Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

fifithebunni Here I Am Again...
  • replies: 4

It sneaks up on you, in such a way you're kind of used to it. And then you come to a point where you want to cry so badly but you're numb, and you want to hurt yourself to externalise the pain. I guess I have a lot to be grateful for. I'm blessed wit... View more

It sneaks up on you, in such a way you're kind of used to it. And then you come to a point where you want to cry so badly but you're numb, and you want to hurt yourself to externalise the pain. I guess I have a lot to be grateful for. I'm blessed with an awesome kid with whom I have a great relationship. I've got a home and I don't need to worry about being kicked out by the landlord etc . But, this feeling of failing and hopelessness is so overwhelming I'm physically weakened by it. I despair at how I'm not able to provide my son the opportunities that I think he deserves. He is such a smart and special child. I'm deeply ashamed that he sees me in the state of weakness and he worries about me and wants to help. My biggest embarrassment is my work/job situation. I simply don't know how to break out and improve my earning capacity. I stare at my CV and don't know how to sell myself. I suppose my confidence is just completely shattered. Have been doing 2 jobs over the last few years, and neither brings good money or growth. And yet I have no real prospect of doing something completely different. If you ask me what I have passion for, I don't even know what it's like to have passion for anything. I think I'm so sick and tired of myself asking the same questions over and over again, and never have had clarity and sense of direction. I feel I'm eternally lost and stuck in the void. I am mostly happy to be by myself, I guess I do still love life. And yet there are moments I so crave to have someone to confide to, someone to bounce ideas off, someone to laugh with, or simply someone to give me a cuddle. I don't even know where to begin in finding that special someone. Tried online dating, seasons come seasons go. As much as I can approach it with good humour, open mind and general compassion, I find it harder and harder to not be cynical. I always believe that life in itself is the most previous thing and worth living. But this pain, numbness, sense of despair and hopelessness is hard to shake off. Is it simply somethings one should learn to live with? Stoicism? I guess I still dream of shining my light in some way. I just don't know what that way is, and worry that the flickering is getting too dim.

believe248 Is my partner depressed?
  • replies: 2

Most of the time my partner of 2+ years is in a really good mood, he makes jokes & acts silly, exercises, is really affectionate and caring. But a couple of times a month, or sometimes even once a week, his mood suddenly takes a nose dive. For a coup... View more

Most of the time my partner of 2+ years is in a really good mood, he makes jokes & acts silly, exercises, is really affectionate and caring. But a couple of times a month, or sometimes even once a week, his mood suddenly takes a nose dive. For a couple of days he totally withdraws, stops eating properly, avoids me or when he does talk to me he's cold or even sometimes rude ir snappy. He is in this mood right now, i believe triggered by the stress he is feeling from losing his job due to Covid. Im not sure if it is depression, given typically he'll bounce back to normal within a day or so. I really feel for him during this tough time, but I am also a sufferer of anxiety and being suddenly ignored and snapped at makes me really stressed. Its like emotional whiplash. Im trying my hardest to be patient and focus on my own happiness, but it's hard not to feel on edge. Also I'm pregnant with our first child , and it terrifies me as to what will happen if we can't work this out. I would appreciate any advice as I'm a bit lost on what to do.

BrendonG93 I don't know how to get out of this headspace

Hey all. I'm a 27yr old gay man, and have been out since I was in my early teens. Throughout most of my school life, I was bullied frequently about being openly gay, which took its toll on my every day life. I feel it is probably a part of the reason... View more

Hey all. I'm a 27yr old gay man, and have been out since I was in my early teens. Throughout most of my school life, I was bullied frequently about being openly gay, which took its toll on my every day life. I feel it is probably a part of the reason I'm here tonight typing this out. Since leaving school, I've been struggling with self-confidence issues, constant feeling of loneliness, motivation issues, memory decline, lack of concentration, sleeplessness / inability to wake up feeling refreshed, minimal appetite, gaming / movie addiction, distancing myself from family & friends... Even right now I'm struggling to think of what's been going on. The last 10 years or so are, for lack of a better word, blurry. I've even gotten to a point where I was considering contacting the local Army base to see if they would put me through training without being enlisted to join, just to try to snap myself out of this mindset - and to me, that sounds extreme. I've tried seeing a psychologist, at my GPs recommendation, and found that it didn't seem to help me - mainly because of cost, and they would give me 'homework' to do, which doesn't work well with motivational issues. I know change starts with me, as they say, but I simply cannot kick this lazy, lonely, depressing mindset to be able to commit to changing things. Part of me wants to hire my own personal trainer to come around, kick me out of bed each morning and force me into doing things, hence why I thought about the Army training camps. Loneliness is definitely one of the biggest feelings I have a lot of the time, even when I'm with my closest friends. I often find myself swiping through apps like Grindr, Tinder, Hinge etc trying to find 'Mr Right' in an attempt to soothe the lonely feeling and lack of fulfilment that I have. Among other issues, I don't even know what career path I would like to follow. I used to have a huge passion for music production, but lost interest in that after I left school. I thought about going into social work recently, as I feel I would excel in that field, especially working with LGBT people, considering I have life experience - but I need to fix myself before I can help fix others, right? What do I do? I'm totally lost. I can't even save money to move out of home because I compulsively spend. Plus I don't have my license either, but that's a separate issue, or could it be related to my motivation? Who knows. Any advice, any thoughts - please send them through. Thanks, Brendon.

mocha delight Should I still feel this way?

Should I still be feeling so up and down while being on a antidepressants? I don’t think still having family drama on one side of my family helps which I have no control over and don’t see the drama ending anytime soon. And still don’t feel anything ... View more

Should I still be feeling so up and down while being on a antidepressants? I don’t think still having family drama on one side of my family helps which I have no control over and don’t see the drama ending anytime soon. And still don’t feel anything since my grandma passed away the same week I started on antidepressants. Sleeping wise has improved since my gp prescribed something to help me sleep at night.

kjs Depression and pregnancy

Hi all, I was diagnosed with depression and social anxiety when I was 18. Since then I have had many ups and downs and am experiencing another depressive period at the moment. My partner and I both would love to start a family. It has been a life-lon... View more

Hi all, I was diagnosed with depression and social anxiety when I was 18. Since then I have had many ups and downs and am experiencing another depressive period at the moment. My partner and I both would love to start a family. It has been a life-long goal of mine as I love working with and being involved with children. I'm seeking other people's opinions of experience as I am terrified. I want to be able to provide the adequate care for my baby but am frightened of the depression and what I might be like during and after pregnancy. I also worry about having my children miss out on things due to my mental health. I spoke with my psychiatrist about it briefly today and he suggested staying on my medications because he thinks it would be too risky to come off them and said it would be safe to do so. I had booked an appointment for next week to have my Implanon removed but after feeling so low again recently I'm thinking I'll go in and discuss my concerns with my gp and remove it at a later date when I'm feeling well again. Any advice would be great! Have a nice day ☺

eunha Seriously feel like no one can ever help me..

Hi everyone, Just as the title suggests I really dont think anyone can help me. Ever. Life has been down for the past 3 years ranging from failed relationships, financial problems, family drama and so forth. Nothing has ever been great for me at all.... View more

Hi everyone, Just as the title suggests I really dont think anyone can help me. Ever. Life has been down for the past 3 years ranging from failed relationships, financial problems, family drama and so forth. Nothing has ever been great for me at all. I feel like im living my own personal hell. I moved out of my hometown to get a fresh start a few years back but I was wrong. This insane cloud of darkness always follows me around wherever I go. I look at my bestfriend whom I live with and he’s got it going for him. Picture perfect relationship, little to no family problems, stable job, awesome friends etc. And then theres me. I have no other friends, failed relationships (apparently im not man enough) boring, lost my job again (not my fault but it always comes down to circumstances like right now with Covid-19). It’s tough. I can’t handle it anymore. I can’t sleep, I rarely eat, I started smoking to calm me down which kind of helps me relax when I feel breakdowns are about to happen. I tried seeking professional help but I ended up getting dumb internet mental exercises because my hormone levels are stable and normal. Why is the world against me? I have no clue. I can’t count how many times I’ve tried ending it on my own. I’m so envious of other people. I’m literally living hell on earth. My own personal hell designed to make me go insane. Now I don’t know where else to express my feelings. No one believes me. You wanna know why? It’s because it’s all in my head. Im literally trying my best. Im just not good enough for anything. Or anyone for that matter... I really don’t get it. Nothing goes in favour for me at all. Im so frustrated. I get used by people due to my supposed kindness. And according to my friend I’m not a good person because of my temper. Which rarely comes out but once my long patience is gone I can chew someones head off. Happened when I snapped at him and his friend for not respecting my privacy inside my own house. Im still in the wrong. Im always wrong. Im left handed so maybe thats why nothing is right. In the end im still alone. Theres a huge hole of emptiness inside of me. A void. I can’t care any less about myself anymore and purposely trying to deteriorate myself instead of the easy way out. That way, at least I can’t embarrass my parents when I go. I feel like a shadow. I can only be seen in the light but disappears in the darkness. The listener that no one wants to hear out. In the end, I’ll always be the one that’s forgotten

Cocotree New Member Anxiety/ Depression mini story
  • replies: 7

Hi there, I needed to write my feelings down or thoughts more so. I suffer from Generalised Anxiety and Depression. I've had this since i was in High school, i had several panic attacks where it causes vomiting and i don't eat for a few days. I have ... View more

Hi there, I needed to write my feelings down or thoughts more so. I suffer from Generalised Anxiety and Depression. I've had this since i was in High school, i had several panic attacks where it causes vomiting and i don't eat for a few days. I have ended up in hospital previously as it got bad at one stage i didn't eat anything for 4 days straight barley any water and i was continually throwing up as well. The doctor just gave me IV drips and advised i needed to see a psychologist. I already was previously when it first began, i was not aware of what it was in beginning and went to seek help from a GP he then referred me. I'm 21 this year i have had a great ease for a few months then i keep getting randomly sucked into the ugly cycle of depression. It would randomly arise and i just struggle under the weight of it, i am still seeing my psychologist (i had taken a break due to covid-19, but had messaged him to make an appt). My mother also has anxiety and i find it hard to communicate with her when i am like this, the rest of my family don't understand what to do or cope with me when im like this. So i tried to pretend when i am near them, i put on a fake smile. I have a best friend who helps me generally during these times, however, i have no one else!... i can't talk to anyone else about this and i also feel the sense of burden that my anxiety or depression can have. I am currently studying in my 4th year of Bachelors for teaching, i don't want to take medication as i know there are side affects of it such as addiction. I don't want to cope that way, i tried natural supplements that are supposed to calm the mind and overall balance of mood. I am honestly just really tried, i feel trapped, weak, hopeless and very anxious. The crazy thing is I'm so mindful aware of what i should do, or could do but i lack the incentive or energy to do this. Honestly i am just tried of having to repeat this ongoing cycle, it never leaves me alone i'll be really good and control it for a few months for example; 6, then i'd spiral from something random, like family issues, or stress from everyday life. This is just a brief summary of my story, thank you for anyone who was able to read this! Are there any support groups i can join? to have people to chat to about this? any Suggestions?

Encourager Depression and lack of sleep.
  • replies: 3

Hi everybody. This is my first post, so I will try and make it brief. Although I seem to have suffered some form of depression most of my adult life, lately I have noticed it is very hard to have a full 6-8 hours sleep at night. I often have short bu... View more

Hi everybody. This is my first post, so I will try and make it brief. Although I seem to have suffered some form of depression most of my adult life, lately I have noticed it is very hard to have a full 6-8 hours sleep at night. I often have short bursts of sleep for 2-3 hours and then have a short rest during the following day. I wondered if anyone else has experienced similar changes in their pattern of sleep. Hope everyone is finding some comfort in the present pandemic seeming to flatten out.

Yelah90 All over the place.

I've been diagnose wirh depression, anxiety BBD and I exhibit some eating disorder habit.. But not yet been diagnose with an Eating disorder. Now BPD has been mention a few times.. Which makes me depress because no one knows what's wrong with me. And... View more

I've been diagnose wirh depression, anxiety BBD and I exhibit some eating disorder habit.. But not yet been diagnose with an Eating disorder. Now BPD has been mention a few times.. Which makes me depress because no one knows what's wrong with me. And I'm just tired of life. Cause I want everything sorted and on track. But with me losing my crap every 3 or so days I lose hope. That I will ever be okay. The question is will I be okay??

Guest_7878 high functioning depression
  • replies: 5

hey there, i made this thread for people who can go through day to day life and get out of bed but still feel empty and sad or just numb/tired/done or anything like that. depression obviously comes in a lot of different forms but those of you with mi... View more

hey there, i made this thread for people who can go through day to day life and get out of bed but still feel empty and sad or just numb/tired/done or anything like that. depression obviously comes in a lot of different forms but those of you with mild or moderate depression that mostly affects your mental world/motivations/outlook rather than taking a severe toll on your daily requirements are still so extremely valid and deserve as much support and love as you need. please feel free to talk about any of your experiences/feelings here, open to anyone love you all