FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Hi there, I only just joined and I'm worried about the Coronavirus.

Harry_Lime
Community Member
Hi everybody.

This is my first time posting on this forum - I only joined BB last Saturday night after a bout of anxiety and depression.

The thing is, I’ve been worrying a lot about the coronavirus that is going on at the moment; every time there is a news item about it its worse than the news item before it. And now that Australia has confirmed person-to-person virus contact it seems we are going the way of China with shut downs and restrictions and the news is full of footage of statistics and even people panic buying. I know it sounds really strange where I am coming from, but its just been on my mind almost 24/7 and I am becoming obsessed with news about it which probably isn’t good. I’m genuinely scared I am going to catch it or worse. Am I the only one out there like this?

I’ve always been on the anxious side of things, a born worrier etc. I just turned fifty last year (yeah, great) and I work from home as a graphic designer. And its only me living here - my partner lives a couple of hours away in the country. I’ve told her what I am going through and she is very low key about the whole coronavirus situation.

I’d really appreciate some ideas, feedback etc.

Thanks guys! 🙂

42 Replies 42

Could a mod perhaps sticky this thread or put a link similar to the bushfire thread please? 🙂

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Harry,

I stopped watching the news a few years ago. I hear snippets from others and I too am starting to feel a little anxious about the virus but am taking things day by day. Practise good hygiene, boost your immune system with healthy foods and stay present, that's what I'm trying.

Hope this helps.

Cmf x

Keep your eyes peeled SapereAude. We're working on something that fits that bill right now. It should be up within the next few hours.

In the meantime, thank you for your calming influence here. Please, everyone, keep supporting each other here on Harry Lime's thread as well as the one soon to be published. We're glad you've found this thread helpful.

Hi SapereAude and Welcome

Beyond Blue have a section dedicated to this virus

SophieM our community moderator wrote an excellent thread above

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/the-facts/looking-after-your-mental-health-during-the-coronavirus-outbreak

I hope you find this reference helpful .....Paul

It is good Beyond Blue have informative threads on corona virusI find the amount of information overwhelming.

I choose one source I trust.

I don't listen to much news as it is too sensational.

Quirky..

Yes, the media are overhyping, sensationalising, and clambering to get your eyes on their news feed. I probably did a bit of a stupid thing this morning and had the radio tuned to 3AW and Neil Mitchell was going at a million miles an hour covering the cancellation of the Grand Prix, what else is being cancelled, what the stock markets were doing, who will be unemployed etc. As a result, I felt a bit bombarded by all this and needed to switch off for a while (not good when you work from home). I think we can back it in the media attention to this (and people's reactions) will escalate as this thing goes on. I'm glad to see the BB team have now got a dedicated thread to help members who are concerned by the coronavirus to help those of us feeling anxious about it.

H

Hi Romantic Thief.

Movie suggestions:

What dreams May come.

The entire Toy Story Collection.

A conversation with God (Non religious)

Memoirs of a Geisha

The talented Mr Ripley.

The curious Case of Benjamin Button.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Harry, welcome and pleased there have been so many good replies including a couple from SophieM.

Being anxious is well and truly understandable and definitely a worry for all of us without any doubt, the one thing we have is that it's worldwide, so there will someone or some country who will find a vaccine to this infectious disease.

Unfortunately panic creates panic and that's what we are seeing in the supermarkets where there are no particular items left to purchase and all the supermarkets have been too slow in policing the purchase of toilet paper, only thinking of the profits they'll make.

They are putting a ban on any returns once we get back to normal and I'm sure there will be every available epidemiologist working overtime because the company who finds a vaccine is going to make a large profit.

The health and safety of all of us is imperative.

Please take care.

Geoff.

Human minds seem to often predict the worst.

It seems research explains that people tend to overestimate how they’ll be impacted by terrible events and underestimate how much they will handle and adjust to difficult situations.
Most of us are more resilient than we think.

I think it is the unpredictable nature of how far and how wide the virus will go that makes us worry and anxious.

It would be helpful if we could feel positive about how we will cope with this event.

Quirky

Harry_Lime
Community Member
Thanks Geoff for your reply. It’s an absolute roller coaster at the moment - the whole virus scenario and my own reactions to it. I’ve made the decision to see the Doctor tomorrow and have a chat. Maybe get something to calm me down mentally a bit too. It’s been years since I took anti anxiety tablets but I guess it’ll help. And see about having a chat to a counsellor as well. May as well stay ahead of the curve. 😕