to do something about it. I'm absolutely terrified of going to see someone about it. I have only spoken to my boyfriend about how I'm feeling but I feel he doesn't understand. I don't know how to tell my family that I would be seeking treatment as I feel like they would flip out. I don't know how to go about talking to a professional as anytime I even think about how I'm feeling I start crying, let alone trying to talk to someone about it. Can someone please help me? How did your first times go? What can I do to feel less nervous about it? Thank you

Shock Do therapists that DON'T follow duty of care exist?
  • replies: 3

I am getting really desperate. I really need to talk to someone and probably soon. However, I just cant talk to anyone who has to abide by 'duty of care' laws. Every time they do they though me in the pysch ward. I want to talk and resolve my issues,... View more

I am getting really desperate. I really need to talk to someone and probably soon. However, I just cant talk to anyone who has to abide by 'duty of care' laws. Every time they do they though me in the pysch ward. I want to talk and resolve my issues, not be treated like human garbage. Does anyone know of anywhere where they dont do this? (I dont mean to sound rude but please no one say "you just have to keep trying therapists untill you connect with one". That just doesnt work for me. They are still bound by duty of care and still lie). Many thanks in advance!

verysadlady Anti Depressant Advice and Experiences
  • replies: 8

Hello there. Can I ask if anyone has experience with SSRI antidepressantsMy depressed fiance started taking the 2.5 weeks ago, and while I know side effects are normal, the most worrying one is that he is emotionless. Has anyone experienced this befo... View more

Hello there. Can I ask if anyone has experience with SSRI antidepressantsMy depressed fiance started taking the 2.5 weeks ago, and while I know side effects are normal, the most worrying one is that he is emotionless. Has anyone experienced this before? Does he need to change drug? Or will it go away?Thank you for any advice...him being completely emotionless is obviously not helping life!

geronimo34 I need professional help, but cannot afford it..?
  • replies: 2

What are my options? Im working at the moment but only part time hours, I've applied to go to tafe this semester so can only see my income shrinking soon. I know that I do need more help than free counsellors can give me or counsellors placed at plac... View more

What are my options? Im working at the moment but only part time hours, I've applied to go to tafe this semester so can only see my income shrinking soon. I know that I do need more help than free counsellors can give me or counsellors placed at places of work/education.I've probably needed to start therapy a few years ago now but just haven't. I'm hesitant to ask money from my Mum, my sister had to go through a couple years of therapy, my brother is currently still living at home due to psychological issues and I know if i tell her that I too need help, she will be absolutely gutted and feel as though she has failed all of her children (My parents didn't raise us very well, though they tried there were obvious shortcomings). I guess essentially I'm looking for absolutely anything I can get from the government whether it be free/cheap young adult mental health programs, anything at all I can get from Centrelink etc, I am at a loss where to start.

Leaf GP - preparing mental health plan
  • replies: 4

Hope it is ok to post this here, not sure which section to put it in. I went to a gp today about getting help for mental issues. I booked a double, had the mental health stuff and 2 other things to see her about (one was a physio referral for RSI whi... View more

Hope it is ok to post this here, not sure which section to put it in. I went to a gp today about getting help for mental issues. I booked a double, had the mental health stuff and 2 other things to see her about (one was a physio referral for RSI which she'd been preparing from my previous visit 2 wks ago so it was really just some details/printing). **Sorry this is long, I didn't mean for it to be - thanks for reading if you do - broke it up as too long to post as one post** As background, I was diagnosed (couple of yrs ago, but my guess is that it's been going on quite some time longer - I am just stubborn/avoidant of docs) with depression/anxiety/panic attacks (from a doctor I actually did trust - a gp specializing in mental health who I saw when I went to a Headspace place). When I brought up (with this new doc today) that I felt it was all getting out of hand again and wanted to see someone again she was ok with me requesting a mental health care plan and referral to a bulkbilling psych. But I felt she didn't really discuss things with me properly... she was polite and professional but also said that it would take her at least an hour 'of her own time' to do the plan (I felt bad, but then I thought hang on and reminded her that at my previous visit 2 wks ago, I had specifically booked a double to have more time to discuss this but they gave me a normal short appt instead - I didn't even end up bringing up the mental stuff then). I was a bit taken aback by that comment as of the 2 MHCPs I've had done previously (one of which I never acted on), they were pretty much done right there and then within 10 min (though admittedly minimal detail), and also - isn't that what docs are meant to do? Maybe I am just not up with this stuff.

bungle Wholistic G.P.
  • replies: 6

Hi all, After being diagnosed with O.C.D. and Bi-Polar by two G.P and a useless psychologist I found a Wholistic G.P. who helped me a lot. Mind you, they don't come cheap. Any one else had experiences with Wholsitic G.P and care to share any thoughts... View more

Hi all, After being diagnosed with O.C.D. and Bi-Polar by two G.P and a useless psychologist I found a Wholistic G.P. who helped me a lot. Mind you, they don't come cheap. Any one else had experiences with Wholsitic G.P and care to share any thoughts?