Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

Zelda_30 Covid, being bullied & death
  • replies: 2

Thank you so much for approving me. I suffer from chronic anxiety and depression. Living in Melbourne atm in iso and am one of the lucky few that have been able to work from home this whole time. I lost my best friend, my kitty in June of this year, ... View more

Thank you so much for approving me. I suffer from chronic anxiety and depression. Living in Melbourne atm in iso and am one of the lucky few that have been able to work from home this whole time. I lost my best friend, my kitty in June of this year, one of my coworkers has been bullying me, even remotely it still happens. And last weekend the partner of a close friend of mine took their own life. Just really struggling with all of that atm and instead of working past couple days I signed out of all work communications and got drunk. Today I woke up at 4am and started drinking again. Probably going to chuck a sickie tomorrow. Sorry if this post isnt allowed I read the rules and Im pretty sure Im not breaking any but sorry if I am. Just needed to reach out to others who get what anxiety and depression feels like ⚘

Elizabeth32 Has anybody experienced feelings of jealousy and anxiety together,
  • replies: 1

Just wanted to reach out to anyone for advice that has experienced jealousy and anxiety altogether. Especially during this pandemic I’ve been feeling lonely and seeing family members in relationships has often made me feel lonely and then I get anxie... View more

Just wanted to reach out to anyone for advice that has experienced jealousy and anxiety altogether. Especially during this pandemic I’ve been feeling lonely and seeing family members in relationships has often made me feel lonely and then I get anxiety about never finding a partner and then I get flashbacks of all my bad past experiences with my ex’s. In turn I withdraw from talking to others and keep everything bottled up. Has anyone experienced this? Is it normal? How can I overcome it?

gunnedo Anxiety and decisions

Making decisions. i suffer from really bad anxiety that seems to be getting worse atm. If I sit down and write all the things I am anxious about I come up with big and little issues. They all get jumbled in my head and I can’t think straight. Writing... View more

Making decisions. i suffer from really bad anxiety that seems to be getting worse atm. If I sit down and write all the things I am anxious about I come up with big and little issues. They all get jumbled in my head and I can’t think straight. Writing them out helps me see what I can do something about and what I can’t. It gets so exhausting to think about doing much at all. Someone said you are stronger than you think, hard to remember that.? I can do things with the anxiety happening but it is so tiring

kristine434 anybody share this experience?

Hi everyone Ever since a major change in my life 10 years ago I've adopted a new way of living. I have started to live with chronic hypervigilance but I wouldnt say its from PTSD because I havent really had anything traumatic happen to me. But I have... View more

Hi everyone Ever since a major change in my life 10 years ago I've adopted a new way of living. I have started to live with chronic hypervigilance but I wouldnt say its from PTSD because I havent really had anything traumatic happen to me. But I have read hypervigilance can be caused by extreme anxiety not just PTSD. Ive adopted a jump response when anyone touches me without telling me prior that they will touch me. This is what I believe: as a consequence of living with this chronic hypervigilance I shut down whenever a new pressure is applied or something new comes into my life be it work or study. It makes me crash down in exhaustion like I can't tolerate the extra stress. I then withdrawal from everything and everyone. This has begun to affect my life and is only making my life worse and makes me feel so alone. Has anyone ever experienced something like this?

Smithy999 Mental health repairs

Hi, i am 24 years old, and i have been working on trying to improve my mental health for quite some time now. Everytime i get a bit further, i get kicked in the guts. I just want to enjoy my life and have lots of fun. I believe mental health is a set... View more

Hi, i am 24 years old, and i have been working on trying to improve my mental health for quite some time now. Everytime i get a bit further, i get kicked in the guts. I just want to enjoy my life and have lots of fun. I believe mental health is a setback, not an excuse. I believe the causes of my deppression and anxiety are having career goals interupted by a teen pregnancy, followed by an extremely premature baby including a traumatic birth (i think i have undiagnosed ptsd) also a long stay in the neonatal intensive care unit. Not long after, my mum died from cancer. I am struggling to accept this. I do not like my dads new girlfriend. I have been polite and tried to not let it affect me, however this has not worked. I have learnt to control my pannick attacks, and then i was informed that she would be moving into my mums house, a couple of days after her 3rd death anniversary. Now my pannick attacks are back. Ive just been trying so hard and setting my self up tp be on track mentally and it keeps failing. I dont want to loose my jobs from having pannick attacks and having to leave work

Sweesoft Anxiety amidst COVID-19

This pandemic has caused so much anxiety to people all over the globe. What are the things you do to fight anxiety and keep your mind off the negative impact of COVID-19?

This pandemic has caused so much anxiety to people all over the globe. What are the things you do to fight anxiety and keep your mind off the negative impact of COVID-19?

T_93 Help with Anxiety
  • replies: 8

Hi there, im not really sure what to do ( previously wrote this in another forum but wasn’t sure I did it right) I don’t want to worry my family anymore as they know I have battled with anxiety and really bad depression in the past and feel as though... View more

Hi there, im not really sure what to do ( previously wrote this in another forum but wasn’t sure I did it right) I don’t want to worry my family anymore as they know I have battled with anxiety and really bad depression in the past and feel as though I need to work it out on my own. i just started a new job in customer service, and it is making me feel sick to my stomach...I get so scared I’m going to get into trouble or something bad will happen plus I think I hate dealing with people and how rude they can be. My anxiety is almost getting the better of me but I’m trying to fight it and remain as calm as I can possibly be! Iv started waking up weird hours of the night thinking about the new job and all I am thinking about is the job but then my thoughts start to escalate and I think about a whole bunch of other things and bad things that I have gone through and tell myself I am failing and I’m not good enough....Iv been told I put pressure on myself and I believe that I do a little bit. however, I just hate feeling this way because there are so many people out there that have much worse problems and I feel I am being selfish and not grateful for the blessing I have in my life. I am gay and my family are so supportive and incredible and same with my friends. I’m just not sure what to do and wonder if anyone has any advise. thank you for whoever is reading this and sorry for the rant! T.

Liffey01 I can't get out of this funk and it's held me back
  • replies: 5

Hey everyone, For the majority of my 20's I have been constantly battling with myself to find that inner peace and I don't know what else I need to do to get back to being baseline happy. From the outside looking in it would appear I have the world a... View more

Hey everyone, For the majority of my 20's I have been constantly battling with myself to find that inner peace and I don't know what else I need to do to get back to being baseline happy. From the outside looking in it would appear I have the world at my feet. I come from a good family, great social life, a decent job, girlfriend, living abroad etc. But despite all these good things internally I'm a mess. I've always been able to put on a strong face but in the last few years it's getting harder and harder. I have taken many steps to try and fix the problem but nothing works. Counselling, mediation, psychology books, eating healthy, continuing to play sports and exercise, limiting social media, the list could go on but nothing works in the long term. I was once an energetic and charming person, now I pretend to be. Life never got me down and if it tried I was always able to get through and be positive. But these days the smallest of inconveniences hit me harder. I get lost in deep thought more often and it's usually something negative. I've even started whispering to myself during these deep thoughts and friends and family have noticed. I think I'm starting to lose my mind. Nothing makes me truly happy anymore. I can't tell whether I am actually laughing at something or I'm pretending to save face and to avoid questions from people. The things I tend to focus on during my far way thoughts are my job, certain relationships, my regrets (many of these), my view on the world and how I view myself. I feel like a fraud in work. I find myself in a profession that I never planned for and have no interest in. I would love to know what it is that would fulfill me career wise. I'm not looking for that passion job that influencers would have you believe is important, only something that I would be competent at and make me proud at the end of the day. I question some friendships constantly and I feel like I've become the bottom rung of the ladder with my friends. It seems every little mistake, even if it's not a mistake, I make is a big deal. And when I try pointing out something they've done I'm shot down by everyone. No one is genuine. The regrets are long and I'm ashamed of myself because of some of them. The world is a messed up place and people aren't as friendly as they use to be, including me. I don't like myself deep down. I want to again but how do I forgive myself?

Ironman247 Hii

i am a best blloger.

i am a best blloger.

doingitforme Anxiety and renovating
  • replies: 5

hello first time poster. Ive bee to the doc to get a mental health plan but im onto week 3 in waiting for the psychologist to ring me. We decided against medication but i didnt think id have to wait this long. Im so ready to deal with what im dealing... View more

hello first time poster. Ive bee to the doc to get a mental health plan but im onto week 3 in waiting for the psychologist to ring me. We decided against medication but i didnt think id have to wait this long. Im so ready to deal with what im dealing with but i just cant on my own anymore. We are in a very long process of renovating an old house. We have been living here 3 years now and i have got some fibro board tested for asbestos which came back positive. I have been having deliberating anxiety over how much we have been exposed to. For the past 3 years we have been living without care with fluffy raw edges of it right at our main door which gets slammed onto it, picked at, rubbed where we tuck a towel between the gaps to stop drafts. I have 3 small kids and i am petrified that we have been exposed to so many of those fibres. Since i have taken measures to seal the edges but that doesn't help the 3 years we have been exposed to it... i did some research on asbestos which has made my anxiety 10000 times worse coz no level of asbestos exposure is safe... i can't live the next 20 years worrying about getting a related disease. I cant eat properly, i cant sleep and my poor kids don't know what's wrong with me. I feel so stupid about it... any tips???