FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Hi there, I only just joined and I'm worried about the Coronavirus.

Harry_Lime
Community Member
Hi everybody.

This is my first time posting on this forum - I only joined BB last Saturday night after a bout of anxiety and depression.

The thing is, I’ve been worrying a lot about the coronavirus that is going on at the moment; every time there is a news item about it its worse than the news item before it. And now that Australia has confirmed person-to-person virus contact it seems we are going the way of China with shut downs and restrictions and the news is full of footage of statistics and even people panic buying. I know it sounds really strange where I am coming from, but its just been on my mind almost 24/7 and I am becoming obsessed with news about it which probably isn’t good. I’m genuinely scared I am going to catch it or worse. Am I the only one out there like this?

I’ve always been on the anxious side of things, a born worrier etc. I just turned fifty last year (yeah, great) and I work from home as a graphic designer. And its only me living here - my partner lives a couple of hours away in the country. I’ve told her what I am going through and she is very low key about the whole coronavirus situation.

I’d really appreciate some ideas, feedback etc.

Thanks guys! 🙂

42 Replies 42

Hi Harry, you may know about this but ask your doctor about the 'mental health plan', which entitles you to 10 Medicare paid sessions with a psychologist or a psychiatrist and perhaps if you could write down o some paper the problems you are trying to cope with, and I say this because when you're sitting down in front of them, thoughts just seem to disappear.

Please let us know how you get on with them.

Geoff.

Hi Harry

you are not alone having these concerns....This can be overwhelming to go through...as I feel the same as yourself with this virus

There is always the 'good' and the 'bad'....The people that have actually recovered from this virus is still very high as per my post early in your thread...

I hope you had a good visit with your doctor yesterday

my best and thankyou for your helpful thread

Paul

Melb13
Community Member
Hi . I'm new here . I'm not dealing well with what's happening with corona and society . I have little kids and my anxiety has overtaken me the last two days . I'm scared . I feel really unwell and cant get in to see my doctor .

Harry_Lime
Community Member

Hi gang

i hope everyone is going okay. I’ve been following people’s advice here and trying to stay focused. Tomorrow I am seeing my GP for the paperwork for a mental health plan and then I see a local psychologist to start unburdening myself. I’m guessing it will be a one hour session of me doing a constant stream of whatever I am feeling. I’ve had a week of ups and downs with the anxiety and panic attacks. I just hope by talking to someone I can just let all my fears out.

Hey Harry...and welcome Melb13 🙂

Good on you for being so proactive with your health and seeing your GP for the mental health plan too! That takes serious strength to do especially in the difficult time we are going through...I used to have chronic anxiety attacks when I was 23 in 1983 and yes its a bad place to be in...(understatement of the decade!)

Your life experience is always welcome Harry and thankyou for your thread and for helping others too 🙂

Hi Melb13....this would be a very difficult time for you especially with being strong for your children too....You are always welcome to start your own thread if you wish...(I hope you can!) In the meantime Beyond Blue have a thread that you can post on...The copy & paste link is below for you Melb13 🙂

www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/coping-during-the-coronavirus-outbreak

Sorry to hijack your thread Harry...oops...just sending Melb13 a quick reply

my kind thoughts

Paul

Harry_Lime
Community Member

Hi everyone.
I had my first therapy counseling session yesterday with a very good psychiatrist to talk about my coronavirus anxieties. It was a big help to finally sit down with someone and just spill out everything that I was going through. For the last few weeks I’ve been tuning in and seeking out any and all news on the coronavirus and have filled my head with far too many conflicting pieces of information that has become far too stressful to manage. It’s become an addiction. By the time I was halfway through the session explaining where I was at I was already starting to feel overwhelmed by it. He managed to talk me down and through it. He’s given me some things to try (like only limiting the news to one source at one time of the day) and try to stick to that. It’s actually a lot harder than I thought but I am trying.
So there you go.
On a slightly related topic I saw my GP that same morning for the healthcare paperwork and I asked him if he thinks we will get through this. He replied “yes of course we will.” He cited the that Chiba has managed to turn around (he’s Chinese himself) as well as Singapore and South Korea. Now, part of me is a little sceptical about news coming out of China anyway, but on the other hand I have always trusted my doctor for the best part of twenty years. He’s always been one of those doctors you come away from feeling better after seeing him and he knows my mental condition better than anybody.
I guess I’ll see how things go.
H

Hi Harry

my GP is also from south east Asia.. and Ive been seeing him every 6 weeks for 24 years for a 'tune up' with my own anxiety issues..Your doc is spot on as China has reported positive news about the reduction in people diagnosed with this virus...

It would have been a huge help to sit down and talk to your psychiatrist about what we are going through H

You mentioned "He’s always been one of those doctors you come away from feeling better after seeing him"

What you mentioned is all that matters Harry!

my kindest

Paul

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Harry and Paul, this is indeed something we were not expecting but doesn't this happen to so many unexpected problems in life, and yes it is a worry but we will get through it to battle another day.

We have to keep in mind the number of people who have been infected are well into the thousands but have come out 'seeing the light' once again and overcome this infection because a vaccine will be found and perhaps those that are taking this for another reason, as suggested, maybe already inoculated, I can't predict this, though.

Take care.

Geoff.

KJD
Community Member
My partner has gone into complete melt down about the Coronavirus, yelling telling us we don’t care if he dies from it, not letting anyone share their opinion if it’s not the same as his, even to the point of telling our daughter she can pack her stuff and leave all because she didn’t want to watch anymore about the virus (this was after sitting and watching for almost 3 hours). I don’t know what to do - we have no family close or even in the same state. Everyone is dealing with this differently but I’m sick and tired of crying and having myself and the kids yelled at.

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi KJD...

I am sad that your partner is reacting the way you mentioned in your post...Virus or not your partner seems to having difficulty coping....Not coping is understandable in this awful time yet his focus is misdirected as he is venting his frustrations at you and your daughter.....this is unacceptable

We (you.. I and everyone) have enough to go through in this awful situation without a partner redirecting his inability to cope (anger) to others..Watching the media releases for 3 hours! would be detrimental to your and your daughters well being....I can barely sit through 15 minutes..seriously

Can I ask if your partner has a GP that is local? Of course you cant ask any questions yet you can express your concerns about his behavior which will be noted!.....Or please see your GP and mention what you have to us...even if you print out this page...many people do a screenshot of their post so they dont have to explain it all over again to their doc

Beyond Blue have super caring counsellors available 24/7 on 1300 22 4636

You can also create your own thread topic and will have a lot more support by doing so KJD 🙂

There are many people like yourself that have posted on the copy & paste link below

www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/coping-during-the-coronavirus-outbreak

Please lean on us KJD...we are here and listening...any questions are welcome...the forums are a safe place

my kind thoughts

Paul