Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Stella85 New to this.
  • replies: 1

I'm not in a good headspace currently again, and don't want to be around people. My brother died 4 years ago, so naturally I grieved his loss. I also lost my pregnancy 72 hours after losing my brother. I went into a deep depression, but became pregna... View more

I'm not in a good headspace currently again, and don't want to be around people. My brother died 4 years ago, so naturally I grieved his loss. I also lost my pregnancy 72 hours after losing my brother. I went into a deep depression, but became pregnant again with my son, my 5th child, who just turned 3 today. I was happy when he was born, but had a bit of PPD for 2 weeks, which I put down to not having my brother around. I became pregnant 10 months later with my 6th child. My partner and I were having some issues with his ex and he didn't want another baby, and wanted a termination after I told him I was pregnant. I began to resent him, and drift from him. I continued with my pregnancy, told him I'll give birth without him then and not to bother. He was stressing about his ex and our house (they had purchased it together, and she wanted a large buyout figure to get herself out of her own debts she had acquired over 10 years since they separated in 2007). My mother was on my back about contraception, which I can do with the horrible side effects, so I reluctantly agreed to a tubal ligation to please them. 2 days after having my son by cesarean and tubal, I went into deep depression and have been fighting it since. I want a reversal and my parter wants it to and hates himself for how he acted when I told him I was pregnant and what the tubal has done to me. I've started my RN grad year and recently lost a friend to suicide, so added stress isn't helping. Now with the prospect of elective surgery being postponed due to COVID19, I've just crumbled into a heap, crying and hating myself, my partner and the world. I just wsnt to be happy again and feel like my old self, but I don't believe that will ever happen again. Shouldn't be laying here crying my eyes out and in a mess. Ive kept it at bay lately, but could feel it coming over the past week, reaching it's point last night and being pushed over today.

mulder1010 Hello from Sydney
  • replies: 3

Hi there, First time poster in here. Thought I should say hello. I have come in here as have been diagnosed with Anxiety that I have developed from work. I do sales, and drive a lot. have had some medical issues that have grown into full fledged anxi... View more

Hi there, First time poster in here. Thought I should say hello. I have come in here as have been diagnosed with Anxiety that I have developed from work. I do sales, and drive a lot. have had some medical issues that have grown into full fledged anxiety of driving at times. Some days are good. Others.......... Yeah right. Getting on a highway is a no go and not safe for me. Am working on it but some days are good and others are not. Slow progress is still progress. Anyway wanted to say hello and always up for a chat with others. Always happy to talk travel if you are keen. I am American, been here 11 years. This is home now. Thanks

Patch71 New to me
  • replies: 2

My journey to depression and anxiety started after losing my job after 18 years high stress and pressure caught up with me. But there are many good people and services available for help and I am grateful for that , the way forward continues. i never... View more

My journey to depression and anxiety started after losing my job after 18 years high stress and pressure caught up with me. But there are many good people and services available for help and I am grateful for that , the way forward continues. i never thought I’d end up here but here is ok today

BigBoyBlake366 hi my name is BigBoy

hi my name is Blake am 16 years old i have had depression and anxiety from the age of 5 i have had some things go wrong in life i have Chronic pain all over my body and it's making my depression worse every day pain killings don't do any were what th... View more

hi my name is Blake am 16 years old i have had depression and anxiety from the age of 5 i have had some things go wrong in life i have Chronic pain all over my body and it's making my depression worse every day pain killings don't do any were what they need to and idk what to do

HuntingThompson Hello! I guess this is a journey.
  • replies: 6

Hi, Long time reader, first time poster. Yesterday, after a lifetime of struggling and the last five years of totally spiralling - I’ve been given an initial diagnosis of CPTSD, Bi Polar type II and possible BPD. I have been medicated for the past 5 ... View more

Hi, Long time reader, first time poster. Yesterday, after a lifetime of struggling and the last five years of totally spiralling - I’ve been given an initial diagnosis of CPTSD, Bi Polar type II and possible BPD. I have been medicated for the past 5 years for depression and anxiety, and now the docs are going to introduce anti-psychotic meds and mood stabilisers. I’m feeling a bit lost, as although I have a comprehensive and documented history - the psychiatrist spent 35 minutes with me and left me with initial diagnosis and a loose plan for new meds. I have been unemployed since the end of 2018, and my mental state is debilitating. I don’t have much hope for the future as part of my general outlook - but I’m feeling even more confused as to “where to from here?” regarding all the new labels and conditions. I’m working with a GP, psychologist so I’m lucky in that regard. Does anyone have an advice on what to do immediately after initial diagnosis/re-diagnosis? Thanks,

paul12 Hello There. I'm a new member.
  • replies: 6

Struggling a bit with anxiety. Projecting into the future and inventing scenarios that don't exist!!!!!!! Any help and support will be greatly valued and cherished.

Struggling a bit with anxiety. Projecting into the future and inventing scenarios that don't exist!!!!!!! Any help and support will be greatly valued and cherished.

Johnnybgoode doing v bad

hey been doing drugs and drinking whisky all night funny feel pretty shitty anyway anyone here?

hey been doing drugs and drinking whisky all night funny feel pretty shitty anyway anyone here?

Renee09 I don’t know what’s going on
  • replies: 5

My name is Renee and I’m 23 and live in a small country town in Queensland. I don’t really know what’s going on but lately I’ve just been generally struggling to cope with day to day activities, getting out of bed, showering, house chores, going to w... View more

My name is Renee and I’m 23 and live in a small country town in Queensland. I don’t really know what’s going on but lately I’ve just been generally struggling to cope with day to day activities, getting out of bed, showering, house chores, going to work. I work in a busy accounting firm and it can be quite stressful at times. At the moment I can’t focus, I feel like everybody at work hates me and I’m making mistakes and receiving feedback but I keep taking this personally so I end up sitting at my desk and crying most of the day. I try to spend time with my friends but I get this same feeling around them as if they don’t want me around or I’m just a burden. I was seeing a guy who I was really comfortable with and he was very supportive but he has just recently broken things off with me because he has feelings for my best friend so I feel like I just have nobody and I’m so alone as I live by myself. I really don’t know what to do. I feel like I could just disappear and nobody would notice.

Alicat92 Lonely at 28- where’s my best friend ?
  • replies: 5

Hi, i guess I feel pretty lonely, and it makes me super depressed, I dont know where to start to find and make new friends, and where do I find a best friend, I guess that’s what’s really missing from my life and iv tryed to fill that spot with drugs... View more

Hi, i guess I feel pretty lonely, and it makes me super depressed, I dont know where to start to find and make new friends, and where do I find a best friend, I guess that’s what’s really missing from my life and iv tryed to fill that spot with drugs/ alcohol in the past, but it all comes back to wanting a special connection, not a romantic relationship or a partner but a best friend who I can talk to about anything and share my secrets! Someone to hold my hand and support me to try something new and daunting, to travel and gossip. my life is together, I have an amazing supportive boyfriend, a few friends no one really close, job, ect but this one part of me is missing. and it’s a large part. does anyone else find this bringing them to tears at night or in the car or maybe when you have had a little to much time to think i don’t know where she is or if she exists but I hope she finds me.

newintown23 Anxious and unsettled about future
  • replies: 3

Hello all, I came across this forum two days when I was looking for something on how best to come when moving interstate (despite having in the past and in new state now). I really wanted to see if anyone else out there could relate to me in some way... View more

Hello all, I came across this forum two days when I was looking for something on how best to come when moving interstate (despite having in the past and in new state now). I really wanted to see if anyone else out there could relate to me in some way or give me some guidance. I've found it quite hard in the past as my friends' experiences don't always match up with mine. Plus they don't need to suffer from anxiety like I do. I hope I can return the favour very soon! Anyway, I'll go back in time a bit. A few years ago, I wanted to move interstate from Canberra and after some kerfuffle in terms of getting a place, I landed in Brisbane ready start to a new chapter of my life. Because I was semi-familiar with the city due to my grandfather and family friends living there, it seemed like a good option. Unfortunately, about 10 months later after not being able to secure a job I wanted and my lease ending, I came home quite depressed and defeated. I luckily was able to get a retail job within a few months (not ideal as I went to uni but a start I thought). Fast forward to the present and I've recently moved to the sunshine coast with my mother. (Been here 2 weeks to be exact!) The idea was to move to Brisbane again eventually since its a bigger job market and I've always thought of the coast as more a holiday destination. In the first week and a half here, I was fine. Between moving in and going to the vet for one of our dog's ongoing conditions we've had plenty to do. However, as of last Sunday (I believe because of a question my mother asked me 'about my future plans'), I've started to feel a general sense of anxiety within my body and as of today, uneasiness in my stomach. (I've tried to manage the physical side of things by drinking a ginger juice and peppermint tea. As well, I've tried some mediation but it only goes so far when I've got situational worries. Plus, they can be a bit hit and miss for me). I worry that I'm overreacting and just to ride it out in terms of my emotions. Perhaps its just a PMS thing? (Although it doesn't feel like it). At the same time, I want to get on top of things, especially if it's relating to my future. I saw a psychologist last year to primarily deal with my anxiety about my future which did help but now I'm here I'm unsure if I should see someone again. Small things like registering for job alerts from Brisbane uni's felt productive for a while but then, later on, I felt anxious again. Thanks for reading