Relationship and family issues

Anything to do with managing relationships and family, including parenting, separation, loneliness, divorce, family and friendships.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: 3 important tips to get the most out of this section
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following... View more

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following 3 tips: 1. Do you really want to share this with the world? This is a public forum. Are you thinking of posting something that could identify you to a friend or family member? Once you've posted, you can't delete what you've written and we don't take posts down from here unless they've broken one of our community rules. This is because our members spend a lot of time composing replies, and there is a much wider audience that gets a lot out of reading what has been written. It's not fair to ask the community for support, then ask to have it removed once you've read it so others can't also benefit. Use discretion when posting here - think about the level of detail you are sharing, and think also about who might know you are posting here. Also, please keep it clean: this is an all ages forum and explicit discussions about sexual problems are not permitted. Threads and posts of this nature will be removed and your account placed on a moderation hold. 2. What do you want to get out of posting here? Relationship and family issues are stressful. Members sometimes post here seeking advice about a relationship that has broken down, but find themselves getting upset when they don't agree with the response they get. This is a peer support forum, meaning we are not mental health professionals. We are people of all ages and backgrounds, with a wide range of life experiences. While we aim for our discussions to be conducted respectfully, people here will respond with the truth as they see it, from their own experiences and perspectives. We are not here to take sides. Offence is almost never intentional, but it can be sometimes taken. The advice you will see here is not intended to be a substitute for professional counselling. 3. What other support do you have? Most people posting on our forums (about any issue) use this space as a supplement to other supports. This forum is not and cannot be a substitute for offline supports, but it is often a good place to start the ball rolling and find the courage for seeking help. If you are relying solely on an internet forum to resolve your relationship or family issues, you are likely to be disappointed. Check out the Healthy Homes section of our Healthy Families website for further information and resources.

All discussions

Lymbo Love is not enough
  • replies: 2

I was involved with a narcissist partner for 3 years. I pulled away last Tuesday as I realised that this person has no respect for my life, for my world, for my needs and never there to bat in my corner. For years it's been about them. I boxed in her... View more

I was involved with a narcissist partner for 3 years. I pulled away last Tuesday as I realised that this person has no respect for my life, for my world, for my needs and never there to bat in my corner. For years it's been about them. I boxed in her corner 24/7 . What kills me the most is I have been there for her all the way. I was there in her darkest hours I was there to wipe her tears I was there when everyone wasn't I was there to pull her out of shit I was there to hold her I was there to find where her kids lived I was there to make sure she had petrol money u name it im torn between love and still believing there is good in her

Lachlan88 Husband trying to help his Wife
  • replies: 28

Hello I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'll start anyway. I believe my wife is starting to suffer from depression, she has a history of it when she was younger and plus her family has too. For the past week she hasnt gone to w... View more

Hello I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'll start anyway. I believe my wife is starting to suffer from depression, she has a history of it when she was younger and plus her family has too. For the past week she hasnt gone to work and has not stopped watching Netflix until she literally falls asleep. Now this is a woman who is career minded and loves her job and she's damn good at it! But recently she's has been stressed out by trying to achieve a promotion to climb the ladder and her workload has been extreme. I've seen how hard she's worked and how much her employers have taken her for granted. We have also been recovering financially from our wedding last year and it has been tough money wise but we all work together to make things work but also the stress of childcare on us has been massive with those costs. Plus our two year old son is he energizer bunny! I dont know what to do. She's refusing to talk to anyone at home, I thought if I waited a week and then approached her to ask what's happening she might open up but she explodes and tells me that she just wants to be left alone. She's ignoring our son who wants nothing more to be with his mum but all she is does is sit and watch to show after to show. I think this is how she is escaping what's happening but I'm scared she going loose everything if this continues. I love her a lot and I just want to help her. If that means we have to see someone for her to talk to then I'm onboard with that but I think she knows something is wrong but doesn't want to face it. I'll do whatever she wants me to do to help but I don't how to help her if she's refusing to talk. what can I do to help? Am I doing the wrong things or are there steps I can take to help her? Thankyou lachlan

Sara76 My last chance

My relationships all turn out the same.. how do I stop myself from pushing people away i have depression I've had it most of my life and now anxiety is a problem too !

My relationships all turn out the same.. how do I stop myself from pushing people away i have depression I've had it most of my life and now anxiety is a problem too !

Deedeee Lyme disease
  • replies: 4

I'm married to a man with lymes disease and I'm struggling to deal with it is there anyone out there in the same boat ?

I'm married to a man with lymes disease and I'm struggling to deal with it is there anyone out there in the same boat ?

Guest_3072 FORGIVING MYSELF FOR SHARING SENSITIVE INFORMATION ABOUT OTHERS??

Hello everyone, I just wanted to get some insight and advice on how I can forgive myself for sharing some information about another person to another person/people as I was feeling frustrated and was venting my feelings, and/or sometimes was looking ... View more

Hello everyone, I just wanted to get some insight and advice on how I can forgive myself for sharing some information about another person to another person/people as I was feeling frustrated and was venting my feelings, and/or sometimes was looking for advice from other people. I know that in hindsight, I should have thought about the consequences of my actions and thought about how I would feel if someone inherently gossiped about me but yeah. I obviously have learned my lesson now and won't share what is mostly emotionally sensitive information to others in angst or while venting but yeah, I don't know, does anybody have any ideas of how I can just forgive myself and move on? Gabby

Elsie77 He reacts with anger to my depression
  • replies: 8

This morning I just couldn't wake up. I had my 3 year old on top of me trying to get me out of bed and the 6 year old doing his own thing. It was still over an hour until we had to leave for school. My partner was trying to get up and get ready for w... View more

This morning I just couldn't wake up. I had my 3 year old on top of me trying to get me out of bed and the 6 year old doing his own thing. It was still over an hour until we had to leave for school. My partner was trying to get up and get ready for work but was so frustrated with what was going on. I guess he felt I should be up and chirpy and getting kids breakfast. I find it harder at the moment because I'm on a new medication as well. Rather than help or show any kind of empathy or understanding he just kept ordering me to get up in a horrible voice and then left without saying goodbye and slammed the door really loudly. When I already have depression this kind of thing spirals me into a worse frame of mind and affects the whole day. I have spoken to him about it in the past but he still just gets so angry when I'm not coping. I know he restrained himself this morning. It has been worse in the past. Wondering if anyone else has similar issues.

new_beginning Just soo lonely
  • replies: 6

What does everyone do to deal with feelings of loneliness? I literally have no friends, not one. Both of my parents suffer some degree of depression and when i talk to them it just turns into a miserable conversation and i cant open up to them about ... View more

What does everyone do to deal with feelings of loneliness? I literally have no friends, not one. Both of my parents suffer some degree of depression and when i talk to them it just turns into a miserable conversation and i cant open up to them about how i feel about things anyway. Yes i have 2 kids so im rarely alone but it doesnt stop me from being lonely sometimes. I just lost my fulltime job, made an epic mistake a few months ago (out of loneliness) which has resulted in me being pregnant again and am already struggling financially. Id love to join a interest group but unfortunately i live in the country so it costs money to get there and then the group itself would cost money.. i try getting involved in parent groups and school stuff but i feel so bad about myself, my situation and the underlying fear that friends i do make will just use and abuse as has happened in the past.. Im really not sure what i can do to inprove my situation. Hoping someone has been in a simular situation and can shed some light on how they found some happiness

Nickname_861D3AF6-964B-45 Having trouble coping a lost relationship.
  • replies: 1

Hello I'm new glad to be here. Atm I am having so much trouble coping my best 3 year relationship has ended 3 days ago. Have trouble sleeping, not eating enough and thinking of us in the past constantly. We use to do everything together but now it's ... View more

Hello I'm new glad to be here. Atm I am having so much trouble coping my best 3 year relationship has ended 3 days ago. Have trouble sleeping, not eating enough and thinking of us in the past constantly. We use to do everything together but now it's nothing... He says he loves me but he's heading a different direction with everything and hope to spend time as friends in the future. After we broke up he added back a girl who he cheated on with me back in 2014 on Facebook so wasn't impressed by that at all so I removed him off Facebook... I do miss him and this sucks but my emotions are going everywhere atm... Just feel like it's my fault cause I've told him you rather not see me at all ra ra ra...before the breakup all he wants to do is be around other people and not see me and that lead to the breakup... I just want a serious, long term relationship with someone. I don't what to do. Should I talk to him? Should I move on? Any suggests will help thanks. X

rachelg12 Confusing contact with ex after one month NC?

Hi all, im sure some of you saw my last post but basically its been about one month since my boyfriend of 4 years broke up with me. We are both 21 and he felt that I was holding him back in life. I think he wanted to experience what it was like to be... View more

Hi all, im sure some of you saw my last post but basically its been about one month since my boyfriend of 4 years broke up with me. We are both 21 and he felt that I was holding him back in life. I think he wanted to experience what it was like to be single and be able to sleep with other people - something he craves but never seems to want it for very long before he comes crawling back to me because he realizes it isn't that good (he has left about four time for about two weeks then come back). He feels like he is too young to be in such a serious relationship. In saying that, we love each other a lot, and I know there are things that would need to be worked on for us to be a good couple, such as me being too dependent on him, and him having more freedom in the relationship. So I have had no contact at all for four weeks, until last night I caved and called him. He answered and I said I was just seeing how he was going and was thinking about him. He was quite cold at first, and we had small talk, then he started to say how much he missed me sexually and how turned on her was getting just talking to me. I tried to change the subject but thats all he could think about, he wanted me to come over, and he also wanted to come over to my place. I said I cared about him too much to have a one night thing with him and that I couldnt give him what he wanted. He then started asking me whether I had slept with anyone else since we had broken up, and if I had he wanted to hear about it because it turned him on. I dont understand why that wouldnt make him upset or jealous or angry to think about? Once I was firm about my answer, he started to be a bit rude to me and said that he was talking to other girls. We got off the phone and he texted me saying it was best I didnt call him again because it messed with his head. He then deleted me off all social media. I am really confused and I don't understand what's going on or where his head is at. I really miss him and I will keep giving him as much space as he needs because I know it would be toxic for us to patch things up right now, but I dont know where to go from here. Any help or advice would be appreciated

velvetfaerie Parenting marriage.......
  • replies: 12

Hi guys, Long story but will keep it short. I have been in a relationship with a guy for 6 months. He lives with the ex still. Still married, no relationship, not separated, together under the same roof financially and for the kids. He is FIFO, 2 wee... View more

Hi guys, Long story but will keep it short. I have been in a relationship with a guy for 6 months. He lives with the ex still. Still married, no relationship, not separated, together under the same roof financially and for the kids. He is FIFO, 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. He pays for the mortgage and the bills. She works fulltime. I accepted this as i was told the relationship was amicable. Sure doesn't seem that way now. Every time we make plans she undermines them. When he comes home from up north she tells him her social plans and that's it. If he and I have plans that clash we cancel.....every time. He never stands up to her because he is "scared of her". He says he loves me and wants a future with me but I am constantly feeling unimportant. I am feisty, he is my polar oposite. In my humbel opinion i think he has depression. I know the kids are priority and I have never disputed that. But where will I fit in? Am i a mistress? I have asked him these things up front and he denies and makes promises he never keeps. Small ones. The big ones - things are a bit early for those. Any help is appreciated. Ask any questions as well. Velv. XX