FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Eating disorder in son

Bookgirl
Community Member

My teenage son was hospitalised and diagnosed with anorexia over Xmas. Although he is getting good treatment and support I am feeling totally overwhelmed at times with trying to keep up with meal plans and work and monitoring him 24x7. They tell us it takes years to recover and I am so sad for him and can't help feel I am not doing enough to help. I wanted to cry when I saw him exercising a lot today.  I just feel some days that I don't want to get up to deal with it.

1 Reply 1

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Bookgirl~

I'm sorry to hear about your son,  I'm glad he is getting good treatment.

However I can well imagine the impact this has had on you, both the constant worry and sadness of the matter when someone you love has this  and the physical demands upon you, which go on 24/7.

While you have said your son is well supported how about you? If I remeber correctly you have an anxiety condition and that can only make matters harder to cope with (my apologies if I've remembered wrong).

Can I ask if you are still undergoing medical assistance, and if so what support has been added to reflect the new circumstances? Also on the practical side do you have anyone you can lean on either just to talk with or take an active part in helping with meals, supervision, housework and so on?

If you have not already done so I'd suggest contacting the Butterfly Foundation who offer support 8am-midnight to both those wiht an eating disorder and also those who care for them. You can contact by phone, web-chat or email.

It can feel so overwhelming and a desire not to face another day more than understandable. It may seem unrelated but I've found if I do one thing for myself at the end of the day it helps. Something enjoyable to look forward to, something that gives you a reward (which you certainly deserve). It can be a chapter in a favorite book, a meal, a walk or wahtever you think has made you feel happiness, enjoyment or amused you.

I think your son is lucky to have a mum who cares so much and tries so hard.

Croix