FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I'm just so tired

bril4
Community Member

I'm currently in year 12 and I never realised that when people said it would be difficult, they really meant it. School for me hasn't been good since primary and it's only gotten worse the longer I've attended. Now as I'm only a few months from reaching the finish line, I feel I've reached my breaking point. I can't continue to force myself to do all this schoolwork just for a small chance at a better future. Because how good can the future really be, when time has done nothing but ruin me? I was such a happy kid growing up, I loved school and I always got good marks. Now, I'm a procrastinating mess who barely gets out of bed in the morning making up any excuse to skip school. And to add to it, I have to go to uni after this? Even more school, even more stress and anxiety, fear of failure, tears, bursts of rage. When will it end?? I'm just so over it all, so so tired.  

3 Replies 3

Janey_beyond
Community Member

Hey, I totally understand how you’re feeling as I am in the same boat. You’re definitely not alone! I’m finishing grade twelve too but also experiencing very severe depression. If you’re really unsure with what to do, I would suggest asking yourself what do you actually want to do after school? Is it possible to drop out and still go after the career or passion you want? There is also no pressure to go to Uni right after school. You may want to take a gap year which may help you choose the right path or benefit your mental health. It’s important to prioritise yourself, only you can know what’s right for you. Maybe ask, is it worth just pushing through until the end of the year? Maybe you’re putting too much pressure on yourself to do things ‘right’ when all you need is a pass. Also just a reminder, school is not easy!! It takes strength and determination, but it’s also okay if it’s not for everyone!
Sending love, Janey

Zamofing1
Community Member

Hey, there have u thought about after school tacking a break from study and just wokr

useraip
Community Member

Hey bril4, 

I completely understand where you are coming from, I was burnt out by the end of year 12 and could no longer put the same effort in that I had been the past years. I am currently in uni, whcih has really opened my eyes on the amount of different paths there are to become who you want to be in the future. A large handful of my high school friends took a (or several) gap year, which really helped them decide who they were/wanted to do in the future. Many went to uni, and like me, are enjoying it a lot more than high school. Another handful went to uni, and dropped out - which is such a possibility if you just want to give it a go. There are cut-off dates, about 6 weeks into the term, where if you drop out before the date you don't acquire the hex debt or a fail record on your transcript. Just remember, school is not the be all and end all. The world have evolved so much, and there are now soooo many other options for you if school doesn't seem to be serving you how you wish it to.