Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Mic3 "I'm fine"
  • replies: 3

I've lived with depression since I was 13-14. I'm 42 now. Been doing lots of different of things to help and some things work and some things don't. I am a little bit of an introvert with anxiety but have friends. However I feel that I can never real... View more

I've lived with depression since I was 13-14. I'm 42 now. Been doing lots of different of things to help and some things work and some things don't. I am a little bit of an introvert with anxiety but have friends. However I feel that I can never really properly talk to them. One thing that I feel is that you can't really talk to many about how you really feel. I come from a culture where "everything is fine". You just don't talk about how you feel. I'm so not like that but I still have to suppress how I'm feeling because you shouldn't really express how you are feeling. I find it absolutely great that mental health is on the agenda for many today but the problem is to find that one person or group etc who want to listen without fear or to much of a judgment. I am in search for a day to day wellbeing group which is super hard in Covid times. For me it's more about talking about how you feel from day to day, from week to week. I guess you can call it to unload. I've tried psychologists but doesn't fit me. I'm not sure if this makes sense. Are there any groups like that out there that someone can recommend? Thank you

A_little_broken Saying hi, a newbie here.
  • replies: 2

Hi all, thought joining these forums might be helpful and also helps knowing I’m not alone. Life is throwing so many curveballs of late and I’m finding things very overwhelming.

Hi all, thought joining these forums might be helpful and also helps knowing I’m not alone. Life is throwing so many curveballs of late and I’m finding things very overwhelming.

Shelby0790 I'm my partner's support person but I need some support now...
  • replies: 1

Here goes... 10 months ago, I met the love of my life. I adore this man so much. Our relationship is solid. He suffers from depression and anxiety. I've been supportive and helpful, patient, loving and kind to him as he tells me. Navigating the lows ... View more

Here goes... 10 months ago, I met the love of my life. I adore this man so much. Our relationship is solid. He suffers from depression and anxiety. I've been supportive and helpful, patient, loving and kind to him as he tells me. Navigating the lows have been getting difficult for me lately and it's making me anxious and an almost constant sick feeling in my stomach. The lows have been present more often than not in the time we've been together. He's on medication but he tells me it's not working. Life overwhelms him sometimes and although he says he he'll go to his Dr for a reassessment and chat, he never does. He just says things will be good. I've gently encouraged him to speak to a psychiatrist but I don't think he will. I don't know how to help him further and also myself. I feel like I'm absorbing his anxiety and constant worry. I'd appreciate any hints/advice from anyone who has been/is going through same or similar. Thanks in advance

Sadmum71 Sad mum who’s son is on charges
  • replies: 4

Hi everyone I’m a mum of two kids one 18 (son) and one 16 (daughter). They are polar opposites. My son was caught up in a fight with a 15 year old and has now been charged with a serious assault charge. I’m beyond devastated and I’m not coping at all... View more

Hi everyone I’m a mum of two kids one 18 (son) and one 16 (daughter). They are polar opposites. My son was caught up in a fight with a 15 year old and has now been charged with a serious assault charge. I’m beyond devastated and I’m not coping at all. He is remorseful but needs help for his anxiety and depression but won’t seek help. I just don’t know how to cope. We live in a small town and I’m so worried about what people think. There are days where I don’t want to be around. I’m so scared of him going to jail. I just can’t deal with anything at the moment. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Please help.

Icyowl LDRs suck
  • replies: 4

Needing some advice. I’ve been seeing my partner for nearly 4 years, and he hasn’t exactly proven his commitment. He is 50 but still lives with his siblings and a year ago, I moved away for work and to be closer to my family. we have been doing long ... View more

Needing some advice. I’ve been seeing my partner for nearly 4 years, and he hasn’t exactly proven his commitment. He is 50 but still lives with his siblings and a year ago, I moved away for work and to be closer to my family. we have been doing long distance ever since. Lucky with COVID that we are in the same state, but it’s a 2hr flight between us. Lately I’ve been feeling so lonely and depressed. I have been on and off medication but decided to go drug free earlier this month. I can’t help but feel resentment for my partner, for telling me he “will” move “soon”, but has been saying this for a year now. do I stick with him, even though the relationship makes me so sad, or do I end it, knowing that I will be lonely with no support or friends until I meet new people in my new city? I really love him, but not sleeping and constantly crying over my relationship is taking it’s toll.

Deeoz Grief
  • replies: 3

Do you have grief counselling service. ? I have become incapacitated by grief. I don't know what to do or how to go on. Everything is a mess. It's beyond me fixing it anymore. I can't do it anymore. I would rather not be here. Do you think grief coun... View more

Do you have grief counselling service. ? I have become incapacitated by grief. I don't know what to do or how to go on. Everything is a mess. It's beyond me fixing it anymore. I can't do it anymore. I would rather not be here. Do you think grief counselling would help sort me out or should I go into the mentally ill ward at orange.

HelplessWife When my words fall on deaf ears...
  • replies: 14

Hello I am a almost 40yr old wife, been married 15 years, and known the love of my life since we were teenagers. We've both had our traumas in life. Most people do...everyone has a past, a story, a tragic moment or two or a shitty hand they've been d... View more

Hello I am a almost 40yr old wife, been married 15 years, and known the love of my life since we were teenagers. We've both had our traumas in life. Most people do...everyone has a past, a story, a tragic moment or two or a shitty hand they've been dealt, they just need to survive with... My husband showed me how a man should love a woman, and how to be respectful of a woman. My husband taught me to be proud of myself, and open up to being loved and admired and cherished. We supported each other to the n'th degree in all aspects of our lives. We never judged each other, never hurt each other with words and always showed each other kindness. ...Until a few years back... when my husband was diagnosed with depression. He is also more and more reliant on the beers of an evening, on medication, and we're seeing a marriage councilor. Both of us, for different traumas we've had to live with have openly sought assistance with a psychologist...Our marriage councilor says our our communication skills aren't aligning anymore, and our words are hurting one another. We both think differently, initially attracted to one another as we were polar opposites. Now this difference is tearing us apart... I guess, my beef is the lack of respect that I get shown. His would be my lack of love or support for him. We've both come to resent the other, my for him not seeing that his alcohol intake is affecting his depression, and our love life. Often (at least 3 times a week, bed wetting occurs). This topic hasn't been discussed with the marriage councilor on his behalf, and I get that, as it's shameful to him...but the cycle is the same for me, I see this and am living with this too, but nothing gets resolved, it's a 'pain point for him'. He cannot see that the alcohol is the cause of the further depression, and believes that my words are fueling his elusiveness. My attempts at showing love and affection are failing, as he continues to feel unworthy, unloved, and useless. Nothing I say makes a difference, my words fall on deaf ears... He doesn't feel loved. I don't feel loved. We both feel very alone right now. I am lost inside, as I feel so hurt and afraid to say, do, or be the wrong thing for him. He doesn't like my words, they do nothing for him but spark anger and he pulls away from me, often sleeping downstairs or retreating, saying "I don't get it" "I don't care". He wants me to show love, but I find it hard to show affection when my needs aren't being met either. Help!

Onlywayisup Newly separated
  • replies: 1

Hi I’m 8 days separated and looking for support groups either in person or online I have 2 girls 11 and 14 I’m 51 and not currently working due to my situation

Hi I’m 8 days separated and looking for support groups either in person or online I have 2 girls 11 and 14 I’m 51 and not currently working due to my situation

Tricha New to Beyond Blue Website
  • replies: 2

I have been through the worst time in my life. 1 Suffered Major Depression/Anxiety/Panic Attacks 40yrs +++ suffered from child abuse, Parents wanted a boy so everything I did wasn't good enough. 2 Domestic Violence 30yrs+ ex constantly abused me emot... View more

I have been through the worst time in my life. 1 Suffered Major Depression/Anxiety/Panic Attacks 40yrs +++ suffered from child abuse, Parents wanted a boy so everything I did wasn't good enough. 2 Domestic Violence 30yrs+ ex constantly abused me emotionally and sometimes physically. 3 Ex is a Narcissist and has turned our adult children against me saying I have made up all the allegations, and they have blocked me. 4 Ex has turned 90% of our friends against me, ex is telling lies and I have no way of defending myself because I'm blocked. 5 Moved to a place so my ex could be close to his brother. House needed renos and was bullied by his family and so I never got the things that we agreed on before the move. 6 Have had medical issues +++, needed back surgery and ex asked the surgeon "how soon after the operation can she clean house". He thought it was a joke and said 4 days. After the operation ex kept on saying 4 days over and over. I need another operation for the same condition, this time symptoms are worse and I don't have any support to help me post op. I have severe osteoarthritis/porosis throughout my body and am in severe pain and on high strength pain meds. Ex told everyone I was a drug addict and mentally disabled. He used to stand at the gate and yell this so all the neighbours could hear. Nearly 2 years ago ex threatened to shoot me, I called Police. Ex told everyone that I was lying, Police knew I was telling the truth. Ex even got the local GP on side, when I saw her, she told me that ex had never owned a registered gun. I said no, he has 3 unregistered guns. My birthday had always been forgotten as a child, my sister's b'day is 2 weeks before and parent's wedding anniversary 1 day after. Ex's family have lots of b'days in same month & M-in-law made Cake put everyone's names on top except mine. Ex's brother's 50th was on my b'day & M-in-law said it's not my party, I went home (I'd lost my Mum 8 days before), my 60th I got a pat on the back from ex, nothing else. He sent a mate a text & card with Scratchies, but I got nothing. I feel very very lonely and a bit selfish because of everything that is going on in the world and I'm complaining about myself. I just want to be happy, I need my 2 kids to talk to me and I want the rest of my life to be content. From someone who is very lonely and unhappy.