Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

Marto9014 Anxiety/Fatigue
  • replies: 4

Hi all Have been having a tough time of late. Hav had a history of health anxiety (including the well worn path of MS testing). After getting the all clear, I was travelling well. Suddenly I got either a minor stomach bug or an IBS flare up. Either w... View more

Hi all Have been having a tough time of late. Hav had a history of health anxiety (including the well worn path of MS testing). After getting the all clear, I was travelling well. Suddenly I got either a minor stomach bug or an IBS flare up. Either way, I was out of action for a week. 3 weeks on, I’m still quite fatigued and feeling lightheaded/out of it. Kinda like a walking zombie. As per usual, I did the google search and came to the conclusion that I have chronic fatigue syndrome and I’ll be like this forever. Really frustrating as it’s all I can focus on and think about. Has anyone else gone through lengthy periods of time with fatigue? I didn’t feel overly anxious when this kicked in but understand anxiety can manifest in many forms. cheers

Millie93 Dealing with health anxiety for 14 years
  • replies: 1

Hi everyone I’m new here. im Millie I’m 27 and have suffered from health anxiety since I was 14. It started when I saw my mum seizuring in her bed and went into a diabetic coma. She was given a 30% chance to live and I stayed with a family friend for... View more

Hi everyone I’m new here. im Millie I’m 27 and have suffered from health anxiety since I was 14. It started when I saw my mum seizuring in her bed and went into a diabetic coma. She was given a 30% chance to live and I stayed with a family friend for 3 weeks thankfully my mum pulled through and came home. This is when I first noticed the physical signs I got tingling in my finger tips and knees. I was so young I had no idea what anxiety was so I assumed it was cancer. My mum took me to the doctor and he said I had an anxiety attack. This was on going for around 6 months I lost a lot of weight. I eventually went into remission as I call it for around 3 years. Then in 2011 I was 18 my Aunty died ( my mums sister) and I had a panic attack which lasted another 6 months I again lost a lot of weight. Then I felt good for about 3 years then at the wnd of 2015 I went back into my old health anxiety ways and have been that way ever since. I have a 10 month old son who is the light of my life and since having him my anxiety has gotten even worse! I think really bad things like what happens if I die where is he going to go will just partner be a good single dad . And all these traumatic scenarios pop up in my head I hate it so much! No I think I’m going to drop dead of a heart attack. I’ve had my heart checked last year and this year and everything is fine but I still think something is wrong like my mind won’t drop it! I just want to stop living in fear and be happy for my son. I see a psychologist on Thursday so that’ll be good but it’s so expensive I really can only afford to go once a month. It’s so frustrating I just can’t wait to be cured! Anyone else in the same boat as me especially with children I’d love to chat thanks Millie

Lone Projecting into the future

I can’t stop ruminating about what is coming in the future, I am constantly on guard and worried. For example I worried the people at work will ask me to complete a task I don’t know how to do and I will be found out as useless. Does anyone know how ... View more

I can’t stop ruminating about what is coming in the future, I am constantly on guard and worried. For example I worried the people at work will ask me to complete a task I don’t know how to do and I will be found out as useless. Does anyone know how to stop these thoughts?

Adeo90 What would you do?

I’m currently in a job I hate. It’s my first job for 5 months and I feel more stressed and depressed now compared to when I was not working. I suffer from PTSD and GAD. My symptoms have been insomnia, heaviness in chest and feeling so numb I can’t cr... View more

I’m currently in a job I hate. It’s my first job for 5 months and I feel more stressed and depressed now compared to when I was not working. I suffer from PTSD and GAD. My symptoms have been insomnia, heaviness in chest and feeling so numb I can’t cry or release any emotion. Usually I would put my mental health first before anything but it’s really hard times atm I need the money and a part of me feels guilty for wanting to quit this job because I know there are so many people out there struggling to find work. What would you do if you were in my position?

Tannie Anxiety depression can I leave work and get centrelink

Hi, My anxiety and depression come to boiling point ever Sunday. I start to feel so sick. Every muscle, joints and blinding headaches. I am the only one in my household that works. My husband lost his job with covid. We are both in our 50s and have o... View more

Hi, My anxiety and depression come to boiling point ever Sunday. I start to feel so sick. Every muscle, joints and blinding headaches. I am the only one in my household that works. My husband lost his job with covid. We are both in our 50s and have only held support type roles. Money is a serious issue for us. So we absolutely need me to work. It's getting harder and harder. I am seeing a psychologist and have a mental health plan. Im taking antidepressants. I want to quit. I know I need to because its just too much feeling like this every Sunday. Because money adds another level of stress and concern I am too scared. Would I get centrelink or need to wait 6 weeks? Please give me advice

G12345 My anxiety feelings
  • replies: 5

I’m feeling low and it anxiety its making me upset I sick of dealing with it can someone help me keep fighting it I just don’t want to deal with alone I’ll scared of my attacks I cry so during my attacks I feel so heavy and weak I don’t feel like I d... View more

I’m feeling low and it anxiety its making me upset I sick of dealing with it can someone help me keep fighting it I just don’t want to deal with alone I’ll scared of my attacks I cry so during my attacks I feel so heavy and weak I don’t feel like I deserve to get better help me see a way out I’m trapped

Bronsm76 How do I overcome a cycle of anxiety and depression
  • replies: 2

Hi, I have had a situation where I’m stuck between anxiety and depression. It’s either one or the other. At the moment it’s depression, which came on rather suddenly after weeks of being anxious about having panic attacks when I go out. The panic fea... View more

Hi, I have had a situation where I’m stuck between anxiety and depression. It’s either one or the other. At the moment it’s depression, which came on rather suddenly after weeks of being anxious about having panic attacks when I go out. The panic fear became so strong that I wound up very avoidant. Now I’m afraid that I’ll stay depressed. Is there a way to achieve harmony? My family is unsupportive and I have a gp and a psych that don’t really help. I take medication and have tried all of the therapies (well not all). I just can’t achieve balance and happiness and see a purpose. It’s such a lonely place.

009 Anxiety
  • replies: 5

Hi, I have developed some anxiety in the last few years. My main problem is driving situations especially going over bridges and going around trucks. I have a panic attack, shaky hards, escalated heart rate and light headed. I am also a really bad pa... View more

Hi, I have developed some anxiety in the last few years. My main problem is driving situations especially going over bridges and going around trucks. I have a panic attack, shaky hards, escalated heart rate and light headed. I am also a really bad passenger. I think I'm just scared of situations that have risk. I have only been like this in the last 2 years but im really concerned. Any ideas? Thanks

artiste9909 Health Anxiety Issues
  • replies: 6

I don't know what to do anymore, been having bad headaches/blurry vision and was diagnosed with GAD. Recently, I went to a well respected neurologist where he looked over my past CT scans and what not and told me that an MRI was not needed because of... View more

I don't know what to do anymore, been having bad headaches/blurry vision and was diagnosed with GAD. Recently, I went to a well respected neurologist where he looked over my past CT scans and what not and told me that an MRI was not needed because of clinical and diagnostic yield and high costs. He also assured me that what I had was merely migraines and tension, and not to worry about fainting etc. However, this did not assure me one bit, in fact it only made me more worried. Having thoughts like, "What if the tumor somehow grew after the last CT scan?", "I did not ask the Dr all the questions I had in mind", "I lead a relatively healthy life, how can I have headaches this bad?", "I don't feel anxious at times, so why am I having headaches?" and lots of worse thoughts. It has gotten to the point where I would just lie in bed, tell myself that I won't see the next week and that even if I do, how am I going to manage these headaches and issues. I do not know where to turn to or how to start. I know that I have to see a psychologist for my anxiety, but what if there is something else that needs to be checked? Plus even if I do see the psychologist, not as if I would be better straight after, then what? After all, how could I have headaches even when I don't feel anxious? At this point, I have spent so much money on CT scans, consults and medical stuff (I am a student so I don't have much in excess), pissed off everyone around me with my constant nagging for options and assurance and I have completely lost faith in my physical body. Just feel so hopeless. I think one of the worst part about this is that I physically feel unwell, with the pounding headaches and other symptoms, but nothing is medically "wrong" with me. Thank you for reading this. Sorry for sounding so negative.

Lil_b Lockdown lifted causing anxiety

In the last 24 hours, Melbournes lock down laws have been lifted, to which at first I was so excited about it, quickly called my hairdresser, texted friends and so forth, however within the hour I found myself crying and all the societal pressures I ... View more

In the last 24 hours, Melbournes lock down laws have been lifted, to which at first I was so excited about it, quickly called my hairdresser, texted friends and so forth, however within the hour I found myself crying and all the societal pressures I put on to myself came creeping in so rapidly and now I find myself today with the freedom I have been longing for for these last 4 months...locked away in my room not wanting to do anything. I don't have secure work at the moment, I am only studying, and I am embarrassed at the prospect that as my housemates/friends go back to work that I won't join them for god knows how long and i'll fall behind in life. My anxiety has enjoyed the predictability of each day that lockdown has offered. I am by no means wishing it to be extended as I am aware of the hideousness Corona has caused..but is there anyone else who relates to what I am feeling? How are you coping with it?