FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Mental Health Plan

BlackNBlue
Community Member

A while ago I spoke to my GP about issues with depression. This was very hard to do. Have been seeing him for over 20 years now

Mentioned about getting a Mental Health Plan.

He said that they are a waste of time and don't do any good. I have left it at that.

What else can I try instead?

22 Replies 22

kanga_brumby
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

BlacknBlue Mental Health Plans are horses for courses. It depends on who the plan is for what is in it and how the person applies it. Either it works or it doesn't. There was a friend of mine who had a Mental Health Plan it rely worked for her. It can break down some times to your support network. and how good it is. My friend's family wasn't in her support network. There were reasons for that. But the rest of her network kept her going. I was shocked to find out one person who was on it, and how high that person was on her list of helpers. To this day my jaw still hits the ground.

Kanga

Maybe I am using the wrong language here.

What i wanted was the documents to access ten sessions of counselling. Thought that was a Mental Health Plan, but maybe it's not the right name.

Anyway I have not got it and going to counselling is a wasted of time and money. I guess it's a case of just suck it up and move along.

Just Sara
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi and welcome to our caring BB community BnB;

What you've described is 'old school' mentality from an obviously senior (aged) GP. A mental health plan gives you access to Medicare Rebates when seeing a psychologist/psychiatrist for diagnosis and treatment. It's also to provide information to those services that indicates what your GP's opinion is, to help guide them.

A MHP is part of your treatment and medication plans, so without this document, there's a missing link. It's a medical/psychological/psychiatric team effort that combined, helps you to support yourself.

I'm so glad you found the courage to post on BB, because as peers with MH issues ourselves, we have the experience/insight to encourage and support you thru difficult times.

Knowledge is a powerful thing, but you need to exercise it for it to work. Please talk with your GP again to reinforce 'your' needs instead of his/her outdated opinions. If this Dr hasn't kept up to date with current standards of treatment/support for depression and anxiety, it's in your best interest to find help elsewhere before things escalate.

There's a mass of resources 'out there' which sometimes requires 'referrals', no point going to someone who doesn't believe in recovery options. "She'll be right mate!" won't cut it anymore I'm afraid.

There are links below in the blue section giving lots of info on depression/anxiety, treatment options and more. BeyondBlue forum is complementary to external services; we're not professionals, but can be an amazing asset with your recovery.

I'd love to hear about your journey if you're up to it.

Best of luck...

Sara

Hey again BnB;

Kanga posted while I was still typing, so I didn't read your response until now. I absolutely understand your apathy at present; finding your way thru the paperwork maze then trying to sort out money and therapy options etc, can be mind numbing.

Please stick with it though, the rewards are worth it.

Kanga's response was because he interpreted your request as being an 'in-house' care plan. He's currently in a Nursing Home situation that's proven to be really unpleasant and complicated. So it's understandable he's replied in this way.

A GP is the person who has the document you're after, otherwise your nearest hospital can refer you to the local or state Mental Health Team. In your situation, it might pay dividends rather than relying on your GP.

As I've said, it's worth pursuing therapy because recovery is what we all seek at the end of the day.

Kind thoughts...

Sara

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hi BlackNBlue, the doctor handles all the documents, fills them out and then sends them away to whom ever he recommends and that's when you an appointment.
I agree with Sara your doctor seems to be behind the times and not kept up with what's going on these days, because getting MHP is the beginning for you to get the help you need.
It would be awful if you had to pay for these 10 appointments and nothing happened, this will give the chance to hopefully open some door on why you are feeling the way you are.
Click onto 'Get Support' and scroll down till you see 'Find a professional', or maybe you know of someone who has previously seeked out help, but please don't hesitate in doing this, the sooner the better. Geoff.

BlackNBlue
Community Member

My GP is not behind the times at all. He did say he used to do these but in most cases now has ceased as it only has benefits in some cases and in others can do more harm.

Cannot afford to pay for it either so I will just womble along.

The mental health team is a free service and can be called by you as well as the ER Drs. Your GP's opinion as I've stated is wrong; 'harm' is a subjective word and shouldn't be used to assess your particular situation.

Wombeling along might seem the only alternative, but early intervention is critical when facing depression. A few months from now it might turn into 'clinical depression' and you certainly don't want that.

I understand this is your decision, so hopefully you'll take the path less travelled and help yourself.

My best;

Sara

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi BnB and welcome,

I posted yesterday as soon as I saw your thread but it seems to have gone somewhere. I would be looking for another GP who is more supportive. Can a GP even refuse to put you on a MHP? Doesn't he have a duty of care to his patients? To say they are of no use is his opinion and I don't think he can make that decision for you. I totally agree with Sara and Geoff. Seeing a psych will allow you to speak freely in a non judgmental space with a professional. I have had 2 appointments after putting it off for so long with my anxiety. I like talking freely to here, she questions my thoughts and challenges them making me change the way i think. It is a good way to unload your mind.

I am really surprised at your GP's stand on this. I have seen a few different gp's at my clinic and each one i have mentioned anxiety to has suggested counseling. In fact my dentist even suggested it as i had a terrible fear of going there. He said that as well as being my dentist he is a medical professional and cared for my well being.

He said 'it only has benefits in some cases and in others can do more harm.' How can he determine how it will go for you. I think you can decide that after seeing someone which you are entitled to do.

BnB i do hope you can get the support and help you need.

cmf

BlackNBlue
Community Member

This weekend I spoke to another person who had the same experience. She questioned why and it is not as simple as I thought. Being in a small community we do not have much choice. There is only two people who are within an area which would be within the local area. Both only work part time and apparently one is not good and the other is worse.

In a city or larger town things may be different. I now understand my GP's reluctance.