FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Medications Phobia

Bulletin_Board_Archive
Beyond Blue Staff
Beyond Blue Staff
Originally posted by: Scott2 on 26 October 2012

Hi guys i have my medication finally, Now out of all things a fear kicks in regarding them perhaps normal . It's like i have 2 brains arguing with one another, one saying take, other saying no no!. Although i know the rational says yes you need them for now , I know many of us don't like taking them, fearful of them, side effects and hope they work , I also read it can be very hit and miss just have to find that right one. I just have to look at it like i would an Antibiotic for a bad infection, well the same thing for the mind. Oh well I will get past it with the 1st one hopefully, perhaps I'll take it with some of that Pav!!. Bye for now sunny day out there S2
13 Replies 13

Bulletin_Board_Archive
Beyond Blue Staff
Beyond Blue Staff
Originally posted by: David Charles on 26 October 2012

Dear Scott2, Can you cut the meds in half ? Small steps and all that. Or just make a certain time "medication time" like in hospital. Sometimes a routine, self imposed, is enough to take the edge off. I normally break off 2 days meds into a small container so I can keep track what I'm taking. It's not perfect but I catch mistakes easily. I'm always in two minds to get a repeat perscription - seems to suggest that I want to live which can be conflictual. Even identifying the medication phobia as being due to having two brains is excellent. Now you just have to work out which is the preferred brain. With the meds cut in half you might be able to sustain up to four brains. I hope your brain jury calls a verdict in your favour. Adios, David.

Bulletin_Board_Archive
Beyond Blue Staff
Beyond Blue Staff
Originally posted by: stephen on 26 October 2012

Hi Scott, A little trick I do is start the medication at a very small dose. Like quarter of a tablet for a week or so. It's easier to manage side effects this way. Good luck. I hope this is the medication for you. Stephen

Bulletin_Board_Archive
Beyond Blue Staff
Beyond Blue Staff
Originally posted by: candy on 27 October 2012

Dear Scott,I feel for you,as I have major anxiety about taking new medication,I worry I will have a bad reaction and all other things might happen to me,after receiving advice from the wonderful beyond blue responders myself I find it useful now to remind myself that if im feeling unwell after taking a new tablet that i can go to the hospital,doctor and they will help,so far I have not had to do this as knowing there are options if I get unwell or to anxious dose help a bit,I hope all goes well,Candy xx

Bulletin_Board_Archive
Beyond Blue Staff
Beyond Blue Staff
Originally posted by: scott2 on 27 October 2012

Thanks guys reassuring as always, some good advice..David 4 brains that could get interesting 😛

Bulletin_Board_Archive
Beyond Blue Staff
Beyond Blue Staff
Originally posted by: David Charles on 28 October 2012

Dear Scott, What is this medication "finally" (an unusual brand name) ? The "hit" or miss drug ? Kind of a bit of a subconscious ref to the fear of losing control. Do you not feel comfortable with the perscription ? 2nd opinion ? It's a catch 22 cos you'll only know if it works until you try it. Like the burnt pav. Seriously though, I remember refusing to take one particular drug. It was one of those "let's see if this works" moments. When I checked up on the drug it turned out that clinical trials had revealed something nasty. A small percentage of uses had developed a nasty skin disease and some had even died. When I mentioned this to my psychiatrist he said "Oh yes, I meant to tell you about that............". Adios, David.

Bulletin_Board_Archive
Beyond Blue Staff
Beyond Blue Staff
Originally posted by: geoff on 28 October 2012

hi Scott2, try what the others have said, but I remember when I was changing from one antidepressant to another and having OCD is that one small side effect I automatically thought ( not using the word assume ) that the worst would happen and talked myself into believing all the worst, but in fact it was just my body accepting a pill, it has to do this. I know that I will be taking antidepressants for the rest of my life, and I certainly couldn't function without them. Good luck. Geoff.

Bulletin_Board_Archive
Beyond Blue Staff
Beyond Blue Staff
Originally posted by: scotty on 29 October 2012

Hi David well yes there is that to, that one last side effect forgot to mention, I wonder if therapy or the medication will help the most?. I guess a bit of both, depends on the individual . I found talking always helped me , its like a drug in itself i could talk to the cows come home lol. Hi Geoff that's great you found something that works, no harm in being on it for life. I guess one has to evaluate how one is at the time, sleep/diet/ etc, for myself sleep diet has always been a big part , if i neglect lookout. Funny how if we forget the basics like that things can soon go from good to bad...... ahhhh the fun of being a control freak eh?. Well of for some sun and Vitamin D my daily hit...keep well , keep smiling.....:)

Bulletin_Board_Archive
Beyond Blue Staff
Beyond Blue Staff
Originally posted by: David Charles on 30 October 2012

Dear Scotty, I find being on the other end of the drug spectrum just as bad. As a long time user of mood stabilising drugs my body has become too efficient in absorbing my one and only workable treatment. This means constant increases in medication level to out perform my bodies absorption rate. So now, after 25 yrs, I'm at saturation point. I can't increase the drug any further due to toxicity and a desire for my body to s**t out the extra and I can't always control the bipolar highs and lows. After a few hospitalisations to change meds I'm back at square one. Locked in to multiple dog walks and sleeping 3 - 4 hrs max to get by. So maybe starting with a little is better than ending up with too much. Why can't the manufacturers of the cereal "Just Right" start a sideline in anti psychotic medication ? Just saying. Adios, David. PS Your posting seems more relaxed considering the dilema so maybe you've managed to come to terms with this. Since coming on the site I have found your comments very helpful and the ever increasing burnt pav humourous asides really take the biscuit, so to speak. Looking forward to updates and down cakes. Lol.

Bulletin_Board_Archive
Beyond Blue Staff
Beyond Blue Staff
Originally posted by: Scotty on 30 October 2012

Hi David ,BBer's Just knowing others support is there has been helpful thanks. Not feeling so alone :), sharing a burnt Pav lol , I hope they can find a new medication, or can manage your lows/highs better, find the right dose so to speak, you've made 25yrs that's a good thing an achievement living with Mental Health issues, if you know what i mean. Perhaps we are tougher than we think. Just like a diabetic who needs to maintain their medication, we have to do the same really . I've started Vitamin B complex and i think already i feel the benefits of it, I'm %100 sure diet can help to, moderation not to much "Pav". Glad I've had some positive input here, till next time be safe... 🙂