Relationship and family issues

Anything to do with managing relationships and family, including parenting, separation, loneliness, divorce, family and friendships.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: 3 important tips to get the most out of this section
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following... View more

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following 3 tips: 1. Do you really want to share this with the world? This is a public forum. Are you thinking of posting something that could identify you to a friend or family member? Once you've posted, you can't delete what you've written and we don't take posts down from here unless they've broken one of our community rules. This is because our members spend a lot of time composing replies, and there is a much wider audience that gets a lot out of reading what has been written. It's not fair to ask the community for support, then ask to have it removed once you've read it so others can't also benefit. Use discretion when posting here - think about the level of detail you are sharing, and think also about who might know you are posting here. Also, please keep it clean: this is an all ages forum and explicit discussions about sexual problems are not permitted. Threads and posts of this nature will be removed and your account placed on a moderation hold. 2. What do you want to get out of posting here? Relationship and family issues are stressful. Members sometimes post here seeking advice about a relationship that has broken down, but find themselves getting upset when they don't agree with the response they get. This is a peer support forum, meaning we are not mental health professionals. We are people of all ages and backgrounds, with a wide range of life experiences. While we aim for our discussions to be conducted respectfully, people here will respond with the truth as they see it, from their own experiences and perspectives. We are not here to take sides. Offence is almost never intentional, but it can be sometimes taken. The advice you will see here is not intended to be a substitute for professional counselling. 3. What other support do you have? Most people posting on our forums (about any issue) use this space as a supplement to other supports. This forum is not and cannot be a substitute for offline supports, but it is often a good place to start the ball rolling and find the courage for seeking help. If you are relying solely on an internet forum to resolve your relationship or family issues, you are likely to be disappointed. Check out the Healthy Homes section of our Healthy Families website for further information and resources.

All discussions

Oizys It is is like he's died, but the shell of him is still here.
  • replies: 4

A family member is no longer the person I know. That person is gone. They have mental health issues of their own, but it is now evident to me that I cannot keep in contact with them as their problems could impact me professionally. I hate the whole t... View more

A family member is no longer the person I know. That person is gone. They have mental health issues of their own, but it is now evident to me that I cannot keep in contact with them as their problems could impact me professionally. I hate the whole thing, but the Person I knew doesnt exist anymore. I have to find a away of severing the relationship.i fought my way in to be involved in this situation and now I am drowning in my consequences.

KAZ234 Family disconnects.
  • replies: 5

Topic wide OPEN, Would like minded people contribute there experience, find myself estranged from sister. YES many have the same history. How long is to long to reconnect, I am 70 it’s been a number of years not to many I feel. Random text nothing el... View more

Topic wide OPEN, Would like minded people contribute there experience, find myself estranged from sister. YES many have the same history. How long is to long to reconnect, I am 70 it’s been a number of years not to many I feel. Random text nothing else. Life’s short have a happy marriage and wonder do I need to let go. In my heart I know the answer, do you contact to end relationships or just peaceful end. This effects no one but my sister doesn’t myself. KAZ. .

CesiNestPasUnePipe Obsessed with my friend
  • replies: 2

This is sort of an issue I haven't been able to fund much info on and haven't seen others talking about it. But at all times in my life I seem to have one friend who I am OBSESSED with. I think about them all the time, I get really upset when they do... View more

This is sort of an issue I haven't been able to fund much info on and haven't seen others talking about it. But at all times in my life I seem to have one friend who I am OBSESSED with. I think about them all the time, I get really upset when they don't reply to my messages fast and constantly want to send them new messages to tell them what's happening in my life. In the past, this has lead to the friendship breaking down and we no longer speak and now it's happening again and I don't want to lose this friend. But I can't seem to snap out of it for some reason. Like I know that my mood is tied to whether she talks to me or not and how much we talk and I hate it, I'm trying to just do other things to distract me and make plans with other friends but for some reason she's stuck in my head. I'm scared it's some sort of crush which means maybe I'll lose her as my friend because she already has a partner but I don't have any other answers. I just want to separate my emotions from her and not feel sad everytime she is busy and can't respond or feel really happy when she messages me. I don't know, hopefully there's someone here that might be feeling the same thing, I feel really weird about it and don't know how to help make it better .

Mrslmc001 My husband is blaming me for him feeling depressed and has left me
  • replies: 6

My husband has been working away for the last year on and off working up to 17hrs some days driving a semi trailer. First stink in Tasmania for 2 months then we went on a holiday for a week and we’re called and his dad past away he came home and work... View more

My husband has been working away for the last year on and off working up to 17hrs some days driving a semi trailer. First stink in Tasmania for 2 months then we went on a holiday for a week and we’re called and his dad past away he came home and worked flat out then went to work away again working up to 90hrs a week where he works thinks he is the best worker they have ever had and told him he should move there. The weekend covid might have been in Brisbane his boss recommended he stay incase he couldn’t come back. He is supposed to come home every two weeks. He called me upset saying he didn’t know what to do he was in a difficult position but ended up staying. He came home 2 weeks later. We had had words the time before he was home cause all he talked about was his work and how great the people were there I asked him why he bothered coming home which upset him I apologised saying I felt like he didn’t really want to see me. He left saying it was fine and I said I would make it up to him next time he was home. He came home 3 weeks later and told me he was leaving me cause I have depressed him and made him feel like a worthless person and can’t do this anymore with me. 100% my fault not works fault and has put up with me for 10 years and had not been in live with me for 6 months. I had a weekend up there with him 4 weeks prior and everything was fine. What’s has happened to him? Is he exhausted?

Beaser Do You Get Scared Starting a New Relationship.
  • replies: 11

Hi I was wondering is it common to feel nervous and scared when getting into a new relationship. It just terrifies me thinking about how i have been in the past with relationship breakups.I am twelve months into a new relationship that has had some u... View more

Hi I was wondering is it common to feel nervous and scared when getting into a new relationship. It just terrifies me thinking about how i have been in the past with relationship breakups.I am twelve months into a new relationship that has had some ups and downs . I have been open as much as i feel comfortable to talk about ,with my partner regarding my depression and anxiety.It is very scary for me.I guess when you meet someone its easy to gloss over your past single life and look at it with rose coloured glasses and forget about the downsides of being alone. Is it even selfish to bring a person into my life with my depression and anxiety. I hope every one is well . Beaser.

Sadmums Empty Nest Syndrome
  • replies: 4

I have been crying uncontrollably for the past few weeks as my two eldest sons have moved out at within a few weeks of each other. My home has gone from noisy, chaotic, social to just me and my youngest 16 year old who spends most of his time in his ... View more

I have been crying uncontrollably for the past few weeks as my two eldest sons have moved out at within a few weeks of each other. My home has gone from noisy, chaotic, social to just me and my youngest 16 year old who spends most of his time in his room. I am feeling an unbearable grief and feeling that i have lost the family life for ever. I don't know how to cook for just one, to care for just one and just feel empty. Divorced a few years ago so feeling completely alone even though my youngest is here. I have felt grief before but this the worst I have experienced. I have read up on this syndrome and it talks about finding hobbies but I don't want other hobbies. My family was my purpose and what I live for. I have a fullltime job but always did that for my family. I am so desperately sad that I can't sleep.

Bee1998 I don't know what is happening... I feel like my feelings are being invalidated
  • replies: 7

So, I live in Victoria, and the lockdown ended on Friday, and for some reason this made me feel really depressed. I got this intense feeling of sorrow and loneliness, and that I was being left behind. I expressed this to my partner, and despite me ex... View more

So, I live in Victoria, and the lockdown ended on Friday, and for some reason this made me feel really depressed. I got this intense feeling of sorrow and loneliness, and that I was being left behind. I expressed this to my partner, and despite me expressing how shitty I've been feeling, I'm not getting much of a response from him. I have noticed a pattern. Every time I've been really down, or had something bad in my life happen, he almost ghosts me. He becomes distant, blunt with his responses, avoids seeing me, doesn't show any compassion, empathy or love towards me. It leaves me feeling the worst I've ever felt in my life. I just don't understand why he doesn't care? He always tells me that he wants to be by himself whenever I need him in times like this. Instead of sending a quick and simple message such as, "I hope you're okay, I'm here for you." Or "I will see you soon." I just get nothing.... and he always blames me for feeling the way I feel, and says that I'm bringing him down and effecting him. I'm just so tired of people not caring

Ckb I need help to move forward
  • replies: 3

My husband left me after 37 years and 5 kids, they are all adults now. He has been gone a month now and won’t communicate with me at all.. I’m shattered and full of dispair. what do I do now???? Do I see a solicitor, do I drive up to see him? Do I st... View more

My husband left me after 37 years and 5 kids, they are all adults now. He has been gone a month now and won’t communicate with me at all.. I’m shattered and full of dispair. what do I do now???? Do I see a solicitor, do I drive up to see him? Do I stay silent? I have no idea.. my pain is so debilitating…

mimo123 need advice- after divorce
  • replies: 2

I got divorced in feb 2021. during the process i did not kept any contact with my ex. me any my family have blocked her contatc details after 6 months my parents receive a message from my ex writing how ashamed they should be and karma will hit you b... View more

I got divorced in feb 2021. during the process i did not kept any contact with my ex. me any my family have blocked her contatc details after 6 months my parents receive a message from my ex writing how ashamed they should be and karma will hit you back... same msg was sent to me from diffrent no. also few days back one of my close friend received a msg from my ex. this has caused me nd my family stress/ breach of privicy and emotional depression. has enyone gone through similar sitiuation where in even after full and final divorce granted by court, you did receive messages from ex, where in you have no energy left to handel her and contact her....how did you handel the situation. thanks

Intoodeep Ruined trust
  • replies: 1

One night he was out drinking with friends and I told him I was going to sleep as I had work. I woke up with a sick feeling in my stomach. I went to his and found him passed out naked outside. I looked at his phone and he messaged a girl saying he wa... View more

One night he was out drinking with friends and I told him I was going to sleep as I had work. I woke up with a sick feeling in my stomach. I went to his and found him passed out naked outside. I looked at his phone and he messaged a girl saying he wanted to be in bed with her. I woke him up and read it out to him. He looked confused and constantly kept saying he doesn't remember doing that or why he did it. He told me it was the heavy spirits and he will stop drinking them and I took him back. He started drinking lots of beers instead.6 months later he starts drinking every day and starts being in this mood where he ignores me. Eventually he goes from drinking beers to drinking vodka. He brings up some things from my past before I even met him.I tell him it's none of his business who certain people I've slept with are. I tell him to stop.He keeps going. He starts calling me a liar constantly.Eventually he goes out and gets drunk with his mate. He comes home and tries to act like nothing happened. I'm mad and hurt from how he's been talking to me and I start to ignore him. He goes drinking all day and night again.He comes home starts being mean then passes out. I'm feeling really untrustworthy at this point and go through his snapchat. In his recents there's 6 girls names there but in the conversations list all chats have been deleted. I lose it at him. He constantly says he hasn't deleted anything. He's got nothing to hide. Eventually he says yes one girl is his friend and he deleted the convo coz he's worried I would lose my cool at him. I told him how suspicious it is that he deleted messages and if something wasn't going on why hide it expecting to not get caught out. He continues to think he's done nothing wrong. He keeps saying he's never spoken to those other girls and doesn't know why it says they've recently talked because apparently he's never spoken to them ever. I feel so betrayed. I really don't believe a single thing that comes out of his mouth...he's like I want to be with you. I'll delete snapchat. I told him deleting snapchat won't change whether I believe him.I explained how it makes me feel bcoz he tried to be unfaithful before.I'm so hurt. I'm over told he's not lying and then constantly finding out he was. I hate who he is when he drinks.I've been feeling so low for a week now. Started smoking weed again to try numb everything. He's constantly asking me to tell him if I want to be with him or not. I don't know what I want to do. Help.