FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Request my records be disposed of

Anonymous2
Community Member

I am currently a client of a psychologist at a private psychological practice.

I am aware the Australian Psychological Society's recommended approach is for records to be disposed of seven years after last contact with a client. However, at any given time, I would like my records, specifically the notes taken by my psychologist, be disposed of, or the originals provided to me, upon my request.

Will my psychologist honour this request if I were to make it? If not, under what circumstances can they be compelled?

3 Replies 3

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Anonymous, well that's a good question, one which I asked my doctor just recently.

I was told that all documents that are put on the system electronically would still be there, until the required amount of time expires, and this means that I believe you can get copies of your file, but they remain on your medical files for 7 years after your last visit.

In my situation I actually asked my doctor when I pass away about the life insurance company having access to my files from my doctor and from my psychologist, and I'm not sure if every state is the same, but I would think that would be very similar.

They will also want blood test results and access to all the scripts that I was given, but what worries me is that all insurance co's want your money, but to pay out is another matter. Geoff.

Anonymous2
Community Member

That's disappointing.

I don't like the idea that my personal information will be kept beyond when I want it to be. I don't think I will continue treatment.

dear Annymous, could I suggest that you check with your doctor and psychologist first before you decide not to have any more treatment, because I only want to stay well. Geoff.