FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

PSYCHOLOGIST and MYSELF????

Nellym
Community Member

Hi,

So I have been recently diagnosed with PTSD and anxiety from several traumas, in my past and also recently. I have been seeing a psychologist and had about 6 sessions so far. I really don't know if they are helping me and that is probably because of myself. I find it very difficult to sit there and talk to someone about what I am going through. I think of all these things to say before hand, and when I get in there I seem to 'freeze' and cannot tell them everything. I sometimes come out feeling worse than when I went in.

How do people know if their psychologist is the right fit for them?

How do I get past the 'freezing' part and tell them everything I need to?

Any help would be great.

5 Replies 5

Pysis
Community Member

Hi Nellym

its always hard to talk to someone at first but don't give up you will eventually build up a relationship with your phycologist and it will get easier. Have you considered writing everything down that you want to say and then give it to them at the start of your session this will at least help steer them in the right direction to help you. You will feel worse coming out of a session sometimes becuase you are bringing up stuff that you have probably been trying to forget so you will feel emotional about it.youll get there mate don't give up hang in there and you can always talk on here if you want.

good luck

nath

BballJ
Community Member

Hi Nellym,

Great reply from Pysis, I agree with what was said about writing things down and using it as check list before going into your appointment so you don't forget. You could also give these dot points to them at the start of the sessions so they can bring it up for you.

I remember when I was first going to see a psychologist, my GP said to me that you may not click with the first one you see, you'll know when you click because speaking to them will be like speaking to a good friend and you'll almost feel compelled to want to tell them more. Do you find you click with them? I know you say you freeze just speaking about yourself but could also be that you are not 100% comfortable with them.

My best for you,

Jay

Nellym
Community Member

Hi Nath and Jay,

Thanks for the advice. I have written down everything I need to tell him and will give it to him at my next appointment. Hopefully that makes it a bit easier and the sessions can be more helpful.

Nelly

Pysis
Community Member

Hi nelly

I hope it helps you, good luck. It can only get better.

You can always talk on here as well if you want.

good luck mate

nath

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hi Nellym, all good advice from those above me, but when you write down what you really need to discuss, then there will be issues that you maybe too afraid to mention, however these are what needs to be spoken about, all those hidden problems that no one else knows about, because deep down these are what are causing your hidden fears.
The psychologist will work around these making you feel as though you can trust him, unless you want to come out and mention them straight away.
As you have had 6 sessions I don't think that you should try and find anyone else, because if you do then the first 2 sessions will just be getting to know each other, and at the moment that would be a waste. Geoff.