FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Trying alcohol free

Julz01
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I have not had a major depressive order for a while, but I guess I have not felt upbeat either. After months of drinking every night sometimes 2 or 3 bottles of wine. So I am now on day 3 of alcohol, I am not setting a time to achieve alcohol free just waking each day trying to abstain.

i got myself both mentally & physically wee a couple of years ago even lost 30 kgs now I have put back 20kg. So trying to get my self care back but I am so unmotivated to take up exercise again or even do simple chores around the house. If I can stay of the alcohol it may all come back again.

any tips on beating alcohol & stepping up my motivation to achieve things in my day would be great.

1 Reply 1

Emmen
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Julz01,

First and foremost, do you have someone (a friend or family member) who can check in with you every day? It would be good if there's someone you're comfortable sharing this with outside this forum. Knowing that you're accountable to them can help you keep up with abstaining from alcohol.

Do you know why you're drinking these days (e.g. loneliness or something else)? Once you've stopped drinking, it would help to address the underlying reason for your drinking as well, perhaps in finding a way that those issues can be resolved in a healthier way.

Wishing you all the best,
Emmen