FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My mother is experiencing extreme nausea

jennyr
Community Member
My mother has had depression and anxiety for the past year. With this she is experiencing extreme nausea. I would like to know of others who have also had nausea with their depression and anxiety and what steps they did to overcome this.  At present my mother sits in her chair at home and has no light at the end of the tunnel. She is on depressant medication but it does not seem to help with this. I , her daughter, don't know what I can do to help or direct her in a direction that will provide some quality to her life and help her through this.
15 Replies 15

Elly
Community Member

Hi, Jenny,

I've recently been going through something similar. Having the anxiety is bad enough, but when you add nausea on top, it makes it basically impossible to do anything. My issue is that I also react badly to most medications, which makes it so frustrating. 

The most effective thing I've found so far is peppermints and fresh air. It seems really simple and obvious, and I'm sure it's one of those things that everyone hears, but just getting a couple of hours of sunlight and a nice breeze outside always settles my stomach. Also just finding something to distract you. I took up a little hobby of painting crockery. It seems dumb to my friends, but just having that little bit of your world to focus on makes you forget about how you're physically feeling.

Hope this can be some help, but you most definitely have my support and understanding. Family can be so critical in this situation, and your mother is very lucky to have your support. 

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi jennyr,

I think it might be a good idea for your mum to go back to the GP and revisit the treatment she's on.  Not sure whether the nausea is caused by the meds or by the anxiety itself, but regardless, it doesn't sound like her quality of life is great at the moment and it can be better.

You can go along with her as well, with her support, to make sure the GP gets to hear everything that's been going on.

My ex-partner would often accompany me to medical appointments so the doc could get a full picture of what had been going on.

best
CB

Online Community Manager

jennyr
Community Member
Thankyou for your response. It is comforting to know that nausea is actually a part of anxiety.  The doctors have told us that the nausea is a part of the anxiety but to hear if from another person confirms this for us. We, my farther and I, have not experienced anxiety and sometimes it becomes hard to understand it all. Do you take any medication for the anxiety/nausea? Mum has tried lots but nothing seems to work. She was placed on an anxiety medication but it didn't agree with her so the GP took her off this. She is currently on three others for the depression but it doesn't seem to help with the nausea or anxiety.  It is great to hear that you are understanding and adapting with the nausea, something my mum has yet to do.  Take Care.

jennyr
Community Member

Thankyou for responding. My mother is working with the GP about the issue but I feel that he is trying to sort other issues out which is great but isn't really addressing the anxiety issue. He feels at the moment mum needs to have a break from the psychiatrist, he is trying to see if the nausea is present because of the medication that she is on. My mother had a stroke three years ago and has never been well since. She has just had a pacemaker inserted but that didn't help with the nausea. She is anxious because of this and needs time to adjust to this and believe that her heart is actually ok now.

I have thought of going to the GP and feel that this could be the next step.

Thankyou

Vick
Community Member
Hi Elly & Jenny, I have been grappling with PTSD for some time now and following an event at work I have suffered a relapse in which my anxiety has become the most predominant symptomatic feature. Out of desperation I submitted to a short course of ultra-brief pulse ECT 18 months ago. Since then I have not been able to tolerate any medications as they all seem to induce severe nausea. These include general antibiotics, meds for hypertension and of course, all of the antidepressants except for a soluble form of an antidepressant. However, the massive weight gain with this medication has added a huge risk to my untreated hypertension and I have been forced to cease it. I have consulted 2 physicians, both of whom are still scratching their heads but are inclined toward a diagnosis of anxiety. Has anyone else experienced debilitating nausea that appears to be triggered by medication? Please, can anyone suggest anything that may help? Vick

strangebrew
Community Member

I have experienced severe nausea and vomiting with my anxiety for years. it is one of the most difficult symptoms to get rid of I have found. my doctor had prescribed anti nausea medication which is generally used for cancer patients. but I only take it occasionally as it makes me drowsy. some antihistamines help too but again with the drowsiness I need caffiene or something to get through the day. sometimes a glass of milk or a green tea can help. and I keep dried mango or pineapple at my desk which can relieve the nausea and acid reflux a bit.

Vick
Community Member

I really appreciate your suggestions because I am struggling at the moment.  My doctor has just started me on a short course of benzodiazepines in an attempt to halt the cycle and give me a break from persistent nausea.  However, as I know that these meds cannot be an ongoing remedy, your experiences of other natural products giving you relief gives me hope. Thank you.  Vick

jennyr
Community Member
I'm sorry that you are also going through this. It is extremely hard to watch a loved one go through not only trying to control the anxiety but also have the constant nausea and feeling as though it will not come to an end. My mother had a stroke back in 2012 which they believe might also be a factor in the nausea but the anxiety is driving the nausea harder. She has been told by doctors to use relaxing techniques to help with the anxiety. My mum drinks a lot of lemonade or ginger beer but at the moment she is very depressed and the nausea is very bad at the moment resulting in anxiety attacks on a daily basis. I will pass on the information that strangebrew and yourself have provided me. Exercise, walking,  is also a benefit but my mum does need to be pushed a bit to do it but once she has started I think she can feel the benefits, recommended by doctors.

optimistic
Community Member

Hi Jenny

What a lovely daughter you are - trying to find ways to mitigate your mum's problems! Good on you.

Here are some suggestions.

1) Lemon and ginger - natural cure for nausea

2) Try another psychiatrist to re-evaluate the number of medications and their dosages and perhaps trial alternatives

3) Get a referral from GP for a psychologist who can offer CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy) to help deal with the anxiety and depression

4) What does she like or enjoy? Some fun acitivities to get your mum out of the chair and the house - weekend getaway, walk in the park, drive to the beach, bushwalking, out to the CBD or Darling Harbour, movies, eat out , visiting friends or family, art, craft or whatever she enjoys - some distraction

5) Try getting her to learn yoga , meditation, mindfulness or Tai chi.

Take care. God bless.