FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Daughters suicide attempt

Lisathecat
Community Member

How do I cope with this for the 2nd time. It's mentally exhausting. I am in my 60s and alone. I live 3hrs from where she lives. I need some tips on how to talk/deal with her issues. She has bipolar, borderline personality disorder, pyzophrenia. She quit her job and her house is filthy. I try to help as much as i can, but it is affecting my own mental health

1 Reply 1

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

It's comforting to read a loving mothers care for her child. My daughter has made an attempt and has PTSD and depression. 

This is a situation whereby you have an opportunity, to consider all possibilities so your daughter can get your direct support, meaning you live nearby. Can you move? can you rent out your place and move near her on a temporary basis? Can she move to where you are?

Even though I have bipolar etc I'm fully aware how needy my daughter is. So, when she rings me I refrain from mentioning anything about my life unless she asks. So I ask questions, resulting in her getting the attention she needs. A need to feel wanted is good therapy from non professionals.

We need to be aware that any talk whereby our daughters feel they are being pressured/lectured is not helpful. Being their best friend is an aim and that isnt easy to do as parents. If you visit for example, not mentioning the housework simply start picking up things and asking where they belong then after a while she might join in, or ask her to hold the disinfectant as you use a rag to clean- then if you're clever, give her the rag as you say you have to go to the toilet... you might come back and she has taken over!

Ask her about her dreams, like future plans. Whatever she mentions occasionally talk about them. Dreams keep us going, we then have purpose.

Finally hobbies. Even a jigsaw in a spare room can distract her from her problems. When she is stewing over things suggest to her to go in that room and do 20 pieces of the jigsaw.  Distraction works.

https://forums.beyondblue.org.au/t5/staying-well/depression-distraction-and-variety/td-p/275790

Worry is not productive unless you want ulcers.  https://forums.beyondblue.org.au/t5/anxiety/worry-worry-worry/td-p/87808

It is hard being  a parent of a child with an illness we cannot see, a mind we dont know how it works and being far away. Rest assured you have the love and care a good parent has, be confident that your best is in fact good enough. I wish my mother was half as caring.

TonyWK