Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

KERLIA Driving anxiety
  • replies: 9

Hello, recently ive been feeling pressured to get my licence. I got my learners licence a while ago and seeing all my friends get their P's, they keep asking me when I'm going to get mine, im stressed. I've done a few lessons with an instructor but I... View more

Hello, recently ive been feeling pressured to get my licence. I got my learners licence a while ago and seeing all my friends get their P's, they keep asking me when I'm going to get mine, im stressed. I've done a few lessons with an instructor but I'm still so scared to drive. Im feeling pressured because my licence is about to expire and my friends are all getting their P's. Everytime I start driving, I get so scared of needing to check everything and to not crash, I keep messing up my turns and parking. Before I drive, I get this pre anxiety of just the thought of driving. I don't know if anyone can relate to this?

June_Summer Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria
  • replies: 3

I feel this so intensely like the world will end because perceived or real criticism of any kind. Always thought I needed to toughen up but apparently I have anxiety and RSD. Also I feel I am never going to get the right mental health support.

I feel this so intensely like the world will end because perceived or real criticism of any kind. Always thought I needed to toughen up but apparently I have anxiety and RSD. Also I feel I am never going to get the right mental health support.

hewieth14 Spiraling - how do I cope with it
  • replies: 4

I don't really know how to explain how I'm feeling. The best way to describe it was in a stream of consciousness thing I did. "I hate being stuck in my head. Someone once explained to me that it felt like a spiral. At first, you think nothing of it; ... View more

I don't really know how to explain how I'm feeling. The best way to describe it was in a stream of consciousness thing I did. "I hate being stuck in my head. Someone once explained to me that it felt like a spiral. At first, you think nothing of it; the spiral is large and loose. But, when you start to think more about it, the tighter it becomes, until it's around your neck, strangling every emotion out of you. It is dangerous for me to think like this because once I am in it, it is impossible to climb my way out." I tend to fixate on one single word, or one single sentence and become utterly obsessed with the ideas behind it. I dance, and it had been a good 2 months out of competing in my state when a girl told me about my rival. I was on a plane trip back from an interstate competition, in which I did win - but I felt as if I didn't dance well. "He is looking strong," she notified me. I didn't feel strong. I didn't feel as if I danced well. What does strong mean? Physically strong? Technique? Is he better than me? He is, isn't he? Thousands of thoughts were buzzing through my head and I honestly couldn't think, grasp or even decipher a single one of them. And I just felt exhausted by the time I arrived home, and then for the next 2 weeks. And then it all went away when I beat him at the next competition against him - by a lot. I had wasted all of my energy on something I didn't even need to be worried about. So basically, what I am asking is: Is there any way that I can stop obsessing over small, and possibly insignificant, ideas? Are there any ways to get out of the spiral once I'm in it?

Corn_L Social anxiety, trust issue, job hunting, financial hardship
  • replies: 3

Hi everyone, background info: I was first suffered from social anxiety 7 years ago. I easily get anxious when I meet people who are loud-spoken, impolite/disrespectful. I made my first post last year regarding my driving anxiety. After that stressful... View more

Hi everyone, background info: I was first suffered from social anxiety 7 years ago. I easily get anxious when I meet people who are loud-spoken, impolite/disrespectful. I made my first post last year regarding my driving anxiety. After that stressful driving test, I took a break from full-time work. I could only work from home and did some one-off online jobs. Until November 2021, I was able to get a temp job and I worked full-time till March this year. I was great in those months. I was able to have face-to-face interactions and make new friends at different occasions. However, in late March, I got scammed and lost some money. And I felt like I can't trust anyone anymore. Since then, I became really alert. As I have completed my temp job contract, some of my workmate wanna know about my future plans. I no longer felt comfortable to discuss with them.And I can't take advice from anyone. In April, I had a big argument with my partner regarding job hunting. He said I just sit at home all day, not willing to work. I said I really need a break coz I lost my confidence. In all these years struggling with anxiety, I only rely on my own savings. I have never applied for any government support nor borrowing money. I'm independent, why can't I choose to have a break and look after myself? However, maybe what my partner said was right. Even I chose to take a break, I couldn't look after myself well. In April & May, I only hid in the house. All humans made me feel anxious. Even if I needed to post something at the post office, I struggled for 2 weeks until my partner forced me to get into the car. No matter who pressed the door bell, I would not open the door. What's more embarrassing? I don't want to shower or get changed. I didn't make/answer any phone calls. Just wanted to isolate myself. Recently, when I went to a checkup (physical health), I got told that I need to have some treatment & surgery. I have completed some minor treatment few days ago which costed me a fortune. So, I told myself these days, I must get a job. Otherwise I can't afford the medical expenses (I am not Australian citizen & I don't have medicare/other support). Unfortunately, I got scammed again, on Facebook. I worked & never get paid. I really hate myself for being so stupid. Can anyone relate to me? I am hard working and I want to be independent, but I just can't find a job that suits me. I don't want to be seen as a loser/lazy person. Please give me some advise? TIA

Mad1990 Over eater
  • replies: 1

Hello Lovely people; I feel like for the most part of it I eat generally well, but when I am stressed I over eat a lot and its not normal, I can not afford and also do not have time to do counselling. I am a student and I work full time and I have a ... View more

Hello Lovely people; I feel like for the most part of it I eat generally well, but when I am stressed I over eat a lot and its not normal, I can not afford and also do not have time to do counselling. I am a student and I work full time and I have a partner and family commitments (no children tho), and I am new in my role at work, and this is also my first year of uni, and I have also moved and will probably need to move again, so there has been a lot of change and a lot worry about failing, which in itself is pretty normal. But I always deal with my stress with food. I am a stress overeater, and I am just concerned for my health and was wondering if anyone could please give me some advice or tips, would be greatly appreciated. As I feel I can not handle my stress and food and constant worry about my weight, it stressing me out and I just can't handle all the stress in my life, which then results in me thinking about past trauma events, and it just a constant cycle of eating. My habit is ruled my emotions and certain triggers, and I understand that I have to deal with my emotions first and I feel like I am trying to do that but I am addicted with pushing my emotions down with eating and its disgusting . I was just wondering if there are any one out there who deals with their emotions with food, and how they got over the addiction to food. Thank you xxx

Vicki1 Shame and guilt
  • replies: 5

Does anybody find that standard small talk questions can be stressful and difficult to answer when you have anxiety? Questions that cause me panic include What are you up to today? How’s work? What do you do for work? I am an accountant by trade. I w... View more

Does anybody find that standard small talk questions can be stressful and difficult to answer when you have anxiety? Questions that cause me panic include What are you up to today? How’s work? What do you do for work? I am an accountant by trade. I worked in the same company for many years, and worked my way up to part owner and director. Unfortunately, as a result of a marriage breakdown and subsequent family law issues, as well as a lot of emotional abuse from my ex husband, I have developed crippling anxiety. I am on extended leave from my business and don’t think I’ll ever be able to return. I feel a lot of shame and guilt about my situation, particularly that I am not currently working. Today one of the school mums asked if I had a busy day ahead. If I answered honestly I would have said “No, I’ll probably just be sitting on the lounge stressing and overthinking everything in my life, until I’m finally so mentally drained I take a nap. Then it will be time for school pick up”. Instead I said “No, just housework”. Do everyday questions like this trigger your anxiety? Do you feel shame and guilt around not being able to work or live the way others do? How do you handle small tall, and how do you answer seemingly simple questions that are actually quite difficult?

StrayDetective I’m worried that maybe I’m a narcissist
  • replies: 12

I don’t want to self diagnose myself or anything, but for a while now I’ve seemed to do anything just to get attention. I’ve pictured myself getting sick or injured and people would be worried and pay attention to me. I know it just makes me sound se... View more

I don’t want to self diagnose myself or anything, but for a while now I’ve seemed to do anything just to get attention. I’ve pictured myself getting sick or injured and people would be worried and pay attention to me. I know it just makes me sound self obsessed, which I don’t want to be, but I can’t help thinking that maybe I am. I’ll admit I can be quite the compliment shark, seeking praise whenever I can get it. I have picked up on this recently and have tried to pay more attention to it to make sure I’m not acting all ‘high and mighty’. As for why I act the way I do, always wanting to be noticed, I’m not sure. when I was six years old my sister was born and being the only child for some time may have left it’s mark on me, but I was always very independent. I would get jealous like any sibling would, but I don’t know how that could explain this. I tend to shy away from the spotlight yet at the same time I am desperate to be noticed. I am not particularly humble and have never taken critical feedback well. Maybe I’m too prideful? I don’t know. But I honestly feel like such a self obsessed narcissist and I hate it. Whenever my friends get praise or are talking, I seem to get annoyed, like everything is a competition. I tell myself “It’s not about you!” Which I know, yet I still have the urge to jump in. I hate it.

KFPDW Confused and need a second opinion
  • replies: 13

There's something I have been wondering, if you know someone is in need of help or is going through a hard time but they are horrible to you and don't listen and give you a hard time, should you still do what you can to help? Because what they are do... View more

There's something I have been wondering, if you know someone is in need of help or is going through a hard time but they are horrible to you and don't listen and give you a hard time, should you still do what you can to help? Because what they are doing to you isn't ok. It's something I have been wondering about for some time. Going off past experiences and see it happen to others and in media. I'm confused by what I see in media. I see character being a difficult situation, trying to fix things but is so headstrong and doesn't listen when someone offers help and is trying to be kind. They act horrible towards the person who is just trying to be nice. And no one calls this character out for his actions. I get they are in a terrible situation but that doesn't make it ok to be horrible to others. Especially if they mean well.

judaft struggling with anxiety
  • replies: 8

i've been fighting with my own brain for a long time now and its getting so exhausting. i recently dropped out of school because it was making me miserable and i thought i would be happier but my overthinking and stress has gotten the best of me. i'v... View more

i've been fighting with my own brain for a long time now and its getting so exhausting. i recently dropped out of school because it was making me miserable and i thought i would be happier but my overthinking and stress has gotten the best of me. i've been feeling like such a failure, and i have this serious issue where i compare myself to everyone my age. i turned 17 a few days ago and i feel like i've wasted all of 14-16. i did bad in school, i was lazy and i regret it all so bad i wish i could go back and redo everything. being 17 makes me feel old, i always thought i'd be so cool as a teenager but i dont have any friends and i just feel like such a loser. then i look online and i see all these successful teenagers and kids and i don't understand how they're my age and even younger than me and they already have fame, success, and they already found their purpose and what to do with their lives. i get so obsessed and jealous and wish it was me, i wish so bad that i could go back to being 13-14 and focused on what i would love to do instead of being lazy and glued to my phone. i get so obsessed over these thoughts and they never leave my mind and i get so angry with my past self ugh. and now i feel like its all too late for me, especially because i feel like 17 is so old now. i know im still young but my brain just convinces me that im too old and its too late for me to pursue anything, and i wish i could have found what i love to do earlier on and been good at it ugh. it just makes me so upset and angry and i feel stupid. i just wanna reverse time and try again. no matter what anybody says i just keep going back to these thoughts and its the worst. it causes me so much stress and i dont know how to just be normal. i regret so much and i know im gonna regret worrying so much about all of this in the future but i dont know how to make it stop.

Hopeful021 I’m new here and only starting to take the first steps..
  • replies: 5

Hi all This is new for me… I’m only just starting to accept I may have anxiety. It seems to be triggered at work. I quite like my job and work with good people so I don’t know why I feel this way. I started to recognise it when I knew k had to speak ... View more

Hi all This is new for me… I’m only just starting to accept I may have anxiety. It seems to be triggered at work. I quite like my job and work with good people so I don’t know why I feel this way. I started to recognise it when I knew k had to speak publicly. The build up would cause me so much stress and then over a year ago I had my first panic attack while public speaking. I lost my vision and my voice. It was horrible but eventually I just admitted to the crowd what was happening. I then had a year off on maternity leave and didn’t think much more about it. I went back to work recently and now I struggle to even talk in any pre planed situations. Even if it’s just me and my close work team. Today my boss asked me to attend a very high level meeting and present. I haven't stopped feeling sick since and literally can’t stop thinking about it. I have kept my feelings hidden as based on previous experiences of people know I feel like this it makes my anxiety worse as I think people are watching me more closely and analysing me. It sounds so minor but I’m worried that it’s going to take over. Im worries I will have to leave my job.. Im just posting here to see if anyone else experiences this? Thank you