Treatments, health professionals and therapies

Information on a range of different areas, including managing relationships with GPs and psychologists, and finding the right services for you.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

All discussions

Technogurl Alternative treatments that have worked for you
  • replies: 7

Hi I'm really interested to hear if anyone has found any alternative treatments (after trying conventional treatment) that has worked for them, especially for anxiety. Thanks.

Hi I'm really interested to hear if anyone has found any alternative treatments (after trying conventional treatment) that has worked for them, especially for anxiety. Thanks.

Wah How do you manage the cost of treatment?
  • replies: 3

Hello forum community I am wondering if anyone out there has an secrets to share about managing the cost of treatment? I work part time and do not qualify for a HCC. I can keep on top of my scripts but add in a weekly or fortnightly psychology sessio... View more

Hello forum community I am wondering if anyone out there has an secrets to share about managing the cost of treatment? I work part time and do not qualify for a HCC. I can keep on top of my scripts but add in a weekly or fortnightly psychology session and I am stuffed. I got a GP care plan but it still costs me per visit and I find at the moment I can't afford it even though I know it would help. At present I am seeing my Psychiatrist every 3-4 weeks and that is a big cost too. Thanks Wah

CatLover88 Are support groups helpful
  • replies: 2

I've been struggling with mental illness for more than 10 years now. I have been diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder, major depression and social anxiety. I've tried lots of medications in various combinations and doses. I'm now just taking o... View more

I've been struggling with mental illness for more than 10 years now. I have been diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder, major depression and social anxiety. I've tried lots of medications in various combinations and doses. I'm now just taking one for my anxiety, but I've given up on anti-depressants.I have a psychiatrist who looks after my medication, but I find her very unhelpful for anything else. I have a psychologist who I see every three weeks. I find her really helpful but I've used all my sessions on my mental health plan already and I can't afford to see her more frequently.I used to have a good job, working full-time but I had to give it up because my illness got too bad and I couldn't work. Now I work barely part-time for my sister's fiance at his house or at mine. My husband works full-time so I don't qualify for any government assistance. I really want to get back to full-time work, but I don't think I could cope with the hours or interacting with new people.I'm thinking maybe joining a support group would help, but I'm really anxious about it. I find it really hard to talk to my friends and family because I don't want to be a burden on them. They're all really busy and successful. I don't want to let them down because they probably think I'm getting better.Does anyone have any experience with support groups that they can share with me?

Breezer Swapping anti-depressant medications

Hi everyone I'm new here and thought I would share my story and see if anyone else has been through someone similar. I have suffered with panic attacks and depression since 11. Been on medication since 16 and that helps me live a "normal" life. Excep... View more

Hi everyone I'm new here and thought I would share my story and see if anyone else has been through someone similar. I have suffered with panic attacks and depression since 11. Been on medication since 16 and that helps me live a "normal" life. Except for the past 9 months I have had such bad anxiety I had to quit my job because I was having them every minute of that day. I went and saw a psychiatrist last week and he said the medication I was on is most likely no longer working as I've built up a tolerance and if I wanted to do a complete swap onto another ain't-depressant - no warning slowly just a straight swap. I was happy to do this as I was willing to try anything to feel "me" again . First 3 days where fine just felt Keith headed and dizzy, but I new I would go thought some side effects. Then day 4 things got really bad. I didn't get any sleep the night before because my brain wouldn't switch off. This made me more panicky. Then it got to the point I had been awake for 30 hours. I was feel nausea's, broke out in a rash and swollen face, bad panic attacks and racing heart. I went to hospital. I couldn't take the insomnia of which the new med was doing. They did tests and all normal - it was the horrendous swapping of medications that my brain was trying to absorb - coming down off one -then trying to balance out a new one. After being awake in the end for 49 hours I was discharged from hospital and finally at some point I think my body just crashed. I got to sleep!!! Was a miracle to me. i am no day 8 on the new medication - off the other and all thought the panic attacks are still there I can now think a lot clearer after some rest. I just hope that the insomnia does not return. can anyone else relate to what I've been through? Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I defiantly think you need to be a lot more kinder on yourself I know I was putting way to much pressure to expect to better and to not have such bad withdrawals. I have now told myself to take each day as it comes and to not worry about my future just yet. Health comes first if you don't have health you don't have life. if this has helped anyone or if anyone has questions I'm here for you xx

Macka90 Side effect of meds help
  • replies: 6

Hi everyone. I recently started on meds for my anxiety and was wondering how long the side effects last for? The one side effect I have is feeling sick, if I take my meds then try to eat I can't cause I feel sick have only been taking them 2 days. Pl... View more

Hi everyone. I recently started on meds for my anxiety and was wondering how long the side effects last for? The one side effect I have is feeling sick, if I take my meds then try to eat I can't cause I feel sick have only been taking them 2 days. Please help how can I get past this faster then normal. I hate this feeling.

Rita48 Lost

I started a SSRI a few weeks ago. Went back to my GP who doubled the dose. Felt better after the zombie like feeling subsided after a week or so. Feel pretty low now though. My GP said come back in a month. I feel though its pointless going back to h... View more

I started a SSRI a few weeks ago. Went back to my GP who doubled the dose. Felt better after the zombie like feeling subsided after a week or so. Feel pretty low now though. My GP said come back in a month. I feel though its pointless going back to her till then. Just me I think all pretty hopeless. beyondblue's clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636. Normal 0 false false false EN-AU X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:8.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:107%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

Laynelove Medication or not
  • replies: 3

Hi guys, i know this problem is a major one for a lot of people so I wanted to get some insight on what works for you. i know I need to do something desperately about my mental state but I'm not all that keen on going on meds again. Even though I was... View more

Hi guys, i know this problem is a major one for a lot of people so I wanted to get some insight on what works for you. i know I need to do something desperately about my mental state but I'm not all that keen on going on meds again. Even though I wasn't depressed once I went on meds I was sleeping constantly and gained about 20kg. They wore off after about a year or so and I honestly can't beat the thought of a lifetime chopping and changing medication. They also made my short term memory so bad and my vagueness was getting me in trouble a lot at work. I know that most people say that 'there's no amount of excersise that can cure your depression blah blah blah' but are there any natural remedies that people have actually tried and would recommend. when I used to go to the gym I felt really good but the second I stopped the depression came straight back. But then again the second I stopped meds I sank into a really hopeless state so I guess it's the same thing. thoughts??

Manna84 Experiences while taking anti-anxiety meds
  • replies: 1

Hi everyone, I'm hoping you can all help me. I've been experiencing severe anxiety lately and I have finally asked the Doctor for medication to help control it. What I'm concerned about however is how I will be mentally whilst taking them. In the pas... View more

Hi everyone, I'm hoping you can all help me. I've been experiencing severe anxiety lately and I have finally asked the Doctor for medication to help control it. What I'm concerned about however is how I will be mentally whilst taking them. In the past I have taking anti-depressants for ante-natal depression I suffered during my third pregnancy......problem is, it was like I was walking around in a constant haze and whilst I was calmer, I couldn't cry or feel much emotion. In addition, I have very little memory of my kids during the 16 months that I was taking them....it is like that whole period of my life was practically erased. I know I need the medication, but I really don't want that to happen again. If anyone could shed some light on how they felt/feel whilst on medication, I would really appreciate it

Debzmite Treatment - retreat?
  • replies: 1

Hi folks im feeling very frustrated. I've looked up health retreats but they only focus on health and fitness. The program's I have available to me are psychiatric hospitals and I don't want that, I stayed in a psychiatric hospital for 3 weeks last y... View more

Hi folks im feeling very frustrated. I've looked up health retreats but they only focus on health and fitness. The program's I have available to me are psychiatric hospitals and I don't want that, I stayed in a psychiatric hospital for 3 weeks last year and it seemed a waste of time. i found one place that has healthy eating, exercise, personal trainers, psychotherapy, hypnotherapy, as well as pathology etc but they want $50,000!!!! I did apply but I seriously doubt it will be approved for me to go there. is there somewhere that has a mixture of both therapy, exercise, healthy eating that is affordable??

Macka90 Does medication for anxiety work?

Hi everyone, I am writing this thread to let everyone know that I suffer from health anxiety and my first step to start a new anxiety free life was my trip to the GP about and now I have just taken my first dose of Anti anxiety meds to see if they wi... View more

Hi everyone, I am writing this thread to let everyone know that I suffer from health anxiety and my first step to start a new anxiety free life was my trip to the GP about and now I have just taken my first dose of Anti anxiety meds to see if they will help me, I am only on a small dose as my GP wants to see how I go with it first and then she might increase if need be. I have been a health anxiety suffer for as long as I can remember but have been able to control it until this year. I am now hoping these meds will help me and also talking to friends and family and of course people on here about it I will be able to control it. Anyone who has a thought about taking meds and they have helped along with talking please comment so I know I am not taking them for nothing.