FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Mental Health Plan

BlackNBlue
Community Member

A while ago I spoke to my GP about issues with depression. This was very hard to do. Have been seeing him for over 20 years now

Mentioned about getting a Mental Health Plan.

He said that they are a waste of time and don't do any good. I have left it at that.

What else can I try instead?

22 Replies 22

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi BnB,

Thank you for getting back to us and i am glad you had clarification. It doesn't solve your problem though, that you would like to talk to someone. Are you able to travel outside of your area to see someone? You can call the support line offered here 1300 22 4636. I am hoping someone on the forums will have other suggestions for you. In the meantime you are welcome to post more about your story here and I am sure will receive much needed support. We are bot professionals but have all experienced depression/anxiety. It may be a good idea to start a new thread with a title that is relevant to your depression issues as it will attract more people who will resonate with it.

I hope this helps BnB. You Deserve the support you need.

Take care

cmf

BlackNBlue
Community Member

I have called that number and it's not worked out very well for me. They sort of try to move you on to other services and then end the call. That leaves me feeling worse than I did before.

My trust levels are quite low and do not feel at all comfortable putting details on here.

I tried reaching out to another on here as they said some things which rang bells but they have not replied.

Not sure where to go. Wombling along probably.

Hi BlacknBlue, we're sorry to hear you had a negative experience when calling our support service.  It is designed for brief counselling and referrals only - if you could let us know here what support you're seeking and what you're hoping to get out of the forums, that will aid our community in supporting you and help to avoid any further disappointment.  

The threads below also provide information on how to navigate our community and get the best out of your time here:

Forums etiquette: give support to receive support

Newbies guide: 5 tips for getting the most out of the forums

I am not comfortable with putting things up here. I have seen some of the results and I would need to have a LOT more trust before I could talk to someone.

The Phone Line was a bit like Fairy Floss. It looks like it has substance but melts away very fast. I know it is not meant to be a fit for this. It is also very focussed on city people. Lifeline is much the same.

So I feel like I really do not fit in here. I am used to that as I am an oddball.

It all feels quite pointless at the moment.

Point taken BnB;

Hope you find what it is you're looking for...

Sara

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi BNB,

Sorry you are feeling so lost.

You mentioned 'I tried reaching out to another on here as they said some things which rang bells but they have not replied." As this is not an online chat based forum it may take time for people respond depending on when they log on and check their threads. I understand you don't feel comfortable sharing too much here but you can always read and contribute to other threads if you wish. If you feel like some 'social' interaction there is the BB cafe in the social zone also where we chat about more upbeat things to take our minds off the hard stuff. There is also a 'friendship circle' thread where we just offer support to each other and give a shout out if we are struggling, no need to disclose anything there.

Take care

cmf

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi BlackNBlue

Just saying G'day. I was born in Cooma NSW which is in the sticks as most would know anyway

It took me much longer than you to have the guts to write my own thread. I didnt 'trust' the forums when I signed up either. I joined because I was stuck with my depression that I have had for 20+ years...ugh...

I find this site really private and safe.....otherwise I wouldnt still be on here..some really kind people here that helped me out big time from early in 2016 too

I hope you can stick around BNB

Paul

Today has been very bad. My levels of trust were low already and now they have plummeted.

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi BNB,

Sorry to hear you are having such a bad day. I understand you're not comfortable posting too much here but just want to let you know that you are welcome to if you wish to anything and that you have support here. No pressure at all.

cmf

BlackNBlue
Community Member

Thanks but No.

I feel I am in a corner and cannot escape. Scared all the time. Want it to stop. Bad thoughts and feeling clammy.