FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Supporting my children

Effie
Community Member

My husband suffers from depression. Every now and then he will lose the plot and get very angry with (usually) a member of the immediate family - this takes its form in verbal abuse, threats to leave, shutting himself off from family, not speaking to us, sometimes going AWOL and extravagant personal spending. In some instances, the target has been one of our sons and my husband will verbally abuse him, ground him from 'everything' and have nothing to do with him for up to a week or so. My son (obviously) finds this very hurtful as he has a strong connection and bond with his dad (the rest of the time).   Our other son is 3 years younger and he has been less impacted to date, but who knows about the future. My son is 16 and is reaching a point where possibly he is getting fed up with his father's behaviour and is looking to disconnect from his father. To what extent should I allow this or encourage him to maintain connected and bonded with his father.

1 Reply 1

AGrace
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Effie,

Welcome to the forums.

You pose a pretty tricky question which I guess has a number of possible responses. Before I go into that I wanted to ask:

What sort of treatment is your husband receiving for his depression? How long has he suffered for? What sort of support do you and your children receive at the moment?

I suppose the first way to address your query is to consider that despite being mentally unwell, there is absolutely no excuse for verbal, physical, or emotional abuse. It is fair to state that your children are being impacted by your husband's condition. His actions will have an effect on the way they deal with things as the become adults. So I wonder if you've asked yourself if this is a healthy and safe environment for your children to be in? I guess this approach would conclude in removing yourself and your children from the environment.

The other way of viewing this would be to be more assertive with your husband and ensure that he seeks some extra support for his outbursts, so that he can better manage his temper. This option would require a lot of empathy from you and your children toward your husband. I guess it takes the angle that it's the illness talking and not your husband as a well man. In this scenario your husband would need to be willing to get all the help available to him. I'd also strongly suggest getting your children some form of counselling so that they understand that daddy is doing everything possible to change his behaviour.

As a carer for your husband it's important that you get support as well. It can be a really tough job. Do you see anyone professionally? Do you have supportive friends and family that you can talk to?

I think I've asked lots of questions. I hope we will hear back from you.

AGrace