Suicidal thoughts and self-harm

This space discusses suicide and self-harm. Consider limiting the time you spend here. To use the section safely, read the pinned discussion.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Do you have a safety plan?
  • replies: 97

Safety planning involves creating a structured plan – ideally with support from your health professional or someone you trust – that you work through when you’re experiencing suicidal thoughts, feelings, distress or crisis. Your safety plan starts wi... View more

Safety planning involves creating a structured plan – ideally with support from your health professional or someone you trust – that you work through when you’re experiencing suicidal thoughts, feelings, distress or crisis. Your safety plan starts with things you can do by yourself, such as thinking about your reasons to live and distracting yourself with enjoyable activities. It then moves on to coping strategies and people you can contact for support – your friends, family and health professionals. The safety planning model was developed in the US by suicide prevention experts Barbara Stanley and Gregory Brown. It has been used extensively by US veterans’ health organisations, hospital emergency departments and high schools, and there is strong evidence that it works. Many health professionals in Australia also use some form of safety planning to support clients experiencing suicidal thoughts or feelings, or after a suicide attempt. beyondblue has an app you can use to create a safety plan, called BeyondNow. The BeyondNow app takes the principles of safety planning and makes it even easier to use – so rather than carrying around a piece of paper, you’ve got it on your phone at all times. It’s free to download from the Apple Store or Google Play. If you don’t have a smartphone or would prefer to use your desktop or laptop, BeyondNow is also available to use on our website. Do you have a safety plan? Do you have questions around how you might create one, or fill out some of the sections? This thread is for discussing ideas around creating a safety plan, and sharing tips about what has been most useful about this process for you. Below are two videos featuring Peter and Nic, who have both used safety plans successfully. Peter Nic

Sophie_M PLEASE READ THIS FIRST: posting in this section
  • replies: 0

Life gets pretty hard sometimes and many people in this online community have had times where they have thought about hurting themselves or ending their life. This can be a stressful and at times overwhelming experience, and this section is here to h... View more

Life gets pretty hard sometimes and many people in this online community have had times where they have thought about hurting themselves or ending their life. This can be a stressful and at times overwhelming experience, and this section is here to help members who have had these experiences. This is a place to share where you are at, seek ideas for help and know that you are not alone. We are here to create a safe environment for everyone. Please do not provide any details about any plans/ideas that you may have had to hurt yourself, and importantly, help us to understand if you are safe by letting us know in the post. Making comments that let us know that you are having thoughts, but are safe, helps us to know that your conversation can continue without interruption, and that we do not need to put any further follow up for you in place. This section will not be for everyone.It shows posts from people who are distressed, offers public replies to these posts, and encourages people to come back and share how they got past that difficult point in time - what worked, what didn’t and how they now approach these difficult thoughts. It is important to think about what you want from the forums, what information you need and what threads will be helpful to your situation, rather than reading everything that is posted. For some people this section might be difficult to read – if it is not helping how you feel, then please consider moving to another section. This section, like the rest of our forums, is closely monitored and all posts are reviewed by moderators before publication. Moderators will also ensure that anyone needing follow up will be provided with information about how to access further support. ​This section remains a discussion forum focused on helping each other through the dark times, it is not a crisis support service. Any posts that do not abide by the community rules will not be published. Unlike other areas of the forum, threads in this section will be closed after a period of one month of inactivity. If you are in crisis or need immediate help, assistance is not available via these forums. Please call Suicide Call Back 1300 659 467, Lifeline 13 11 14 or contact emergency services on 000.

All discussions

honey16921 I can't see any future anymore
  • replies: 2

The world has gone completely to hell. I haven't seen anyone in months. I'm in Melbourne and there's no future here. There can't be when 90% of people who have symptoms of coronavirus just go out anyway. What on earth is the point, I'm never going to... View more

The world has gone completely to hell. I haven't seen anyone in months. I'm in Melbourne and there's no future here. There can't be when 90% of people who have symptoms of coronavirus just go out anyway. What on earth is the point, I'm never going to be able to see anyone again. Why even try? This is just going to go on forever and it's pretty obvious there are wars coming after this, then climate change. I'm so angry and sad and lonely and I just want it to stop. I don't have the means to kill myself so I'm not going to do it, but it still seems like the only option to escape this nightmare.

Vei Enough is enough
  • replies: 4

Recently been caught up in strong feelings in regards to not feeling like there is any future. Suicide has been on my mind as it has been in the past but I have always seemed to pull myself back from those thoughts. I was wondering however when you s... View more

Recently been caught up in strong feelings in regards to not feeling like there is any future. Suicide has been on my mind as it has been in the past but I have always seemed to pull myself back from those thoughts. I was wondering however when you simply think enough is enough and it scared me to think that one day I might not be able to step back from those thoughts. I think that the fact I acknowledge the struggles I have and that in the past I’ve overcome these negative feelings is positive, however there must be a time when enough is enough. I’m the most anxious I can remember ever being, and flit from anywhere from deep despair to turnings my emotions off altogether.

imbadwithnames I need your advice

Hello! So I need some advice. I have been struggling with suicidal thoughts for a long long time and the past couple months have been no different. It's been a really rough couple months, and judging by the news I got today, it's about to get a heck ... View more

Hello! So I need some advice. I have been struggling with suicidal thoughts for a long long time and the past couple months have been no different. It's been a really rough couple months, and judging by the news I got today, it's about to get a heck of a lot harder. What I need advice with is, I basically live a double life. I have me, i'mbadwithnames, and then I have "online me", let's call them... idk i'mbadwithnames2 (there is a reason why I chose that name...) I am a massive follower of sports, and ibwn2 is my way of interacting with those communities. From watching streams of the players on Twitch when they stream, to interacting with the teams and players on Twitter. A lot of people in the community know my name and I have developed a little following with a lot of people that interact with me. The thing is, ibwn2 is a very positive force on the community. A lot of the people I follow... aren't well liked. I basically exist to tell them that they are talented and welcomed members of the community and to provide a juxtaposition to all the hatred they get every day from being online all the time. (They aren't hated for being bad people, most of them are very nice and a lot of fun to be around, they are just on teams maybe someone doesn't like or that isn't doing well or someone doesn't like the organisation their team exists and plays under ectect.). As you can see, this is a pretty big juxtaposition to actual ibwn who can barely make it through the day without curling up in a ball and crying off to sleep. The question I have, should I introduce i'mbadwithnames2's community to actual i'mbadwithnames? It kind of feels like I am playing them and betraying them by not being authentic, but at the same time I enjoy seperating the two because it means I can be on social media and forget about how awful my life and mental health is and just be someone completely different, arguably better, person. But at the same time, maybe online community wants to know so they can help me? I don't really have an in person support system so I get most of my "support" from online friends, a couple of which know how much I am struggling. But a lot of my little community (god it feels egotistical to call them "my community") don't actually know. They never get to peek behind the curtain of positivity. As mentioned, I got some bad news today so being that positive person is likely about to become harder. What do you guys think? Any thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

pixie007 Mental hospital help
  • replies: 3

I've really been felling so horrible lately, I cant stand it. Nobody believes i suffer from mental illnesses (I have diagnosed anxiety and depression) and I hate having to research reasons to not kill myself every night. i want to get better, and i t... View more

I've really been felling so horrible lately, I cant stand it. Nobody believes i suffer from mental illnesses (I have diagnosed anxiety and depression) and I hate having to research reasons to not kill myself every night. i want to get better, and i think i just need some time away from my social life and family. but i dont have a clue on how to get admitted to a mental ward. help is appreciated

Kombie390 I don't belong
  • replies: 11

What am I doing here. I don't belong here. I don't feel like I have a place on this earth anymore. Why you ask? Because of dissociation. I've been switching from really young ages to my current age for almost a straight month. I've bounced around fro... View more

What am I doing here. I don't belong here. I don't feel like I have a place on this earth anymore. Why you ask? Because of dissociation. I've been switching from really young ages to my current age for almost a straight month. I've bounced around from caring for my younger parts to now been back to hurting and destroying them and myself. I love my counsellors they are great. I am going through so many issues and problems I keep feeling like a heavy burden towards them I bother them too often I'm not their only client I never have a good day or week to report back to them in any sessions anymore. They've suggested and offered the mental health crisis team whom I've had contact and used before. It's just that with the dissociation and switching ages and what I went through in the past I am absolutely terrified to be locked away. One of my counsellors have suggested a retreat for respite or utilise a hospital stay. I can't. I'm scared. I want to talk but at the same time not talk. I feel all blocked up I feel like I am shutting myself down. I'm slipping I know I am this time right now a part of me doesn't care if I'm alive or not nor do I care how badly I am hurting myself or the harm and risk I put myself in.

venn1 Taking things out on myself

Hello. I’m not really sure why I’m posting this, I guess maybe to feel less alone about it. Also want to clarify that I’m safe and am not about to kill myself or anything. I see a counsellor (though have lapsed a bit with covid stuff happening) who d... View more

Hello. I’m not really sure why I’m posting this, I guess maybe to feel less alone about it. Also want to clarify that I’m safe and am not about to kill myself or anything. I see a counsellor (though have lapsed a bit with covid stuff happening) who diagnosed me with anxiety/depression ages ago. It has taken me a really really long time to even begin to accept that, and often I still don’t believe it, because I haven’t had anything very devastating happen to me in life. I have a good life. I feel almost like I must be putting it on to get attention or feel ‘special’, and I don’t trust my own thoughts about it. I’m just weak. So many people have it so so much worse than I. I find it impossible to accept myself making any sort of mistake. I feel totally worthless and stupid when I do something (anything) wrong and get strong urges to punish myself by self harming. Sometimes I go through with it, sometimes I don’t. This is the main reason I hurt myself- because I feel like I deserve to feel pain because of what a screw-up I am. I had a period of a couple years where I didn’t hurt myself (don’t know how I did it, it just died off for a bit?) but recently it’s started again sometimes. Does anyone who does this know of a way to channel the urge to hurt yourself into some other thing? I know it’s often said that you should try and distract yourself through grounding techniques but often when I’m in that place, the urge to punish myself is too strong. I just want to take things out on myself. Thank you

Wazza23 Suicidal thoughts due to feelings of loneliness
  • replies: 4

Just over a year ago, I found out that my wife had been raped just before I proposed to her. That was over 10 years ago and she kept it a secret until I accidentally found out. Somehow she has managed to move on and gotten on with life. After the ini... View more

Just over a year ago, I found out that my wife had been raped just before I proposed to her. That was over 10 years ago and she kept it a secret until I accidentally found out. Somehow she has managed to move on and gotten on with life. After the initial revelation, things sort of got back to normal but inwardly I have found it very difficult to cope because she refused to acknowledge the rape. She said that calling it rape gave the guy too much power but this makes me think she cheated on me. She doesn't want to talk about it, and since she is the primary victim I respected that. However, I felt very lonely so I confided in a number of people. I felt that getting different perspectives from a number of people helped me to understand her better. Recently my wife found out I had confided in my cousin who is a younger female. My wife was upset about this but I'm not sure why. She said it was okay for me to talk, but only to specific people. I didn't think it fair that she wants to vet and approve the people I confide in, especially since she's made it clear they are my issues and not hers. She's made it clear that she doesn't want to talk about the incident with me, but I often feel the need to talk. Anyway, that sort of lead me to an episode of feeling like suicide is a good option since it appears I can't do anything right. The episode has since passed and I'm not feeling this way anymore. I've done a bit of counselling but I find this a bit difficult to do since we have a young family to look after. But how do I look after myself if I have no one to talk to? I understand that my wife may feel like her privacy is being violated but I generally don't discuss the details of the incident with other people, only where I'm at. How can I deal with my issues in a positive way that won't cause friction in my household?

OceanWhispers I'm tired
  • replies: 19

It's been awhile since I last posted here. A long time of trying to get better and so far not having any luck. To add to the depression, dark thoughts and suicide thoughts every single day, I now have side effects from the different medications to de... View more

It's been awhile since I last posted here. A long time of trying to get better and so far not having any luck. To add to the depression, dark thoughts and suicide thoughts every single day, I now have side effects from the different medications to deal with. I'm tired. I'm emotionally, physically mentally tired and I don't think I can do this much longer. I feel I've ruined my whole life and I don't know if it's worth trying anymore.

feeling_blue86 Hi there

Hi there, i'm not sure where to start but here it goes.....i feel i'm in a toxic place with my family and its affecting my mental health. I currently don't have a job and am studying at uni. I'm constantly criticized, verbally abused by my mother and... View more

Hi there, i'm not sure where to start but here it goes.....i feel i'm in a toxic place with my family and its affecting my mental health. I currently don't have a job and am studying at uni. I'm constantly criticized, verbally abused by my mother and sister. Now it's at a point where I want to leave the house and commit suicide. I don't have friends and i'm not married. And all bad stuff my sister and mother said is constantly running in my mind. I just feel so alone and sad.

SeraJane Seeking support form anyone who has a son or daughter survive suicide but has a brain injury and has other kids

Hi I am not sure where to find a support group for this. My 23yo son attempted to end his life and for three days we thought we would lose him., He is doing well now but has a brain injury and short term memory loss. My 19yo daughter did CPR on him. ... View more

Hi I am not sure where to find a support group for this. My 23yo son attempted to end his life and for three days we thought we would lose him., He is doing well now but has a brain injury and short term memory loss. My 19yo daughter did CPR on him. I am so worried he comes home next week and he teases her as though they are just teens fighting like all teens do but for her she has anger and is very sensitive as she is traumatised.....she is seeing a psychologist. Of course I am terrified he will go back to his old self destructive habits....anyway just reaching out to those who may have lived are living thru this type of thing