Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

Kelsey_A Anxiety
  • replies: 5

Hi I’m Kelsey I’m from Adelaide im interested and getting involved because I understand. and feelings. the situations what happens to people . Myself I struggle with anxiety and depression and I want to help others. People don’t need go through it al... View more

Hi I’m Kelsey I’m from Adelaide im interested and getting involved because I understand. and feelings. the situations what happens to people . Myself I struggle with anxiety and depression and I want to help others. People don’t need go through it alone.

IllThinkofSomething I Don't Think My Family Loves Me Anymore
  • replies: 4

Hey, I'm quite new to this, hopefully I'm posting in the right place. Recently I've felt like nobody really cares about me. I have people I hang out with at school but to be honest I don't think they know much about me. I'm also gay and I'm too scare... View more

Hey, I'm quite new to this, hopefully I'm posting in the right place. Recently I've felt like nobody really cares about me. I have people I hang out with at school but to be honest I don't think they know much about me. I'm also gay and I'm too scared to tell them or my family, so I always feel like I'm lying to them about myself and I feel horrible, even though I know I probably shouldn't. My anxiety has also gotten quite bad lately and I keep on having panic attacks but I always try to hide them from my family because I know they probably won't understand. My Mum already looks ashamed of me when she takes me to my therapist so I don't like talking about anything with her. Not that my family isn't nice, its just that we aren't that close. My brother definitely doesn't like me and I'm not sure if it's something I did. I always try to be really nice to him and I try to respect his privacy. But I've always had trouble trying to understand things like social cues and I never really know what to say to people, so I might have said something weird or offensive without realizing it. I also try to talk to him about things I know we are both interested in like physics or maths and I also give him small gifts like chocolates or something but he normally tells me to leave his room. I know this probably seems normal given our age (we are both teenagers) but everyone at school seems to have some sort of relationship with their sibling when we don't really have one. I can't help but think that I did something and that there is something deeply wrong with me. I've never even connected with a single human before because I don't know what people mean when they say things and I don't really understand how to talk to people. I guess I just feel really lonely and isolated, and I don't think my family really loves me anymore because sometimes I get extremely stressed out and I just want to be alone and I probably come across as slightly rude when they try to talk to me, so they probably think I don't like them either which isn't true at all. Hopefully this makes sense, thanks for reading

Deedee82 Anxiety
  • replies: 1

Hi there, first time posting. I am suffering from really bad anxiety. I don’t know why but I have been suffering from anxiety the past few months. It’s gotton so bad that some days I don’t think I can even go to work. does anyone have a good tips on ... View more

Hi there, first time posting. I am suffering from really bad anxiety. I don’t know why but I have been suffering from anxiety the past few months. It’s gotton so bad that some days I don’t think I can even go to work. does anyone have a good tips on how to manage it ? My GP put me on an SSRI

potentbee worried my husband is going to die on me.
  • replies: 2

Every morning, i fear that my husband isn't going to wake up i start over thinking crazy thoughts like how i would live with out him situations eg: where i would live. There isn't anything wrong with my husband he is fine pretty much healthy apart fr... View more

Every morning, i fear that my husband isn't going to wake up i start over thinking crazy thoughts like how i would live with out him situations eg: where i would live. There isn't anything wrong with my husband he is fine pretty much healthy apart from Cirrhosis of liver & hep c. i lost my best friend from cancer 18 years ago, i lost my pop in 2018. I think this thought of him dying comes from that? It scares me that his just not going to wake up one morning. I could not cope with losing him. he is 52 and i am 39. I really cant explain where this worry is coming from.

Betta Feeling betta

It's been a very hard week, food poisoning, family drama, my husband is worried about China and Taiwan where he lives right now until our visa is granted, and an OCD meltdown. Work is so supportive and caring makes me feel very cared for. Went for a ... View more

It's been a very hard week, food poisoning, family drama, my husband is worried about China and Taiwan where he lives right now until our visa is granted, and an OCD meltdown. Work is so supportive and caring makes me feel very cared for. Went for a bike ride and it blew away all bad thoughts and had dinner at a good friend's house. This is helping too so I m glad I joined this forum. Thank you.

Azura66 Physical Symptoms a year after panic attack

Hi there, I am new to the forum. I experienced my first panic attack last year in August which left me with chronic anxiety for around 2 months. I managed to get myself back through the use of many strategies and naturopathy. However I still have som... View more

Hi there, I am new to the forum. I experienced my first panic attack last year in August which left me with chronic anxiety for around 2 months. I managed to get myself back through the use of many strategies and naturopathy. However I still have some residual anxiety which is hard ask never had it before. But I also feel some physical Symptoms like feeling super fatigued to the point where my arm muscles feel achey and tingling. I never had it before. Did anyone else get this? It's like my body went into shock and is still recovering from the attack? I hope this makes sense. It's just frustrating as I feel I'm left with the physical Symptoms.

Summer_Charm Anxiety during counselling
  • replies: 3

I’ve started trauma counselling and EMDR but each time we try to start the process I completely shut down and my anxiety ramps up. I’m trying to work through medical emergency trauma memories but I’m having trouble with it. I have become so anxious d... View more

I’ve started trauma counselling and EMDR but each time we try to start the process I completely shut down and my anxiety ramps up. I’m trying to work through medical emergency trauma memories but I’m having trouble with it. I have become so anxious during the session that I physically cannot speak so can’t tell my psych how I’m feeling. Then it just makes me feel weak and useless!

Helpneeded786 Long term sick pay from work
  • replies: 3

Hi everyone first time poster i am currently on 2 week sick leave from work due to a bullying boss, I am still not right state of mind and would like to extended the leave! Has anyone managed to do this and what does the process look Like thanks agai... View more

Hi everyone first time poster i am currently on 2 week sick leave from work due to a bullying boss, I am still not right state of mind and would like to extended the leave! Has anyone managed to do this and what does the process look Like thanks again

Blueyblues New puppy anxiety

I am a 30 year old who has suffered with anxiety my whole life. I am on a low dose of medication and I would say that my anxiety is largely under control. For a while now, I have been desperate to get a dog. I have been visiting dog parks to watch th... View more

I am a 30 year old who has suffered with anxiety my whole life. I am on a low dose of medication and I would say that my anxiety is largely under control. For a while now, I have been desperate to get a dog. I have been visiting dog parks to watch the dog and looking daily at rescue sites. My husband and I both work full time and my husband also studies. We agreed to wait a few more months but I came across a beautiful rescue puppy. We thought we were visiting but the rescue said we had to take her home in the next few days or someone else was bound to take her. We were completely unprepared and had nothing for her. We quickly gathered everything we needed and within hours of her being ours my anxiety became severe. I was worried about her eating something in the yard, I was worried I was not training her properly. I’m just so anxious about her. She was vomiting in her first few days here (change of food) so that was a big trigger). We’ve had her for 2.5 weeks now and I am so overwhelmed and so exhausted and so so anxious. I love her but I’m terrified I made a mistake. I’m seeking professional help for myself and her haha but I don’t know what to do while I wait for my appointment.

JakeM13 Dizzy

Last night I had a dizzy spell which is something I’ve never had before, I’m wondering if someone can explain to me what it’s like when you become dizzy and it is caused by anxiety because it happened to me suddenly after dinner whilst I was driving ... View more

Last night I had a dizzy spell which is something I’ve never had before, I’m wondering if someone can explain to me what it’s like when you become dizzy and it is caused by anxiety because it happened to me suddenly after dinner whilst I was driving home and I couldn’t stop feeling the dizziness which of course made my anxiety much worse and then I think it continued to make the dizziness worse to the point where I couldn’t tel if it was something serious or if I was overreacting. I was seriously worried and I don’t know how to cope with these things, I have only been recently diagnosed with having generalised anxiety a few months ago and some days I have no idea what to do or where to go, I just want to hide at home and curl up into a ball.