FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Can crying be a sign of strength and not weakness.?

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Something happened to me recently which inspired this thread.

I was preparing an event with a group of people I had known for a little time when I accidentally broke a full length mirror.

My first reaction was to be startled and then cry as it triggered me and it was so unexpected. Instead of people seeing if I was ok, they commented that I was weak because I was crying, they whispered that they were amazed that an adult would cry over such a small thing. Someone told me they thought I was stronger and disappointed I cried.

After a few minutes I was fine but sad my crying was seen as a sign of immaturity and not being strong.

So I want to know if you have experienced people reacting when you cry..?

I am someone who didn’t cry much as a child but now in my senior years I can get teary quite easily which I accept.

I am surprised at what happened to me and now wonder if those people will see me differently.

Do you think most people see tears as weakness. .?

47 Replies 47

Annas1
Community Member

Oh The Rising,

what a beautiful and generous response you have offered. (I too am a sensitive gal of 51 years - so there you go!)

Thank-you for saying that the work of recognition is a big part of the healing process, it has literally taken me years to understand the ways my natural self has been squeezed into a shape more acceptable to key people in my life. This has been important, but the start of a journey of self-trust drawing on my faith in the enduring human capacity for connection and love.

Your words make me feel understood and cared-for.

Thank-you my friend

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Anna1

thanks for honestly sharing your thoughts. i agree that the rising has written a very thorough and kind post full of useful suggestions.

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Annas1

You're so beautiful, full of beauty. This is easy to see in your beautiful response. You're so kind 🙂

Perspective is a fascinating thing, hey. While one person can say 'I don't want to turn 50 (let alone 51), another may say 'If I continue on with becoming this enlightened in the way of self understanding, I can't wait to find out who I really am by the time my next birthday comes around'. I think if we're desperate to naturally reform our self into someone we can truly love and be proud of and work hard on such reformation, each year becomes a more fascinating gift.

It's seriously tough when our reformation can be so painful at times, reducing us to tears. For example, when you gradually wake up to certain depressing behaviours of some key people in your life, it can feel heartbreaking, especially when you realise their behaviour has been largely self serving all that time. Even tougher is answering the call to let them go, out of our life. Perhaps we may be waking up to how our parents guided us and realise, in some ways, they misguided us based on the ways they were raised or brought down. Sometimes it's simply not their fault, when they're working with only the tools they've been given (sometimes the wrong ones). Waking up to things can be quite shocking at times, leaving you thinking 'Now that I know this, where do I go from here?'. It can feel like such a lonely and somewhat confusing journey at times, being a pioneer in our own life, exploring so much new unfamiliar territory.

While some of the terrain can be brutal, it can lead us to the most breathtaking of places where we stand truly stunned by how amazing we are and have been all along 🙂

That Other Guy
Community Member
Gonna say i probably cried most days last year. When i found out my wife had sex with another man i drank, sobbed in my son's and, and went to bed and howled for an hour. I know some people think it's weak, i feel sorry for them. I don't like to cry but I'm not ashamed to have emotions.

That Other Guy,

I'm so sorry to hear that. What an awful experience to go through; crying is a logical response to such an overwhelming situation. If you'd like to talk more about this with us on the forums, we're here to support you.

I'd like to acknowledge the strength in your words, that you're not ashamed to have emotions. That's a powerful mindset to have.

SB

That other guy , thanks for your honesty , and I see you as strong coping with such betrayal.

crying was a way you expressed your emotions,

I am proud that you can own your emotions.

You are strong and honest.

Hello everyone, do you have days when you cry a lot for no reason.?

I wonder does one cry from frustration, or pity, or anger, or grief , or sadness or  some  or none of above or all of the above