FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Suspect my boyfriend is having psychosis

natalie_j
Community Member

Me (23F) and my partner (26M) have been together just over a year. Everything is great and we’re in a healthy relationship. He has a history of depression and it comes in waves. This time around it is more severe and has shown it’s self in a different form. He has been rambling on for days about things that just make no sense. All day at work he texts me paragraphs about how our life is going to change and we’re going to fix everything. My main concerns is.. in my parents house I was sexually assaulted by a non relative. My boyfriend knows about this. Also in my parents house there has been some unexplained ghostly things happening. He is now convinced that the ‘energy’ is protecting us and was just scaring me so I’d get out of the house. I get that people have different beliefs. We’re generally on the same page with this type of stuff. Be he will sit there for hours non stop talking about how this energy has shown him and spoken to him not in words and that thee energy is helping us achieve our goals and that I need to not be scared anymore because the energy knows what is best for us and we just need to do what it asks of us. I have no idea what has braught this one. He has never been into conspiracy theories or anything. I should also add my partner is not sleeping. He’s awake all night and goes to sleep for about 2-3 hours at 6am when I get up for work. I know sleep deprivation can cause a lot of things like this. But he had a long sleep today finally and woke up with stronger beliefs than ever. Saying all he’s been dreaming about is that energy and that he’s seen it not with his eyes but with other things. I’m really worried as he has never ever acted like this. I’m at a loss on what to do. He constantly says I’m not crazy. I asked if he was on drugs as that was the only thing I could think of that would make him so erratic. I can’t get him to a doctor as he believes doctors are no good and they never wants to help their patients they only

want money. 

2 Replies 2

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dear natalie,

I am so sorry your partner and yourself are struggling so much with your partner’s mental health,

It sounds like your both going through a very hard time right now…it’s so sad that your partner won’t reach out to his Dr…he really sounds like he needs some professional help by what your saying he is going through…Do you think he might go along to see one if you go with him?..

A lot of people with mental health don’t realise they need help…or don’t want the help that’s available for them….yet a visit and talk to his Dr. might be the way to get himself diagnosed, and set up with a mental health care plan….to learn some coping techniques to help manage his mental health better and for you to also get some help…to help him…Unfortunately if someone doesn’t want to reach out to there Dr…it’s so very hard to convince them…I do hope that your partner will reach out to his Dr…for help.

I am sorry, that I haven’t really given you much help…but wanted to let you know I care…

My kindest thought are with you both..

Grandy.

natalie_j
Community Member

Thank you.  I thought he was getting better today but unfortunately he has gotten a lot worse. He is now on a power trip and is convinced he is involved in some pretty heavy underworld stuff. I’m trying my hardest to stay supportive and make sure he doesn’t think he’s losing me as after all he is still depressed so he gets scared I’m ‘going to think he’s crazy’ last night he came to me and said he’s suffering psychosis and I thought it was a break through but today he’s just gone further into the rabbit hole. I tried to gently ask him about seeing a dr with me and that we can both get our problems fixed together but he thinks doctors are bad people and are out to get us. I see a psychologist regular and have for years. I don’t think I have ever struggled with something like this before. The messages he sends me during the day make no sense. Last night he asked if we could have a warm shower together to make him feel better and of course I said yes. He then proposed to me in the shower. We haven’t even been talking about engagement. It took me by surprise and I’m taking it with a grain of salt as I know he’s not well. I just wish there was more I can do. I come home from work to him talking for hours about his beliefs now. Im not sleeping until 3am and then up for work at 5am because he’s crying and talking and I don’t want to just leave him. Im at such a loss.